MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan F.

KL Virtual Radar

where can 1 buy an ADS-B receiver in Malaysia? I can find it in ebay but they are all international sellers.. o.o~

it's not a legal item here in malaysia, just like the atc scanner, but what the heck ... google for it, and hope the customs ignore it. :)

Edited by Naim

Or find somebody going to UK/OZ and ask them to pick up one

In SYD where to get one?

I can only find this one but its not in SYD http://www.aircraftt...vionics.com.au/

Yeah, I know this site - SBS-3 too pricey. The earlier version SBS-1 was cheaper. Maybe mail-order USB one, only 80Euro -- getting 1000Mhz high-gain antenna no issue, can source here. :)

Is it possible to get in SIN like the scanner?

The ADS-B receiver decodes signals received from the planes directly. There're no radars involved.

===

How Does It Work?

Far different from radar, which works by bouncing radio waves from fixed terrestrial antennas off of airborne targets and then interpreting the reflected signals, ADS-B uses conventional Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) technology and a relatively simple broadcast communications link as its fundamental components. Also, unlike radar, ADS-B accuracy does not seriously degrade with range, atmospheric conditions, or target altitude and update intervals do not depend on the rotational speed or reliability of mechanical antennas.

In a typical applications, the ADS-B capable aircraft uses an ordinary GNSS (GPS, Galileo, etc) receiver to derive its precise position from the GNSS constellation, then combines that position with any number of aircraft discretes, such as speed, heading, altitude and flight number. This information is then simultaneously broadcast to other ADS-B capable aircraft and to ADS-B ground, or satellite communications transceivers which then relay the aircraft's position and additional information to Air Traffic Control centers in real time.

Fgallery2-1.jpg

http://www.ads-b.com/

Edited by Naim

If we put up a device somewhere can the authorities spot the location?

If we put up a device somewhere can the authorities spot the location?

Undetectable. It's a passive receiver.

Btw some receivers are just small USB dongles, but need proper external antennae for decent reception.

Do you have several crates of spare receivers to scatter around :pardon:

I spilled my coffee after reading this. :p

Anyway, I thought it's about the size of a modem and gave out some form of signal that may expose your position. Sorry too much sci-fi movies lately.

Anyway, I thought it's about the size of a modem and gave out some form of signal that may expose your position. Sorry too much sci-fi movies lately.

They'd probably come after you if you have this humongous ugly antenna outside your house that ppl complain about, or maybe your rig messes up somebody's tv or cellphone or ATC ... otherwise they couldn't care less. :)

If antenna is high-gain at right position, the ADS-B receiver can see 350km or more. Imagine how many planes could be seen!

WQJmz.png

guys.. i just noticed something.. if you go zoom to Dubai's airport.. you can even see flighradar registering planes that are on the ground! is that possible? the radar can even detect on the ground planes? they are literally detecting these planes which are parked at the terminal! o.o amazing~

That' right. They now have the ground radar at selected airport. Can turned it off in the setting. It was mentioned in the FB :)

guys.. i just noticed something.. if you go zoom to Dubai's airport.. you can even see flighradar registering planes that are on the ground! is that possible? the radar can even detect on the ground planes? they are literally detecting these planes which are parked at the terminal! o.o amazing~

Sure, somebody with an ADS-B receiver is stalking the airfield. Get someone with ADS-B at Anjung Tinjau KLIA, say, then we might get the same thing.