MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Cheng Kit

Why no 77W for MAS?

Singapore Airlines has 19 77Ws, Garuda has ordered 10 of them which is scheduled for 2011 & Thai Airways has 6 orders. MAS is pathetic, didn't order or lease a single one. :angry:

Edited by Cheng Kit

Singapore Airlines has 19 77Ws, Garuda has ordered 10 of them which is scheduled for 2011 & Thai Airways has 6 orders. MAS is pathetic, didn't order or lease a single one. :angry:

Ever since I've been here I've read quite a few good comments, observations and criticisms and it doesn't really matter whether you agree with it or not but the one above is rather poor I thought. Even a little pathetic maybe...

Basically, on high density routes e.g. KUL/LHR, KUL/SYD, MH will be using A380. On most other intercontinental routes, MH can hardly fill up 772. Why pathetic?

:drinks:

How about JNB/EZE route? 777 possibly not enough. MH will probably order A350(-900 or -1000) to exercise their A330 options.

Apparently a new variant of the 777 will come out soon. Read it being dubbed "777-8".

Would prefer if MH go the A350 route though.

How about JNB/EZE route? 777 possibly not enough. MH will probably order A350(-900 or -1000) to exercise their A330 options.

Apparently a new variant of the 777 will come out soon. Read it being dubbed "777-8".

Would prefer if MH go the A350 route though.

If MH has any intention to order A350, MH should have lease A33E instead.

:drinks:

The new A330's are to replace the old A330's.

At this point there has yet to be an order to replace the 777's which sooner or later would have to be replaced.

6 A380's can only do so many long-haul routes, MH would still need new long-range mid-sized equipment.

Edited by jani

The boy next door has got all the big and shiny new toys so I (we) should have a few too... :p

I thought that is the generally acknowledged rationale for buying the A380's in the first place, also reason why the purchase is still being followed up despite all the delays and problems recently ? :p

Indications are that MH management thinks along that line :D

The brand new A33E cannot go to FRA, CDG and FCO because of the limited range. I expect they will employ the ageing 772 until their next orders come along, perhaps A350 or 787-10. Although I am leaning towards 787-10 as their choice to replace 772. Just to get Boeing happy and they will try to avoid having an all-Airbus fleet (long-haul). Not sure if they will exercise the A33E options. It is great if they chose A350-1000/787-10 mixture as both have different missions.

There are many factors on why MAS is not attaining any 77W's.The once that i know are these.The cost and the other is not to commit simply because they had already committed to the A380 ,now the A33E's and the 738W's. Although its a good investment on the aircraft, MAS currently don't need them for their current routes. The reason why to my believe that Thai Airways are taking them is to replace the current A340-500's although the range is different.The replacement could also be for the Current B747-400s for they have no A380 replacements to my knowledge.But I could be wrong.PAL and Garuda are taking them to replace the current B747s too.The difference is between the B747-400s and B777-300er's are by 51 seats based on Wikipedia's 3class configuration. However i wont be surprise that MAS would attain B77W.SIA has them to for replacement of the B747s Low density routes and the A380s to high density routes.For now MAS low density routes will use A330-300 or the B777-200ER and high density routes will have the B747 or soon A380. So i do hope it would explain. Please do correct me if i am wrong if the information i have given is misleading.Till then.........

Kind regards,

Haansel Ananth Boss.

Aircraft purchases are, or should be, based on the airline's operational requirement, not buy-what-others-bought. If the 77W does not complement MH's network plan (current and future), then it's a fair call by MH to not buy it. They come with a massive price tag after all, would you buy something you don't need?

They come with a massive price tag after all, would you buy something you don't need?

MH did !

A380's are on the way

You see 744's, 772's & A330's providing shade from the merciless tropical sun for the concrete parking bays at KLIA :p

Then again, why buy B77W? If just wanted the winglet thingy can wait for the B737NG. Those are coming if you want a sexy wings. :p

Agreed;MH already purchased B737NG,A333 and A332F for MASkargo.Even the A380 ordered several years ago will be delivered only in 2011.

Before purchasing any aircraft,an airline will conduct a feasibility research (i.e. the suitability of the aircraft,operation cost,routes suitable for the aircraft,maintenance etc).

That's just my POV.No offense ya :drinks:

Aircraft purchases are, or should be, based on the airline's operational requirement, not buy-what-others-bought. If the 77W does not complement MH's network plan (current and future), then it's a fair call by MH to not buy it. They come with a massive price tag after all, would you buy something you don't need?

you just hit the nail Tony, right on! i don't see any point of this topic. we can sit and explain all we want, but the we should remember that we're not the decision makers. suffice to say that if they need it they will order it.

MH did !

A380's are on the way

You see 744's, 772's & A330's providing shade from the merciless tropical sun for the concrete parking bays at KLIA :p

Yes I agree on the B744s but on the B772 and A330 sleeping on the ground i will have to disagree.This is because MAS made sure that the aircraft rotation is tight especially for the A330.If one A330 screw's up in maintenance the whole flight timetable is also screwed. 2 days ago MH operated to Denpasar on a B777 from the normal scheduled A330 rotation.To my believe the B777s and A330's are not sleeping on the ground .MH is currently holding 11 B747s and if i m not mistaken 3 or so are on the tarmac due to the recession.Based on the numbers of pax on 6 A380 and and 11 B747 it would bring to a balance. Plus MAS ordered the plane based on the current time which was around the year 2000 to 2001 (correct me if i am wrong) where air travel was at its peek.MAS also planed to scrap the plane orders but had crossed the point of no return. According to some insiders most probably not all 6 will utilized by MH.1 or more would be leased to another carrier.Also as it was told in this forum that the flights where the A380 would fly is London, Sydney and Amsterdam which also i m not mistaken.Based on current situation MH will avoid committing to new aircrafts till its 100% flawless or up to expectation. That is why MH did not lease the A330-300E and commit to the B787s or the A350s.MH saw the investment of utilizing the A330-300E for the next 15 years or so simply because, MH does not need to re train MH pilots,Cabin Crew and Maintenance crew for retraining them costs them money and time which is very valuable to Airline carriers. To my view MH should attain A330-200s for flights to Athens,Madrid,Zurich,Vienna,Newark,Toronto,Huston,Mexico city,San Fransisco, Vancouver,Nagoya, Fukuoka and Cairns . But its more a less like the question of the topic rite? So there are things that we (non airline workers/admin) don't know what works behind the curtains .This is my stop. Till then Correct me if the information i have given is in proper.

Kind regards,

Haansel Ananth Boss

you just hit the nail Tony, right on! i don't see any point of this topic. we can sit and explain all we want, but the we should remember that we're not the decision makers. suffice to say that if they need it they will order it.

Ill second that

Edited by haansel

So there are things that we (non airline workers/admin) don't know what works behind the curtains

Bingo !! :D