MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

MH is too proud and would rather reinvent the wheel (e.g. community airline) than to copy SQ/MI business model :pardon:

KUL/BKI, KUL/BKK and KUL/SIN have proven by increasing frequency and lowering fare, overall volume increased. If FY could offer additional frequency and cheaper fare, FY should be supported.

:drinks:

that is right,, airasia nowadays is not as cheap as it used to be, i booked airasia ticket to pnompenh and its like 20% more expensive than ever, GO FIREFLY!! KICK AIRASIA OUT!!

that is right,, airasia nowadays is not as cheap as it used to be, i booked airasia ticket to pnompenh and its like 20% more expensive than ever, GO FIREFLY!! KICK AIRASIA OUT!!

Thats a very childish and immature thought. All you care is "kick air asia out' and you have been echoing that all along this forum. No wonder with people with thoughts like yours the country is falling way behind in Avistion compared to singapore because of selfish chaachter,not willing to share and grow.

Your point of view is vwey narrow.

Thats a very childish and immature thought. All you care is "kick air asia out' and you have been echoing that all along this forum. No wonder with people with thoughts like yours the country is falling way behind in Avistion compared to singapore because of selfish chaachter,not willing to share and grow.

Your point of view is vwey narrow.

well its my point of view as a general civilian, a passenger who want to fly cheaper. firefly existence in lcct will drop air ticket, isnt that good? rite now airasia is alone in lcct, they charge around 60-70 percent of MH's fare as 40-50 percent it used to be. airasia think that as long as we charge lower than MH we'll be find.

well its my point of view as a general civilian, a passenger who want to fly cheaper. firefly existence in lcct will drop air ticket, isnt that good? rite now airasia is alone in lcct, they charge around 60-70 percent of MH's fare as 40-50 percent it used to be. airasia think that as long as we charge lower than MH we'll be find.

I agree with you that lower fares will be a good idea, but it may lead to one of them or both reporting a loss in the next financial year.In todays world, as fuel prices are very high you have to use fuel efficient planes to offer low fares and using 734's will be a big burden to firefly, 738's or even better Embraer 190's will do very well with firefly,

Generally in my experience, firefly is always more expensive than Air Asia. But I dont mind paying a little more to land in Subang. But if it was KLIA I will certainly choose the one with the lower fare and newer aircraft. :rolleyes:

I want to see firefly thrife not closedown because of jumping in the well and drowning because dont know how to swim,just because you saw someone else swimming in that well.

Edited by jadivindra

Firefly as a brand cannot be likened to MI - consistently marketed and rated as a boutique airline.

Firefly has imaged itself as a community and no-frills airline - albeit with the odd frill of cordial and a muffin and 20kgs allowance - but you are paying for it through higher fares than as AirAsia.

If MAS wanted to operate a carrier such as MI in the boutique category and use an all narrow-body fleet, the airline to do it with is MASWings - A name synonymous with the parent airline - an attractive and classy image that fulfills expectations of a boutique airline - and access and a base at one of Malaysia's premier leisure destinations - Kota Kinabalu. And it is also synonymous with DOMESTIC operations.

MASWings should then be given the mandate to operate the new B737-800's on international destinations such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Yogyakarta, Medan, Aceh, Padang, Bandung, Surabaya, Hainan, Chengdu, Phnomh Penh etc etc etc as well as all domestic services.

Firefly should remain an entity that operates turboprop services linking major peninsular towns with Subang and secondary destinations.

MAS should then commit to a fleet of 10-15 B737-900ERs to boost frequency for its own extended international operations such as PER, DEL, TPE, MNL, PDG etc etc.

Again, look at all the things and scenarios we can come up with... at the end of the day, if the people at MAS want to make money, they'll make the right decisions - whether history has been a lesson in this regard will be seen in the future. We can speculate and hypothesize and argue all we like, but at the end of the day, we're not the bean counters at MAS.

I agree with you that lower fares will be a good idea, but it may lead to one of them or both reporting a loss in the next financial year.In todays world, as fuel prices are very high you have to use fuel efficient planes to offer low fares and using 734's will be a big burden to firefly, 738's or even better Embraer 190's will do very well with firefly,

Generally in my experience, firefly is always more expensive than Air Asia. But I dont mind paying a little more to land in Subang. But if it was KLIA I will certainly choose the one with the lower fare and newer aircraft. :rolleyes:

I want to see firefly thrife not closedown because of jumping in the well and drowning because dont know how to swim,just because you saw someone else swimming in that well.

yeah 737-400 isnt efficient and i dont think they will used it for a long time. it soon will be replaced believe me. as what airasia and lionair did in the beginning. Airasia just need a competitor, whether its under firefly or not, under MH or not. even singapore has two LCC. malaysia has like 5-6 times population of spore.

MASWings should then be given the mandate to operate the new B737-800's on international destinations such as .....

imo a bit messy I believe, since MASWings P/L is very much inter-twined with what the gahmen apparently subsize the carrier for the allegedly loss making "rural air services" (RAS) here in ulu-Borneo :p

MASWings should then be given the mandate to operate the new B737-800's on international destinations such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Yogyakarta, Medan, Aceh, Padang, Bandung, Surabaya, Hainan, Chengdu, Phnomh Penh etc etc etc as well as all domestic services.

If demand is strong on these routes from BKI or KCH, it is more likely AK will ply these routes before Maswings or MH sniff it :pardon:

:drinks:

its not a stupid things,, why u keep sayin that,, firefly can both operate in subang and LCCT,, like BA and JAL operating in more than one airport in a same city,, the 737-400 just need some work on the cabin lighting,, leather seat,, and some sexy flight attendant,, and VOILA

I totally agree with you

but what i knew is FY has changed their business model.they were no longer a LCC.

We should also not forget that when Firefly first started, their hub was in Penang. Since then their business model has evolved as the management found its feet. It has also found that the real "action" is coming from the Klang Valley.

We should also not forget that when Firefly first started, their hub was in Penang. Since then their business model has evolved as the management found its feet. It has also found that the real "action" is coming from the Klang Valley.

Talked to a friend last week. Until today, AOC still shows ops from PEN as their hub. Fair and square lah :drinks:

Now that this rumour is becomming a reality...

Firefly targets flights to Sabah by year-end

By Marina Emmanuel Published: 2010/08/21

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/fliez-2/Article/

MALAYSIA Airlines (MAS) (3786) is set to allow wholly-owned FlyFirefly Sdn Bhd to begin operating its B737-400 aircraft to Sabah.

Firefly is said to have been in talks with Sabah tourism authorities this week, and is likely to proceed with the move by the year-end.

MAS has been reported to have 36 B737-400 aircraft, which are due to exit from service by 2014.

Firefly currently operates the ATR 72-500 turbopropeller servicing routes in Peninsular Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia from its two hubs at the Penang and Subang airports.

Sources said that both Firefly and MAS will operate the Sabah routes, with Firefly flying out of the KL International Airport in Sepang.

On August 9, MAS said Kota Kinabalu would be its eastern hub and gateway to promote travels to and from China, Taiwan, North Asia, Indonesia and Australia.

The hub will be developed over three stages from November 15 this year to June 3 next year.

MAS said it was targeting 150 flights and a cabin crew of 250 for the Kota Kinabalu hub by next June. Six aircraft, two of which would be the B737-800 and four B737-400, would be based in Kota Kinabalu.

An aviation expert, when contacted, said that Firefly would first need to obtain approval from the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) to fly the new local routes.

"The DCA air worthiness division will need to audit the transfer first. This will then be followed by a flight destination approval from the authority's air transport division," the source said.

I think it is a sad development.

Now that this rumour is becomming a reality...

I think it is a sad development.

It not a sad development.It good for us as a customer,as we have a lot more choices now.Before this,the only options we have for flight from KUL to Sabah only MAS and AK.

My sources are indicating that Firefly will lease a few B734 from outside, not taking any from MH.

My sources are indicating that Firefly will lease a few B734 from outside, not taking any from MH.

Interesting information. What happened to all the talk about getting it from MH?

Hopefully, FY will start using B737 ex-MH and make LCCT as their hub...

As the matter of SZB, why not the government open to ANY airlines who wish to fly there and increase the airport tax! Or maybe to have imposed quota of frequencies for airlines who wish to fly there!

Yes we know that people around SZB will reject this plan, but they can implement CURFEW for this airport! SZB will not make money, but will serve businessmen who hate to go KLIA...just like London City i think!

that's a great idea..residents will be happy with the curfew regulation..taking london city or sydney (kingsford) for example..

I like London City idea, they have curfew, they make restriction on what type of aircraft can be used like ATR72, Saab and Embraer (unfortunately, A320 was denied here)...

Or if the government wont agree with this or the peoples around keep complaining, then it times for MH to consider on forming other wings, like MHJets, MASCity or wutever...

Just for the sake of biz traveller...

I like London City idea, they have curfew, they make restriction on what type of aircraft can be used like ATR72, Saab and Embraer (unfortunately, A320 was denied here)...

Or if the government wont agree with this or the peoples around keep complaining, then it times for MH to consider on forming other wings, like MHJets, MASCity or wutever...

hahaha...i think MAS already have FY operating at SZB for that purpose.

I don't think London City Airport is big enough for the A320, so it's not because of curfew.