MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sing Yew

Give us Sydney, not Pyongyang, says AirAsia X

To all readers: I may know some of you while others I don't hence let me be upfront on threads I posted. I was born in Malaysia and loved the country as this is where my roots started.

Oh dear, does this mean you don't love Malaysia now? Are you one of the brain-drain statistics the country is suffering from presently? Hahahaha... Sorry ah... Kidding aje... Jangan marah.

Airlines can really compete competitively in Singapore. Just look at how many airlines are flying into Changi and basically all SIA routes are under threat yet they are still doing fine. You are out if you are slow to adapt.

A lot of people argue that Singapore is not technically "open" as it all comes with a price attached. But look on the grander scheme of things how many airlines have made Changi into their hub?

- QANTAS

- British Airways

- Garuda

- Jetstar

- Emirates

- Air Asia

- Thai Air Asia

- Indonesia Air Asia

And the following airlines have 5th freedom rights out of Singapore, whether they exercise it or not is another matter:

- Air India

- Cathay Pacific

- China Airlines

- Etihad Airways

- Japan Airlines

- KLM

- Lion Air

- Lufthansa

- Malaysia Airlines

- Northwest Airlines

- Philippine Airlines

- Saudi Arabian Airlines

- Thai Airways

- Turkish Airlines

- United Airlines

Singapore is also posed to take over Hong Kong's status as Asia's financial centre but of course we all know that the title will eventually goes to Shanghai.

Cannot compare lah... Because HK and Singapore's geographical position is in such a way where we cater to very different markets. HK was effectively a hinterland to Chinese commerce prior to 1997 and now that China has relatively opened up, HK's role has diminished somewhat and as you rightfully say, the role will eventually be taken by Shanghai on the financial front. However, the FTZ in HKG is still a very attractive option to route cargo through so they stand to hold on to that mantle for now until the government somehow decides to make PVG set up a similar way. By the HKG will be truly f**ked.

If HK is not going to be a financial hub, they will meet the challenge by reinventing themselves. Just like they have reinvented themselves from light industrial territory in the 1960's to 1970's to one of the world's most important financial hub and the HK SAR government is currently toying with the idea of transforming themselves to a knowledge based economy) HK has the advantage of accessing the technology and know-how from the rest of the world. While Shanghai is fast catching up, they do not necessarily have the technology and know-how or as well equipped as Hong Kong. The free market system in HK makes things a lot easier compared to the mainland. The mainland is still relatively behind "closed door" in theory and it will probably remained so for a long time. If you ever tried to import products into China (which my wife and I can testify), you will learn that it is bloody hard and such restriction does not apply to HK though. Hong Kong may continued her role as the gateway between China and the rest of the world, at least for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, rest assured China won't let Hong Kong sitting idle by or being screwed over by their own fellow countrymen (ie. Shanghai). They need to do this to demonstrate to the Hong Kongers, Macanese, overseas and mainland Chinese and especially the Taiwanese the benefits of them returning to the motherland. Although the relationship between Singapore and China is rather warm, but there is absolutely no obligation for the mainland Chinese government to assist them in every right for they are not part of the territories of the People's Republic of China. On the other hand, China has every compelling reason to assist Hong Kong to ensure their well being.

I agreed with Ryan that Singapore and HK are serving different market segments. The former have been serving the growing South East Asian market. They can co-exist and they have been for decades, it does not necessary mean they need to throw bricks onto each other or fought until the demise of one or the other.

Edited by S V Choong

Anyone who has doubt about sustainability of Hong Kong as a financial centre has failed to grasp the sheer brilliance of DXP's 'one country, two system' ideology :) - of which Hong Kong is the anchor point

On the surface blatantly schizophrenic, but in reality a wonderful facilitator of the myriad of ways with which to oil the wheels of international commerce

Yes, Shanghai is in all likelihood to assume 'numbah-wan' status, but Hong Kong will be there to serve it's intended purpose, I believe, and it will be worth the effort :)

I wonder what the Malaysian govt will do if AirAsia X hives off two or three of its A333 to an Aussie subsidiary called AirAsia Oz and start flying all its Australian routes as AirAsia Oz? Will they be denied rights as well?

I wonder what the Malaysian govt will do if AirAsia X hives off two or three of its A333 to an Aussie subsidiary called AirAsia Oz and start flying all its Australian routes as AirAsia Oz? Will they be denied rights as well?

That will probably yield another red light from the Australian government, Qantas and others. Not sure if Australia is keen to associate itself as "Asia" as they called themselves "Oceania" or "Australiasia" in this part of the world. :)

Anyone who has doubt about sustainability of Hong Kong as a financial centre has failed to grasp the sheer brilliance of DXP's 'one country, two system' ideology - of which Hong Kong is the anchor point

On the surface blatantly schizophrenic, but in reality a wonderful facilitator of the myriad of ways with which to oil the wheels of international commerce

Yes, Shanghai is in all likelihood to assume 'numbah-wan' status, but Hong Kong will be there to serve it's intended purpose, I believe, and it will be worth the effort

The one country two system seems to have worked well. A good percentage of chaps in HK aren't still happy or appreciate for what the Communist leaders have done. Some probably preferred the old "dictatorship" of the former colonial government, where decisions are made behind closed doors and then made known to the public afterwards. Today HK enjoys a high degree of freedom that was so much better than her colonial days. A lot of public consultation going on these days.

Some prefers to keep barking at the HK-SAR government (and to a higher degree the Communist government in the mainland) by attending some sort of conference in the USA. Whereas nobody dares to bark at the British colonial government in the old days ;) Funny that, perhaps it is in the Chinese DNA that they preferred to bully their own kind. :)

Edited by S V Choong

From The Star: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/7/30/business/4415816&sec=business

KUALA LUMPUR: The failure to secure the rights to fly to Sydney and Seoul will not stop AirAsia X from expanding.

The long-haul budget carrier planned to redeploy excess capacity through an expansion in existing routes as well as flying into Chengdu and the Middle East, said chief executive officer Azran Osman-Rani.

“With the turn of events, we will devise a new strategy and not delay our expansion. We also have more route approvals (that we could use).

“We do not want to lose the (growth) momentum created in the past 20 months,’’ he told a press briefing here yesterday, adding that AirAsia X would fly to Chengdu soon and the Middle East before Hari Raya Haji.

He declined to name the destination in the Gulf region, merely saying it has a Formula One racing circuit with vast connectivity.

Both Bahrain and Abu Dhabi have F1 circuits; sources told StarBiz it could be Abu Dhabi.

AirAsia X now flies to seven destinations – Gold Coast, Melbourne, Perth, Tianjin, Hangzhou, Taipei and London – using five aircraft.

It will add three new aircraft before year-end, thus the interest to fly to Seoul and Sydney.

The Government has delayed making a decision on AirAsia’s request to fly to Sydney and Seoul.

Asked when it could get the nod to fly to Seoul and Sydney, Azran said: “No visibility, but we are moving on.

“We also need lead time to market the routes and it would be too late, so we decided to redeploy by adding more flights to existing routes and being creative in opening new routes.’’

AirAsia X will increase capacity by 40% to Taipei, 50% for Gold Coast and 20% for Hangzhou, according to Azran.

It now flies five times weekly each to Taipei and Hangzhou and four times weekly to Gold Coast.

AirAsia X has rights to fly to Melbourne and Perth 14 times weekly and will look to raise the capacity there.

“Adding more flights to Melbourne and Perth will benefit the network, transit time and improve yields,’’ Azran said.

Other points in China on AirAsia X’s radar screen are Xian, Wuhan and Shenyang.

Next year, it will fly to India and has submitted an application to fly to New York.

The airline’s growth momentum was strong in the first half of 2009, with more passengers carried than all of 2008.

July is also the fourth consecutive month that AirAsia X had sold 100,000 tickets, with its London sector achieving record 90% load factor.

It will also set up a virtual hub in the Gulf region in 2010 in partnership with an airport there.

That will be its springboard to new markets and a strategy to build a wider network ahead of it taking delivery of its A350 aircraft in 2016.

The point in the Gulf region will serve to link up cities in Europe and Africa.

According to Azran, 22% of the airline’s passengers to London go to other cities, which gives AirAsia X the confidence to set up a hub outside Malaysia.

The rationale to have a hub outside Malaysia was also due to concerns that the new Low-Cost Carrier Terminal might not be ready by 2011, and that flying from Kuala Lumpur limited the airline to an 8-hour radius, he said.

“We need to get a contract from MAHB (Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd) that provides incentives for us to grow or we will use more hubs and keep our aircraft outside of KL.

“The virtual hub is a strategic twist to the way we will operate our business, given the constraints,’’ he said.

Another possible area for a virtual hub is the Trans Tasman area (Australia/New Zealand).

Next year, AirAsia X would also focus on improving its seat configuration to add more leg-room and flat beds as part of its strategy to improve its products and services, Azran said.

Yes, Shanghai is in all likelihood to assume 'numbah-wan' status, but Hong Kong will be there to serve it's intended purpose, I believe, and it will be worth the effort :)

Believe Shanghai will be New York while Hong Kong will be Chicago. These two will co-exists but the former will be much bigger, more popular and a far more important financial hub. It is only a matter of time before Shanghai becomes number one in the world.

Funny that, perhaps it is in the Chinese DNA that they preferred to bully their own kind. :)

中华子弟败于不团结。 This has always been the case even before the second world war. Sorry for typing in Chinese and going OT :drinks:

Anyway, back to the topic. I wondered how is D7 doing on the Tianjin route ? According to their advertisement, Beijing can be reach by the bullet train in just half an hour. So far we've heard that TPE is doing exceptional great but not so much on other routes.

Edited by Isaac

They owe MAHB money, if they can't settle it, well there are consequences. Life not that easy ya.

I still believe AK should not be held to ransom over their dispute with MAHB.

The problem is between AK and MAHB. Regardless of shareholders and all, the Government should do what they are suppose to do, that is to assist any requesting Malaysian companies to secure landing rights.

I wondered how is D7 doing on the Tianjin route ? According to their advertisement, Beijing can be reach by the bullet train in just half an hour. So far we've heard that TPE is doing exceptional great but not so much on other routes.

One way to find out is to see if they increase their frequencies. D7 will increase frequencies (e.g. TPE and STN) if their load factors are high. I believe Tianjin is so so only and D7 actually reduced capacity a little as they are using the A343 for this route - when it launched, the A333 was deployed but that aircraft is now used for the TPE service now.

Edited by flee

Headlined on local paper this morning - AK directed by gahmen to cease KK-Sibu service

Deadline is Sept or something if I recall correctly

Wow, is this getting serious ?

Headlined on local paper this morning - AK directed by gahmen to cease KK-Sibu service

Deadline is Sept or something if I recall correctly

Wow, is this getting serious ?

Ceasing effective 25th Oct.

http://www.mysarawak.org/2009/08/01/airasia-forced-out-of-sibu-kk-route-ceo.html

Main busuk! :finger: :finger: :finger:

Edited by Walter Sim

Wah, our government can simply order a commercial entity like AK to stop a route like cancelling a food order in a restaurant. 'Standing ovation' to them!

Can AK bring this matter to the court?

Low-cost airline to stop direct flight from Oct 25 in compliance with govt directive

KUCHING: AirAsia will terminate its direct flight from Sibu to Kota Kinabalu because it has been forced to do so, its chief executive officer Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes said yesterday. In fact, he did not deny that his airline will cease operating the route this year, when The Borneo Post contacted him yesterday.

When asked why, he replied: “Because MAS (Malaysia Airlines) protested. Only MASwings can do it.”

The Borneo Post’s sister newspaper See Hua Daily News Sabah reported yesterday that AirAsia was stopping the Sibu-KK direct flight operations because it had received a directive from the government last week. The report quoted a spokesperson from AirAsia’s head office in Kuala Lumpur as saying that the said route was listed as a rural route and only one airline can provide the services.

The spokesperson said under such circumstances, the airline had no alternative but to follow the directive and stop flying the route from Oct 25. “However, AirAsia is working hard to retain the route. As for those clients who have made their bookings to fly from Oct 25, we will be refunding the money accordingly,” the spokesperson said. AirAsia flies from Sibu to Kota Kinabalu daily, using the Airbus A380 which has a capacity of 180 passengers.

According to a source here, since AirAsia started operating the Sibu-KK route in April this year, the demand had been very good with good passenger load for each flight. AirAsia media relations executive Nazatul Mokhtar told The Borneo Post yesterday that the airline would be issuing a press statement soon to explain what was happening.

Meanwhile, people in Sibu and Kota Kinabalu were taken aback by AirAsia’s decision to cancel the Sibu-Kota Kinabalu sector. They demanded to know the real issues behind the decision as they could see no reason for the cancellation since the daily flight between the two destinations was almost always full.

Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Robert Lau when contacted by telephone yesterday said he had not gone into details of the cancellation. “I’ll have to find out first before I can comment,” he said from Kuala Lumpur. Prominent local travel agent Robert Tan agreed that there could be certain “unknown reasons” that prompted the airline to make the rather abrupt decision.

But as it now stands, AirAsia has been stopped from flying to Seoul and Sydney purportedly for failing to pay landing fees to Malaysia Airports Berhad (MAB). If that is the reason that AirAsia is stopped from flying the Sibu-KK sector, all right-minded people will surely like to know why the airline is allowed to fly to other destinations in the country. There are more questions than answers to the cancellation, and most people think there must be other issues that caused it.

Tan, who is the managing director of Equatorial Tours and Travel Sdn Bhd, said if AirAsia was indeed running into heavy arrears of landing fees, then the airline should be assisted like by giving it a grace period to pay up, or the convenience of payment by instalments. He said such arrangements were nothing unusual as banks everywhere were giving private companies this sort of financial convenience.

He also urged the state government to come to the airline’s rescue, saying the cancellation of the Sibu-Kota Kinabalu sector was unfair particularly to Sibu, especially at this time when Sibu people were ‘celebrating’ the ‘Visit Sibu Year’.

“Kota Kinabalu is the second biggest hub or transit point after Kuala Lumpur for flying from Malaysia to the outside world like Seoul, Manila, Jakarta, HongKong and Macau,” he noted, adding Kota Kinabalu was also the most important and cheapest stopover. Tan felt that the decision to give up the Sibu-Kota Kinabalu route had come abruptly. “I would say AirAsia should give the people a six-month notice,” he added. To the travel agents, the cancellation of the Sibu-Kota Kinabalu sector is a piece of good news.

Explained Tan: “It is on-line booking for AirAsia flights. We get nothing. But passengers of MASwings come to us for the tickets. To us, ticketing agents, it’s like seeing light at the end of the tunnel now.” He said regular Sibu-Kota Kinabalu passengers could find solace in MASwings which flies four daily flights between Sibu and Kota Kinabalu. A bit costlier, but the capacity was there - two Fokker flights and two AT7 flights, he said. MASwings fare for the Sibu-Kota Kinabalu flight can go as low as RM247 and as high as RM285. However, Tan said the fare might be lower if the tickets were booked earlier.

AirAsia station manager Jackson Lau said the lowest AirAsia ticket could fetch was about RM100 and the highest, RM170. Asked about the refund to customers who have bought the tickets for flying after Oct 25, Lau said it would take about two to three weeks to get the refund done. He said the passenger loads for the Sibu-Kota Kinabalu sector had been good, and it was up to the management to decide whether or not - and when - to resume the cancelled sector.

A random survey of passengers’ views showed that the cancellation of the Sibu-Kota Kinabalu sector was generally felt as unfair to the people here. Yap Hoi Liong, for one, said the government should immediately react to it to ensure Sibu folk could still fly between Sibu and Sabah at affordable fares. He noted that the flights had always been full which showed that the demand was there. Yap, a special assistant to Bukit Assek assemblyman Wong Ho Leng, urged the government to put the interest of the people foremost when looking at the issue.

MH is so afraid of competition, busuk hati, bodoh, bangang, bahlol, unta, kelabu asap! I'll vote by cancelling my Hari Raya ticket with them.

[quote name='Mohd Azizul Ramli' date='01 August 2009 - 07:24 AM' timestamp='1249133060' post='234301'

MH is so afraid of competition, I'll vote by cancelling my Hari Raya ticket with them.

Sad to hear abt what happened in Bornoe. But I don't think you shud cancel your ticket......if there are tonnes of ppl do so, it will give them some impact, like this evening's protest :p

Edited by Seth K

Sibu and KK are not that rural, but if they are considered as part of the rural air service, then AK can't fly that route because of that technicality. Only MASwing flies that route. That's part of the agreement isn't it?

Guess the gov can reconsider what's rural routes and what's not.

Hahaha! AirAsia operates Airbus380 on the SBW-BKI route! With only 180 pax, imagine the legroom in each seat, the plane must be fitted with Suites and Attached Private Washrooms! Haiya...Malaysian reporters fall short when writing articles on aviation!

Only CONDEMNED airlines run to the government asking for protection from competition. Not enough asking for ALMS every now and then, now this.

Only CONDEMNED airlines run to the government asking for protection from competition. Not enough asking for ALMS every now and then, now this.

Isn't it just a careless mistake by Air Asia?

They should have known better that Sibu-KK air route is still considered as "rural" (though they are pretty developed). Air Asia did in fact serve the rural air service in East Malaysia before they found it to be a burden and dumped it back to MAS.

So MASwing is formed to fly the rural air service, guess they have the monopoly as well. They are pretty regulated by the gov.

If Air Asia wants to fly the route, then they should lobby for it to be "opened" first. Before this is done, they cannot fly the route, it's pretty obvious. And they should not cry wolves saying they were forced out because of MAS's protest. It's just bad taste.

Isn't it just a careless mistake by Air Asia?

They should have known better that Sibu-KK air route is still considered as "rural" (though they are pretty developed). Air Asia did in fact serve the rural air service in East Malaysia before they found it to be a burden and dumped it back to MAS.

So MASwing is formed to fly the rural air service, guess they have the monopoly as well. They are pretty regulated by the gov.

If Air Asia wants to fly the route, then they should lobby for it to be "opened" first. Before this is done, they cannot fly the route, it's pretty obvious. And they should not cry wolves saying they were forced out because of MAS's protest. It's just bad taste.

MAS or the Govt should have done so earlier then. Why can't they restrict AK of flying that route WHEN they started it. Why now? Does that mean that it took them a while to realize that AK plys BKI-SBW(Malaysian Ineffieciency at its best)? What about KCH-SBW? Should that be terminated as well if that's the case.

MAS has bad taste, not AK.

Edited by Walter Sim

Restricting successful and growing enterprise won’t benefit consumers, the industry or country economy but to encourage incompetent management :( :angry:

If cancellation of BKI/SBW and delay in approval for KUL/SYD is precedent, AK may need to re-think its long term strategy e.g. basing more aircrafts outside the country, becoming a ‘ASEAN’ carrier, etc.

:drinks:

Restricting successful and growing enterprise won’t benefit consumers, the industry or country economy but to encourage incompetent management :( :angry:

If cancellation of BKI/SBW and delay in approval for KUL/SYD is precedent, AK may need to re-think its long term strategy e.g. basing more aircrafts outside the country, becoming a ‘ASEAN’ carrier, etc.

:drinks:

Well it looks like govt. policies will probably drive AK out of this country. That is the reason why they have Thai and Indonesia AirAsia - so that AK has something to fall back on if a Plan B is needed.

The Malaysian govt. has driven out the motor industry players to Thailand. Now it may happen again when the LCC industry is also forced to be headquartered outside this country.

AirAsia X to boost Kuala Lumpur-Gold Coast flights

Daily news, 31 Jul 2009

KUALA LUMPUR – AirAsia X is increasing its four-times-weekly flights between Kuala Lumpur and the Gold Coast, Australia two six-times-weekly effective October 21. The new flights will depart the Gold Coast every Wednesday and Friday at 09:05 (AEST) and arrive in Kuala Lumpur at 15:25 the same day, local time.

AirAsia X Chief Executive Officer Azran Osman-Rani said the Gold Coast had proved to be an enduring route for the airline, which also flies to Melbourne and Perth in Australia.

“Despite a shrinking global aviation market, AirAsia X continues to buck the trend by delivering growth on all of our routes,” Osman-Rani said. “For the Gold Coast market alone, our passenger traffic grew by almost 15 percent in the first half of 2009 versus the same period in 2008.”

The increased flights coincide with the rollout of new Premium Class seating, which will replace the existing XL Class and includes larger, reclining seats - particularly attractive to long-haul passengers flying with AirAsia to Europe.

Source: http://www.travelweeklyweb.com/article-24524-airasiaxtoboostkualalumpurgoldcoastflights-Asia.html

MAS or the Govt should have done so earlier then. Why can't they restrict AK of flying that route WHEN they started it. Why now? Does that mean that it took them a while to realize that AK plys BKI-SBW(Malaysian Ineffieciency at its best)? What about KCH-SBW? Should that be terminated as well if that's the case.

Yes, that's right. The gov should have restrict AK from flying the route earlier.. You know how efficient they are, no joke..We deserve the gov we get.

I am all for AK to fly the route. Also would like to see MAS uses their Boieng, not just MASwing to ply Sibu-KK..

In all ways, it's hard to imagine Sibu-KK being considered as "rural flight". I think the gov should reconsider what's constitutes rural routes. Sibu-KK should be opened up for all players. MASwing should focus on "real" rural places, where their service is needed the most.

From what I understand, Rural Air Service is defined as those using the Twin Otters, thus qualifying for gov subsidies. Using F50 or ATR is not RAS, or IS IT? How could BKI be defined as rural? How could SBW be rural? If BKI (the second busies airport in Malaysia?) is rural, then PEN, JHB is even more rural.

OT, but look who's asking for ever more help. Tak mampu kalu....bungkus saja lah!

MASEU Appeals To PMB, ABM For A Waiver On Mas Aircraft Rental Fee

KUALA LUMPUR, July 21 (Bernama) -- The Malaysian Airlines System Employees' Union (MASEU) Tuesday appealed to Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd (PMB) and Aircraft Business Malaysia Sdn Bhd (ABM) to waive this year's aircraft rental and lease payment to be paid by Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS).

MAS pays close to RM1 billion annually in rent and lease payment to PMB and ABM, which is a subsidiary company of the Finance Ministry and fully controlled by Khazanah Nasional, MASEU said in a statement here today.

"If PMB and ABM provide the exemption on the cost of aircraft rental and lease for this financial year, MAS will be able to reach its target and recover within a short period," it said.

MASEU said that MAS had carried out two rounds of budget cut besides setting the target of reducing cost by RM700 million to RM1 billion.

"International airline companies have gone to reduce their operations and administration costs and so has MAS, and these actions are not enough to guarantee the strength of an organisation in this high technology industry," the union said.

An exemption on the rental and lease payment this year will help MAS cushion the cost of fuel hedging for the financial accounts ending December 2009.

According to the union's records, more than 68 aircrafts are rented and leased from PMB and ABM at the moment.

MAS recorded a net loss of RM695 million for the first quarter ending March 31, 2009, due to fuel hedging cost amounting to RM640.2 million.

MASEU also said that it placed the guarantee of employment as the main factor and any cost saving should be intended for saving jobs. It should not be the case of cutting jobs to save costs, it added.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=427020

Ooo... AK owes MAHB for MYR 65 million resulting in D7 being rejected to ply the KUL-ICN and KUL-SYD and AK were forced to withdraw from BKI-SBW.

MH owes PMB and ABM for MYR 1 BILLION (that's 1,000,000,000.00) and nothing happens?

Kindly be informed my dear fellow forumers that MASEU is asking for an EXEMPTION/WAIVER of the charges and not DEFERRAL. In any case, wouldn't be it the Treasuary monies (aka taxpayers monies) that will be sacrificed in the end? 'A self proclaimed 5 star airline begging its parent to let it use 68 aircrafts for free for a year so that it can brag of having achieve its targeted profit' is simply the best (or worst) aviation joke I ever heard!

And still no sacking or firing being done for the person(s) responsible for the MYR 557 million losses on fuel hedging last quarter but instead this? Yang sayang sangat nak simpan diaorang tu kenapa?

I guess 'fairplay' never exists in MH's code of conduct. Extremely frustrated! More reasons to hate MH and ditch them for other airlines.

If this were to happen in the US or Europe, the anti-competition authorities would have a field day. This is the equivalent of a taxpayer subsidy/bailout.