17 Tokyo Narita

18 Brisbane

19 Cape Town

20 San Francisco

Question: Where's Dubai?

Guest Rahim Rani

Question: Where's Dubai?

Answer: :rofl:

Dubai (Arabic: دبيّ‎; pronounced / doo-BEYE) is one of the seven emirates of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). It is located south of the Persian Gulf on the Arabian Peninsula. The Dubai Municipality is sometimes called Dubai state to distinguish it from the emirate. Written accounts document the existence of the city for at least 150 years prior to the formation of the UAE.

Dubai shares legal, political, military, and economic functions with the other emirates within a federal framework, although each emirate has jurisdiction over some functions such as civic law enforcement and provision and upkeep of local facilities. Dubai has the largest population and is the second-largest emirate by area, after Abu Dhabi. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the only two emirates to possess veto power over critical matters of national importance in the country's legislature. Dubai has been ruled by the Al Maktoum dynasty since 1833. Its current ruler, Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, is also the Prime Minister and Vice-President of the UAE.

The emirate's main revenues are from tourism, property, and financial services. Although Dubai's economy was originally built on the oil industry, revenues from petroleum and natural gas currently contribute less than 6% (2006) of the emirate's US$ 80 billion economy (2009). Property and construction contributed 22.6% to the economy in 2005, before the current large-scale construction boom.

Dubai has attracted world attention through many innovative large construction projects and sports events. This increased attention, coinciding with its emergence as a global city and business hub, has highlighted labour and human rights issues concerning its largely South Asian workforce.

Source: Wikipedia.org

:rofl:

how can Dubai be out of this list??? :blink:

Yup thats what I am wondering,how could skytrax leave out DXB. Its way ahead of KLIA and most of the airports there besides changi.

dubai is crap... i hate flying emirates because of the dubai stopover. it looks posh but the mentality is still third world!

Maybe because it's too overdone with everything at DXB...moreover, I agree with Izanee: most staff (not only EK's) should have some more PR training - the ones I met are arrogant and not helpful at all !!! :angry:

I have to agree with Izanee and Pieter C about Dubai.

From far, everything looks great - just like a mirage. And when you get near, it is a case of nice from far, and far from nice.

The shopping's only great if you are a parched face looking for SK II to rejuvenate dead cells, but if you are shopping for anything else, it is boring. And prices are no longer attractive. There is little to do besides shopping through sparsely-stocked shelves - especially if you are looking for a well-produced local souvenir. The walk from the check-in hall via the underground tunnel to the terminal where the planes are parked is tedious - some travellators were not operational. And the only experience I took away from using this terminal is the shabby service dished out by the staff of Emirates' ground handling subsidiary DNATA. There was none of the Middle-eastern hospitality - not that I was expecting falcons to swoop down from lofty heights and magic carpets flying overheads as Ali Baba and his forty "friends" count their loot.

Kuala Lumpur International Airport is a million times more pleasant to use than Dubai - and so justifies its fifth position ahead of Dubai (which is rightfully nowhere on this list).

Heathrow is a hub of few equals but in terms of the traveller's experience, it stinks. Lost baggage, hefty taxes, high handed staff, long distances from kerb side to gate (and vice versa) ... all these add to the woes of travellers. Travelling through Heathrow to Toulouse in 2007 was at its very best an experience I would rather trade for something along the lines of Copenhagen Kastrup or Amsterdam Schiphol or Munich.

Then again, all surveys are extremely subjective and one should be mindful about taking the ranking too seriously. Changi Airport is making a big deal about this award simply because it was on the receiving end of a lot of criticisms in the last year. And while not much has changed - a lot of key frontline services remain outsourced and service standards has fallen drastically - it is generally able to give most visitors a fairly positive experience. For me personally, the greatest praise goes to the green space - butterfly garden, cactus garden, orchid garden, sunflower garden, the koi pond in T2 (but the green wall at T3 is in my opinion a letdown from the glowing description contained in the press release at the time of its commissioning).

One airport not in this ranking - but hopefully will as more international flights head that way - is Haneda Airport. I love every single minute there - spotting, eating, shopping.

KC Sim

why we must criticize our beloved KUL? it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better actually. true, it is behind SIN, but at least we are there! well, to be honest, we have never been grateful for what we have, assuming most of you are Malaysian (Penang is in Malaysia rite?), we must be proud of our country. Yeah, craps happened here and there, it's normal!

...there is a malay pantun....

APA DILIHAT PADI SEBERANG

ENTAH MENJADI ENTAHKAN TIDAK

APA DILIHAT KASIHNYA ORANG

ENTAH KASIH ENTAKHAN TIDAK...

try to look at the first 2 lines, it is so meaningful!

Edited by affendi osman

Goood that we are at the 5th spot, but what was wondering when the new LCCT terminal is completed, will it be seen as part KLIA as well? :blink:

why we must criticize our beloved KUL? it is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar better actually. true, it is behind SIN, but at least we are there! well, to be honest, we have never been grateful for what we have, assuming most of you are Malaysian (Penang is in Malaysia rite?), we must be proud of our country. Yeah, craps happened here and there, it's normal!

KUL is not the best and can be better.

Contented is not an excuse not to improve, and too proud will lead to ignorance and arrogance.

In this competitive world, nothing is standstill for long. To excel is to compete and to improve continuously.

:drinks:

dubai is crap... i hate flying emirates because of the dubai stopover. it looks posh but the mentality is still third world!

Agree !

london heathrow cant even beat KLIA? i was surprised.

LHR is crap too.

DXB is one of the airports in my 'avoid' list! Transits are horrible. Everytime I fly EK, if the transit time is >3 hours, I'll opt for a night stopover at a city hotel. All this just to avoid the terminal transit process. Not surprised that LHR isn't listed too.

KUL totally deserves it's high ranking. It's one of the best in the world. I'm sure this list had not taken LCCT into account otherwise it wouldn't have been listed too. Btw, in my personal opinion, I'd rate AMS a little higher than KUL.

Sign in to follow this