MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

MAS New Boeing 737-800s with Sky Interior

I miss the old livery already :(

Hope the new one will grow on me because otherwise everything else looks fantastic.

Personally, the Wau is a timeless icon, so I'm not sure changing it on a livery will be a good idea, UNLESS they decide to totally change their branding, ie change the Wau and reflect it everywhere as new brand identity. Otherwise it'll be rather messy.

No cup holder at the new tray table.

I think providing a cup holder is quite basic. Now that the pitch is smaller, a cup holder can save someone from opening up the whole tray table just to put a glass of water, thus reducing his/her personal space.

Those are the front of the seats. IFE of course on the back of them :)

Anyway, just to compare 734 and 738:

1479561.jpg

1Nov2010_MXA_2a.jpg

1755527.jpg

1Nov2010_MXA_3a.jpg

Credit to Capt Radzi, Rayner and T. Azahan

Macam langit dengan bumi.

Edited by jani

"..... become the first full-service airline in the world to operate the B737-800 with the new Boeing Sky Interior"

Notice pursuit of the firstest, biggest, longest, tallest, bestest (and the like) accolades strong as ever :lol: Very much in same spirit as when the soon to be retired 734's and 735's arrived - largest such fleet in the world, outside the USA :p

1Nov2010_MXA_2a.jpg

09158cf5.jpg

Comparing MH's (newest) B738 with AK's A320 :)

Edited by BC Tam

Somehow, when compared with AK's leather seats, I begin to like MH's leather seats. Kinda reminds me of Boeing Sky Interior promotional pics...

I think what we have seen so far is still unfinished. Definitely head rests will be put soon for both J and Y seats, pillows for the J seats etc. Even the IFE program (?) was not installed yet as per Hon Kit's testimony. I think the complete finished product can be seen tomorrow during the official launching ceremony with Hillary Clinton.

However, it looks like there won't be any head rests based on the seat design.

By the way, the EY seats do not look very slim to me. Certainly not if you were compare it to the slimline seats QF and LX are using. So i guess it is safe to assume that it will not translate to 1.5" - 2" more legroom like those QF/LX seats in EY. Man ... this is going to be extremely tight :nea:

How MH are going to fit head covers on those seats? There's no place to stick one. The head covers are important for hygienic reasons.

But, the seats would look much better with pillows and blankets, IMO. It's growing in me.

How MH are going to fit head covers on those seats? There's no place to stick one. The head covers are important for hygienic reasons.

Bring along wet wipes next time. That's the beautiful thing about leather seats. AirAsia don't fit head covers too.

But, the seats would look much better with pillows and blankets, IMO. It's growing in me.

I wonder if there is a magnetic strip instead - some powerful ones.

or perhaps a seat sock?

question for Capt. Radzi - assuming you will fly the new planes soon, do you need to get some sort of certification or can you just fly it immediately? Or will the next 2 weeks be used by the pilots for familiarization exercises and the like? MH has a few hundred 737 pilots right?

The ecomony seats look quite nice, except for the red bit on top. The business class seats would be nicer with a different shade of blue...

Comparing MH's (newest) B738 with AK's A320 :)

I prefer MH seats than Ak's. Looks comfy and should I say 'a class above'?

AK's A320 seats and 29" pitch are meant for flights up to a maximum of 4 hours only. MH plans to fly longer sectors with their owned B738's. I would be disappointed if their seats are less comfortable compared to AK's!

Much as I am excited about the eagerly awaited 'transformation', livery and such, I cannot help thinking.... narrowbody is narrowbody is narrowbody.. and ugly seat is ugly is ugly, after seeing the interior of the new bird. Lest I be accused of being wet blanket all the time, I really like the new livery!

Edited by V Wong

..... narrowbody is narrowbody is narrowbody.. and ugly seat is ugly is ugly, after seeing the interior of the new bird. Lest I be accused of being wet blanket all the time, I really like the new livery!

It's comforting to realize someone else shares common ground ! :)

I'm sure many, including yours truly, are reserving judgement until we have had opportunity to sample those new hardware, butt on seat method

But first impression would be that those headrest-less, uncontoured, imitation leather seats will pose some considerable challenge over a 5 to 6 hour confinement, seat back IFE notwithstanding

Guess what? I have a sneak preview of the interior of the plane...it was in an ad in Borneo Post...

It feature the Kota Kinabalu-Haneda service...

Here are the pictures of the seat so we would know what to expect from MH in their new 738.

18-10-2010035131pm.jpg

So this ad actually featured the real interior of the MH B738...

Separate topic - 9M-MLH is on its way. Just arrived Honolulu now. :)

Now, I wonder if MLI will have the new or old livery...

I don't remember seeing so much xwind on the landing although I do remember seeing the wheels on the starboard side touching down first. I guess you had a better angle compared to mine. Nice video!

So this ad actually featured the real interior of the MH B738...

Now, I wonder if MLI will have the new or old livery...

Except for the economy class seats. In the ad, the economy class seats are clearly different from the actual one revealed on 1 November 2010.

For uniformity, I would prefer 9M-MLI to don the old livery, so that all 9M-ML* series aircrafts will feature the same coat of paint.

Here are a few excellent interior shots of 9M-MXA from Boeing's website. http://www.newairplane.com/737/customerHighlights/