MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

MAS New Boeing 737-800s with Sky Interior

I thought Flydubai was the first airline to operate a 737 with the Sky Interior?

Yes, but MH claims that they are the first legacy carrier to have this.

Is it me? Or is the aisle wider in 2.24, with the crew walking along is, it seemed very wide...

One of the wonders of Boeing Sky Interior...

9M-MXB scheduled to land in KUL not SZB. STA 0601 GMT (1301 LT).

MXB was sighted inside the hangar at KLIA.

MXB was sighted inside the hangar at KLIA.

She will go straight to work without the trials as previously done by MXA?

Is it me? Or is the aisle wider in 2.24, with the crew walking along is, it seemed very wide...

I was amazed as well. You can fit two of her in the aisle with no problem. Overall, it feels like a widebody experience in a narrowbody aircraft.

Yes, but MH claims that they are the first legacy carrier to have this.

You can spin it in many different ways...

First 738 Sky Interior with a wau on its tail;

First 738 Sky Interior to operate to Japan and South Korea;

First 738 Sky Interior to serve teh tarik inflight...

Verdict on the new biz seats of MH's 738:

A mega-huge improvement on the MH 734s' (anything will be an improvement on those ancient 734 seats, so a very easy task to accomplish);

Not as spacious as Jet's 738s. I still take my hats off to Jet's.

Recline and leg/foot rests/ pitch are largely similar to MH's 333 - meaning not exactly great for overnight flights to/from HND or ICN. But should be OK for daytime flights or short naps.

Some may fine the leather to be hard, but I found it to be just fine. SOme lumbar support feature would have been better.

Let's hope the new biz seats on the new A333, arriving in April or May, to be more suitable for long overnight flights.

Special Going Places inflight mag for the 738, incorporating the 738-only inflight entertainment guide.

As the PTVs are touch-screen versions and are relatively reactive in response to touches, I think MH could have opted for a smaller handset (dont know if the Panasonic system provided a choice or not) - as one could practically avoided using the handset, as I did, and just make one's selections on the screen itself (from volume, brightness, switching screen format from 4:3 to 16:9, etc)

Seat recline and leg rest extensions are not electronically controlled. Pneumatic controls take some time to react.

..... Quite spacious but not as spacious as the FA walking. Probably shes super slim.

Either that or the lady in black in your pic is like ..... err substantial ? :pardon:

(if by any remote or otherwise chance the particular lady in black reads this, my apologies in advance :p )

Edited by BC Tam

Is Firefly getting the 737-8H6 or are they acquiring some other leased in birds?

They should be getting the leased birds SV

Verdict on the new biz seats of MH's 738:

A mega-huge improvement on the MH 734s' (anything will be an improvement on those ancient 734 seats, so a very easy task to accomplish);

Not as spacious as Jet's 738s. I still take my hats off to Jet's.

Recline and leg/foot rests/ pitch are largely similar to MH's 333 - meaning not exactly great for overnight flights to/from HND or ICN. But should be OK for daytime flights or short naps.

Some may fine the leather to be hard, but I found it to be just fine. SOme lumbar support feature would have been better.

Let's hope the new biz seats on the new A333, arriving in April or May, to be more suitable for long overnight flights.

Special Going Places inflight mag for the 738, incorporating the 738-only inflight entertainment guide.

As the PTVs are touch-screen versions and are relatively reactive in response to touches, I think MH could have opted for a smaller handset (dont know if the Panasonic system provided a choice or not) - as one could practically avoided using the handset, as I did, and just make one's selections on the screen itself (from volume, brightness, switching screen format from 4:3 to 16:9, etc)

Seat recline and leg rest extensions are not electronically controlled. Pneumatic controls take some time to react.

I just want to add a few more points:

- the pull-out table from the armrest was tiny, and could have been bigger. The odd thing is that the table can be pulled towards you, but at that position, one might as well have the food tray on one's chest if one is seating upright. The table was positioned too close to be of much use, even when the seatback is slightly reclined. You dont get this awkward position on the old 734s.

- the lavatories (at least the one upfront) lack a paper cup-dispenser, this would have been a usefull add-on for long/ overnight flights if one wanted to brush teeth/ rinse mouth.

- A personal reading light positioned next to the seat headrest would have been better than the generic overhead reading lights. Surprisingly, the overhead reading lights are yellow. I thought a daylight/ white lights would have been more appropriate.

- in Y, legroom space for seats B,C and D,E are reduced by the "PTV boxes" located at the bottom of the seats in front.

- Ending on a much more positive note; though the new seats are not in any way luxuriously-appointed or really amazing enough to warrant a "wow" in the market (I still rank Jet's higher), the new MH 738s are substantially better than what its immediate competitor Silkair offers (on its new Airbuses) on its regional flights, including to second tier cities of India/ China. I would take the MH 738s anytime over Silkair airbuses, and I think MH now has the hardware to go along with the great software. (But the MH 738s will lose out to widebodies of other airlines plying the same route, especially on overnight flights and on competitor's aircraft offering lie-flats) On the domestic front, especially in Y, I hope MH deploys the PTV-equipped 738s on flights between East-West M'sia and, more importantly, hand out headphones to pax in Y to be able to use the PTVs to the max. Dont be skimpy by not handing these out just because it's a domestic flight. The incremental cost is relatvely minimal. This will be a major product differentiation between it and AK/FY. Let FY compete with AK on fare basis, and MH to offer a frills service, with fare/yields commensurating with the service provided.

Hope somebody in MH will take note.

Is -MXB in service already? No news about that bird :(

Am not sure but, I saw a new B738 parked near the end of domestic terminal yesterday with its radome opened. Since 9M-MXA is in KK now, I think its 9M-MXB, but I maybe wrong.

Am not sure but, I saw a new B738 parked near the end of domestic terminal yesterday with its radome opened. Since 9M-MXA is in KK now, I think its 9M-MXB, but I maybe wrong.

At which airport did you see that 738? There's no "domestic terminal" at KLIA.

At which airport did you see that 738? There's no "domestic terminal" at KLIA.

hahas!! sorry...am so tired due to jet lag. I meant the main terminal building. Took a picture as well..but I do not know how to upload to the forum. Someone do point teach. Thanks!