MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Walter Sim

Asiana Airlines bags Airline of the Year at the 2010 Skytrax World Airline Awards

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 22 (Bernama) -- It is a double celebration for Malaysia Airlines as it was awarded the "5-Star airline" for the 5th consecutive year and the "World's Best Cabin Staff" for the 7th time by Skytrax, a UK based organization, with 20 years experience in airline research.

Malaysia Airlines has been accredited as a 5-Star airline by Skytrax since 2005. Its cabin crew has won the "World's Best Cabin Staff" award for 2001-2004, 2007, 2009-2010 - the most for any airline.

Malaysia Airlines' Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin said, "This is great news, particularly in today's tough environment where all employees have been working very hard to deliver products and services that matter to the customer. What matters to them, matters to us.

"This recognition will spur us to intensify our efforts to improve our products and services. Our cabin crew has done a stellar job, and they have continuously held the MAS & Malaysian flag high in the highly competitive aviation industry. They epitomized the best of Malaysian Hospitality."

Azmil also said the airline will be rolling out new services such as flight services from buying, boarding and disembarkation on mobile and enhanced online redemption of Enrich points.

"We will also be taking delivery of the new 737-800 Boeing Sky Interior by the end of 2010. Customers will enjoy better ambience, higher ceilings, mood lighting, Inflight Entertainment on every business and economy class seats which offers audio and video on demand, and latest generation light weight seats. Mobile connectivity services will be offered in the future".

Skytrax CEO, Edward Plaisted said, "In awarding the 5-Star airline ranking to Malaysia Airlines for 2009/2010, we are recognising the consistent front-line performance of the airline during recent tough times for the industry.

"The 5-Star Airline status is awarded only to airlines achieving the very highest quality performance, and this top tier award for Malaysia Airlines pays respect to their ability to deliver the right combination of product and service. They are clearly focussing very carefully on not just meeting, but surpassing their customer's expectations".

Malaysia Airlines was also recently voted as "Asia's Leading Airline" by over 180,000 industry professionals in a global poll conducted by the World Travel Awards.

Other recognitions received this year include Airline of The Year by Malaysia Airport Holding Bhd, 3rd in Top Performing Company by Aviation Week, No. 8th in Top Airlines Worldwide Category by Smart Travel Asia and the Top 10 airlines in the first Global Local Monitor on airline websites.

The 5-Star ranking certification is applied and reviewed annually by Skytrax, following the detailed audit analysis of each airline's product & service quality levels.

The "World's Best Cabin Staff" survey was gathered using a range of input sources such as online customer survey, business research group and customer telephone interviews.

-- BERNAMA

TomatoSauce: http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=457153

Congratulations Malaysia Airlines!

Just returned from my trip to South Korea with MAS.. No doubt top class service.. Also notice they have quite a few Japanese and Korean stewardesses now..

Inflight Entertainment on every business and economy class seats which offers audio and video on demand

:yahoo: :yahoo: How good it is to hear this... :clapping: :clapping:

It has been a while now and further improvement is still necessary on the IFE in the near future :rolleyes:

Malaysia Airlines's IFE is still not up to the mark compared to other airlines like SIA or Emirates. It is high time for MH to replace the Select 3000i with a newer generation platform.

2010?

Skytrax announce the World Airline Awards ceremony to be held in Hamburg on 20th May 2010, at the Aircraft Interiors EXPO

how come MH wins for 2010? Confusing!

I also thought it was a bit premature. Saw the link first in airliners.net, and then found the BERNAMA link. MAS website has nothing about this at all.

Edited by Walter Sim

According to @MAS' latest Tweet, it seems that this announcement was premature. Maybe they were already given the award, but were supposed to keep it under wraps?

Sorry guys! False alarm. This was posted 20 minutes ago from Malaysia Airlines Travel in Facebook.

Malaysia Airlines Travel Sorry peeps! The correct Skytrax announcement should read "Malaysia Airlines awarded '5-Star airline' for 2009/2010." The winner of the 'World's Best Cabin Staff' will only be known in mid 2010. Our apologies!

Just returned from my trip to South Korea with MAS.. No doubt top class service.. Also notice they have quite a few Japanese and Korean stewardesses now..

This is nothing new really. Used to be a frequent traveler between 2002 - 2007 on MH64/65/50/51/80/81 and MAS already have many Japanese and Korean FAs then.

Malaysia Airlines's IFE is still not up to the mark compared to other airlines like SIA or Emirates. It is high time for MH to replace the Select 3000i with a newer generation platform.

Believe the soon to be delivered MAS 738 will spark a complete new system such as those found on SIA 388/333/77W. There are two versions namely Panasonic eFX and Panasonic eX2. Panasonic eX2 is the higher end offering. Both systems have much bigger storage, more sophisticated and the box to be installed beneath the seat is also much slimmer and lighter thus will help the airline to save some precious fuels.

This is nothing new really. Used to be a frequent traveler between 2002 - 2007 on MH64/65/50/51/80/81 and MAS already have many Japanese and Korean FAs then.

Believe the soon to be delivered MAS 738 will spark a complete new system such as those found on SIA 388/333/77W. There are two versions namely Panasonic eFX and Panasonic eX2. Panasonic eX2 is the higher end offering. Both systems have much bigger storage, more sophisticated and the box to be installed beneath the seat is also much slimmer and lighter thus will help the airline to save some precious fuels.

What about the new Panasonic Fusion seats? Would be real cool if MAS install these for their 738 and 380. If they do I'm riding them for the rest of my life! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNrQhRuQshE&feature=player_embedded

Malaysia Airlines Travel Sorry peeps! The correct Skytrax announcement should read "Malaysia Airlines awarded '5-Star airline' for 2009/2010." The winner of the 'World's Best Cabin Staff' will only be known in mid 2010. Our apologies!

Announcing survey result 6 months ahead of schedule may lead to assumption that result is fixed or deal is done between the recipient and organizer. A major PR blunder :pardon:

Since it is anticipated, when the result is officially announced next year, MH can celebrate again with great fun fair. Double Celebration! :rofl:

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

I'm still puzzled by MAS being given this kind of award... I've been flying MH several times to CDG, HAN & BKK and never have a single good experience. On the CDG flight, food was awful (I mean, really, completely different than what SQ and AF can offer). Moreover, F/A were not smiling at all. The cabin (it was a 77E) was old and IFE quite poor, but I appreciated the pitch of 34" (when AF and other carriers are putting a 3-4-3 layout on their 77W and 77E with a pitch of 32", I do appreciate the perk).

I don't want this post to sound like a flamebait, especially considering I'm a newcomer, but I really wanted to share my opinion. The bad experiences I got on the KUL-CDG route made me drive down to SIN to take AF or SQ birds instead.

Hope you guys got better experiences ;)

No doubt, Malaysian FA and South-east FA generally very polite when serving passengers.

MH keep produce fresh FA but same time senior FA join another airline offer them much better.

If MH have good combination of fleet service,in-flight food with this Cabin Crew hospitality,I believe MH will be on its own class.

..... I believe MH will be on its own class.

I believe that even with her current offerings, there are those amongst us who consider MH to be in a class of its own ;)

HAMBURG, GERMANY - 20TH MAY 2010

Asiana Airlines today picked up the prestige Airline of the Year award at the 2010 Skytrax World Airline Awards, that took place in Hamburg.

Asiana Airlines was named winner of the Airline of the Year 2010 title, ahead of Singapore Airlines (2nd) and Qatar Airways in 3rd place.

Some 40 different airlines from around the world assembled to receive their accolades, which were handed out by Skytrax Chairman, Mr Edward Plaisted. The award winners are selected by the airline industry's most important audience, it's customers.

More than 17.9 million air travellers from over 100 different Nationalities took part in the 10 month survey, between July 2009 and April 2010. The awards are respected and recognised around the world for being the only truly global, independent passenger survey of airline standards.

Commenting on the Airline of the Year 2010 award received by Asiana Airlines, Mr Plaisted said: "this is a fantastic achievement for Asiana Airlines to be named winner of this top Airline of the Year Award, and Asiana Airlines are clearly meeting and exceeding their customer's expectations. This award represents a true recognition of the front-line product and service that Asiana Airlines is delivering to it's customers, and the award slogan of 'The Passenger's Choice'

underlines the fact that Asiana Airlines are succeeding in satisfying the hardest critics - their users."

Asiana Airlines President and CEO, Mr Young-Doo Yoon, said : "We would like to express our most heartfelt appreciation to our customers who voted us for Skytrax 2010 Airline of the Year Award. Asiana Airlines is extremely honored to be recognized as the world’s top airline by our customers and to be awarded our industry’s highly esteemed accolade from Skytrax. To be the winner of the 2010 Airline of the Year Award is even more special and holds greater meaning, as it is 'The Passenger's Choice'."

The final top 10 ranking in the Awards were:

1. Asiana Airlines

2. Singapore Airlines

3. Qatar Airways

4. Cathay Pacific

5. Air New Zealand

6. Etihad Airways

7. Qantas Airways

8. Emirates

9. Thai Airways

10. Malaysia Airlines

THE 2010 AWARDS SUMMARY IS LISTED BELOW:

Airline of the Year

WINNER: Asiana Airlines

Best Low-Cost Airline Worldwide

WINNER: Air Asia

Most Improved Airline

WINNER: Garuda Indonesia

Best Regional Airline

WINNER: Dragonair

Best Leisure / Charter Airline

WINNER: Thomson Airways

Best Cabin Staff

WINNER: Singapore Airlines

Best Inflight Entertainment

WINNER: Emirates

Best Airport Services

WINNER: Thai Airways

Best Economy Class

WINNER: Malaysia Airlines

Best Premium Economy Class

WINNER: Qantas

Best Business Class

WINNER: Qatar Airways

Best First Class

WINNER: Etihad Airways

Best Airline : Transatlantic

WINNER: Virgin Atlantic

Best Airline : Transpacific

WINNER: Cathay Pacific

Best Airline : Africa

WINNER: South African Airways

Best Airline : Asia

WINNER: Asiana Airlines

Best Airline : Australia/Pacific

WINNER: Air New Zealand

Best Airline : C America/Caribbean

WINNER: TACA Airlines

Best Airline : China

WINNER: Hainan Airlines

Best Airline : Eastern Europe

WINNER: Malev Hiungarian Airlines

Best Airline : Europe

WINNER: Lufthansa

Best Airline : India/Central Asia

WINNER: Kingfisher Airlines

Best Airline : Middle East

Best Airline : North America

WINNER: Air Canada

Best Airline : Northern Europe

WINNER: Finnair

Best Airline : South America

WINNER: LAN Airlines

Best Airline : South East Asia

Best Airline : Southern Europe

WINNER: Turkish Airlines

Best Airline : Western Europe

WINNER: Lufthansa

Best Airline Alliance

WINNER: Oneworld Alliance

Best Airline Lounge - Business Class

WINNER: Virgin Atlantic

Best Airline Lounge - First Class

WINNER: Thai Airways

Best Airline Seat - Business Class

Best Airline Seat - Economy Class

Best Airline Seat - First Class

Best Airline Seat - Premium Economy Class

WINNER: Qantas Airways

Best Low-Cost Airline Africa

WINNER: Kulula

Best Low-Cost Airline Asia

WINNER: Air Asia

Best Low-Cost Airline Australia/Pacific

WINNER: Virgin Blue

Best Low-Cost Airline Europe

WINNER: Air Berlin

Best Low-Cost Airline India

WINNER: IndiGo

Best Low-Cost Airline Middle East

WINNER: Air Arabia

Best Low-Cost Airline North America

WINNER: Virgin America

Best Low-Cost Airline South America

WINNER: GOL

Best Onboard Catering - Business Class

Best Onboard Catering - Economy Class

WINNER: Turkish Airlines

Best Onboard Catering - First Class

Staff Service Excellence Award - Africa

WINNER: South African Airways

Staff Service Excellence Award - Asia

WINNER: Malaysia Airlines

Staff Service Excellence Award - Australia/Pacific

WINNER: Air New Zealand

Staff Service Excellence Award - C America/Caribbean

WINNER: TACA Airlines

Staff Service Excellence Award - China

WINNER: Hainan Airlines

Staff Service Excellence Award - Europe

WINNER: Swiss Int'l Airlines

Staff Service Excellence Award - India/Central Asia

Staff Service Excellence Award - Middle East

Staff Service Excellence Award - North America

WINNER: WestJet

Staff Service Excellence Award - South America

WINNER: LAN Airlines

ABOUT THE AWARDS

The World Airline Awards were established 1999, and based on the annual World Airline Survey. The 2009/2010 Survey included over 200 airlines, from the largest international airlines to domestic carriers, throughout the world. The survey demographics are underlined by more than 100 different nationality of air travellers taking part.

The survey measures over 38 different items of customer satisfaction for each airline's product and service standards. Assessing the typical customer experience across Airport and Onboard environments - from check-in to boarding, while onboard the customers rate seat comfort, cabin cleanliness, food and beverages, inflight entertainment and many aspects of staff service.

Guess we'll be seeing a spin of the PR at MH. World's best cabin staff to "Staff Service Excellence Award - Asia". And "World's best economy class".

Though I honestly thought that SQ would take that too.

So it proved that the news that was accidentally leaked by MH in November 2009 was so misleading. In that news article, MH claimed to retain its 5 star status for the 5th year and claimed the 'World's Best Cabin Staff' award for the 7th time, which is not the case for the latter.

It's now confirmed that the news is not true. MH is not winning the 'World Best Cabin Staff' award for the 7th time. SQ won that for 2010.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

But Malaysia Airlines was named the winner of the Airline Staff Service Excellence Asia Award at the 2010 World Airline Awards, that took place in Hamburg.

Sign in to follow this