MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
flee

SIA's move to phase out 777-200ERs gathers pace

Singapore Airlines (SIA) has finalised a deal with Russian carrier Transaero for the sale of four Boeing 777-200ERs and other carriers such as Royal Brunei Airlines and Portugal's EuroAtlantic Airways are also speaking to SIA about acquiring 777s.

"We have now finalised an agreement with Transaero covering the sale of four 777-200s, manufacturing serial numbers 28998, 28999, 28514 and 28523," says a SIA spokesman.

Flightglobal's ACAS database says these are all -200ERs and three were built in 1998 while 28523 was built in 1999.

These aircraft are all in a two-class configuration, the spokesman adds.

Transaero announced late last month it would be getting 14 ex-SIA 777s but the SIA spokesman says "at that point [last month] it was a letter-of-intent" only whereas now the deal has been finalised.

SIA's spokesman declines to comment on whether Royal Brunei and EuroAtlantic Airways will be getting ex-SIA 777s as well.

But a Royal Brunei spokeswoman says the carrier does plan to add 777s in June and is working to finalise a deal in the coming days.

"It is no secret that the party we are speaking to is SIA," says the spokeswoman. Royal Brunei's CEO, Robert Yang, is SIA's former VP for eastern USA and South America.

Royal Brunei's online booking engine shows that it plans to replace its Boeing 767s on the Bandar Seri Begawan-London Heathrow route starting 24 June but the service will continue to have a stop-over in Dubai.

Its non-stop Bandar Seri Begawan-Brisbane service will switch from 767s to 777s effective 25 June, it says.

National carrier Biman Bangladesh Airlines, meanwhile, has added an ex-SIA 777-200ER and this aircraft is leased from Portugal's EuroAtlantic Airways.

"We have one [ex-SIA 777-200ER] in the fleet with another 777-200ER in the process," says the spokesman, adding that the second aircraft will also be an ex-SIA aircraft on lease from EuroAtlantic.

He says the carrier is also talking to EuroAtlantic about adding a third and fourth 777-200ER.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/05/04/341472/sias-move-to-phase-out-777-200ers-gathers-pace.html

Hmm,RBA again?

Glad to hear Transaero acquiring 14 ex-SQ B777-212ERs.And Biman is also acquiring 772s as a replacement for their DC-10s.

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

Why not? Its just a matter of $$$ and whether the new owners have enough of that! :)

1. 9V-SRA went to Biman Bangladesh (MSN 28513)

2. 9V-SRB will go to Transaero (MSN 28998)

3. 9V-SRC will go to Transaero (MSN 28999)

4. 9V-SRD will go to Transaero (MSN 28514)

5. 9V-SRE (Star Alliance livery) will go to Transaero (MSN 28523)

Now let see from the remaining fleet of SQ's Boeing 777-200 (derated) 9V-SR* series (12 aircrafts, SRF - SRQ), which registration will go to Biman (1), Transaero (10) and Brunei (3), if it materialise. I don't think all 12 aircrafts will be leaving the fleet. If all 14 aircrafts from these 3 carriers are going to proceed, some of them must be from the 9V-SQ* (13 aircrafts) and 9V-SV* (15 aircrafts) series.

On a personal note, I had the opportunity to fly aboard SRB, SRC, SRE, SRJ, SRN and SRP; the first 3 of which will be relocating to Russia.

Singapore is selling their 772.. Is it mean they are expanding 330 as a replacement or buying new 777 fleet? I heard that SIA are really consider about their fleet age.

Singapore is selling their 772.. Is it mean they are expanding 330 as a replacement or buying new 777 fleet? I heard that SIA are really consider about their fleet age.

Yes, they are leaving the fleet as more A333s arrive to join the SQ fleet.

How old is the oldest 777 in the SIA fleet?

Some of their 9V-SQ* series are 1997 vintage (13 years).

Edited by flee

Yes, they are leaving the fleet as more A333s arrive to join the SQ fleet.

Let's not forget that SQ's current new A333s (13 aircrafts at the moment, 6 more to come) is just a TEMPORARY measure as these A333s are leased from Airbus, before the A350 and B787 come online. SQ ordered 20 A350-900s and 20 B787-900s.

Now compare their business decision making style with the 5 star airline we have at home.

Let's not forget that SQ's current new A333s (13 aircrafts at the moment, 6 more to come) is just a TEMPORARY measure as these A333s are leased from Airbus, before the A350 and B787 come online. SQ ordered 20 A350-900s and 20 B787-900s.

Now compare their business decision making style with the 5 star airline we have at home.

SQ's fleet management has long been the envy of many in the industry. However, even the best planning in the world can be frustrated by delivery delays of new generation aircraft. That is why we see some unusually "old" B777 and B747 aircraft in the SQ fleet.

aiay sayang lah no more biggest 777 operator in the world.....Used to operate to almost all SQ destination, boy that was fun.

Edited by Aaron Goh

Sorry for being off-topic, MH decision to renew their fleet was set back by their unprofitable periods. They had to remain viable and made some more money, which they did, before they could decide to order new aircraft. Unfortunately, the decision was quite late for them.

Edited by Johan Z

Is it really that important to have the youngest fleet in the world? Is it even cost-effective? What good is a new plane if your service is crap?

Do I have to answer that? (I guess I should since my last reply was quoted there LOL).

Well, to put it simply, a new aircraft is usually associated with new seats, hardwares, gadgets, inventions and historically, airlines do brag about them having a young fleet as one of their main selling point, be it LCCs or legacies.

Solid LCC start ups, like AK, TR, 3K in South East Asia, Tiger Airways Australia, JQ, Virgin Blue in Oceania, Ryanair and easyjet in Europe, Jetblue, Southwest Airline in the US, all of whom are cost conscious airlines insisted on operating new aircrafts for better cost efficiency. If it makes wonders for the LCCs, it should be the same for legacies as well. A simple scenario, if new aircrafts is not important or cost effective, AK would still operate their old B733s instead of the new A320s today.

Customers vote with their moneys. Being in Malaysia, I think customers have a choice of quite a number of airlines with new aircrafts and good services for example SQ, EY, QR and most recently WY, for direct routes into KUL and more other airlines for Malaysians who opted to transit in SIN, BKK or DXB to get to their final destinations. Logically, if we can fly on a new aircraft with the latest inflight hardwares and good inflight services and doesn't cost that much either, why would we choose to fly on an old aircraft with dated hardwares and is quite expensive too, although the inflight service is good?

But these are all off-topic.

Most (if not all) of the LCC only operates very limited type of aircraft, while legacy airlines normally operate quite diverse fleet (TG). To renew each type of aircraft for legacy every five-ten years is not easy as compared to renewing only a single type of aircraft for LCC. A lot of deals need to be secured, and involves a lot of money. I don't see why there is a need to operate a new type of aircraft if your existing fleet is doing a good job, unless if you are talking about EK.

To renew each type of aircraft for legacy every five-ten years is not easy as compared to renewing only a single type of aircraft for LCC. A lot of deals need to be secured, and involves a lot of money. I don't see why there is a need to operate a new type of aircraft if your existing fleet is doing a good job, unless if you are talking about EK.

That is subject to business model and priority of the airline. If replacement cost is the first concern, the airline should operate its aircraft until run out of spare parts. Guess Bangladesh Biman is practicing your model.

:drinks:

Is it really that important to have the youngest fleet in the world? Is it even cost-effective? What good is a new plane if your service is crap?

It'll be wonderful to have a new plane and good service.

That is subject to business model and priority of the airline. If replacement cost is the first concern, the airline should operate its aircraft until run out of spare parts. Guess Bangladesh Biman is practicing your model.

:drinks:

Well, KLM is till operating their MD-11, along with other new aircraft. What I was trying to say is renewing 6 types of aircraft is not as aeasy as renewing a single type.

Well, KLM is till operating their MD-11, along with other new aircraft. What I was trying to say is renewing 6 types of aircraft is not as aeasy as renewing a single type.

Who is the party you are refering to with 6 types of aircraft? is it SQ?

Very Sad 9V-SRE was the first and only 777er I ever took very sad :sorry: At least its going to an airline that will look after it.

1. 9V-SRA went to Biman Bangladesh (MSN 28513)

2. 9V-SRB will go to Transaero (MSN 28998)

3. 9V-SRC will go to Transaero (MSN 28999)

4. 9V-SRD will go to Transaero (MSN 28514)

5. 9V-SRE (Star Alliance livery) will go to Transaero (MSN 28523)

Now let see from the remaining fleet of SQ's Boeing 777-200 (derated) 9V-SR* series (12 aircrafts, SRF - SRQ), which registration will go to Biman (1), Transaero (10) and Brunei (3), if it materialise. I don't think all 12 aircrafts will be leaving the fleet. If all 14 aircrafts from these 3 carriers are going to proceed, some of them must be from the 9V-SQ* (13 aircrafts) and 9V-SV* (15 aircrafts) series.

On a personal note, I had the opportunity to fly aboard SRB, SRC, SRE, SRJ, SRN and SRP; the first 3 of which will be relocating to Russia.

Very Sad 9V-SRE was the first and only 777er I ever took very sad :sorry: At least its going to an airline that will look after it.

Very Sad? I am very happy that at least one airline in that region is renewing its fleet and when I need to Travel back I can travel back in style.

You should be sad for MAS. Go ahead be sad.And BTW Qatar is getting their 787 nest year and MH their 330 late 2011till 2016.

Edited by jadivindra

Royal Brunei inks deal with SIA to lease six 777s

RBA's first 777 is expected to arrive on 26 May, and the airline will operate the first flight to London via Dubai during the third week of June.

The remaining five aircraft will arrive between June and September, adds the carrier.

Each aircraft will be configured with 30 business class and 255 economy class seats. The 777s will be equipped with RBA's in-flight entertainment system with individual screens and video and audio on demand, says RBA.

Full report: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/05/11/341815/royal-brunei-inks-deal-with-sia-to-lease-six-777s.html

Hope someone can give the heads up on the registration number or MSN of the 6 B772s that BI is acquiring on a lease basis. Are they SRF, SRG, SRH, SRI, SRJ and SRK?

From the list of 5 aircrafts which are confirmed to have left/are leaving the fleet, all of them were/are sold to a new operator (Biman is leasing SRA from the Portuguese airline which bought the aircraft from SQ). This BI deal is the first on a lease term, which means technically SQ is still the owner of the aircrafts.

But BI is a hangat-hangat tahi ayam airline. So better we take the 'won't believe it until I see it' approach.

The signing ceremony took place today between Robert Young & SIA. They seem to have the pics of RBA 777 at the SIA engineering hanger. Anyone spot RBA 777 in Singapore?