MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Pieter C.

Malaysianwings 6th Anniversary

62 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you want MW 6th Anniversary to be held ?

• KUL
    • BKI
    • PEN
    • KCH
    • BKK
    • SGN
    • HKG
    • HKT

As suggested by some during the 5th Anniversary, we should start thinking about the 6th already, in order to get the most of the available (cheap) fares. :good:

Have included 4 Malaysian- as well as 4 foreign destinations, for our members to choose from...

If you have other cities in mind, please, let me know...

Happy voting !!! :pardon:

Is the Farnborough Air Show also in June/July?

Is the Farnborough Air Show also in June/July?

Next year it will be the Paris Air Show:

FROM MONDAY 20 JUNE TO SUNDAY 26 JUNE 2011

FROM 9:30 AM TO 6 PM AT PARIS LE BOURGET

http://www.paris-air-show.com/en

We might be able to get cheap AirAsia X tix as they are planning to launch Paris by Valentine's Day 2011 according to TF's unofficial "announcements".

If you are undecided, take a look at A.Net to check the traffic and the pix that are possible from these locations:

KUL: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Kuala+Lumpur+-+Int.+(Sepang)+(KUL+/+WMKK)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

BKI: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Kota+Kinabalu+-+Int.+(BKI+/+WBKK)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

PEN: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Penang+-+Int.+(Bayan+Lepas)+(PEN+/+WMKP)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

KCH: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Kuching+-+Int.+(KCH+/+WBGG)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

BKK: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Bangkok+-+Suvarnabhumi+Int.+(BKK+/+VTBS)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

HKT: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Phuket+(HKT+/+VTSP)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

SGN: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Ho+Chi+Minh+City+(Saigon)+-+Tan+Son+Nhat+(SGN+/+VVTS)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

HKG: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?aircraft_genericsearch=&airlinesearch=&countrysearch=-+Hong+Kong+-+Chek+Lap+Kok+Int.+(HKG+/+VHHH)&specialsearch=&daterange=&keywords=&range=&sort_order=photo_id+desc&page_limit=15&thumbnails=

Next year it will be the Paris Air Show:

FROM MONDAY 20 JUNE TO SUNDAY 26 JUNE 2011

FROM 9:30 AM TO 6 PM AT PARIS LE BOURGET

http://www.paris-air-show.com/en

We might be able to get cheap AirAsia X tix as they are planning to launch Paris by Valentine's Day 2011 according to TF's unofficial "announcements".

Even if no direct AirAsia X to Paris - from London also can, take Eurostar to Paris.

I have voted for Bangkok simply but as there is no provision for a second choice, I would like to mention here that Ho Chi Minh City comes a close second for me.

While Hong Kong is also attractive, I think we need Sneeze to advise us if June is good in terms of weather and landing direction (does this favour shooting from the new observation deck). I am personally not to keen if landing direction requires us to shoot from places where super-long bazooka zoom lenses are needed. That said, HKG's diversity in airlines / planes is unrivalled. And given that this year in June, Southern China is hit by such bad weather ... did this have an impact on Hong Kong's weather?

KC Sim

I think that the weather this year is freakish, suffering from the effects of El Nino. As everyone would know, spotting is very much weather dependant. So we just have to take our chances. After the foul weather on the Friday before our 5th anniversary session, who could have predicted the glorious afternoon of sunshine on Saturday?

Other important considerations are the hostilities from the police that spotters are encountering in KUL and PEN. Next year, construction of the new LCCT in KUL will be in full swing and airport patrols may be stepped up further. It may not be possible to have a full day's spotting without being hassled by the authorities.

Thanks flee for the 'warning'...

Is there any Malaysian Airport harrass-free from bulis at present ??? :huh:

No good for HKT in late Jun cos plane land from other side (not beach side). And I heard from member of Thailand Spotters who base in HKT a "no photo" sigh already at the beach

If you want to celebrate the 6th anniversary I will wait for you in BKK.

oh pls...just dont think of KCH..u will regret for life..

1. we dont have a good spotting location.

2. traffic with 320, atr-72 and 734 only.. 330 like once or twice a day. Most probably u will only see MH and AK

3. blue sky appears once in a blue moon

Edited by Wilber Tan

I've said it once, I'm saying it again : BKI

We must give support to our members at Sabah. If not Sabah, then let it be some location within Malaysia.

If we want to hold it outside Malaysia, it must at least be rotated between Malaysia-Foriegn-Malaysia

What is the use having the name "Malaysian"Wings if our anniversary is going to be held elsewhere all the time. Might as well change our name to "AsianWings" or "WorldWings"!

Actually what is it that you wanted to do during the anniversary? I would suggest plane spotting + dinner. If I may say so spotting is a huge risk in some of the location suggested like PEN. The spotting thread for that place itself is dead.

For BKI traffic is a bit boring and slow, plus some spotting locations are not accessible anymore due to runway extension works. Mind you we also get a small dose of being chased away but Bulis/MAB/Contractors. Can get Maswings ATR and Twin Otter if that's something unique that you are looking for. Cebu comes in about twice a week but on weekdays around 6pm.

For KCH they have Batavia but I think traffic is also slow.

Still think we should have it somewhere at least in ASEAN and not too far away so as to get more members' participation. I got a feeling if we have it too far not many would be willing to make the trip.

And I don't really like the feeling of getting interrupted by the bulis. It's really not fun.

Edited by Waiping

Still think we should have it somewhere at least in ASEAN and not too far away so as to get more members' participation. I got a feeling if we have it too far not many would be willing to make the trip.

And I don't really like the feeling of getting interrupted by the bulis. It's really not fun.

Bulis will, indeed, spoil the whole event, hence the alternatives in the Asean region: BKK, SGN and HKG all served by Air Asia, so when decided early (let's say 9-6 months ahead), good fare-deals can be had and booked...

We must give support to our members at Sabah. If not Sabah, then let it be some location within Malaysia.

If we want to hold it outside Malaysia, it must at least be rotated between Malaysia-Foriegn-Malaysia

What is the use having the name "Malaysian"Wings if our anniversary is going to be held elsewhere all the time. Might as well change our name to "AsianWings" or "WorldWings"!

Yes, a very good point indeed. I did wonder about holding it in SIN this year when voting for the 5th anniversary venue. However, the bulis activities at KUL ensured that the decision is made and it was a good choice because we had a fruitful spotting day at SIN.

Spotting is like golf - people will go anywhere if the incentive is there (e.g. good traffic or a challenging course). However, getting into trouble with the law is not something most people want to do. So until the bulis in Malaysia realises that there is a hobby called plane spotting, MalaysianWings is probably going to mean that it is a group of people who are interested in Malaysian aviation.

If we are to use cost as a criteria, then BKK is probably the more cost effective non-Malaysian spotting location. Hotels are more affordable and there is plentiful budget air travel possibilities from Malaysia too.

Finally, the anniversary spotting session that may be a "highlight" event for spotters who normally spot at Malaysian airports - so it should be something special and something that we would not normally do for the rest of the year. It should be something we will remember as special.

Good point bro. Nobody's not supporting the Malaysian cities, or else Uncle Pieter would have easily omitted KCH, PEN, BKI and why not our very own KUL for that matter. The option is there, and I believe if you are really interested for us to gather there, then we shall be there without bothering about traffic or even bullies. It is indeed a very democratic way of solving many unhappiness within us.

I don't think the term MalaysianWings would only refer to all aviation within Malaysia only. You can see over the years we have had people from all over the globe coming in here, sharing their thoughts, opinions and views. I am not against your idea of supporting the destinations in Malaysia :drinks:

On a personal note, I don't really travel outside Malaysia at all. I have been and spotted in KUL, BKI, LGK, and KCH also before but I don't fancy an overseas trip just to meet up with aviation enthusiasts and spot airplanes. If it materializes, it would be an added urge for me to get to the voted place to celebrate our anniversary. I think it is a very good idea to keep our options wide and not only narrow down to one prospect.

We might have differing views on this matter, but no hard feelings bro. Again, we're all here for only one aim and nothing more :) :drinks:

Actually what is it that you wanted to do during the anniversary? I would suggest plane spotting + dinner. If I may say so spotting is a huge risk in some of the location suggested like PEN. The spotting thread for that place itself is dead.

For BKI traffic is a bit boring and slow, plus some spotting locations are not accessible anymore due to runway extension works. Mind you we also get a small dose of being chased away but Bulis/MAB/Contractors. Can get Maswings ATR and Twin Otter if that's something unique that you are looking for. Cebu comes in about twice a week but on weekdays around 6pm.

For KCH they have Batavia but I think traffic is also slow.

We can have more than one event to celebrate the anniversary - we can have a dinner and invite one or two MW members to share some of the pix in a slide show presentation etc. We can also run other activities in Malaysia. Its just that for spotting, locations outside Malaysia may be more fruitful.

MAHB is expanding its activities overseas (e.g. MAHB has a hand in the new terminal of New Delhi airport) - so why shouldn't Malaysian Wings do the same?

I think that all who have voiced their opinions and others who have signed up for membership in Malaysianwings are all united in one aspect : Everyone has a positive interest in Malaysian aviation development.

And over the years, quite a few of us have travelled to KUL to be a part of the celebration of Mwings' 2nd, 3rd and 4th anniversaries. And if not for the problem surrounding the security requirements, this trend would have continued this year and definitely the next as well. Celebrating Mwings' anniversary in a nearby location merely is a response to the restrictive security situation ... and in no way dilute the interest in Malaysian aviation matters.

The need to mitigate the cost of travelling to the chosen destination was top of the consideration ... and as Pieter pointed out, that is why this discussion is taking place less than a week after the 5th Anniversary celebration. This way, those keen to travel to the chosen destination could plan to take advantage of special offers by LCCs.

The day the security situation normalise at key Malaysian airports such as KUL and PEN where there is relative diversity in traffic, I am certain Mwings will waste no time celebrating the anniversary at home. And foreign members will certainly support the event as they have done before.

If eventually this vote results in KUL or PEN being the preferred destination for the 6th Anniversary celebration and the security situation does not permit photography, then members - locals and foreign - will accept the situation and come to the chosen venue for the fellowship and goodwill and for a good makan session.

KC Sim

KUL still 1st, with BKK and HKG equal 2nd...

However, KUL: bulis, bulis - beredar, beredar :finger:

Keep on voting, peepz :pardon: