MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

Last day of service stated as 4th Dec for the last flights (ever?) of FY jets - maybe this is more poignant.

FY bookings only allow bookings up to 30 Oct for the KUL-BKI sector.

Will miss Firefly jets :) Have used them a couple of times to East Malaysia and was pretty impress with its service, much better than AA.

I have cancelled other commitments, just to take a KUL-BKI trip this weekend. As they say, to saviour its final moments...

MAS will take over Firefly jets

PETALING JAYA: Firefly will continue to use its turboprop aircraft to operate short-haul services from Subang and Penang, while its jets will be taken over by Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and redeployed into MAS’ operations by Dec 4 for its short-haul premium full-service offering.

Firefly began offering jet services for connectivity to Sabah and Sarawak from the peninsula in November last year but the plan had been shelved after MAS entered into a share swap with rival AirAsia in August this year.

“The takeover of jet services is an important part of MAS group’s business realignment exercise and is prompted by the need to address network and fleet restructuring plans for short-haul jet services,” MAS Group CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said in a statement.

The takeover also address the issue of continuing heavy losses incurred by the Firefly jet operations.

Source

FY bookings only allow bookings up to 30 Oct for the KUL-BKI sector.

I know, but was suggesting you take the very last flight that arrives at KUL (from SDK?) on 4th (or actually 5th, if after 00:00hrs)...& to be able to join the crew to switch off the lights as you leave the room for that very last time.

Really sad to see this happening to FY. I hope the crew will be transferred to the new airline under Project Sapphire.

I know, but was suggesting you take the very last flight that arrives at KUL (from SDK?) on 4th (or actually 5th, if after 00:00hrs)...& to be able to join the crew to switch off the lights as you leave the room for that very last time.

You have a point there. But I think the KUL-BKI-KUL on Oct 30 will be more meaningful to me considering I was on the inaugural flight. Nevertheless, would love to read a trip report from someone flying on FY's final flight back to KUL.

I wonder what will happen to Firefly's jet crew.

Firefly's jet crew also wonder what will happen to them. I asked some of my member crew worked there and they also don't know what will happen future and some of them quick respon maybe tender and look other jobs.

Firefly's jet crew also wonder what will happen to them. I asked some of my member crew worked there and they also don't know what will happen future and some of them quick respon maybe tender and look other jobs.

My second cousin is a Firefly Second Officer. His dad is pulling some strings to get him into AK.

This thread created in 2010 :D

Thanks for pointing that out BC Tam :)

Must be the time I submit the reply, 12:22 AM (typical to blame everything else but myself hehe) :rolleyes:

I have cancelled other commitments, just to take a KUL-BKI trip this weekend. As they say, to saviour its final moments...

...and the nasi lemak too. Heard it's one of the best, even better than MH and AK's.

AK's Nasi Lemak is terrible these days - soggy and nothing special. A far cry from those served three or four years ago.

It is funny how nostalgic and melancholic one gets when faced with the prospect of losing something good. I had done many AK trips a year but none of the journey was even distinctly memorable. However, I have fond memories of a single KUL-BKI return trip with FY earlier this year. AK's crew was too cool and distant compared to the warm and friendly FY crew. :(

At least the turboprop operation is still alive, some consolation indeed.

Edited by V Wong

Received sms yesterday said that my wife flight BKI-KUL on 4th Nov & KUL-BKI on 7th Nov have been cancelled. I manage to contact firefly call center and they said will transfer the flight to MAS instead.

AK's Nasi Lemak is terrible these days - soggy and nothing special. A far cry from those served three or four years ago.

I was travelling on MH from KUL - KCH yesterday. Apparently they have to serve Nasi Lemak to most of the passengers since the other option, Chicken Noodles were running out... LOL.

Just got back from SIN just now. One of FY's B734 is now berthed at KLIA without any title. Livery is still on. Quite dark actually...I maybe wrong...the end is near...T.T

I never quite understood why FY had to lease B734s when MH had so many to hand down to them! Anyway, lets hope that this mad throwing away of money is now stemmed and it will cut losses on FY's (and ultimately, MH's) losses on the jet operations.

I never quite understood why FY had to lease B734s when MH had so many to hand down to them! Anyway, lets hope that this mad throwing away of money is now stemmed and it will cut losses on FY's (and ultimately, MH's) losses on the jet operations.

It was weak leadership in MAS resulted in FireFly to leased older B734 than it's own. MAS management failed to impose on it's subsidiary to take these B734s.

So which FY jets remain in service these days?

Are the 734s all gone?

I saw one of FY's leased 734 sitting idle in JHB. Not sure of its registration though.

I wonder what will happen to Firefly's jet crew.

In the most bizarre development, FY is actually recruiting more cabin crew.

377141_10150326689156511_52630456510_8238460_2076458392_n.jpg

Firefly Airlines

Wanna become a flight attendant? Firefly is recruiting both male and female cabin crew! The walk-in interview is on 12 Nov (Sat); details to be found at www.fireflyz.com.my/about/careers... Good Luck!

It is also seen that the new recruitment ad is featuring the crew in their old uniform. So the uniform is also reverted back to its former turboprop days' design to completely diminish all evidence about the existence of FY jet service (which includes its new uniform)?

Sad that the FY jet services are now winding down. But this was necessary to stop MAS bleeding to death.

Azran Osman Rani tweets:

AA didn't kill FF. FF killed itself. It was an unviable business. Few flights yet they lost RM50 million in 6 months.

Sad that the FY jet services are now winding down. But this was necessary to stop MAS bleeding to death.

Azran Osman Rani tweets:

It is interesting to note that Azran stated a figure in his tweet, when MH has never publicly disclosed how much FY lost, has it?

If those numbers were never disclosed, then did the numbers or some board papers fell off the back of a truck?

Edited by Mushrif A

Not sure how could FY lose the money. Besides, the Boeing Jet just started the service, how could they breakeven so quick? Silly...

Well FY is a "Sdn Bhd" (private limited company). So it does not disclose any operational or financial numbers. AirAsia X is also the same but for the past year, they have been voluntarily disclosing their operating statistics.

The AirAsia X CEO is not like many of us who pass emotional comments. He usually prefers to support his arguments with facts. Whether these numbers are right or wrong is not for me to judge. Neither are his sources.

Many wild accusations have been hurled at him - some of them are totally untrue and some are just hearsay. He has to respond to correct those bits of mis information. Heck, some people don't even know that AirAsia X and AirAsia are two different companies! :(

Not sure how could FY lose the money. Besides, the Boeing Jet just started the service, how could they breakeven so quick? Silly...

I don't know if those numbers are just FY losses or they also includes MH's losses on their East Malaysia operations. Remember MH was losing money at the rate of over RM 5m per day in Q2 2011.

FY losses are consolidated into MH accounts but are not seperately disclosed.

It would definitely cost more for them to restructure. Considering reconfiguring the seats and repainting the aircraft of FY into MH. But, if this is a long term and permanent solution for them to turnover into profit, that would be good. I hope they won't mess it up.

It would definitely cost more for them to restructure. Considering reconfiguring the seats and repainting the aircraft of FY into MH. But, if this is a long term and permanent solution for them to turnover into profit, that would be good. I hope they won't mess it up.

Yes of course, there will be new "startup costs" for the new regional airline.

AirAsia X learnt the hard way when they had to rip out those lousy non reclining seats from their A330s after less than one year in service. They claimed that after installing the new seats, business was better and the expense was recovered within 6 months.

It is crucial that they get the premium product right so as to put the new airline in a winning position. MH cannot afford to have a loss maker in its midst!