MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ja Singh

Firefly may take MAS jets to expand

Seriously, MH needs to look at the business models being used by QF with JQ and SQ with MI. These 2 legacy carriers turn in huge profits every year.

MI is supporting and feeding SQ on routes that is too small or low yield for SQ, not plying the same route and MI is hardly profitable.

Given FY routes is overlap and code share with MH, unsure how MH is going to differential itself from FY. At the end of the day, MH and FY ticket price is likely to converge, and MH may be forced to code share with FY.

:drinks:

At the end of the day, MH and FY ticket price is likely to converge, and MH may be forced to code share with FY.

Yup, can see possibility in time to come, say a year or so from now, that MH metal will make way for FY's over domestic skies. International arrivals will be shuffled off onto the code shared FY flights if they require onward transit to say KCH or BKI from KUL, but still be paying the 5* prices probably :pardon:

Seriously, MH needs to look at the business models being used by QF with JQ and SQ with MI. These 2 legacy carriers turn in huge profits every year.

Dream on MH ....... as long as the politicians keep milking money from MH, it will never surface again though other airlines in this region made zillions of $$$$ in FY2010. Can't resist to notice that a 'KLAS' catering truck was replenishing F & B on an FY B738 at KLIA this afternoon (15 Jan). Trying to escape from LSG (Brahim Badawi) Skychef perhaps?........ :help:

:hi:

From the recent development, find MH is obsessed in crippling AK :sorry: Given MH (i.e. GLC) resources, through FY, MH can put a dent on AK profit. However, FY is unlikely to be profitable either :pardon:

Believe MH should focus to gain market share from SQ, TG, EK, EY, QF, VS, BA, CX, etc.

Agreed

How come they can't have Firefly Indonesia when there is already Air Asia Indonesia.

From what I gathered, the Indonesian government changed a lot of regulations for foreign airlines to set up operation in their country to protect their national interest after Indonesia AirAsia was formed.

The law (that was passed not long after Indonesia Air Asia was set up) is clear that foreign company can only own up to 49% of any airlines in Indonesia and that no airline can operate under its original foreign entity name.

Should the funding issue become something of an oversight for the government, the related minister will surely be summoned to the parliament for some very brute questioning sessions. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how one looks at it, Indonesia's parliament is no longer a rubber stamp institution that it once was during the Soeharto's era. Those lawmakers now are true chauvinists.

Well, I do hope FY can be successful at setting up a subsidiary in Indonesia. Since they can't call it Firefly, maybe they will call it Ladybug. Tidak ada Kunang Kunang, Kumbang pun jadi lah... Who knows?

Quoted from UMD of SQTalk LOL.

MI is supporting and feeding SQ on routes that is too small or low yield for SQ, not plying the same route and MI is hardly profitable.

Given FY routes is overlap and code share with MH, unsure how MH is going to differential itself from FY. At the end of the day, MH and FY ticket price is likely to converge, and MH may be forced to code share with FY.

QF and JQ have a very successful arrangement and they often code-share on quite a few flights using JQ metal. Both airlines turn in big profits.

When your own boat is rocking, putting your foot into another boat does help stabilise it. :mellow:

Edited by jadivindra

QF and JQ have a very successful arrangement and they often code-share on quite a few flights using JQ metal. Both airlines turn in big profits.

Partly because transportation between major cities in Australia is still in its dark ages.. So most people have to fly, they have a big pool of customers.

Partly because transportation between major cities in Australia is still in its dark ages.. So most people have to fly, they have a big pool of customers.

FLight time between PERTH and BRISBANE is more than 4 hours. Unheard off for a domestic sector in Malaysia.

FLight time between PERTH and BRISBANE is more than 4 hours. Unheard off for a domestic sector in Malaysia.

Not a non-stop flight, but not too long ago, there was the MH2616 which was a single plane service 734 PEN-BKI, via KUL, KCH, MYY and LBU.

You need to do a PEN-SDK non-stop for a 4 hours domestic flight in Malaysia. In an ATR-72.

You need to do a PEN-SDK non-stop for a 4 hours domestic flight in Malaysia. In an ATR-72.

[/quote: V

Ha ha ha thats cheating captain, using a turbo prop.

ATR crusing speed: 526km/h

737 400 cruisng speed 813km/h

With that 4 hours flight time from KUL will take you to CCU.

Actually the point I am trying to make is that travel distance between major cities in Australia are long and hence people have no choice but to fly.NOt that the land infrastructure is not there.

Compared to malaysia, we would consider driving to Penang from KUL or taking a flight, hence a choice is available.

it should be MH2610 not MH2616 :drinks:

Yes, that's correct. So maybe it was that long ago.

MH2616 still exists today, I believe the afternoon service to BKI.

Even flight between East and West Malaysia seems like flying on a transoceanic route... :rolleyes: what more in a turboprop! I saw on RTM TV1 Maswings chartered school kids from Sabah and Sarawak to Subang Airport for a special visit to MAS maintenance hangar using ATR72! The flight was MYY-SZB.

Even flight between East and West Malaysia seems like flying on a transoceanic route... :rolleyes: what more in a turboprop! I saw on RTM TV1 Maswings chartered school kids from Sabah and Sarawak to Subang Airport for a special visit to MAS maintenance hangar using ATR72! The flight was MYY-SZB.

Many years ago, MH regularly scheduled F27 and later F50 flights KCH - KUL (Subang) vv. It was usually very late at night.

[/quote: V

Ha ha ha thats cheating captain, using a turbo prop.

ATR crusing speed: 526km/h

737 400 cruisng speed 813km/h

With that 4 hours flight time from KUL will take you to CCU.

Actually the point I am trying to make is that travel distance between major cities in Australia are long and hence people have no choice but to fly.NOt that the land infrastructure is not there.

Compared to malaysia, we would consider driving to Penang from KUL or taking a flight, hence a choice is available.

Cities in the eastern states are not ridiculously far from each other.. Could have high speed rail or something like Japan or China, but the gov seems to think it's not viable, so guess we will never see it. If they don't build it when their economy is at their strongest, they will never build it..

Perth is different la, it's isolated at one end... but interestingly people like to use it as an example as if all major cities in Australia are like 4 hours something apart from each other..

And of course, not comparing with Malaysia. This will make people laugh only. Malaysia is good when compare to Nigeria and etc..

Yup. Try driving from BKI to TWU (8 hours) or BKI to SDK (5 hours).

MH2616 still exists today, I believe the afternoon service to BKI.

It's the 2pm flight.

Many years ago, MH regularly scheduled F27 and later F50 flights KCH - KUL (Subang) vv. It was usually very late at night.

Oh yes! I still remember that. I have some copies of MAS timetable in 1989/1990 - back then they were using so many types of equipment between KUL (Subang) and KCH : DC10, A300, B732, B734, F27, F50 and even A310 very briefly. Some flights were routed via SIN. The F27/F50 flights were non-stop and took almost 3 hours.

Those were the days...

I think long time ago they have the F50 serving BKI - SZB on extra flight.