MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
M. Sofian H.

KLIA Aerotrain Breakdown

Last night was a disaster.

Took the late Malindo flight back from SIN and found out via tripcase a few days before it been delayed (retimed) by 20 mins. Whilst waiting for the flight I was read about the issues with the Aerotrain.

Upon arrival at KLIA its was chaos and the designed gate at the main terminal was still full due to a delayed flight. 40 mins was spent waiting for a gate with little or no AC. Looking out the window at about 23:30 there was a lot of busses and cars racing back and forth between the main and satellite terminals. I was told by ground staff that the train issues has caused delays to flights at the G&H gates as well and this was the knock on effect.

Have been using KLIA for 16 years and whilst it looks nice etc its pretty poorly designed and maintained.

that will be more or less effect the image of KLIA, once again...

happy to see the new train in service...

Edited by Roy Chin

Allow me to go OT for a bit:

Has anyone noticed the lack of any warning tones or announcements before the doors close? They close randomly with no indication whatsoever, causing many to get caught off-guard. Been like this for years, AFAIK.

One thing that I noticed is that there have been more breakdowns of the aerotrain since they build the maintenance depot. Remember reading that they claimed the train ops will run smoother once the depot was build but seems to be the other way round to me.

The rolling stock is the APM100 by Bombardier, similar to the ones used by Changi when they started their people mover project. They are now using Mitsubishi's Crystal Mover. Perhaps MAHB should consider changing the rolling stock when they start their Sat B project.

Knowing mahb corporate culture, preventive maintenance is not always followed. Aerotrain is klia Achilles heel, they should have spare rolling stock on standby.

Edited by KK Lee

I think they should construct a pedestrian tunnel from MTB to Satellite under/next to the aerotrain viaduct/tunnel. Worst case scenario (trains go kaput and no buses) pax would just have to walk. Good for Plan B/emergency too.

just got back from KLIA...looks like the trains have been operating normally however now they have placed rope barriers manned by securities for crowd control..it was quite a hassle and utmost inconvenient for passengers and looked very unorganized

Can't even managed their own flagship airport effectively and efficiently, some more want to manage airport in India and Turkey.....

Even though MAHB has problem with KLIA Aerotrain but why can't they manage airports in India and Turkey?

Even though MAHB has problem with KLIA Aerotrain but why can't they manage airports in India and Turkey?

If they can't even ensure that their main flagship KLIA is not working in tip top condition, in their home country where their main HQ is, one will just start questioning if they can manage an airport, thousands of miles away, with teams of different culture etc..

shameful

esp when its the gateway to Malaysia

Yes, very shameful considering that across the Causeway, they have trains both landside and airside to move people across the terminals and we seldom hear of breakdowns there.

haha. No comment. bahaya

OT a bit. Can you tell the powers that be in MAHB to install more water dispensers at klia2 esp Gates P and Q? Flew to Sydney yesterday and saw long lines of pax queuing to fill up their water bottles.

OT a bit. Can you tell the powers that be in MAHB to install more water dispensers at klia2 esp Gates P and Q? Flew to Sydney yesterday and saw long lines of pax queuing to fill up their water bottles.

They want people to pay rm6 for a 500ml bottled water onboard...that's why...and they sorta like lower the pressure...water takes forever to fill up...

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

I thought MAHB doing well in Turkey?

They want people to pay rm6 for a 500ml bottled water onboard...that's why...and they sorta like lower the pressure...water takes forever to fill up...

KLIA2 is an absolutely brilliant airport where you can only purchase mineral water in a cup, not bottle from the airside shops. Where else could you find such stellar service? And we all know the reason. Is it even legal? I'm never a consumer group advocate, but felt consumer's right truly restricted by this move. Why can't i buy a bottle of mineral water in this airport?

Edited by V Wong

Yes, very shameful considering that across the Causeway, they have trains both landside and airside to move people across the terminals and we seldom hear of breakdowns there.

Actually I experienced it twice in the past year alone. The first time I had to rush from T2 to T3 and had to run across the MRT station...

Axman, not broken down la... Closed whilst construction of the Jewel takes place. No T2/T3 Airside/landslide connection between E-Gates and B-Gates.. But the airside only T2-F/T3-A link still up and running.

The last time there was major disruption in KLIA was when they had closed pet of the line to construct the new Aerotrain maintenance complex... Which actually looks seldom used anyway...

Do they only have the two three-carriage units? Why no spare? Perhaps some money to be made in an upgrade project - the new bombardier trains at DXB a Concourse D are quite impressive.

Axman, not broken down la... Closed whilst construction of the Jewel takes place. No T2/T3 Airside/landslide connection between E-Gates and B-Gates.. But the airside only T2-F/T3-A link still up and running.

The last time there was major disruption in KLIA was when they had closed pet of the line to construct the new Aerotrain maintenance complex... Which actually looks seldom used anyway...

Do they only have the two three-carriage units? Why no spare? Perhaps some money to be made in an upgrade project - the new bombardier trains at DXB a Concourse D are quite impressive.

Nope, the first time was before it was closed for the construction. It was broken down. SEcond time it was from T1 to T3, but of course this is rather manageable.

Edited by Azman MN

Lagi :(

Aerotrain services disrupted at KLIA

PETALING JAYA: Aerotrains at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) will not be operational from 9.30am to noon on Thursday (Jan 25) due to emergency maintenance work, said Malaysia Airports in an Instagram post.

from: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2018/01/25/aerotrain-services-disrupted-at-klia/#q0VRXf1mehfEsti0.99