MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
M. Sofian H.

KLIA Aerotrain Breakdown

I think that our typical poor maintenance has killed the aerotrains. It is probably better to get new ones. Bombardier trains seem to be easier to maintain.

The Putra Line LRT trains are still running while the Star Ampang line trains have gone to the demolition yards. So maybe MAHB should look at Bombardier trains to replace the current aerotrains.

Edited by flee

I think that our typical poor maintenance has killed the aerotrains. It is probably better to get new ones. Bombardier trains seem to be easier to maintain.

The Putra Line LRT trains are still running while the Star Ampang line trains have gone to the demolition yards. So maybe MAHB should look at Bombardier trains to replace the current aerotrains.

The Aerotrain is not really a train in its true sense. It's got rubber wheels and the track guides its direction. The fact that there's less moving parts i.e no rails shows MAHB's attitude to maintenance of the trains. Haven't they got a spare train?

The Aerotrain is not really a train in its true sense. It's got rubber wheels and the track guides its direction. The fact that there's less moving parts i.e no rails shows MAHB's attitude to maintenance of the trains. Haven't they got a spare train?

Yes, I am aware of that - however, items like motors, control systems, etc. are similar. That is why manufacturers of these aerotrains are usually the same companies that manufacture commuter trains and MRT systems.

I think many people here have the same perception of MAHB's maintenance culture - non-existent! What a great shame. :(

I was at the KLIA today to catch my flight. Only one Aerotrain was working. They had buses to ferry people from main terminal to the satellite terminal.

I don't understand, doesn't it goes into single train mode every middle of the night for maintenance? isn't it what the maintenance depot is for? or is it NOT a maintenance depot?

I don't understand, doesn't it goes into single train mode every middle of the night for maintenance? isn't it what the maintenance depot is for? or is it NOT a maintenance depot?

I was there at peak period at 4pm yesterday

That thing is old. Its about 20yrs old. There is only so much maintenance that could be done.

Getting on board is like getting onboard a boat, for instance.

It needs replacement. MAHB management is pretending to be blind to the core issue and have only spoken publicly about various band-aid solutions.

Maybe they are not pretending ...

After the breakdown last year I think they made some preventive maintenance.

Now they've installed rails separating left and right aerotrains at both terminals.

MAHB is by far the worst-run GLC at present. MAS and Proton were strong contenders but both are now taking bitter medicine.

They have no freaking clue on how to run a big international airport. Fullstop.

Khazanah, MOT......MAHB needs a complete overhaul.

After the breakdown last year I think they made some preventive maintenance.

Now they've installed rails separating left and right aerotrains at both terminals.

not to mention security staff to open and close each side.

If only immigration could be as efficient and have extra staff lol lol lol

Where does one board/disembark the transit busses at MTB - is it directly underneath the part where the trains emerge from the building ?

Now that we have this latest episode, I recall seeing a fleet of busses and vans being busy around that said area on late Sunday evening last whilst taxiing past. Thought nothing of it then (being dead tired) but am now wondering if it's anything related ?

Cannot remember / Did not take note if the trains were running at that time :)

Edited by BC Tam

It;s a;ways been the lack of maintenance culture that have resulted in these frequent breakdowns. Whether getting new aerotrains or not is not the answer as it will only be a short matter of time that the new trains will also suffer the same fate. The current aerotrains have been breaking down for the past many years and not only just now. It's all comes down to the lack of proper maintenance and preventive maintenance.

It;s a;ways been the lack of maintenance culture that have resulted in these frequent breakdowns. Whether getting new aerotrains or not is not the answer as it will only be a short matter of time that the new trains will also suffer the same fate. The current aerotrains have been breaking down for the past many years and not only just now. It's all comes down to the lack of proper maintenance and preventive maintenance.

No, I don't think it is the "lack of a maintenance culture" that seems to be always associated with anything Malaysian. I don't believe that thing is meant to run almost forever like locomotives. It's old - and there's only so much one can do in maintaining old stuff that is used everyday and almost all day. If maintenance means replacing major parts, they might as well just a new one - which is long overdue. Any examples where this model is used well in excess of 2 decades, and happily chugging along everyday, all day?

Agree with Mushrif. The tech is at least 20yrs old. Any train, whatever brand, will struggle into its 20s with its schedule running almost 24hrs a day with God knows how many pax. It really needs replacement but the question is, is there any train models out there that can replace this one which will fit the same powerplant and track design.

Agree with Mushrif. The tech is at least 20yrs old. Any train, whatever brand, will struggle into its 20s with its schedule running almost 24hrs a day with God knows how many pax. It really needs replacement but the question is, is there any train models out there that can replace this one which will fit the same powerplant and track design.

Changi used to have the same or similar model as KLIA but have replaced them many years ago with what you see today operating between Changis terminals.

No, I don't think it is the "lack of a maintenance culture" that seems to be always associated with anything Malaysian. I don't believe that thing is meant to run almost forever like locomotives. It's old - and there's only so much one can do in maintaining old stuff that is used everyday and almost all day. If maintenance means replacing major parts, they might as well just a new one - which is long overdue. Any examples where this model is used well in excess of 2 decades, and happily chugging along everyday, all day?

This is no excuse as ive ridden in Metro in germany where some of the rolling stocks were build in the 80s and still functioning great running alongside the newer ones.

If really preventive maintenance was no issue what are they gonna do about it? Its just less than 2km long. Whats taking them so long to actually start thinking whats gonna happen when it breaks down? Might as well just rip the track apart and start using the bus to ferry passengers intra terminal, which in 3 years when buses start falling apart, age is to blame.

And i thought our country is going big on rail infrastructure?

Chek Lap Kok International Airport was opened almost at the same time as KLIA. I have been using the airport & train services since 2001 not less than 10 times / month. I could not recall at anytime at all the train services had broken down.

May be Hongkies are more ‘gentle’ ? Coincident? Better brand / maker? Less mileage?...... etc.....etc..... I don’t know .....

There's money to be made with new equipment, not so much with maintenance ;)

Chek Lap Kok International Airport was opened almost at the same time as KLIA. I have been using the airport & train services since 2001 not less than 10 times / month. I could not recall at anytime at all the train services had broken down.

You wouldn't know because you didn't pay as much attention as KUL's train. People don't usually pay attention to things happening in other people's backyards.

I used to think JFK's aero train was a disaster because it breaks down every time I was there (or at least the one that goes between terminals only) and you can't walk from one terminal to another. So tough luck if you want to go from Jamaica station to T8 and want to skip the rest of the terminals or if you want to go from T8 to T7 (which involve a change at Federal Circle plus going through T1 to T5/6).

May be Hongkies are more gentle ? Coincident? Better brand / maker? Less mileage?...... etc.....etc..... I dont know .....

The train model or type used at HKG is totally different. Not an apples to apples comparison. That could explain the difference in durability.

The train model or type used at HKG is totally different. Not an apples to apples comparison. That could explain the difference in durability.

And also HKG operates solely underground in a mostly straight line where as KUL's aero train has to operate under harsh tropical weather with turns.

Some London underground, British Rail rolling stocks were in operation for over 40 years. Temperature change in Europe from hot and dry summer to wet autumn and sub zero winter temperature stress mechanical parts more.

Thought mahb built a depot for aerotrain a few years ago? With depot, mahb could have a spare train set.

Maintenance schedule is not permanent, one could and should adjust to suit local condition, requirement and budget. With over 20 years operating experience and record; not that a budget is an issue with mahb, a discipline preventive maintenance could minimize unscheduled breakdown.

Edited by KK Lee