MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sing Yew

Give us Sydney, not Pyongyang, says AirAsia X

D7 CEO, Azran, is getting annoyed with the NST group journos:

NST's Presenna's writing another speculative story on AirAsia X-Sydney tomorrow. Her "facts" are wrong. We're looking to take legal action

Breaking info from my spy:

The NST bosses ran scared and pulled the plug on the story. AirAsia X has already gotten approval for Sydney. They're starting daily flights from April. They want to do sales launch in January, preferably after scoot launches.

Now that we have the insiders confirmation, so we should just wait for the official announcement then.

http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/psyd/Article/

According to sources, MAS, which flies direct to Sydney twice a day now, is expected to reduce its frequency to one flight a day to the benefit of long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X.

MAS neither confirmed nor denied the news, preferring to take a neutral stance

Another rumour or truth?

Edited by suadrif

Well BT is not a very credible source but it would make sense for MH to surrender one slot and deploy the A380 on their remaining slot. If SYD is a loss making route, then it makes sense to adjust capacity.

http://www.btimes.com.my/articles/psyd/Article/

According to sources, MAS, which flies direct to Sydney twice a day now, is expected to reduce its frequency to one flight a day to the benefit of long-haul budget carrier AirAsia X.

Nooooooooo!!!! :angry: I want MH to keep the twice daily flights out of SYD even if D7 starts flying there. I fly out of SYD so often (well, often enough) on MH that their schedule really suits me!

Anyway, MH really shouldn't reduce the frequency of flights into SYD. They offer reasonably good connections to the rest of their network from both flights.

Edited by Josh T

Nooooooooo!!!! :angry: I want MH to keep the twice daily flights out of SYD even if D7 starts flying there. I fly out of SYD so often (well, often enough) on MH that their schedule really suits me!

Anyway, MH really shouldn't reduce the frequency of flights into SYD. They offer reasonably good connections to the rest of their network from both flights.

...but their network is reducing to almost nothing !

One of their grouses is KUL-SYD's lack of growth.. It remains stagnant with MH's twice daily..So I don't see any point in MH giving up one slot so that Air Asia X can have it. They can go in as an extra player, that's fine.

Breaking info from my spy:

The NST bosses ran scared and pulled the plug on the story. AirAsia X has already gotten approval for Sydney. They're starting daily flights from April. They want to do sales launch in January, preferably after scoot launches.

Now that we have the insiders confirmation, so we should just wait for the official announcement then.

It's confirmed - D7 to SYD in April. Ticket sales starts next week.

AirAsia X to start KL-Sydney route

WoW!! After three years of fighting and numerous high profile brickbats, D7 finally got what they wanted...... :yahoo: :yahoo:

As long as it is not at the expense of MH rights of frequencies.

hhmmm but isn't there room for both D7 & MH?

Let's Look a little south of SYD;

MEL for instance has

x2 Daily MH A333 (Possible A380?)

x1 Daily D7 A332 (with extra frequency during peak periods)

x1 Daily EK (continues to DXB) B77W

That is double the number of seats/frequency SYD currently receives from KUL, but MEL seems to do quite well, and we haven't yet seen a reduction from MH who just a couple of months ago introduced their latest product.

D7 operates A333 into MEL.

SYD has slot constraint and curfew - so it may not be easy to get additional freqencies. That also explains why many airlines now prefer to use MEL as the gateway to Australia.

D7 operates A333 into MEL.

SYD has slot constraint and curfew - so it may not be easy to get additional freqencies. That also explains why many airlines now prefer to use MEL as the gateway to Australia.

The impression I got is that Australian side, Air Asia X was very welcomed to fly to SYD. Only the Malaysian Gov was placing hurdles. So if the Australians die die want Air Asia X to fly there yet didn't offer extra slot, that didn't sound quite right.

AirAsia X to start KL-Sydney route

It’s finalising whether to exit from Indian, European and Christchurch services

PETALING JAYA: AirAsia X (AAX) seems all set to start ticket sales for the much-awaited KL-Sydney route next week and will begin mounting flights to the Australian city by April this year, way ahead of rival Scoot.

The airline is also said to be in the final stages of rationalising its route network where it would cut some routes which it deemed to be unprofitable and add Sydney and some routes to China (provided it can get slots there) to its network.

“We want to do that (Sydney) well ahead of the competition,'' said a senior official of the airline group.

Scoot is Singapore Airlines' long-haul low-cost carrier that has named Sydney as the first city of call out of Singapore and plans to begin flying the route by mid-year.

The official declined to elaborate, but market has it that AAX will begin selling tickets for the sector next Tuesday and a team is planning to launch the sales from Sydney.

The first flight is slated to take off on April 1. However, all is subject to its internal planning, though the airline may be looking at daily flights for the KL-Sydney sector.

This puts an end to the near three-year wait and a bitter fight with Malaysia Airlines (MAS) over the route. MAS had previously lobbied against competition and the national carrier is still the only airline serving the KL-Sydney route after Jetstar withdrew from the sector in 2009.

This sharing of routes has been made possible after a share-swap agreement between AAX's sister company AirAsia and MAS on Aug 8 last year and both will collaborate rather than compete.

Currently, MAS flies twice daily from KL to Sydney and whether MAS will reduce the frequency to once daily and make way for AAX to take on the other slot is unclear.

“Choices and reasonable fares are what a traveller wants. But the biggest fear for travellers over the collaboration is the lack of competition and that is seen by the fare pricing for the Dehli/Mumbai sectors where the fares offered by AAX are somewhat close to that offered by MAS,'' said an industry source.

To be fair, AAX does offer reasonable rates for its Melbourne, Perth and Gold Coast flights and if the booking is made in advance, the savings can be up to 40% of the full-service fares. The airline is currently offering a 20% discount on its base fares for all its routes for a limited period.

Asked on the strategy for the KL-Sydney route, the official said:“We would offer lots of low fares and as we are already well known in Australia it should be (fairly easy to fill up our aircraft).''

Interestingly, those in the know claim that AAX is close to finalising details on whether to exit from the Indian (New Dehli, Mumbai), European (London and Paris) and Christchurch routes.

Sources said both MAS and AAX had had several meetings over the matter so that MAS could take over all the slots from AAX for the routes and carry AAX passengers that have booked seats with the airline.

The date for axing the route is said to be as early as February. AAX has, however, repeatedly said that “no decision on routes, whether to add new ones or cancel new ones'' had been made.

But those in the know claim that “all this adding and axing of routes is part of the understanding under the collaboration.'' Looking from the collaboration perspective, moving out of the European/India/Christchurch routes is seen as a compromise to get Sydney and some China routes.

MAS CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya in his executive summary of his business plan said that “we are close to finalising a connecting-service that will enable passengers on either airline to seamlessly connect between carriers and non-overlapping routes.”

Separately on Tuesday, AirAsia boss Tan Sri Tony Fernandes tweeted: “With all that's going on, we will need to get more planes. I will be speaking to the board. The growth in the low-cost arena is very exciting.''

Last Friday he was quoted in Paris as saying: “AirAsia will consider buying up to 25 Airbus A320 aircraft. Our growth will probably exceed the aircraft that we have right now, and the initial public offerings of AirAsia's units in Thailand and Indonesia will give us the ability to probably take more aircraft.''

Source

...but their network is reducing to almost nothing !

I wouldn't say "nothing". There's still something! ;)

MH122/123 connects nicely with all the European flights whereas MH140/141 connects very nicely with Asian flights. :good:

One of their grouses is KUL-SYD's lack of growth.. It remains stagnant with MH's twice daily..So I don't see any point in MH giving up one slot so that Air Asia X can have it. They can go in as an extra player, that's fine.

SYD can definitely sustain 2 daily flights from MH and 1 daily flight from D7.

SYD can definitely sustain 2 daily flights from MH and 1 daily flight from D7.

Well you better hope they do so - MH could consolidate their two flights into the dugong A380.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Well you better hope they do so - MH could consolidate their two flights into the dugong A380.

I'm sure they will. They'll see a big spike in demand after they join OneWorld. I read in lots of forums about OW members waiting for MH to be part of the alliance because they want a cheaper (and better) alternative to flying from Australia to Europe apart from BA and QF. They'll need the dugong for MH 122/123. The 2nd flight can use the new A33E.

Well well well... What do we have here...

Link from The Star

PETALING JAYA: AirAsia X (AAX) seems all set to start ticket sales for the much-awaited KL-Sydney route next week and will begin mounting flights to the Australian city by April this year, way ahead of rival Scoot.

The airline is also said to be in the final stages of rationalising its route network where it would cut some routes which it deemed to be unprofitable and add Sydney and some routes to China (provided it can get slots there) to its network.

“We want to do that (Sydney) well ahead of the competition,'' said a senior official of the airline group.

Scoot is Singapore Airlines' long-haul low-cost carrier that has named Sydney as the first city of call out of Singapore and plans to begin flying the route by mid-year. (Click on the link to read the full article)

hhmmm but isn't there room for both D7 & MH?

Let's Look a little south of SYD;

MEL for instance has

x2 Daily MH A333 (Possible A380?)

x1 Daily D7 A332 (with extra frequency during peak periods)

x1 Daily EK (continues to DXB) B77W

That is double the number of seats/frequency SYD currently receives from KUL, but MEL seems to do quite well, and we haven't yet seen a reduction from MH who just a couple of months ago introduced their latest product.

I suppose D7 will return to twice daily after they have enough of aircraft.

I'm sure they will. They'll see a big spike in demand after they join OneWorld. I read in lots of forums about OW members waiting for MH to be part of the alliance because they want a cheaper (and better) alternative to flying from Australia to Europe apart from BA and QF. They'll need the dugong for MH 122/123. The 2nd flight can use the new A33E.

Given MH past performance, the big spike in demand will be short term.QF and BA won’t sit idle to allow MH to erode their market share.

Given MH past performance, the big spike in demand will be short term.QF and BA won’t sit idle to allow MH to erode their market share.

MH will be a member of Oneworld soon - don't you think QF & BA will work out an agreement that's mutually beneficial to everyone?

You may see the opposite. BA/QF might fly to KUL, drop their pax and will be picked up by QF (or offshoot), D7 and MH. They rather see that than having their pax transit through DXB!