MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

8 hours ago, jahur said:

... So far the longest China based airline that has consistently flown into BKI remains to be China Southern.

So true, I recall they had (in pre-pandemic times) multiple daily flights into BKI from CAN - I'm guessing perhaps that was intended in part at least as transit feed to CZ's traffic at CAN

But even before that, CZ was already the 'go to' carrier doing the school holidays charter flights ex-BKI to far flung secondary Chinese 😄

On 3/20/2023 at 9:24 AM, nrazmoor said:

Indonesia carrier TransNusa set for Malaysian launch

KUALA LUMPUR: TransNusa, an Indonesian airline, is gearing up for its Malaysian launch "very soon" after finally receiving the greenlight to start operating here.

In an interview with the New Straits Times recently, PT TransNusa Aviation Mandiri chief executive officer, group aviation Datuk Bernard Francis said the carrier would kickstart its operations with Airbus A320 aircraft from Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).

"We have got all the approvals from the Malaysian side and also the Indonesian side to start two daily flights from next month.

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2023/03/890132/indonesia-carrier-transnusa-set-malaysian-launch

TRANSNUSA ADDS KUALA LUMPUR FLIGHTS FROM APRIL 2023

Indonesian carrier TransNusa from mid-April 2023 is adding new route to Malaysia, as it schedules Jakarta – Kuala Lumpur nonstop flight. From 14APR23, Airbus A320 aircraft to operate this route twice daily.

8B671 CGK0700 – 1010KUL 320 D
8B677 CGK1650 – 2005KUL 320 D

8B672 KUL1040 – 1150CGK 320 D
8B678 KUL2035 – 2145CGK 320 D

After PMX approval

'Sarawak-owned airline to start operations after acquiring four planes'

KUCHING: Sarawak Premier Tan Sri Abang Johari Openg today said the state’s boutique airline will begin operations after it has acquired aircraft. He said the airline will acquire at least four turboprop planes, each with a seating capacity of 120 passengers, that will be operating within the region.
https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/211682/sarawak-owned-airline-to-start-operations-after-acquiring-four-planes-/

Have yet to hear any turboprop aircrafts capable of handling 120 passengers single class. The Q400 is 90 pax and the atr72 is 78. Either he is hearing wrong info or he was babbling. Even the C130 can only carry 92 passengers. More than that requires removing seats.

1 hour ago, jahur said:

After PMX approval

I like how you put Sarawak-owned airline as foreign carriers 😂 After all, us Semenanjung get a 3-month visa waiver upon arrival. 

Hahah ! Reminds me of when my ex-work colleagues from PJ HQ office used to say "... we in Malaysia do this way, but you in Sabah & Sarawak do so different ......"

Sorry, I diverge ...... 😀

Edited by BC Tam

2 hours ago, jahur said:

After PMX approval

KUCHING: Sarawak Premier Tan Sri Abang Johari Openg today said the state’s boutique airline will begin operations after it has acquired aircraft. He said the airline will acquire at least four turboprop planes, each with a seating capacity of 120 passengers, that will be operating within the region.
https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news/211682/sarawak-owned-airline-to-start-operations-after-acquiring-four-planes-/

Have yet to hear any turboprop aircrafts capable of handling 120 passengers single class. The Q400 is 90 pax and the atr72 is 78. Either he is hearing wrong info or he was babbling. Even the C130 can only carry 92 passengers. More than that requires removing seats.

Sarawak class... 

Seriously, this lalang politician does not know what he is talking about. It is coming from an ill written PR ...

Certainly the narrative has mutated over course of time 😉

As I recall it

1) first it was to provide 'direct international flights' into KCH (and Sarawak I suppose) as that segment was/is somewhat lacking - you can of course go into a wholly separate discussion on that issue, but probably not appropriate here .....

2) then when PM made that statement pre-Raya, 'agreed in principle' as a market manipulator tool to drive down airfare costs Semenanjung-Borneo (I don't recall if that was Sarawak specific or EM in general)
3) now with an anticipated fleet of 120-seater turboprops, one cannot even start to speculate how those (already declared) objectives can be worked upon 🤔

The model for the boutique airline will be a different model. It is a business model. I cannot reveal now because it is mine

Well, hopefully said business model is not based upon a fleet of 120-seater turboprop

He said the state-owned Hornbill Skyways Sdn Bhd, which has over 30 years experience, will be the main operator of the boutique airline.

“So, actually we have the experience to operate the airline. But what we need is a new business model that will allow the airline to fly within the region,” he said.

How can you mention "30 years experience" and "new business model" in same breath ?! 🙄

He said he will not reveal if the low boutique airline fare will affect the commercial airlines flying to Sarawak.

“I will keep it to myself,” he added.

I'm pretty certain the likes of MH, FY, OD, AK, Z9, TR, BI etc will be finely tuned to every new twitch in this 'new airline' - no way you can keep to yourself la 😁

Abg Jo is not the right person to talk about technical details of the proposed airline.

He should delegate that matter to a more appropriate or relevant spokeperson. 

Would be interesting to see the outcome of this venture. Who knows it may eventually turns into a full fledged carrier on par with established regional and international carriers of today.

Edited by Alif A. F.

“We don’t focus on profit — if you can cover the overhead, that is good enough. After all, those who benefit are the tourism players, coffee shops, ‘kek lapis’ operators and so on.

“When you calculate the returns, it will be the whole spectrum in the tourism industry,” he said.

Abang Johari also did not commit an answer to whether the boutique airline’s fares will undercut other airlines.

While I understand they are not looking to make any profit, I really hope the new airline will break even annually at least. Airline is a brutal industry. The air navigation charges, and fuel alone are enough to kill them if they do not have a firm foot on the ground. Running a commercial airline is totally different than running a small  charter airline, which is what they have now.

Meanwhile, when asked about the boutique airline, Minister of Tourism, Creative Industry and Performing Arts Dato Sri Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah said it would be a new entity and not be branded using the existing brands Sarawak has such as Hornbill Skyways.

“The boutique airline will be a new entity, though we have yet to find any particular name for the boutique airline. Hornbill Skyways will continue to exist as an entity of its own and continue its usual services,” he said.

Meanwhile Dato Sri Abdul Karim Rahman Hamzah seems to be talking more sense, and it will be a new entity. Hornbill Skyways is too tainted to even consider commercial services.

What I can see is a few Twin Otter, ATR72 (if they are taking over RAS routes) and maybe few A220. Anything bigger will be death on arrival for the new entity. A220 with ETOPS180 and 6,670km brochures range can cover most of Asia-Pacific given KCH location. Perhaps we can see the resumption of KCH-PER route. Folks from Miri, Sibu and Bintulu will no longer need to fly via KUL or BWN.

INDONESIA AIRASIA MAY/JUNE 2023 NETWORK EXPANSION

Indonesia AirAsia in May and June 2023 continues network expansion from Jakarta, with the scheduling of additional 3 domestic and international routes.

Jakarta – Ho Chi Minh City eff 31MAY23 4 weekly A320 (Last served until April 2013)
QZ290 CGK2205 – 0105+1SGN 320 x246
QZ291 SGN0135 – 0435CGK 320 x357

Jakarta – Kuching eff 15JUN23 3 weekly A320 (Last served until January 2010)
QZ530 CGK0730 – 1040KCH 320 246
QZ531 KCH1110 – 1220CGK 320 246

Jakarta – Labuan Bajo eff 16JUN23 4 weekly A320
QZ860 CGK0710 – 1035LBJ 320 x246
QZ861 LBJ1100 – 1220CGK 320 x246

Previously reported route addition in June:
Jakarta – Perth eff 02JUN23 4 weekly A320

From Aeroroutes

Istanbul – Kuala Lumpur

TK60/61 30OCT23 – 13NOV23 2 of 7 weekly B789 replaces B77W

TK62/63 eff 29OCT23 A359 replaces B789

KUL will be TK's sole 7 weekly B77W destination in Southeast Asia for TK's NW23 schedule. SIN will get it 1-2 weekly B77W services. CGK will be downgraded to A359.

NEPAL AIRLINES ADDS KUALA LUMPUR – BHAIRAHAWA SERVICE IN JUNE 2023

Nepal Airlines in June 2023 plans to operate international service at Bhairahawa, with tentative scheduling of 3 Kathmandu – Kuala Lumpur – Bhairahawa – Kathmandu flights in June 2023, with A320 aircraft. Schedule from 12JUN23 to 27JUN23 as follows.

RA421 KTM2050 – 0335+1KUL 320 1
RA422 KUL0435 – 0730BWA0815 – 0900KTM 320 2

The airline in June 2023 also operates 4 weekly Kathmandu – Kuala Lumpur terminator flight.

From aeroroutes…

Amsterdam – Kuala Lumpur – Jakarta eff 30OCT23 5 weekly 787-9 (Kuala Lumpur service no longer extends to Manila, replaced by Jakarta. Jakarta operating via Kuala Lumpur instead of Singapore)

KUL downgraded to 787-9 and to 5 weekly (compared to pre COVID). Hope they continue to increase services and the traffic to KUL. It seems a shame to throw away years of service and codeshare with MH. KUL was once a 10 weekly KLM destination (3 weekly eventually given to AF who then stopped flying after 1.5 years or so). 

this is showing that the demand to KUL (and onwards) has not really recovered. I’m surprised that the new government is not pushing the tourism boat out. Again, they are concentrating only on china and not elsewhere. This is very shortsighted. They have not capitalised on the rebound tourism following 2-3 years of the pandemic. very very strange considering that tourism is the 3rd highest contributor to GDP. 

CITILINK ADDS MEDAN – KUALA LUMPUR FROM MID-JUNE 2023

Indonesian carrier Citilink from mid-June 2023 plans to add new service to Malaysia, with the opening of Medan Kualanamu – Kuala Lumpur route. Effective 16JUN23, Airbus A320 aircraft will operate this route on daily basis.

QG536 KNO1700 – 1910KUL 320 D
QG537 KUL1545 – 1600KNO 320 D

Nice one, looking forward to an Australian link for Turkish from KL!! wishful thinking maybe. if QF doesn’t want to fly, TK can join in!

also looking forward to getting Air Astana back!

3 hours ago, Izanee said:

Nice one, looking forward to an Australian link for Turkish from KL!! wishful thinking maybe. if QF doesn’t want to fly, TK can join in!

Also looking forward to getting Air Astana back!

TK's route to MEL/SYD will be via SIN, the CEO recently announced during the IATA Conference. This will give SQ a bit of competition. RN will soon be plying the same route. 

ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES JUNE – AUGUST 2023 SE ASIA AIRCRAFT CHANGES
source: aeroroutes

Ethiopian Airlines since last week filed operational aircraft changes for Addis Ababa – Singapore – Kuala Lumpur service. Since 17JUN23 (Addis Ababa departure), 1 of 4 weekly service has been operated by Boeing 787-9, instead of the -8.

The 787-9 departs Addis Ababa on Saturdays until 12AUG23, except 05AUG23. On 08JUL23, service is operated by 787-8, but 13JUL23 (Thursday) is operated by the -9.

ET638 ADD2320 – 1450+1SIN1550+1 – 1710+1KUL 789 6
ET638 ADD2320 – 1450+1SIN1550+1 – 1710+1KUL 788 134

ET639 KUL2315 – 0035+1SIN0200+1 – 0550+1ADD 789 7
ET639 KUL2315 – 0035+1SIN0200+1 – 0550+1ADD 788 245

Air China has quietly launched a new TFU-KUL (TFU = Chengdu Tianfu Airport) today.

CA483 CFU1320 - 1735KUL 1356 32N

CA484 KUL1850 - 2325CFU 1356 32N

And separately, Sky Angkor will add KUL beginning 18 August 2023.

ZA666 PNH1855 - 2200KUL 320 D (Interesting flight number, might be the first 666 flight number at KUL)

ZA667 KUL2300 - 2350PNH 320 D

Cheeky little route launch by Air China! That’s good, I was thinking KUL was being left out of Air china’s expansion plans…

SQ will reduce SIN-KUL from 68 weekly to 47 weekly beginning NW23/24 schedules (only SQ 126 will remain on 359 plus 106 on weekdays and 108 on weekends). As for PEN, SQ will fly 5 daily on 738 instead of 738/7M8 mix and Scoot will increase from 18 to 21 weekly flights. And lastly, MYY will be increased to 3x weekly. I am shocked that SQ Group has 8 daily flights to PEN!

Edited by Craig