MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan F.

KL Virtual Radar

AirAsia has only themselves to blame. If they can nominate Melaka as alternate, they would. In normal situation fuel would be enough, but when it comes to situation like this, they are the first to divert and they come in droves.

"

PETALING JAYA: Some 17 flights were diverted from the KL International Airport following exceptionally strong winds on Sunday.

Some aircraft even had to make their landings at other runways at the KLIA due to the unusually strong winds on Sunday night.

The increased workload – to manage the landing planes – caused pilots of other aircraft still in the air to seek permission from KLIA to land at other airports due to low fuel.

The situation snowballed when an accident occurred at the Kesas highway, leading to a massive jam and so, taxis were late in getting to the airport.

Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said in a statement that 7.5% of the flights that day were diverted to other airports in Subang, Penang and Senai, Johor."

The Star's quality of writing is really poor.

You may be forgiven for thinking a plane had crashed on the Kesas highway...

And more flights were then diverted as "taxis were late in getting to the airport."

The Star's quality of writing is really poor.

You may be forgiven for thinking a plane had crashed on the Kesas highway...

And more flights were then diverted as "taxis were late in getting to the airport."

Much like BI-composition BM-karangan sessions back in school days

200 word essay assignment and one is at loss for the last few words and friends already outside the house calling ...... :D

Flight diversion not due to fuel shortage

PETALING JAYA (Aug 29, 2013): The diversion of four AirAsia flights to the Sultan Abdul Aziz airport in Subang on Sunday was not caused by a shortage of fuel, but was due to extreme weather conditions.

theSun ran an article today addressing suspicions of passengers that their flights were diverted due to fuel shortage, but Air Asia has rebutted those claims, saying that it was due to complicated air traffic control problems which arose from unforeseen weather conditions.

"Numerous flights that were to land (at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal) that afternoon, including AirAsia flights, were diverted to Subang International Airport, Penang International Airport and Senai International Airport due to unexpected change in weather which resulted in severe air traffic congestion," AirAsia communications head Aziz Laikar said.

"This affected all airlines arriving and departing Kuala Lumpur International Airport. According to Malaysia Airports Berhad, up to 17 flights were diverted," he added.

He stressed that all the affected AirAsia flights were fully prepared with the minimum 30 minutes flight time capacity of additional fuel.

As for reports from passengers that their pilots had announced a fuel shortage, Aziz explained that the fuel shortage was caused by the holding position the flights had to adhere to for an extended period.

"After receiving orders to divert the flight, the pilots had to circle Sultan Abdul Aziz airport for a long period of time due to air traffic congestion, which took up a lot of fuel," he said.

The pilots then decided to refuel at the airport after landing, although they still had reserve fuel.

Aziz also clarified that only four flights were diverted to Sultan Abdul Aziz airport, instead of five as previously reported.

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/816485

Two AirAsia passengers arrested

PETALING JAYA (Aug 27, 2013): Two Malaysians were arrested on Sunday when they tried to open the emergency exit door of an AirAsia aircraft that had been parked for three hours at the Sultan Abdul Aziz airport in Subang on being diverted from the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Sepang due to strong winds.

They were taken off the aeroplane at about 6pm by airport security officials alerted by the pilot and handed over to a police team that detained them.

According to passengers on the plane, the drama unfolded at about 3.30pm as the plane began to descend at Subang (the pilot had been told to circle as he had no clearance to land).

He informed passengers that he did not have enough fuel to remain in the air and would have to land at Subang to re-fuel.

On landing, passengers were told that the aircraft would take off as soon as refueling was done.

Passengers noticed that with several other planes also waiting to refuel, the delay on the ground became longer than expected and this is when several passengers became agitated.

Two passengers then demanded to be allowed to disembark at Subang but were denied permission as the plane had to take off and land at LCCT, which was its final destination.

Passenger S. Raja, 70, said the two became unruly and tried to open the emergency exit door despite appeals by the pilot over the public address system for them to calm down and obey instructions from the stewardesses.

"The two loudly told the stewardesses to let them out. They were a real nuisance," the businessman said, adding that they refused to listen to reason.

Another passenger V. Venugopal, 68, said sitting in a plane for three hours may have led the two to become upset resulting in them asking to disembark.

"We were all irritated by the long wait in the aeroplane, especially with a child crying loudly. The time we spent in the parked plane was almost the same time that it took us to fly from Chennai to Kuala Lumpur. But whatever it may be, they should have not tried to break the law by trying to open the door."

He praised the stewardesses for behaving in a calm and professional manner despite the challenges posed by the unruly passengers.

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/808343

Claustrophobia?

Not likely to stand up much in a court of law :)

I'm guessing it's more like a case of being bored out of their brains (if any was available to start with) and the scene was ripe for a bit of dramatic intervention :D

I was once cooped up inside an A320 at MFM - the plane arrived in a thunderstorm (I think v should have diverted as final approach was very rough) and the ground crew did not attend to the aircraft in the electrical storm. It was not much fun - we just had to sit and wait. We were inside the plane on the ground for a little over an hour. I cannot imagine what it is like to be in a plane for 3 hours... ;)

I was once cooped up inside an A320 at MFM - .....

..... We were inside the plane on the ground for a little over an hour

We were once cooped up inside an A320 at Wenzhou (WNZ) for 5 hours plus in the dead of night and chill of winter of late December due to fog at HGH

Everybody maintained civility, and I suppose were resigned to whatever fate that mama nature throws upon us, particularly at something like 5am in the morning

Which seemed a brilliantly wise option in retrospect, when we sighted armed minders guarding our grounded CZ bird when daylight broke through eventually :D

Bad weather now, planes all over the place.

MH136 ADL-KUL.

1237109_716587418357961_1883750292_n.jpg

Edited by Naim

Yup I know Im at LCCT waiting for my flight to SIN.

Strange was that when I arrivedthe waether was very bad and the planes were landing. It seemed to clear and then all traffic was on hold. Any diversions to SZB?

Edited by Robert

I was coming in on MH 67 from ICN earlier today. After take-off, we were estimated to arrive around 16:10 (our schedule arrival time was 16:30). About an hour out, we were told that we would be landing around 16:40 (and we landed around 16:45-ish) due to ATC congestion. All I know is we were holding north-east of KL and kept doing turns for a good 30-40 minutes before we made our way to KUL.

Weather doesn't seems to be that bad at KUL - ground was a little wet, saw a few storm cells on the way, but pretty usual late afternoon thunderstorms in KL area - nothing extra-ordinary. I can't imagine the delays due to severe thunderstorms at KUL!

PS: Does anyone know if landing priority are given to long-haul flights or to short-haul hops at KUL? In the US, priority is given to long-haul flights - if there are any weather related problems, props and short flights are the first to get hit.

Edited by Craig

Don't think that there is any priority here at KUL. I saw both the MH A380 flights from LHR and HKG in holding pattern too. Earlier, the A333's of MH (from PVG) and D7 (from MEL) were also travelling in circles for quite a while....

No priority is given in KUL based on size or range. However short haul aircraft might be held on ground until the congestion clears. Emergency cases will be given priority as usual.

1262899_10201153514393892_1726676950_o.j

Yesterday's congestion was caused by a big TS over KUL.

Surely no priority would be given to any aircraft unless running on low fuel or some passengers got terribly sick and require immediate medication attention.

If normal landing is on 14L maybe they can also shift some to 14R?

At KUL now and it seems like CX 693 bound for Pwnang was diverted to KUL and about to take off for Penang. About 4 hours behind schedule.

9679697314_eb73339df3_b.jpg

Very cool feature from FR24 after you click on the blue icon of airport.

Still some bugs to sort out, as you can see MAS is temporary renamed to MASWings. Can only get better!