MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

MAS New Boeing 737-800s with Sky Interior

The MH Rumour Department has leaked the configuration of 9M-MXA. It will be 166 seats, which comprise of 16 Business Class Seats and 150 Economy Class seats.

As a comparison, here is the configuration of rival airlines' B738:

Garuda Indonesia = 156 seats (12J + 144Y)

Qantas Australia = 168 seats (12J + 156Y)

Some info on MXA:

160 plush leather seats: 16 seats in Business class, 144 seats in Economy class. Seats equipped with PED AC power supply for lap-tops and electronic equipment.

Boeing Sky Interior: Welcoming entry creates a distinctive and positive experience, New cabin architecture provides an even more open look and feel, LED lighting enhances the sense of spaciousness in the cabin and a pleasant travel experience to our customers, Quieter cabin, Bigger hand baggage compartments

Inflight entertainment: Each seat is retrofitted with personal LCD widescreen video monitor. Equipped with the latest Audio Video On Demand system by Panasonic XSeries enables passengers to control, view and listen to the inflight entertainment at their own leisure.

Future applications are video games, personal USB media player, e-books and GSM connectivity.

It seems MH 738 EY seat pitch is tight, worst than QF.

Thank you Capt. Radzi for the precise configuration. So MH's (160 = 16J + 144Y) will be in between GA's (156 = 12J + 144Y) and QF's (168 = 12J + 156Y). Personally I liked it that MH maintains 16J seats. I think MH can easily fill them in with the correct marketing of this new product. Panasonic xSeries IFE system should be like the one SQ put aboard their new A333s and A380s, isn't it? If only MH goes up a little bit and offers a touch screen function like EK...

Is that a misquote ?

The bird is brand spanking new build and already need to retrofit ?

Or was that a hint that the PTV's are now being installed as an after thought ?

That was I thought too. But my guess is that the writer was having limited vocab.

Is the new MXA still with the ugly revised livery ?.

Yes, the livery is staying that way. The MH Rumour Department also purposely wrote '(sadly)' in their leakage note in post #334.

- MH confirms launch of "new livery" (sadly) in press advisory

My friend ThaiA345 of A.Net flew on 9M-MLD recently and he snapped a photo of the J cabin.

IMG_1336.jpg

9M-MLD was ex Okay Airways of China.

Dont think the return leg is on -MXA, as the HND flight is supposed to leave at 4pm.

The BKI-HND flight is the main agenda of 9M-MXA on 15 November. So since you mentioned that it will leave for Japan at 4 pm, then definitely the return leg of the so called 'inaugural' flight will be performed by other aircraft.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Thank you Capt. Radzi for the precise configuration. So MH's (160 = 16J + 144Y) will be in between GA's (156 = 12J + 144Y) and QF's (168 = 12J + 156Y). Personally I liked it that MH maintains 16J seats. I think MH can easily fill them in with the correct marketing of this new product.

16J + 144Y = 160JY :blink:

You'd expect them to fit less seats into this aircraft that will fly primarily international routes and flights up to 6 hours. MAS also intend to deploy this 738 to PER right ? How can you fight with SIA that fly to PER with their spanking new 333 that offers 60" of seat pitch in Business Class ?

Anyway, with such configuration, the seat pitch should be as follow :

GCC - 38" - 40"

EY - 31"

Panasonic xSeries IFE system should be like the one SQ put aboard their new A333s and A380s, isn't it? If only MH goes up a little bit and offers a touch screen function like EK...

Panasonic offers two types of X series AVOD in-flight entertainment system. The one found on SIA new planes are all eFx series which is also the most sophisticated of the system on offered. MAS probably is using the most basic of the Panasonic X series.

Edited by Isaac

This is the flight details for 9M-MXA's inaugural journey KUL-BKI on 15 November 2010:

MXA3.jpg

However, all tickets are SOLD OUT!

Business Class

MXA2.jpg

Economy Class

MXA1.jpg

So now the only way to get onboard for those interested is to win that Facebook contest.

16J + 144Y = 160JY :blink:

You'd expect them to fit less seats into this aircraft that will fly primarily international routes and flights up to 6 hours. MAS also intend to deploy this 738 to PER right ? How can you fight with SIA that fly to PER with their spanking new 333 that offers 60" of seat pitch in Business Class ?

Anyway, with such configuration, the seat pitch should be as follow :

GCC - 38" - 40"

EY - 31"

Yikes! That is tight for medium-haul international destinations. If they seriously want to use these new B738s for international routes and be competitive, Y class would have to sport a minimum of 32" and C class should have those international standard widebodied seats! If MH are going to update their Business class product when the new A333s and the A380s come, they can use the current business class seats and put it in the B738s. Having angled lie-flat seats on a B738 will make MH stand out but that will also mean having to reduce the C cabin from 16 seats to 12 and that should allow the Y class numbers to stay roughly the same.

Many people would not like to travel to destinations as far as perth on a 737 and to make matters worst 31 inches seat pitch. I would rather pay a little more then being squzzed up like that. wish they had 33 or 34 inches spaces between seats. Suddenly the IFE seems to have taken second spot to the seat pitch.

According to SeatGuru, Delta's 738 is also 16J and 144Y and the pitch for Y is 32".

A further quick survey of a few other American-based airlines that also have 16J and 144Y also show 32".

It shouldn't be that bad, adding the fact that it comes with the Sky Interior which is supposed to give a roomier feeling as well.

Of course preferably everyone wants to fly in a widebody, though. No doubt.

According to SeatGuru, Delta's 738 is also 16J and 144Y and the pitch for Y is 32".

A further quick survey of a few other American-based airlines that also have 16J and 144Y also show 32".

Seatguru is not the best source when it comes to seat pitch information. Many such information listed there are wrong. Anyway, CO list theirs as 31" while DL is 31" - 32". Those seats with 32" of seat pitch are the seats on the first half of the plane from rows 10 - 16 (**please refer to DL 738 seat map). DL First Class on the 738 features only 38" of seat pitch, by the way.

3 US carriers have such seat configuration on their 738 namely AA, DL and CO.

I am aware the website is not the best source, but merely for reference sake for this forum, no problem :)

Anyway, are you talking about SeatGuru's DL seatmap? Where does it say only the first half of the aircraft has 32"? Can't find it.

Anyway, are you talking about SeatGuru's DL seatmap? Where does it say only the first half of the aircraft has 32"? Can't find it.

No. I found this out somewhere else a long time ago in another forum. Which forum i am not exactly sure already. This is the reason why DL lists their 738 as having 31" - 32" of seat pitch in coach.

Hope what I post here something not controversial or what ever they call...Just to share with you since this presentation slide available in MAS Coperate website...

Presented by SGM of MD's Office during Malaysia Airlines Investor Day on 20th April 2010...

Stated there New Livery (not as featured)

B737-8h6_01.jpg

Was stated in previous slide page where it gonna be 16GCC +144EYC and the details are:-

B737-8h6_02.jpg

For IFE :-

B737-8h6_04.jpg

More or less gonna be same like this :-

B737-8h6_03.jpg

Emmm no comment :-

B737-8h6_06.jpg

And last for Cabin Crews :-

B737-8h6_05.jpg

Was stated in previous slide page where it gonna be 16GCC +144EYC and the details are:-

B737-8h6_02.jpg

Oh Mary ... the worst EY seat pitch for a flag carrier in Southeast Asia. They actually want to fly people from BKI to cities like ICN, HND and KIX on flights more than 5 hours in such tiny seat pitch ? :nea:

Wow, hope it really is not that bad.

Thanks for the slides. Funny that its been out there so long ago but wasn't on this site soon enough. Azizul, what happen to your great sources? :D jk

That means all of us, including my informers and the entire MH Rumour Department are not resourceful enough LOL. I visited the Investor Relation page in MH's website very frequently looking up for those statistics but never stumbled upon this presentations until Ashmil put it here.

Anyone with MXA's ETA in SZB?

Rumoured that MXA arriving SZB today around 1320 (Malaysian Time) :yahoo:

Edited by MIR

Seat pitch is measured from the middle of the seat in front to the middle of the seat in the back, right?

So if the seat is say, 2 inches narrower than the old seats, wouldn't the 30 inches be equal to 32 inches?

I remember that SQ or someone narrowed down the seat pitch without actually narrowing it, courtesy of the new version narrower seats.

But still, less than 32 inches for long haul... :finger:

Yup, final destination from Guam Intl (PGUM) heading to Subang (WMSA/SZB).

Date Aircraft Origin Destination Departure Arrival Duration

01-Nov-2010 B738/Q Guam Intl (PGUM) Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah (WMSA / SZB) 09:10AM ChST 05:11AM UTC Scheduled

30-Oct-2010 B738/Q Honolulu Intl (PHNL) Marshall Islands Intl (PKMJ / MAJ) 08:17AM HST 11:18PM UTC 5:01

30-Oct-2010 B738/Q Marshall Islands Intl (PKMJ / MAJ) Guam Intl (PGUM) 12:01AM UTC 02:00PM ChST (+1) unknown

29-Oct-2010 B738/Q Boeing Field Intl (KBFI) Honolulu Intl (PHNL) 10:22AM PDT 12:52PM HST 5:30

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS5473/history/20101031/2300Z/PGUM/WMSA

Now, I'm a bit sceptical BKI-HND on 737-800 will last until next year. MH should at least make an effort to reduce seating capacity on international 738s, so passenger comfort is comparable to the widebody.

OMG! Sick leave, sick leave please! :p

OMG! Sick leave, sick leave please! :p

Ya me too...But in office already now...How ah to pretend sick?? :lol:

YES! YES! YES! I knew you would have info on its ETA! Thanks so much! :yahoo:

According to FlightAware, I think it'll be slightly earlier than that.

Edited by SherM