MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

An update from www.airlineroute.net on KUL operators :-

Turkish Airlines recently filed preliminary changes for long-haul operation in summer 2018 season, effective from 25MAR18. Planned changes as of 05OCT17 as follow.

Istanbul Ataturk – Kuala Lumpur eff 07MAY18 A330-300 replaces 777-300ER, 1 daily

Air Mauritius has revised planned Airbus A350-900XWB operation in October 2017, previously scheduled for inaugural flight on 19OCT17. Latest update as of 08OCT17 shows the inaugural rescheduled to 23OCT17, operating as Mauritius – Singapore – Kuala Lumpur, departing MRU on 23OCT17 and 25OCT17, 2 flights only.

MK646 MRU2040 – 0735+1SIN0905+1 – 1005+1KUL 359 23OCT17
MK646 MRU2055 – 0750+1SIN0920+1 – 1020+1KUL 359 25OCT17

MK647 KUL1335 – 1435SIN1605 – 1900MRU 359 24OCT17/26OCT17

To summarise, TK will be redeploying its A330 on th KUL route from May 2018 onward and MK will be launching their A350 to SIN and KUL for two flights only.

Edited by kandiah k

Does anyone know if Egypt Air still flies into KUL?

37536930636_165f9b8a15_c.jpg

Have not seen them for a long time - since 2015.

Only see Ethiopian and Air Mauritius as the only airlines from Africa at the moment.

37536930636_165f9b8a15_c.jpg

Have not seen them for a long time - since 2015.

Only see Ethiopian and Air Mauritius as the only airlines from Africa at the moment.

Thanks flee :) Guessed as much that they have been missing in KUL but no official news on it just like Turkmenistan and Mega Maldives and so on.

KUL and CGK were suspended after egypt's troubles in 2016. There was a planned resumption of service to KUL but that did not go ahead so they only fly to BKK at the moment (I think just 3 weekly rather than daily)

KUL and CGK were suspended after egypt's troubles in 2016. There was a planned resumption of service to KUL but that did not go ahead so they only fly to BKK at the moment (I think just 3 weekly rather than daily)

Thanks Izanee

China Eastern schedules additional SE Asia routes in W17

Nanjing – Quanzhou – Kuala Lumpur eff 17NOV17 3 weekly

MU2719 NKG1955 – 2145JJN2245 – 0330+1KUL 320 357

MU2720 KUL0430 – 0900JJN – 1000 – 1145NKG 320 146

Edited by kandiah k

KA will end its BKI flights wef JAN18 per airlineroute (currently served 5 weekly). Last scheduled service is 07JAN18.

Also, QR will be showing lots of Airbus love for KUL. QR will only operate 332/333/346 flights to KUL for NW17/18. No more 787/77W.

That will be the end of almost 33 years of KA service to the airline's first ever commercial destination...and quite a reduction in seat capacity on the route too.

Wonder what cause it to make such decision?

Also, QR will be showing lots of Airbus love for KUL. QR will only operate 332/333/346 flights to KUL for NW17/18. No more 787/77W.

All that Airbus love is meaningless without the A350 :(

That will be the end of almost 33 years of KA service to the airline's first ever commercial destination...and quite a reduction in seat capacity on the route too.

It all boils down to money. BKI hasn't exactly been a cash cow for KA, so they're better off using their resources on more profitable routes.

Didn't know BKI was one of KA's first destination, but good to know. But AK has twice daily flights to HKG, so that could be a reason. MH stopped flying BKI-HKG a while back (when you could fly KUL-KCH-BKI-HKG vv on MH 60/61).

Didn't know BKI was one of KA's first destination, but good to know.

It was THE first commercial flight KA flew - with a 732. This was pre-absorption into Swire group

Didn't know BKI was one of KA's first destination, but good to know. But AK has twice daily flights to HKG, so that could be a reason. MH stopped flying BKI-HKG a while back (when you could fly KUL-KCH-BKI-HKG vv on MH 60/61).

All that Airbus love is meaningless without the A350 :(

It all boils down to money. BKI hasn't exactly been a cash cow for KA, so they're better off using their resources on more profitable routes.

Years ago, Sabah and Sabahans were wealthy. There was more $500 and $1000 MYR note circulation in HK than KL (except in BNM). There are more people travel presently but average net worth has dropped significantly. Hence, LCC is more popular.

Years ago, Sabah and Sabahans were wealthy

Years ago, there were some wealthy individuals residing in Sabah (Sabahans and non-Sabahans)

Apparently there are a few about still, evidenced by current Watergate issue :)

That will be the end of almost 33 years of KA service .....

Actually, it will be the end of Swire group's air service to Jesselton/BKI, history of which goes far beyond KA's 33 years :(

But not totally out of the blue considering dire state parent CX has sunk to recently

Used to be HKG was the transit hub of choice for us Sabahans (for our family anyway) and with the CX/MH "joint flight" arrangement on the route, must have been a real money printer

What a contrast it must be, for nowadays we have AK dominating and BI & ME3 offering fares which KA/CX can never come near

Also, I guess it's a price to pay for the vastly expanded reach into mainland Chinese cities from BKI, by AK and the gang of Chinese carriers, making HKG less vital as a transit point for us. I reckon the final nail in coffin would have been the recent Lion/Malindo series of charters by the local tour agencies, traditionally loyal supporters of KX/CX

I guess my family too is part of this shifted allegiance - last time we travelled KA/CX was our vacation to Japan five years ago, our most recent visit to HKG was on AK and Nic's recent summer vacation saw him flying CZ with transit at CAN instead :)

Actually, it will be the end of Swire group's air service to Jesselton/BKI, history of which goes far beyond KA's 33 years :(

But not totally out of the blue considering dire state parent CX has sunk to recently

Used to be HKG was the transit hub of choice for us Sabahans (for our family anyway) and with the CX/MH "joint flight" arrangement on the route, must have been a real money printer

What a contrast it must be, for nowadays we have AK dominating and BI & ME3 offering fares which KA/CX can never come near

Also, I guess it's a price to pay for the vastly expanded reach into mainland Chinese cities from BKI, by AK and the gang of Chinese carriers, making HKG less vital as a transit point for us. I reckon the final nail in coffin would have been the recent Lion/Malindo series of charters by the local tour agencies, traditionally loyal supporters of KX/CX

I guess my family too is part of this shifted allegiance - last time we travelled KA/CX was our vacation to Japan five years ago, our most recent visit to HKG was on AK and Nic's recent summer vacation saw him flying CZ with transit at CAN instead :)

I think HKG also in general suffers from super heated competition from mainland airports vying for transit passengers.

While, HKG-BKI seat capacity is reduced, seems like there is a strong market for CAN-BKI route, judging by the frequency of flights now (4 times daily - 2x AK, 2x CZ).

But, overall goes to show Sabah as a whole is low yielding destination for airlines..:)

Yes, yields have plummeted since LCCs became pervasive. I still remember the days when KUL-BKI fares that are in 4 figures. These days, most of the travel to Sabah is for leisure and holidays. So yields are understandably low.

Yes, yields have plummeted since LCCs became pervasive. I still remember the days when KUL-BKI fares that are in 4 figures. These days, most of the travel to Sabah is for leisure and holidays. So yields are understandably low.

Back in the old days mh bki-kul costs myr800 one way while super saver cuts it to barely to 500. These are recoverable yield revenue. Nowadays anything above rm200 people would start to complain. Only lcc can survive with extreme bean counter measures implemented while i believe such measures should not have happen in legacy carriers hard product, it seems most airlines are going towards that sad cost cutting trend. Head to ak social network and u see passengers still complain on ak on the cabin and still asking for way cheaper tickets when it is clearly impossible unless some form of subsidies is implemented.

Last time i showed some or my friends the estimated hourly operating cost of a agusta aw139 and airbus a320. Their reaction "wah so expensive no need to fly lor" cringe me so hard to hear this kind of typical millennial respond.

Edited by jahur

Back in the old days mh bki-kul costs myr800 one way while super saver cuts it to barely to 500. These are recoverable yield revenue. Nowadays anything above rm200 people would start to complain. Only lcc can survive with extreme bean counter measures implemented while i believe such measures should not have happen in legacy carriers hard product, it seems most airlines are going towards that sad cost cutting trend. Head to ak social network and u see passengers still complain on ak on the cabin and still asking for way cheaper tickets when it is clearly impossible unless some form of subsidies is implemented.

Last time i showed some or my friends the estimated hourly operating cost of a agusta aw139 and airbus a320. Their reaction "wah so expensive no need to fly lor" cringe me so hard to hear this kind of typical millennial respond.

Back in the old days, KUL-KCH/BKI/SIN was MH cash cow, a source to subsidize loss making international routes. After AK commenced service to BKI/KCH, MH's golden era diminished.

You think millennials are the only ones who are clueless about air travel? There are plenty of non-millennials who have made cringe-worthy remarks like how yields can be improved by slashing premium capacity, how the 787s are the magic cure for an airline's misfortunes, while holding on to the wet dream that KUL-US non-stop is viable.

I know of some non-millennials who moan about airline XYZ leaving KUL, but did nothing to contribute to that route's success apart from buying one bargain basement ticket during the MATTA fair. Oh, and non-millennials have also made silly comments like how KA taking over KUL from CX is actually a good thing.

Blame the millennials, of course.

Apparently Malindo starting up BKI-Chengdu next month and BKI-Changsha in December

Then to Tianjin and Guangzhou "before Chinese New Year"

Even less of a surprise then that KA decided to bid BKI farewell :)