MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

MAS New Boeing 737-800s with Sky Interior

Those will all be on the leased metal right? How does the inside of these leased birds look like? I remember 9M-MLA was a bit bad and received a lot of complaints. Did they change it?

Those will all be on the leased metal right? How does the inside of these leased birds look like? I remember 9M-MLA was a bit bad and received a lot of complaints. Did they change it?

Yes, i am said twitter account :)

For the inside of MLA/B/C - i think because its from Nok airways, it should be the same - i.e. leather seats for Y and proper J seats at the front. 32" legroom still i think (got it when i flew TPE-KUL last month), just that the leather feels old/used. Not that its a bad thing - the seats were very comfy and lush because the leather has been broken into.

Changes to Osaka with 737-800 service....

Current

3 weekly 330 KUL KIX

3 weekly 330 KUL KIX BKI KUL

From 15JAN11:

6 weekly 330 KUL KIX

2 weekly 738 BKI KIX

More MAS Flights To Japan By Year End

KUALA LUMPUR, July 18 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will operate more flights to Japan from Sabah, including a new destination from Kota Kinabalu to Haneda Airport, south of Tokyo, from Nov 15.

MAS will also increase its current six weekly flights to Kansai International Airport, 50km from Osaka city, to eight weekly from Jan 15 next year, comprising six weekly flights from Kuala Lumpur and twice weekly from Kota Kinabalu.

Its senior general manager (Commercial Strategy) Amin Khan said there would be three weekly flights from Kota Kinabalu to Haneda Airport -- at 4.35pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, which would complement the airline's existing 11 weekly flights from Kuala Lumpur to Narita International Airport.

We are confident that these services will be well received as the new flights into Haneda Airport will provide customers with easier and speedier access into the city of Tokyo," he said in a statement issued here Sunday.

He said the airline would be using the new, roomier interior and latest generation seats of B737-800.

Every business and economy-class seat will also be equipped with the latest inflight entertainment system offering both audio and video on demand.

-- BERNAMA

--Sounds like 738s will be well equipped and at the same comfort level as the widebodies.

It seems that with just a few newer planes, MH is expanding/extending its route network pretty significantly. Pretty excited to see what they do next.

Trading A333/772 with 738 for higher frequency is a step in the right direction to attract high yield pax. However, most MH competitors (e.g. SQ, CX) to destinations like HND, KIX, MLE, etc use widebody, MH may need to offer better amenity on board to offset claustrophobia and LCC feeling of narrowbody else yield will be lowered than competitors.

:drinks:

Maybe 738 Sky Interior will provide better cabin experience than a normal 737.BTW, I like Virgin America's first class seats on A320. Really nice for a narrowbody.

800px-Virgin_America_first_class.jpg

Looks nice but I don't like that color.. A bit weird though I guess it is better than Smarties or the deep glaring red we presently have :D

Maybe 738 Sky Interior will provide better cabin experience than a normal 737.BTW, I like Virgin America's first class seats on A320. Really nice for a narrowbody.

800px-Virgin_America_first_class.jpg

I was reading a debate on an aviation forum about the new 738 Sky Interior.

Apparently some people have seen the mock ups of the Sky Interior and claimed that, while it looks more futuristic, more ergonomic and more technologically advanced,

the overall feel is still not the spacious-with-more-legroom feel that most people expect.

Some are debating on whether Continental Airlines should opt for the Sky Interior or not.

I was flying GA's new 738 to Guangzhou and felt rather tight when it was completely fine for a 1-2 hours domestic flight.

You have to remember that GA's 738 has a configuration of 12C 144Y and it still is, to me, not the best for a flight over 3 hours.

GA used to fly to Beijing using this bird and once the A332 became available, they changed it.

On a flight to Japan, I'd rather pay USD100-150 extra for a fresher feeling after landing :)

Well, I hope MH uses decent business class seats on their new 737-800s. I know I'd prefer a business class seat on a bigger plane than a 737-800, so their business product in the 738 better be able to compete with SQ's and CX's 333.

More MAS Flights To Japan By Year End

KUALA LUMPUR, July 18 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will operate more flights to Japan from Sabah, including a new destination from Kota Kinabalu to Haneda Airport, south of Tokyo, from Nov 15.

MAS will also increase its current six weekly flights to Kansai International Airport, 50km from Osaka city, to eight weekly from Jan 15 next year, comprising six weekly flights from Kuala Lumpur and twice weekly from Kota Kinabalu.

Its senior general manager (Commercial Strategy) Amin Khan said there would be three weekly flights from Kota Kinabalu to Haneda Airport -- at 4.35pm every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, which would complement the airline's existing 11 weekly flights from Kuala Lumpur to Narita International Airport.

We are confident that these services will be well received as the new flights into Haneda Airport will provide customers with easier and speedier access into the city of Tokyo," he said in a statement issued here Sunday.

He said the airline would be using the new, roomier interior and latest generation seats of B737-800.

Every business and economy-class seat will also be equipped with the latest inflight entertainment system offering both audio and video on demand.

-- BERNAMA

--Sounds like 738s will be well equipped and at the same comfort level as the widebodies.

Some points to ponder on the above statements.

1 HND would likely attract more premiums considering that it's the closest airport to TYO compared to NRT. Esp. considering the convenience from Downtown TYO and its also well connected to other JPN's Domestic Network. Furthermore getting a slot there is seen as getting something very valuable like LHR. Wouldn't it be more sensible to have those ex KUL 772s to HND and let the BKI 738s to NRT ?

2 MH must ensure ( maybe with warranty - if not, say 200% extra miles or 50% cash refund? ) that all of these JPNs 738 services are on the new 738s as promised and not on the leased 738s as these flights will be flying for 4 -5 hours and it may cause greater discomfort if the leased ones are used.

3 It seems that new 738s will be initally based in BKI, anything for ex KUL for Klang Valley customers to try ?

Some points to ponder on the above statements.

1 HND would likely attract more premiums considering that it's the closest airport to TYO compared to NRT. Esp. considering the convenience from Downtown TYO and its also well connected to other JPN's Domestic Network. Furthermore getting a slot there is seen as getting something very valuable like LHR. Wouldn't it be more sensible to have those ex KUL 772s to HND and let the BKI 738s to NRT ?

2 MH must ensure ( maybe with warranty - if not, say 200% extra miles or 50% cash refund? ) that all of these JPNs 738 services are on the new 738s as promised and not on the leased 738s as these flights will be flying for 4 -5 hours and it may cause greater discomfort if the leased ones are used.

3 It seems that new 738s will be initally based in BKI, anything for ex KUL for Klang Valley customers to try ?

I completely agree. Those HND slots are very precious and would be most logically suited to premium traffic for business travellers. I know I would prefer to fly into HND. It just seems like such a waste not to use their 3 HND slots for a direct KUL-HND service using larger aircraft like the 772 or the new 333 when they arrive. They could split the remaining NRT slots with 4 direct KUL-NRT and 3 KUL-BKI-NRT services.

In the mean time across the Straits...

head.jpg

fare.jpg

From 31 October 2010, Singapore Airlines will launch twice-daily flights between Singapore and Tokyo Haneda airport, complementing the current twice-daily Tokyo Narita service. Due to overwhelming response, we are pleased to further extend an exceptional fare deal to Tokyo, only available on singaporeair.com from now till 13 August 2010.

Warmest Regards,

Andrew Yip Hon Mun

General Manager Peninsular Malaysia

Singapore Airlines Limited

*SQ will deploy their best aircraft (B77W) to Haneda.

That's debatable LOL. The Economy Class and Business Class products on the 2 aircrafts are identical. It's just that B77W has First Class while the A380 has Suite. Nevertheless, the SQTalkers are predicting that Haneda will be upgraded to A380 in no time.

That's debatable LOL. The Economy Class and Business Class products on the 2 aircrafts are identical. It's just that B77W has First Class while the A380 has Suite. Nevertheless, the SQTalkers are predicting that Haneda will be upgraded to A380 in no time.

Azizul: Just some fineprint: the biz seats are similar but certainly not identical: On A380, u have sidebins and the seats are wider, tables also open from a different angle. The space to store one's hand luggage underneath the seat in front is bigger on the A380 version, and so is the "footwell".

..... Those HND slots are very precious and would be most logically suited to premium traffic for business travellers .....

1 HND would likely attract more premiums considering that it's the closest airport to TYO compared to NRT ..... Furthermore getting a slot there is seen as getting something very valuable .....

Timings of those slots at HND allocated to MH are presumably determined by the airport authorities ?

Hence, the scheduled departures ex-HND at 01:20 would be beyond MH's control ?

My impression would be that you're not going to attract too much premium business traffic at that hour of the day - a damper on the slot's preciousness perhaps ?

Hence it could be that MH is trying to make the best of what is available

Anyone care to find out timings of those flights by our southerly neighbour into HND ?

Besides the proximity to Tokyo city, what other advantages are there for anyone to fly into Haneda instead of Narita?

Cost, NRT is more expensive!

Timings of those slots at HND allocated to MH are presumably determined by the airport authorities ?

Hence, the scheduled departures ex-HND at 01:20 would be beyond MH's control ?

My impression would be that you're not going to attract too much premium business traffic at that hour of the day - a damper on the slot's preciousness perhaps ?

Hence it could be that MH is trying to make the best of what is available

Anyone care to find out timings of those flights by our southerly neighbour into HND ?

0120 departure is actually ideal in the sense that one will have One full day with dinner b4 flying to KUL and can be done without having the need to rush back to airport. Ideal for Premium Travellers, even for tourists and locals ( Japannese as they need not have to take a day off flying!). Not forgetting that HND is much closer to TYO , compared to NRT.

Of course MH request for DAILY HND OPS would be perfect! KUL - HND DAILY and have one of the 2 allocated daily slots from NRT for secondary hubs of BKI / KCH / PEN and maybe LGK.

In the end, if HND opens up greater, it will be the main "LHR // JFK" of TYO and NRT would be seen as a supplementary port like " LGW/STN // EWR "

Azizul: Just some fineprint: the biz seats are similar but certainly not identical: On A380, u have sidebins and the seats are wider, tables also open from a different angle. The space to store one's hand luggage underneath the seat in front is bigger on the A380 version, and so is the "footwell".

Thank you Mushrif for super detailing the fact.

Timings of those slots at HND allocated to MH are presumably determined by the airport authorities ? Hence, the scheduled departures ex-HND at 01:20 would be beyond MH's control ? My impression would be that you're not going to attract too much premium business traffic at that hour of the day - a damper on the slot's preciousness perhaps ? Hence it could be that MH is trying to make the best of what is available Anyone care to find out timings of those flights by our southerly neighbour into HND ?

SQ's SIN-HND vv timetable.

SQHND.jpg

I am now very eager to know what's the timing for D7's (3 weekly?) flight into HND.

Besides the proximity to Tokyo city, what other advantages are there for anyone to fly into Haneda instead of Narita?

Cost, NRT is more expensive!

And also, I think, the ability of capturing a larger pool of potential customers whether for O&D or Transit market ex Tokyo. Haneda is one of the top 5 busiest airport in the entire world since like forever. The airport handled 62 million passengers in 2009, ranked 5th in the world.