MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Andrew David

Hand Luggage

Hi guys ,

I'm expected to be travelling alot in the near future , for work reasons , and I was wondering about the limitations of carry on luggage

I was thinking of getting this bag :-

1236089946.jpg

However , i'm worried about whether it will be allowed to be brought on as hand luggage due to its size :-

Outside dimensions: 430 x 340 x 320 mm / 16.9 x 13.4 x 12.6 in

From Wikipedia , the hand luggage article states :

The IATA guideline states:

Cabin baggage should have maximum length of 22 in (56 cm), width of 18 in (46 cm) and depth of 10 in (25 cm). The sum of these three dimensions should not exceed 45 in (110 cm). These dimensions include wheels, handles, side pockets, etc.

So I am within in some terms and i'm not in some areas , how can I know for sure that a bag I'm going to be buying is definitely carry on friendly .

An example of airlines that I'm interested in would be Air Canada , Singapore Airlines , Cathay Pacific , and some others

Dear Gavin,

If you refer to the following page from the IATA website: http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/passenger/passenger_baggage/Pages/check_bag.aspx

IATA recommended maximum dimension for hand luggage is stated as 56 x 45 x 25 = 158cm and not as you have stated 56 x 46 x 25 = 110cm

In any case, many check-in counters have a gage which can be used to check the dimension of the bag. Your hand luggage must fit fully inside this gage.

The maximum dimensions of hand luggage stipulated by airlines does does vary from the one recommended by IATA. As a case in point Malaysia Airlines dimension is as follows:

Wide Body - 56 x 36 x 23 = 115cm

Narrow Body - 56 x 30 x 18 = 104cm

The dimension does varies with the type of aircraft/sector.

Airlines do observe some flexibility and their flexibility does vary greatly.

I do suggest that you check with the airlines concerned for the exact allowable dimensions

In any case, your 43x34x32 bag fails in one of the dimensions. It is too fat. But in my opinion, it will pass in most cases unless you travel in small aircrafts.

Cheers

Edited by Tim Lee

Hey Tim ,

Thanks for the insight . I wanted to be on the safe side because I will not know for sure what airlines I'll be flying on and didn't want to be hassled with one airline letting me bring it on , and another not . Looks like I'll just have to take the gamble

Sign in to follow this