MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Raj

Foreign Carriers and Malaysia

Meanwhile..

Air India Express over the weekend operated last Chennai – Kuala Lumpur route, previously served 4 times a week. Last flight on this route, operated by Boeing 737-800, was scheduled on 12FEB17.

Sichuan Airlines today (15FEB17) launches new route to Malaysia, offering nonstop Guangzhou Johor Bahru route.

Airbus A320 aircraft is scheduled to operate this route twice a week, departing Guangzhou on Wednesdays and Sundays.

3U8801 CAN2055 0025+1JHB 320 37

3U8802 JHB0125 0505CAN 320 14

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/271417/sichuan-airlines-adds-guangzhou-johor-bahru-from-feb-2017/

Meanwhile..

They didn't even give it a good go. 4 weekly service is just pitiful ...

I can't believe that KUL is so crap that AI doesn't fly there direct. There was a time in the nineties that AI flew almost 12 times weekly to KUL.

Also we are so low yielding that we don't get a proper Jetstar or Qantas service. So strange when QF was MH's sponsor into OneWorld

They didn't even give it a good go. 4 weekly service is just pitiful ...

I can't believe that KUL is so crap that AI doesn't fly there direct. There was a time in the nineties that AI flew almost 12 times weekly to KUL.

Also we are so low yielding that we don't get a proper Jetstar or Qantas service. So strange when QF was MH's sponsor into OneWorld

Yeah exactly. With their cancellation of services into KUL, there is officially no Indian carrier who fly into Malaysia at all.

Previously, the bilateral between Malaysia and India only allowed flights into certain points in India and Malaysia respectively, hence why MAA, DEL and BOM were crucial transit points for those intended to fly into other secondary airports. But today, the other points have opened its doors, so flights into other points have become possible with minimal flights into the top three points. In fact BLR, TRZ and COK have seen an increase in passenger numbers and flight frequencies as a result of that.

It is still a wonder why the QF group does not fly into any Malaysian points. There are huge number of Malaysians who travel/live down under, that is also a contributing factor to the high loads of MH and D7 flights to Australian points.

Like the Indian carriers, the Aussie carries have also not been able to tap on the opportunities here, maybe they are afraid of the stiff competition from MH/OD/D7. :aggressive: :aggressive: :aggressive:

Yeah exactly. With their cancellation of services into KUL, there is officially no Indian carrier who fly into Malaysia at all.

Previously, the bilateral between Malaysia and India only allowed flights into certain points in India and Malaysia respectively, hence why MAA, DEL and BOM were crucial transit points for those intended to fly into other secondary airports. But today, the other points have opened its doors, so flights into other points have become possible with minimal flights into the top three points. In fact BLR, TRZ and COK have seen an increase in passenger numbers and flight frequencies as a result of that.

It is still a wonder why the QF group does not fly into any Malaysian points. There are huge number of Malaysians who travel/live down under, that is also a contributing factor to the high loads of MH and D7 flights to Australian points.

Like the Indian carriers, the Aussie carries have also not been able to tap on the opportunities here, maybe they are afraid of the stiff competition from MH/OD/D7. :aggressive: :aggressive: :aggressive:

If I remember vaguely, Jetstar International did fly from SYD to KUL back during their infant years. Or was it from MEL? I could not remember. Malaysia is such a low yield route many airlines find it not worthy to deploy much or if any capacity solely for KUL, rather do a triangular with SIN or not operating at all. Unless you are EK, which can mount three/four widebodies a day, drawing all the passengers away from MH.

If I remember vaguely, Jetstar International did fly from SYD to KUL back during their infant years. Or was it from MEL? I could not remember. Malaysia is such a low yield route many airlines find it not worthy to deploy much or if any capacity solely for KUL, rather do a triangular with SIN or not operating at all. Unless you are EK, which can mount three/four widebodies a day, drawing all the passengers away from MH.

Foreign airlines serving KUL need to be better than the Malaysian based ones in the following areas, amongst other things:

1. Lower ticket prices
  2. Better service and pampering of pax
  3. More flexibility in flight date changes
  4. Good refund policy
  5. Generous checked in baggage allowances

If you are a foreign airline with a higher cost base than the Malaysian based airlines, you already start at a disadvantage. Is it a surprise that many airlines that are no longer state owned or state sponsored find it difficult to compete in this kind of market?

Edited by flee

Thai Airways just opened up booking for BKI on Thai Smiles.

Fares are from RM917return not exactly cheap even with the 3 hour 5 min expected flight duration. I could take MAS and save about rm200++ or take Thai Airways widebody for the BKK leg. On another note MAS website quoted me a whooping 4.2k return while booking sectors separately gives me RM716 for the flights.

Thai Airways just opened up booking for BKI on Thai Smiles.

Fares are from RM917return not exactly cheap even with the 3 hour 5 min expected flight duration. I could take MAS and save about rm200++ or take Thai Airways widebody for the BKK leg. On another note MAS website quoted me a whooping 4.2k return while booking sectors separately gives me RM716 for the flights.

that extra RM200 justifies the convenient of direct flight and most probably superior inflight service than MH. Ive never been on Thai Smiles but before this TG did deploy some Thai SMiles A320 for their morning flight ex KUL. Service wise was still of high quality as per TG's norm but plane lacked IFE. I dont know if it's just me but flying TG even in economy always feels premium due to their high quality service.

that extra RM200 justifies the convenient of direct flight and most probably superior inflight service than MH. Ive never been on Thai Smiles but before this TG did deploy some Thai SMiles A320 for their morning flight ex KUL. Service wise was still of high quality as per TG's norm but plane lacked IFE. I dont know if it's just me but flying TG even in economy always feels premium due to their high quality service.

Hopefully Thai smiles does heavy marketing. Most of pax exiting out of BKI are cost cautious. As for absence of IFE i think that is not important nowadays but it would be great if they have AC/USB charging port and proper seat pitch instead. I would take the extra RM200 fare if it were to be a Thai Airways A330 being deployed.

JQ operated SYD-KUL for a short time. Well JQ is returning to SGN, although they do have a bigger brand presence in the Vietnamese market through Jetstar Pacific (BL) and face less competition, they also fly MEL-BKK/HKT/SGN/SIN/DPS and SYD-HKT/SGN/DPS, so I think if JQ is looking at expanding in SE Asia next they might look into KUL, or even PEN, BKI next. However for the time being it seems like they want to expand into China.

AirAsia is doing a great job flying Aussies into Malaysia and promoting the market, they might consider looking at adding PEN, BKI direct flights into Australia in the future, especially with A320NEO's being able to reach MEL/SYD.

based on my dummy booking for the month of May, TG is reinstating its morning flight and introducing late evening flight to KUL with the flight to be operated by Thai Smile

and ET is still flying KUL-BKK route in May?i thought they had discontinued this effective March.....

Edited by Khalil Abd Halim

based on my dummy booking for the month of May, TG is reinstating its morning flight and introducing late evening flight to KUL with the flight to be operated by Thai Smile

and ET is still flying KUL-BKK route in May?i thought they had discontinued this effective March.....

It'll take effect in June. I'm flying this route next next week - looking forward to it (:

Presume that that Thai Smile is as LCC or has LCC seats?

i believe it's more akin to Silk Air for SQ, not LCC but main service to secondary routes and of course tone down frills....no IFE, snacks rather than full course meals etc....in any event, it's at par with MH mainline service..so im not complaining.....

i believe it's more akin to Silk Air for SQ, not LCC but main service to secondary routes and of course tone down frills....no IFE, snacks rather than full course meals etc....in any event, it's at par with MH mainline service..so im not complaining.....

Add no lounge access (except for TG ROP members), no business class, and possibly no interlining besides TG. It not on par with MH at all. Despite what most people here think, MH is not even close to the LCC level.

To my knowledge, MH still offers (which some full-service carriers doesn't even offer):

- complimentary meals and drinks even on short hops

- complimentary checked bags

- baggage interlining with OW partners and sometimes with others

- complimentary seat assignments (coming soon)

Presume that that Thai Smile is as LCC or has LCC seats?

Thai Smile has changed their business model so many times that many of us have lost track what is it actually.

Add no lounge access (except for TG ROP members), no business class, and possibly no interlining besides TG. It not on par with MH at all. Despite what most people here think, MH is not even close to the LCC level.

To my knowledge, MH still offers (which some full-service carriers doesn't even offer):

- complimentary meals and drinks even on short hops

- complimentary checked bags

- baggage interlining with OW partners and sometimes with others

- complimentary seat assignments (coming soon)

im talking about inflight service & comfort, except for the lack of IFE, for me their service is similar to MH the so called "5 star value carrier"..whatever that means....

Friend just flew with them. Service is on OD level minus Business class products and perks. Seats on economy very tight some rows are at 28seat pitch way below Airasia. Loads on both flights were quite low as well due to fare cost.

im talking about inflight service & comfort, except for the lack of IFE, for me their service is similar to MH the so called "5 star value carrier"..whatever that means....

Opps. i misread. Sorry!

Cathay Dragon from July 2017 to October 2017 is increasing Hong Kong Penang flights, based on comparison with same period in 2016. The airline from 02JUL17 to 26OCT17 will introduce 12th weekly flight, operated by Airbus A320 aircraft.

See http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/272245/cathay-dragon-increases-s17-penang-flights-/

For those who said KA is an improvement/not a downgrade from CX, we might see KA 320/321 paying KUL a visit soon. 5 times a day on those narrow body or getting subbed for a 1-clas 320. CX group loves frequency more than capacity.

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this the first regularly scheduled KA 320/321 into PEN?