MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan F.

KL Virtual Radar

Technically, shouldn't be a problem. Legally, maybe not, unless you can conceal it properly.

yes, technically no big deal, but the scanner itself is a sensitive controlled item in certain countries (like malaysia). being caught with one will invite unnecessary trouble. a radio receiver is also generally not allowed to be operated inside a plane during flight.

any way, your scanner is not short wave enabled when enroute from KCH to SIN above South China Sea isn't it?

Yup... I used it up to about FL100 then turned it off until I was halfway thru descent then I turned it back on again.

Anyone realised that tracking of (some?) flights into WSSS can now be done on flightradar24.com? :good:

Seems to pick up flights on approach into 02R/02C better than those departing. Makes me think that the antenna is in Batam, rather than in Singapore itself, or Johor.

Anyone realised that tracking of (some?) flights into WSSS can now be done on flightradar24.com? :good:

Seems to pick up flights on approach into 02R/02C better than those departing. Makes me think that the antenna is in Batam, rather than in Singapore itself, or Johor.

At last, someone in Singapore got their hands on a Mode-S receiver and is happy to feed into the FlightRadar24 network! Reception could be masked by buildings/trees etc - depends on where the receiver/antenna is based. The KL receiver is certainly not getting the best reception as its on a lower floor of a condo unit and the antenna is 'blocked' to the north east reception area. With a good clear view of the skies, 250nm reception on a mode-s receiver (Kinetics SBS-1 or AirNav RadarBox) is feasible.

I noticed from FR24 that a couple of flights around 4.30-5.00pm yesterday landing at PEN using RWY22. This didn't last long, however, and many of the aircraft that landed this way were taking off normally (?) using RWY04 within the following hour.

I remember reading somewhere that RWY22 doesn't have ILS, so I'm wondering if someone could shed some light on what might cause traffic to be directed in this way, especially seeing that it was so temporary. Would anyone also know how frequently this might happen?

Many thanks in advance. ^_^

Was on the radio during Chinese new year. A Cathay requested for VOR rw 22 but was denied by atc and asked to go ILS 04.

So it's depend on the flight crew . The Cathay requested maybe because it's nearer to land from that direction.

RWY 22 does not have ILS. VOR approach is used for that runway.

Its normal for RWY 22 to be used for arrivals especially towards the latter part of the day.

There is a VOR approach for RWY 22 , and there is no problem shooting an approach into an airport without an ILS especially in good weather.

Watching Flightradar24 when suddenly found this,Is the flight returning to Singapore?Maybe I am Wrong

Untitled-4.png

• SIA318 seen @ 2012-04-26 12:06 CET on route from SIN to LHR
  • SIA333 seen @ 2012-04-26 07:11 CET on route from CDG to SIN
  • SIA334 seen @ 2012-04-25 07:03 CET on route from SIN to CDG

Noticed that the coverage is much better now. I think there maybe 2 radars at WMKP becuase its started picking up flights on the Thai border and WSSS seems to have much better coverage. Perhaps someboy can convince KLIA to install a tracker similar to other airports

any chance to listening ATC for for KL?...meanwhile if you wish, you can listen LTBA area with ATC (cycles tower-approach-center in every 20seconds) ---> www.iststatus.com

Thanks Zamir :D Like!~ :)

No problem :D

Saw this strange flight number XAX9810 any info about this plane ?And Also FDX5148 MD11 just takeoff from penang :)

Untitled-6.png

Edited by Zamir

No problem :D

Saw this strange flight number XAX9810 any info about this plane ?And Also FDX5148 MD11 just takeoff from penang :)

FDX should be Fed-Ex plane

Look like the radar is quite active in Peninsular Malaysia (Langkawi, Penang, Kota Bharu, Kuantan, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore).

If flight spot can be detected in East Malaysia then that is great!!!

Data from planes fed to flightradar24.com to present above graphics come from ADS-B receivers installed by ppl like us. No radars involved. If ADS-B receivers have well-placed sensitive antennae, then can receive data from faraway planes.

Look like the radar is quite active in Peninsular Malaysia (Langkawi, Penang, Kota Bharu, Kuantan, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore).

If flight spot can be detected in East Malaysia then that is great!!!

Those who live in high rise blocks can get the ADS-B receivers an joint flightradar24.com by clicking on the "Increase Coverage" button. :)

Edited by flee

I wonder how many members here have them :)

We need one near KLIA or PD to help track the movments closer to the airport