MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan F.

KL Virtual Radar

Could be endorsement flight for new pilots.. I had a friend who did his with AK at 5AM

Endorsement flight means lots of takeoff and landings. If it is a constant 1800 ft altitude it can't be endorsement flight.

On the other hand, test flights are usually conducted at higher altitude and at the training area over the sea, west of the coastline.

Weather is quite bad around BKI.

Anybody want to monitor for missed approaches and diversions?

Weather is quite bad around BKI.

Anybody want to monitor for missed approaches and diversions?

too bad I was working. Indeed been windy and raining heavily for the past few days. Tail wind from Philippines I gather, this time reaching the Land Below The Wind!

FR24 on my iphone used to display actual photos of the planes. Now the updated version only shows a generic picture. Anybody experiencing the same or is it my phone?

FR24 on my iphone used to display actual photos of the planes. Now the updated version only shows a generic picture. Anybody experiencing the same or is it my phone?

Khairul, not sure what phone you have but have you tapped on the '+' sign on the menu bar at the bottom of the page? That brings up details, including a photo if there is one, on my android.

Happened to log onto FR24 at around 14:50hrs and was surprised to see just how many aircraft were being put on hold.

Anyone have an inkling what's going on?

I'm not sure if this is the case today but was told that 32L glideslope wasn't functioning.

AirAsia even had an announcement about ATC delays last Friday.

Seems some diverted to PEN today:

PH-BVI B777-306ER KLM KL809 AMS-KUL

9M-MRN B777-2H6ER Malaysia Airlines MH163DXB-KUL

9M-MTG A330-323X Malaysia Airlines MH387 PVG-KUL

9M-AQP A320-216 AirAsia AK1915 CNX-KUL

9M-MLN B737-8H6 Malaysia Airlines MH716 CGK-KUL

Seems some diverted to PEN today:

PH-BVI B777-306ER KLM KL809 AMS-KUL

9M-MRN B777-2H6ER Malaysia Airlines MH163DXB-KUL

9M-MTG A330-323X Malaysia Airlines MH387 PVG-KUL

9M-AQP A320-216 AirAsia AK1915 CNX-KUL

9M-MLN B737-8H6 Malaysia Airlines MH716 CGK-KUL

And if I remember correctly, 4 AK, 1 MH and 1 D7 diverted to Subang. Another AK diverted to JHB.

Runway change from 32 to 14.

Runway change is usually chaotic in KUL, but heard that today it was extra chaotic with many flights delayed or even diverted.

Saw AK1591 on finals to KUL from SZB. Is this an empty flight or must passengers still remain with the plane at SZB? Would've been of very very short flight eh. lol

Saw AK1591 on finals to KUL from SZB. Is this an empty flight or must passengers still remain with the plane at SZB? Would've been of very very short flight eh. lol

Diversion to SZB should be due to aircraft running low on fuel. So it would just refuel and wait for clearance to land in KUL. SZB to KUL should normally take about 8-10 mins...

The usual evening congestion.

The key points: DAKUS (from the north, Tanjung Malim), PIBOS (Temerloh / 14), ISTAN (Pahang-NS border / 32) and ENKOL (Durian Tunggal, from South). Can see holdings there almost every day.

Edited by Radzi

From AK FB -

[Notification] #AirAsia would like to inform our guests that numerous flights have been diverted to Subang International Airport, Penang International Airport and Senai international airport (Johor Bahru) due to unexpected change in weather at the LCC Terminal, resulting in severe air traffic congestion and flight diversions, which are affecting all airlines.

The flights that are affected are:
AK1059,AK5227,AK1254, AK1591 were diverted to Subang
AK1325,AK1409,AK1657, AK6043 were diverted to Johor Bahru
and AK6115, AK1915 diverted to Penang.

Delays to this evening's flights are also expected due to this air traffic congestion and AirAsia would like to advise our guests to check their flight statuses atwww.airasia.com before travelling to the airport.

Guests can also follow AirAsia on Twitter (twitter.com/airasia) for real time updates on the situation.

Was at KUL earlier on MH613 to SIN. at the last minute the gate changed and then the flight was delayed, Looked at the board to see a lot of issues with flights and was told my the lounge staff that it was due to a tower issue. The weather must have been bad to cause the diversions.

Edited by Robert

I'm curious about the runway change process because it's pretty normal at some airports. I can understand some delay but surely the flights are just held for a few minutes at the various stacks whist the approach space is cleared and then the new vectors are given?

LHR changes runways several times a day without drama?

Edited by Robert

I'm curious about the runway change process because it's pretty normal at some airports. I can understand some delay but surely the flights are just held for a few minutes at the various stacks whist the approach space is cleared and then the new vectors are given?

LHR changes runways several times a day without drama?

There is a word called Excuse

Arrived into KUL around 1800 yesterday. Runway changed into 14. Which is normal considering strong tailwinds for 32 approach. The problem is we arrived at VPK (Pekan) so cleared for PIBOS transition. Big build ups over there, aircraft requesting left and right. Was made to hold before recleared to hold at PULIP. At that time they have 2 aircraft holding there and we were instructed to leave PULIP at 1751. Left PULIP and followed on STAR for 14L. Once we are landed Malaysia Airlines behind us reported G/S unserviceable. Tower cleared them for visual approach.

Pretty normal for AK to divert compared to other airlines due to minimum fuel carried.

I was on D7 519 PUS-KUL XXE, landed 20min early at 3.30pm today @14L, even with a short hold.

Strong winds divert flights

PETALING JAYA: Some 17 flights were diverted from the KL International Airport following exceptionally strong winds on Sunday.

Some aircraft even had to make their landings at other runways at the KLIA due to the unusually strong winds on Sunday night.

The increased workload – to manage the landing planes – caused pilots of other aircraft still in the air to seek permission from KLIA to land at other airports due to low fuel.

The situation snowballed when an accident occurred at the Kesas highway, leading to a massive jam and so, taxis were late in getting to the airport.

Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said in a statement that 7.5% of the flights that day were diverted to other airports in Subang, Penang and Senai, Johor.

He said the change in wind direction, between 17 and 25 knots, required such a move.

“Winds blowing at 17 knots meant that its speed was about 31.5km an hour.”

Azharuddin said aircraft with low “holding fuel” were diverted to alternate airports for re-fueling.

“To reduce congestion and avoid unnecessary fuel burn, flights leaving and arriving at KLIA from nearby airports were asked to delay their departures during that period,” he added.

A DCA official said it was a norm for planes to be directed to other runways during strong winds, which occurred once or twice a month.

AirAsia had said in its Facebook page that numerous flights due to land at the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal in Sepang were also diverted “due to unexpected change in weather, resulting in severe air traffic congestion”.

The situation returned to normal yesterday with the KLIA flight information board listing only a few delayed or cancelled flights.

Penang International Airport senior manager Mohd Ariff Jaafar said five flights were diverted to Penang from about 4pm to 9pm on Sunday.

“Since KLIA and the LCCT share the same runway, the situation affected both airports,” he said.

AirAsia X chairman Tan Sri Rafidah Aziz said airport authorities would put passengers’ safety first.

“A delay is better than not arriving at all,” she added.

“Since KLIA and the LCCT share the same runway, the situation affected both airports,”

Pardon my ignorance, but since when is LCCT classified as a separate airport?? You mean LCCT is not in KLIA?

“Since KLIA and the LCCT share the same runway, the situation affected both airports,”

Pardon my ignorance, but since when is LCCT classified as a separate airport?? You mean LCCT is not in KLIA?

The fact that that came from Penang Airport 'senior' manager is quite disappointing.

Seems like people can't make the distinction between 'airport' and 'terminal', only in Malaysia I suppose. Fact that's evident in the naming of the new budget terminal as 'KLIA2'.