MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
E Faizal

Biman Bangladesh DC-10

I guess the DC10 will be phased out in not to many time from now when I expect more T7s te arrive for this airline

Please note that BIMAN is the last and only airline still using DC10 on scheduled flights!!

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Biman adds another Boeing Thursday

BSS, Dhaka

The second Boeing 777-300ER aircraft joins the fleet of Biman Bangladesh Airlines Thursday as Boeing has completed preparation to deliver this fourth generation new aircraft.

Boeing delivered the first to Biman in October under a $1.2 billion sales agreement signed in 2008. As per the agreement, the US aviation industry will supply ten brand-new aircrafts, including four Boeing 777-300ERs, four Boeing 787-8 and two Boeing 737-800 NG aircrafts.

With the joining of this second Boeing airplane, Biman's fleet strength increases to 16.

The deliveries of next two 777-300ERs are scheduled for 2013.

Boeing 777-300ER has a capacity of carrying 419 passengers in two class configurations. With the advent of Boeing 777s, Biman's ageing DC-10s will be phased out gradually.

"These two aircraft deliveries are a major milestone for Biman Bangladesh and Boeing and a sign of growing US-Bangladesh economic relationship, said a press release issued Wednesday by the US Embassy in Dhaka.

"Boeing is supplying the aircraft as part of a long-term fleet renewal programme that aims to modernise Bangladesh's national carrier," it said.

Delivery of new 777-300ER will usher in a new era of commercial aviation for the nation, according to the Biman Bangladesh Airlines.

The state airline introduced non-stop services to London, Manchester, Rome, Milan and Kuala Lumpur with the newly procured Boeing 777 from November 2, 2011.

The 777-300ER brings new twin-engine efficiency to the Biman's long-haul fleet. The airplane is powered by General Electric GE90-115BLs, the world's largest and most powerful commercial jet engines.

According to Biman, the Boeing 777-300ER is 19 percent lighter than its closest competitor, greatly reducing its fuel requirement. It produces 22 percent less carbon dioxide per seat and costs 20 percent less to operate per seat.

The airplane can seat up to 365 passengers in a three-class configuration and has a maximum range of 7,930 nautical miles (14,685 km). The 777 family is the world's most successful twin-engine, twin-aisle airplane.

Source: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/latest_news.php?nid=33896

BG is on good track to improving their fleet and on time performance. Sadly the one last airline to fly time-machine DC-10 is retiring theirs...a dark day for aviation enthusiasts... :sorry: :sorry:

aiyoo...even BIMAN has ordered 77Ws and 787s! MAS, apamacam la?

however, good to know that KUL is up there with LHR, MAN, MXP and FCO - at least for BIMAN :)

however, good to know that KUL is up there with LHR, MAN, MXP and FCO - at least for BIMAN :)

Just go to show how bad things are at home...

I hope the destinations listed are just temporary e.g. for crew training cuz it certainly does seem to be a bit of a wastage of the 77W's range capabilities operating to these places.

MAS has ordered new A330-300 and the most important is A380.

Just go to show how bad things are at home...

I hope the destinations listed are just temporary e.g. for crew training cuz it certainly does seem to be a bit of a wastage of the 77W's range capabilities operating to these places.

more to capacity reason perhaps

also its mean, an era ending soon, last passanger DC10s never be fly anymore.

Biman Bangladesh Airlines has a new CEO since a few months. The new CEO decided the DC-10s will be retired around August this year.

Source: Biman Bangladesh Airlines on Facebook

Biman set to lease two Boeing 777-200ER aircraft which are expected to join the fleet by June 2013. In Sep/Nov Biman will be receive delivery 2 more brand new Boeing 777-300ER. And last but not least in December 2013 BG set to get further 2 Boeing 777-200ERs.

To sum up, by the end of2013 BG fleet will have 4 B777-200ER, 4 777-300ER, in total 8 777s. All this means, it's time to wave bye to the legendary DC-10s soon. At present Biman still has 3 airworthy DC-10s; S2-ACO, -ACP, & -ACR.

Another newsreport to introduce the new Biman: http://www.thedailystar.net/beta2/news/unlike-biman/

----

I am really happy I had 7 takeoffs in the BG DC10 in 2012 and in 2013, including a cockpit takeoff and landing from CGP to AUH this year icon_smile.gif

Kind regards,

Cornelis Boersma

What a pity that the spotting scene in KUL is no longer as it used to be. Otherwise it would be quite an attraction, including for international spotters.

Hands up any MalaysianWings member intending to take the final DC-10 flight. I don't think I have had the luck of seeing one. The most recent one I saw was the T7 in new color.

Hands up any MalaysianWings member intending to take the final DC-10 flight. I don't think I have had the luck of seeing one. The most recent one I saw was the T7 in new color.

I am toying with the idea. But then Biman is notorious with last minute equipment change.

Biman Bangladesh, the last DC-10 passenger flight operator, will be retiring their final 3-engine bird coming December 2013.

The last flight will depart Abu Dhabi on December 1st at 1am, make an intermediate stop in Sylhet, Bangladesh, before touching down a little after 9am in Dhaka. You can purchase that Abu Dhabi – Dhaka flight for just USD 200, which seems like a bargain. It’s a chance to be a part of history.

For KUL flight, the last flight is on 30th Nov. I was doing a dummy booking. There are apparently two flights on the day: BG1087 and BG87. My guts tell me the last DC-10 should be BG87 since it doesn't show J class ticket price.

May I ask is BG1087 an additional flight? It does show J class but with what equipment? A310 or B77W?

I am proud that I was a team of Flight Instructors that conduct training for 2 batches of Biman DC10 crew members.

Some commercial jets receive soaring fanfare when they hang up their wings.

Remember all that fuss over the Concorde?

Now it's the McDonnell Douglas DC-10's turn.

But what sort of retirement party awaits the airline industry's final scheduled DC-10 passenger flight?

The final-flight honor goes to Bangladesh Biman Airlines, operator of the world's last passenger DC-10 -- which the airline says will be making its final scheduled flight on December 7, on an otherwise routine flight. (The airline hasn't said which route the plane will fly.)

The aircraft will then remain grounded in standby mode while awaiting the arrival of its successor, a shiny new Boeing B777-300ER -- and eventual shipment to an undisclosed aviation museum in the United States.

While passenger service comes to an end for the iconic, wide-body, three-engine workhorse of late-20th-century air travel, the DC-10 won't completely disappear from the skies.

It's still commonly used by cargo companies, such as FedEx and Purolator.

Exactly how old is the Biman DC-10???

S2-ACP is 34.9 years old, dated back to SQ's era. Delivered on 03-03-1979 to SQ. Named 'City of Dhaka'. Retired recently as they reluctant to spend any more $$ to fix her damages.

S2-ACR is 25.3 years old, bought new. second last DC-10 off production line. Ironically named 'New Era'. Delivered on 30-12-1988 to BG.

Did I read correctly: 28dec13 will be the very last flights to/from KUL ?