MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

MAS New Boeing 737-800s with Sky Interior

IMHO, fr afar the new livery does not stand out....if u take away the Wau, the livery on the fuselage do look like some European budget carrier livery (I cant remember the name of that airline at this moment) ....they could have done something to the Wau...tilt it in an angle with added artistic effect.....the world "MalaysiaAirlines" should have been given a better font or just use the word "Malaysia"

I will be curious to see how it will look on the B772, B774 n the new A332

For larger aircraft like the A380 they should probably put up a "BIG" billboard Malaysia Airlines title.

Have you seen EK, AF, QF or LH livery? All of them are white fuselage with either a billboard title (EK) or just plain white with beautiful tails.

The above-mentioned airlines made it looks simple but still elegant. But MH's look kinda rush and did it at the sake of changing it...

Still, i need to see it in the flesh. (ermmm... the rendered looks on B744 looks hideous though... <_>

edited: Just to add, if El AL had its bottom swept lines red in color, we'll be El Al's partner... much to the hate of (almost) everyone in Malaysia. However, political aside, El Al made it looks catchy as the swept lines 'continue' till the lines at the tail... simple but still kind to the eyes.

ElAl738.jpg

Well, probably, MH should trim down the thickness of the swept lines (or whatever term they called it) a little bit. 'Soften' to our eyes. Blue and Red is bright enough. Made them thick, they screamed "CHEAP!!!", don't you think?? :unknw:

Edited by Yusoff

I think it will look nicer with the red and blue reversed, so that the red is on top of the blue (and therefore there's more blue). I think that wouldmatch the wau on the tail better. Can somebody try that so we can see how it looks?

The management of MAS should go to a local design college, give the students there a broad brief and give them the liberty to work from a clean sheet ... and see what they could come out with. I am certain you will find some very fresh ideas compared to what they have now adopted as the new livery. This definitely looked like an in-house design job and the rendition of this on the B747-400 does make one apprehensive about how this will look in the flesh. And I am most apprehensive about this livery on the A380.

It should be noted that airline liveries may not be very colourful but could still come out looking elegant. El Al's blue and silver is very effective - simple colours, elegant lines and still representative of the Israeli flag. Qantas' new livery does look quite good - at least better than on paper and Emirates' colours on the tail are simple and shows the flag. The airline's name in gold is a nice touch. Air France's livery is the simplest but does look quite good when seen in good light (and especially when the plane is clean).

Can some of Mwing members give objective and strong feedback to MH through other channels - hopefully the management has the courage to change the new livery if a better idea is put forward.

KC Sim

The management of MAS should go to a local design college, give the students there a broad brief and give them the liberty to work from a clean sheet ... and see what they could come out with. I am certain you will find some very fresh ideas compared to what they have now adopted as the new livery. This definitely looked like an in-house design job and the rendition of this on the B747-400 does make one apprehensive about how this will look in the flesh. And I am most apprehensive about this livery on the A380.

It should be noted that airline liveries may not be very colourful but could still come out looking elegant. El Al's blue and silver is very effective - simple colours, elegant lines and still representative of the Israeli flag. Qantas' new livery does look quite good - at least better than on paper and Emirates' colours on the tail are simple and shows the flag. The airline's name in gold is a nice touch. Air France's livery is the simplest but does look quite good when seen in good light (and especially when the plane is clean).

Can some of Mwing members give objective and strong feedback to MH through other channels - hopefully the management has the courage to change the new livery if a better idea is put forward.

KC Sim

Well..as much as I agree with u, I don't think this will happen as MH in house design team will lose face n their jobs if those college kids(which I knowwill beat them hands down)...come up with some eye catchy livery

IMHO, fr afar the new livery does not stand out....if u take away the Wau, the livery on the fuselage do look like some European budget carrier livery (I cant remember the name of that airline at this moment) ....they could have done something to the Wau...tilt it in an angle with added artistic effect.....the world "MalaysiaAirlines" should have been given a better font or just use the word "Malaysia"

I will be curious to see how it will look on the B772, B774 n the new A332

I think the font they use is the similar font to the old livery, only without the red higlights on the M, the A and the S.

Surprised that most of us here like or OK about the livery. Everyone at A.Net hates it.

I hate it. Looks cheap.

The old 'Malaysia' is more iconic than having to spell it out with in 2 distinct colours. If they really must, add 'Airlines' but keep the old blue with red corners. The red swishes are not easy to the eyes - I would have liked to see more soothing blue with a hint on red highlights. Less is more!!

If there's enough people whining about the new livery then maybe, just maybe there'll do a 180 on this a la the recent GAP new logo fiasco :pardon:

MH has yet to come out with the official press statement about this new livery, so we can't determined yet whether this one is a result of in-house design, inter-departments design competition or MH hired a third party firm to design it. It should be interesting to know what is the symbolic behind the 2 swish lines (my initial bet is that it is to reflect 'pucuk rebung' [being Malay, everything has to be cliche-ly pucuk rebung as in common songket and batik designs, Menara Telekom design, Menara Maybank design et al] or it is an angled and stylised close up view of the wau).

Should this one is a result from a design by a third party firm, I hope it doesn't cost MH a million or 2. This exercise could end up the same way as the 1st version of the snackbox and the Smarties seats - all of which are completely unnecessary and MH can certainly do better without it.

Sometimes I wonder why does it is so hard to come out with a nice new colour scheme. It's not a rocket science subject really. The objective is that the end result should be a beautiful scheme.

Don't look far, just look at our neighbours, TG and VN, which greatly enhanced their corporate images with their respective new aircraft liveries.

TG goes from this...

1162009.jpg

... to this.

1070912.jpg

And VN goes from this...

0138682.jpg

... to this.

0630703.jpg

Both cases are clear example of a transformation from ugly or not so pretty to amazingly beautiful, and not the other way around.

I'm pleasantly surprised the tacky 1 Malaysia logo is no where to be seen ...... yet :p

Who knows, your wish may come true...perhaps a giant fat sticker will be placed near the front door when ribbons are cut to launch the new livery...

Separately, non-airline buffs that I've shown the picture of the 738 to, suggested that it looks LCC-esque or one of those European less-culturally inclined charter carriers...and a few wondered out loud if this was for a separate LCC unit to counter the competition from AK. (Paradoxically, the interior of -MXA, I would imagine, suggests otherwise - all full service trappings).

So, it does seem that the accountant has the FINAL say, and bottom-line concerns prevail. Sad as M'sia is culturally rich and more intricate patterns/ designs could have been incorporated into the "swooshes".

Oh you don't know how much I love the silky purple on TG's new livery... still, fresh and simple yet elegant. That's what we want. Elegant!

When I was looking at 9M-MXA on A.net, I noticed there is a ripple on the blue part of the Wau on the tail. It looked like sticker and not a paint coat. It could be this livery is not permanent, and MH just testing the water (air)! Or is it just a dodgy pain job? Which can't be if was performed at Boeing site.

Sometimes I wonder why does it is so hard to come out with a nice new colour scheme. It's not a rocket science subject really. The objective is that the end result should be a beautiful scheme.

Don't look far, just look at our neighbours, TG and VN, which greatly enhanced their corporate images with their respective new aircraft liveries.

If I am not mistaken - the majority of these airline liveries were designed by professional marketing and design companies hence their classic and unmistakable images. Landor Associates do come up with some of the best designs - from British Airways to United/Continental to (dare I say it) Singapore Airlines.

If Malaysia Airlines really wants to upgrade its image and provide some continuity to its product line - as you say its not rocket science but like most things Malaysian - i hesitate to say that I agree - with those 'Rojak' Seats and the uninspiring new paint job those A380s are going to look quite uninviting like the rest of its fleet.

Whilst on the subject, with the Red and Blue lettering clashing to represent the airline name itself - perhaps this reflects the state of play within the airline itself.

The Blue-red triangle on the fuselage looks more Filipino rather than Malaysian to me; just the yellow stars are missing... :p

Like said before, they should have 'done' more with the wau, like a waving one, or a golden one on a dark-blue/reddish background (?)...

Well..as much as I agree with u, I don't think this will happen as MH in house design team will lose face n their jobs if those college kids(which I knowwill beat them hands down)...come up with some eye catchy livery

Actually, the last livery (and the uniform as well) was designed by UiTM so there is precedence.

6 out of 10, for sure more modern looking than the current scheme but mediocre in terms of impact.

At least now the rather shabby looking exteriors of some of the fleet will get a fresh coat of paint.

Geoff

You know, there could be one theory.. The livery is not yet finished.

Remember AirAsia X Raiders livery? If I remember correctly it flew before it was completed 100% and looked plain weird. Right now it's finished it looks better than the early pictures.

From my opinion, the colour look so simple and nothing much interesting. It better combined this MH colour on their livery, something like white, yellow,orange n red and blue.

I agree. Just like CX brush stroke.