MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
M. Sofian H.

KLIA Aerotrain Breakdown

Ok. Having done the terminal transfers several times now, here's my verdict:

The buses run very smoothly and I've never had to wait for a bus. Everytime I've arrived into the bus lounge, there's always been a bus waiting. I admit that the bus is much more unglamorous compared to the aerotrain but it's actually been faster! The signs are clearly marked and there are staff available/present to guide passngers. Overall, a job well done!

I passed thru KLIA a few times last month and somehow always managed to have a gate at the MTB, so I have not experienced the bus service.

However, I must say that there is a lot of information about it. Eg., SQ's website, SQ check-in counter in SIN (although I was checking into a flight for another destination), MH check- in counter, during the flight. At the aerotrain area there were also plenty of signs.

But why oh why do they have to mention that the bus service is FREE ??? Why would anyone make passengers pay for it at all? They make it sound as if we have to be grateful that we don't have to pay for it.

But why oh why do they have to mention that the bus service is FREE ???   Why would anyone make passengers pay for it at all? They make it sound as if we have to be grateful that we don't have to pay for it.

Maybe some would automatically produce their Touch 'n Go or reach for their spare change the moment they see RapidKL livery on the bus...

But why oh why do they have to mention that the bus service is FREE ??? Why would anyone make passengers pay for it at all? They make it sound as if we have to be grateful that we don't have to pay for it.

I think that's a very good idea to tell people that's it's free. It helps to reduce people's anxieties about things like that. Some airports charge for inter-terminal transfers. Sydney, for example, charges to get from te international terminal to the domestic ones. It is absolutely outrageous! Most foreign passngers don't know about this and get caught out, especially when they don't have small change (cash) to pay for it (the buses don't accept credit cards).

'FREE' - not ideal choice of word I suppose, certainly not wrong :)

Perhaps the term 'complimentary service' would be more eloquent :)

'FREE' - not ideal choice of word I suppose, certainly not wrong :)

Perhaps the term 'complimentary service' would be more eloquent :)

Completely agree that using the term "complimentary" is much more eloquent but most Malaysians understand the word "free" immediately! LOL

Free, Complimentary... they should not mention anything at all in my opinion.

This is not inter- terminal transfer. This is a transfer between two buildings within the same terminal! Once you check-in and enter the departure areas, how can they make anyone pay just for them to get you to the plane? Or when you arrive, do you know any other airport around the world that charges you a separate fee so that you can get to the immigration, baggage hall and exit?

Countdown to the reopening of KLIA's aerotrain service in 13 days...! As per the initial schedule, on 15 March 2011, everything should be back to normal.

Countdown to the reopening of KLIA's aerotrain service in 13 days...! As per the initial schedule, on 15 March 2011, everything should be back to normal.

Normal but new and improved I suppose?

The aerotrain will be delayed by a week from the earlier scheduled recommencement date of 16 March 2011.

Aerotrains at KLIA to resume ops on Mar 23

Published: 2010/03/14

http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_New...cle/index_html

The Aerotrains connecting the main terminal and satellite buildings at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) will be fully operational on March 23.

The construction of the new spurline connecting the Operation Maintenance and Services Facility (OMSF), the crossover switch between the existing tracks and the delivery of the new three-car Aerotrains, will be completed as scheduled on March 15.

Malaysia Airports said in a statement today that the Aerotrains are currently operating on a dry run basis.

As an additional precautionary measure before the Aerotrains are made available for public use, Malaysia Airports has decided to extend the dry runs until March 22, to ensure and enhance the safety of operations.

It said the Aerotrains could be made available earlier to the public prior to March 23, should the dry runs prove to be satisfactory. - Bernama

Any news about the aerotrain? Today supposed to be the rescheduled date of the recommencement of the service after a week of delay from the original date - 16 March 2011.

Or delay again?

Hope you'll find the answer here.

Please be informed that the Aerotrains connecting the main terminal building and the satellite building at KLIA will be fully operational for passenger use on 23 March. The construction of the new spurline connecting the Operation Maintenance and Services Facility (OMSF), the crossover switch between the existing tracks and the delivery of the new 3- car Aerotrain will be completed as scheduled on 15 March. The Aerotrains are currently running on a dry run basis.

As an additional precautionary measure before the Aerotrains are made available for public use, Malaysia Airports has decided to extend the dry runs until 22 March to ensure and enhance the safety of operations. The Aerotrains could be made available earlier to the public prior to 23 March, should the dry runs prove to be satisfactory. The public will be advised by Malaysia Airports accordingly.

Meanwhile the Shuttle busses will continue to run and will be in operations as a backup to the Aerotrains system until end of March.

The temporary closure of the Aerotrains was necessary to facilitate a major project that involves the construction of the Operation, Maintenance and Storage Facility (OMSF), the spurline connecting to the OMSF, the crossover switches between the existing tracks, and the delivery of the new train. Malaysia Airports would like to highlight that the temporary closure of the Aerotrains is part of the overall project that is ahead of schedule by two months, and due for full project contractual completion in July instead of September, 2011.

.....prior to 23 March, should the dry runs prove to be satisfactory.

Now that should could mean anything...as insurance in case further delay occurs.

Any news about the aerotrain? Today supposed to be the rescheduled date of the recommencement of the service after a week of delay from the original date - 16 March 2011.

Or delay again?

I believe they are already back to service. Personally saw the trains do so many runs from the MTB to the Satelite terminal today.

Is it official? Back in service?

The Aerotrain is back on service.Miss the bus service :(

The Aerotrain is back on service.Miss the bus service :(

Yup, KLIA Aerotrain now on service. I just used it yesterday to/from Gate C for KUL-SIN-KUL trip and looks like some refreshment on interior. Here some pictures our new KLIA Aerotrain.

IMG_1214.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Edited by Ikman Ikreza