MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Andrew K

Plane catches fire just before landing in Penang

I have to confess, my initial reaction was "land the plane first lah, since already so near; there on the ground, the engine can vibrate and/or burn all it wants, the pax and crew can get on with life what" :)

Self confessed ignoramus here :D

For the last few years MH pilots have been trained to be "Go Around" minded rather than "I have to land" minded. Even the standard callout at approach minima has been changed from "Landing" to "Continue" to further strengthen this. It is quite common to see that many of the accidents or incidents that happened during approach could've been avoided if only the crew had decided to Go around rather than land at all cost. So all in all I thought the Captain's decision was absolutely correct.

For the last few years MH pilots have been trained to be "Go Around" minded rather than "I have to land" minded. Even the standard callout at approach minima has been changed from "Landing" to "Continue" to further strengthen this. It is quite common to see that many of the accidents or incidents that happened during approach could've been avoided if only the crew had decided to Go around rather than land at all cost. So all in all I thought the Captain's decision was absolutely correct.

I think that it makes sense to go around for two reasons:

1 The crew has more time to prepare for the emergency landing. Its not just the pilots who are involved. The cabin crew need to prepare the passengers too.

2 With more time in the air, the plane can be properly oriented for a single engine landing from the beginning.

With hindsight, I think that the captain of this flight did well! :clapping:

Agree. Rather go-around and reassess the situation than to push-on. As flee said, the cabin will need to be prepared emergency evacuation if required - more of an expectation than procedural thing.