MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sing Yew

Give us Sydney, not Pyongyang, says AirAsia X

Air Asia X Launches KL-Sydney Route, Eyes Adelaide

510844.jpg

SYDNEY, Jan 17 (Bernama) -- Air Asia X, which launched its Kuala Lumpur-Sydney direct flight today, is already looking at Adelaide as the next city for its expansion in Australia.

Air Asia X Chief Executive Officer, Azran Osman-Rani said talks on this are only at the preliminary stage and it will not happen this year but in 2013.

He was speaking to Malaysian journalists following the launch of the airline's Kuala Lumpur-Sydney route at the Museum of Contemporary Art Centre here.

The inaugural Kuala Lumpur-Sydney flight, which takes off on April 1, will be offered at a one-way fare of RM199. This is the lowest fare ever offered to this city by air from the Malaysian capital.

Fares for Australians flying into Kuala Lumpur will start from A$99.

Azran said the low-cost long-haul airline expects to see a revenue of RM16 million in its first year of operations into the Kuala Lumpur-Sydney route.

He also reiterated that while there was much speculation on the reasons for Air Asia X to recently suspend flights to four cities, namely Paris, London, New Delhi and Mumbai, it was purely a business decision.

Despite passenger traffic being high, the high fuel cost, introduction of a carbon tax in Europe (effective) and tax issues in India, were really the reasons for the pullout, he said.

Azran also said the withdrawal from the four cities had nothing to do with its collaboration with Malaysia Airlines (MAS).

The review of the sectors had started in 2010 and even before AirAsia's collaboration with MAS.

"This was really an Air Asia X decision. We decided that rather than go into many markets and stretch ourselves thin, we would focus on the core markets, where potential for growth was high.

"There are immense opportunities in the Asia Pacific. The strategy is for few countries, multiple cities and economies of scale. We are looking at Australia, Japan, China, Taiwan, and also Tehran," he said.

On whether Air Asia X would still be competing with MAS, Azran said that would be the case as with all the cities it was flying to.

Air Asia X currently flies to the Gold Coast, Melbourne and Perth in Australia.

However, he said it is clear that the workable model for MAS, is in it being a premier airline offering premier products and services, and its real competitor would be other premier airlines.

Meanwhile, the Air Asia X Kuala Lumpur-Sydney flight has been lauded as a significant development for both the Australian and Malaysian tourism industries.

Sandra Chipchase, the Chief Executive Officer of Destination NSW (New South Wales), said the new service would eventually generate around 55,000 more international visitors to the state annually.

She also said at the end of September last year, NSW welcomed 46,000 visitors from Malaysia.

"Visitor expenditure to NSW from Malaysia totalled A$142 million, an increase of over 75 per cent from the previously," she added.

Chipchase said the new AirAsia X service is expected to increase this income further.

If, I am saying if, D7 makes a loss on KUL-SYD route, will they pull out from SYD (or reduce frequencies) and leave MH with only 1 daily flights :pardon:

It'd be pretty embarassing if that happens. They have fought for SYD for too long and too hard to give it up that easily, and giving it up would send the message "we thought we could make it work but we were wrong".

If, I am saying if, D7 makes a loss on KUL-SYD route, will they pull out from SYD (or reduce frequencies) and leave MH with only 1 daily flights :pardon:

I don't think MH announced any frequency cuts to SYD.

D7 is aiming to do double daily to SYD once they have sufficient demand and aircraft. They also serve MEL twice a day during peak summer periods.

..... giving it up would send the message "we thought we could make it work but we were wrong".

Anyone who can stand up and say that has my unreserved admiration :)

Pure business sense will dictate that they try to maximize whatever time they have until the next "issue" comes along and affect profitability. Could be due to new rules & regulation like in Europe. Does anyone know how long have D7 moved to LGW from STN?

Does anyone know how long have D7 moved to LGW from STN?

AK's site says they moved from STN to LGW 24 Oct 2011

Less than three months so far

Aussie consumer watchdog takes AirAsia to court

By B.K. SIDHU

bksidhu@thestar.com.my

Read more: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/1/20/business/10298912&sec=business

PETALING JAYA: The Australian consumer watchdog has taken AirAsia Bhd to court for allegedly failing to disclose the full price of fares for flights from Australia to overseas destinations.

The airline said it was seeking legal advice on the matter.

“AirAsia is investigating internally an application made in the Federal Court of Victoria with regards to alleged contraventions of the Australian Consumer Law with respect to claimed non-all-inclusive fares being presented on its website to Australian consumers.

“The allegations relate to specific routes from Australia with transit through Kuala Lumpur,” the low-cost carrier said in a statement yesterday.

b_02airasia.jpgCrew preparing an AirAsia flight for take-off. The carrier is seeking legal advice on a suit by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission

It added that “the company takes seriously its obligations with regards to complying with consumer legislation and has operated successfully in Australia since 2007 without any previous claims.

“The company is currently seeking legal advice and as the matter is now subject to legal proceedings, the company won't comment further at this time.''

On Tuesday, AirAsia's sister airline, AirAsia X, launched its much awaited KL-Sydney-KL route. On the same day, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) filed a suit in the Federal Court against AirAsia. Both AirAsia and AirAsia X share the same website for selling tickets.

This also comes a week after the airline announced the axing of its flights to London, Paris, New Delhi and Mumbai for various reasons.

I do agree with Australian, nowadays AK doesn't show its promo fare on every flight or every operating day, only certain days, even on the domestic sector. This is misleading, not unless they make it like MH, valid only on MHxxx & MHxxx like that.

Edited by Mike P

BK Sidhu still does not understand that promo fare is not shown if there are no promo tickets left for that flight. Some kinda journo and editor she is! :(

BK Sidhu still does not understand that promo fare is not shown if there are no promo tickets left for that flight. Some kinda journo and editor she is! :(

Where did she say that?

The article said "failing to disclose the full price of fares for flights" - that is, the full fare including all the optional extras, not promo fares. This is the reason why MH didn't offer premium seat selection for flights from Australia because to do so would mean a major upgrade of the booking engine interface.

We do all understand since Day 1 AirAsia X launched service into Australia, they are bound to get into trouble with local competition regulators with so many charges. Europe and Australia have strong law to protect consumers against 'misleading' advertisement. D7/AK's case is even more complicated since the Fly-Thru service has started, ,meaning from Australia to multiple domestic destinations: tax, option surcharges etc.

Anyways, we are off topic. Lets get back on track....

AirAsia X has landed. Yupe, I went and saw the landing as well as take off. As a Malaysian, felt proud to see two airlines of Malaysia in Sydney.

I was hoping they sent a special scheme over (the one with NOW EVERYONE CAN FLY TO MALAYSIA) but instead the standard livry reg: 9M-XXG.

Question: SInce today it's their first flight into Sydney, do they place a return crew in Sydney a day or two before OR 2 sets of crews, one on arrival

and the other back to home base. Can someone please shed some light how this works?

Oh, before I left.. MAS A332F landed. What a treat!

I think it's quite normal to bring two sets of crew for inaugural flight. The other set just travels like normal passenger.

Question: SInce today it's their first flight into Sydney, do they place a return crew in Sydney a day or two before OR 2 sets of crews, one on arrival

and the other back to home base. Can someone please shed some light how this works?

I think it's quite normal to bring two sets of crew for inaugural flight. The other set just travels like normal passenger.

A set of crew can work about 8-12 hours of duty time depending on their starting time. Positioning before flight is considered as duty as well, so the set of crew need to be flown in earlier and must be well rested before their flight. You don't want a set of very tired crew landing your aircraft, do you?

Not only it's not normal, it's also not legal. They must have sent a pair of pilots at least a day earlier. ( Free ride on MH in the spirit of the CCF perhaps? ).

I was on D7's inaugural flight to OOL on 2 November 2007 and I had a chat with the leading stewardess, she informed me that a set of crew (cockpit and cabin) has been flown into OOL 2 days earlier for the return flight which is also the inaugural OOL-KUL flight on 3 November 2007.

Pardon my ignorance, does it mean Air Asia cannot carry their own crew for return flight (provided they have proper rest)? For instance, if Air Asia is not flying daily to a destination, the other set of crew pretty sure will have enough rest before operating their return flight.

Yes they can, if only the crew has at least 10 hours rest in the hotel.

When Air Astana started flying to KUL (twice a week), the same set of crew will operate both ways but only after about 12 hrs rest in the hotel in KUL.

:hi:

Thank you all for providing the answer to my question. Do anyone here know what the load both ways? I was particularly happy as the pilots waved at us :)

And I snap a few pictures which I hope to upload shortly.

New era in budget travel to Asia as AirAsia X lands

Save this story to read later

767693-airasia-x-sydney.jpg

The inaugural AirAsia X flight from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney arrived today. Picture: Supplied

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

BUDGET airline AirAsia X's first plane landed in Sydney today, sparking a new era in cheap travel to Asia.

The airline will operate daily flights to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia, with new one-way sale fares from $199 for online bookings until Thursday.

It also has fly-thru promotional fares to Japan, Bali, Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam from $239.

Singapore Airline's budget offshoot Scoot will also begin flying from Sydney to Singapore in July.

The new airlines will make it quicker and cheaper to get to Asia than ever before, with AirAsia X offering links to more than 80 destinations.

Sydney is AirAsia X's fourth Australian destination after the Gold Coast, Melbourne and Perth and its move into the Harbour City had been highly anticipated for some time.

The airline had previously been denied permission to fly from Sydney by the Malaysian Government, despite receiving the green light from local authorities, because it wanted to protect its national carrier from aggressive new price competition.

In late 2010, the airline painted the phrase "Liberate Sydney. End the Monopoly'' on the side of its newest plane.

AirAsia X chairman Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz, AirAsia X CEO Azran Osman-Rani and members of the airline's board of directors joined passengers on the inaugural D7222 flight.

"AirAsia X's presence in Sydney is a game changer which will deliver more competitive fares and choice for Sydneysiders," Mr Osman-Rani said.

"We are very excited to bring some much-needed competition to Sydney's skies and continue to live up to our brand promise of Now everyone can fly.''

Mr Osman-Rani said he had been delighted with the response to the Sydney service and the airline has recorded strong forward sales since it opened the route for sale in January.

The sale fares are valid for travel from June 26 until September 30, 2012 and terms and conditions apply.

Source:http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/new-era-in-budget-travel-to-asia-as-airasia-x-lands/story-e6frfq80-1226316767994