MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

MAS New Boeing 737-800s with Sky Interior

Then why GA (which is supposedly far inferior than MH) bother to offer PTVs for flights under 1 hour? Errr... if you read the linked trip report, the 'first' photo was actually snapped moments before approaching into CGK. It is a common practice industry-wide that the IFE is being shut down before landing. The trip reporter watched Glee during the less than 1 hour flight.

Then why GA (which is supposedly far inferior than MH) bother to offer PTVs for flights under 1 hour? Errr... if you read the linked trip report, the 'first' photo was actually snapped moments before approaching into CGK. It is a common practice industry-wide that the IFE is being shut down before landing. The trip reporter watched Glee during the less than 1 hour flight.

flight duration of jakarta-yogyakarta is around 55 minutes. lets say the PTV was shut 10 minutes before landing and 10 minutes after take-off. then PTV for 35 minute is just too much, maybe dropdown TV more appropriate. u have to look at the airline side, not only pax side. btw GA will also have 2 config of the new upcoming 737-800.

Edited by fenandri

As a passenger, I would like to see PTVs on 737-800. However, MH may find it not economical to fit PTVs on the short-range 737-800. Although installing PTV into each seat of 737s will save cabin crew their precious time on the short sector flights to perform safety demo. And it helps Leading Steward/Stewardess to save their voice as well.

For short haul flights, like less than an hour, I don't really mind not having PTV...Though it will be good to have one, or maybe dropdown TV. It will set themselves apart from their budget airline rivals.

But considering MH is struggling to make a profit, might be better to use the money to improve their medium-long haul product where it really matters. In their current financial state, it will be suicidal to simply follow what regional competitor is doing. MH needs to think hard and FAST about their strengths and weakness and work out a strategy. If afterall, MH "loses" to GA (for once, it seems likely), then they just have to gracefully admit defeat.

How about east - west M'sia flights? They are at least 1:30 hours flight. Variety of Short programmes including live local /sports news would be fantastic. This should also include short silent features ( no need for headsets) would be a good feature for kids like Mr Bean , Just for Laughs,..etc. By giving options of entertainment would also be seen a product difference of a 5 star compared to low cost or "other" four star carrier that was recently awarded as "Most Improved Service Airline"

Drop down Screens would only be sensible for just within the Peninsular and within Sarawak or witihin Sabah only.

To have two sets of configurations of an aircraft type with huge difference in product amenities ( i.e. IFE systems - PTV or common) would liklely need a good regime of aircraft management to ensure that lower product offering would not be used for the longer flights at all.

I think it's wise not to have IFE/PTV on aircraft that will operate domestic flights as they are mostly under 60 minutes with the exception of flights between the peninsular and Sabah/Sarawak. IFE systems add weight to an aircraft and makes more sense to only have them on regional flights. Drop down TV screens along the aisle is more practical for these short flights if you really MUST have an IFE system for safety demo etc.

Just to add a bit of background to the two known "new" aircraft:

9M-MLE c/n 35105 is ex Hong Kong Express B-KBP. The aircraft is currently sitting in Chek Lap Kok all white wearing registration N126RB

9M-MLD c/n 35793 is ex Okay Airlines B-5366, currently stored as N793AW.

9M-MLD was delivered to MH on 21-05-2010 and shot by MWinger Sri Ramani K at Sepang: http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=14500

One of my flights in November is supposed to be a 737-800. I would dearly love it to be one of their new ones but it'll probably end up being one of the leased ones since it's a domestic flight.

If you're lucky, it can be 737-800. I got the leased one on PEN-KUL sector. So, it totally depends on the pax load and luck. I believe, MH will use it on domestic if the pax load justifies a -800.

Edited by Johan Z

First 737-8H6 will probably be based in BKI....

First 737-8H6 will probably be based in BKI....

Hi Captain Radzi,

Will you switch to operate 737-8H6?

It will probably be a 734 since MH is deploying the 738s for longer regional routes.

The aircraft listed for my flight states that it is a 738 (unless it changes).

Hello all,

From my sources at Boeing, the first new build B738 is due to roll out at Renton on 22 June with first flight planned at the end of the month. Delivery date still showing as TBD. This one will be 9M-MLF 737-8FZ msn 29657. It's one of the ones that was originally destined for Delta Air Lines but is being sold to Babcock & Brown at delivery and leased to MAS.

:)

Hello all,

From my sources at Boeing, the first new build B738 is due to roll out at Renton on 22 June with first flight planned at the end of the month. Delivery date still showing as TBD. This one will be 9M-MLF 737-8FZ msn 29657. It's one of the ones that was originally destined for Delta Air Lines but is being sold to Babcock & Brown at delivery and leased to MAS.

:)

Will this particular equipement be with the new Skyinterior ? Will it have the much awaited and extra long overdue of "MH new improved products" ? Wouldn't it be great to have such?

Finally, MH realised offering higher frequency with smaller aircraft will be much a better offering for pax than buying the humongous monsters.

Is there a website for Renton as there is for Paine Field where we can catch all the new aircraft?

This is for Paine Field http://kpae.blogspot.com/

Wonder when will I see a MH 77W on that website? :D

this is a website for RNT and BFI where most 737s are rolled out, tested and take off for their delivery flights

hope it's helpful!

http://drewski2112.livejournal.com/