MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

KLM 737 takes off from taxiway at Amsterdam Schiphol

Dutch investigators have opened an inquiry after a KLM Boeing 737-300 took off from a taxiway at Amsterdam Schiphol yesterday.

The aircraft, registered PH-BDP, was departing on a service to Warsaw when the incident occurred.

Flight KL1369 was supposed to use runway 36C but instead took off from taxiway B which runs parallel on the eastern side.

A spokeswoman for the Dutch Safety Board states that the incident is being classified as "serious" by the investigators.

The aircraft continue to Warsaw and the crew was interviewed on return, she adds.

KLM lists KL1369's scheduled departure time as 20:20 and the spokesman says the incident took place at 20:36.

Amsterdam Schiphol would have been in darkness at this time. Meteorological data from the airport shows good visibility and weather conditions at the time.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/02/12/338362/klm-737-takes-off-from-taxiway-at-amsterdam-schiphol.html

Very serious indeed and at the 'home airport' somemore !!! :blink:

Luckily, no other traffic on taxiway B...

I'm no longer familiar with AMS. Does AMS has any "pseudo-runway" like in TPE and KHH many years ago? TPE and KHH used to have runways that are used as taxiways, but still have the runway markings and lightings. Things changed after the SQ TPE incident; now taxiways are taxiways and runways are used for takeoff and landings.

Otherwise taxiways and runways carries a very different markings.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/405387-klm-737-takes-off-taxiway-eham.html

I'm no longer familiar with AMS. Does AMS has any "pseudo-runway" like in TPE and KHH many years ago?

Negative, captain...

That's why everyone is flabbergasted overhere in NL about this incident: lighting is completely different for taxiways and runways, also at Schiphol !!!

Check the charts: what happened is, when crossing the 'bridge' over the highway A4, the aircraft was cleared for take-off 36C from the intersection, but took a 1st right-turn onto B and took-off (it should have proceeded further ahead and than turn right onto the runway).

What amazes me most is, that the crew was allowed to fly back from WAW the next day, before being interogated...

Thank god,no injuries involved!but still,its one heck of a big mistake by the crew,reported of good vsibility at the aerodrome itself,they shouldn't repeat the same mistake like the SIA crew did..

:D

Thank god,no injuries involved!but still,its one heck of a big mistake by the crew,reported of good vsibility at the aerodrome itself,they shouldn't repeat the same mistake like the SIA crew did..

:D

I think it is quite an amazing incident, especially for a plane that is taking off at its home base!

Yes, the flight crew should have been immediately suspended pending full investigations. Hmmmm... KLM needs to review its SOP. Remember that "star" captain responsible for the Tenerife crash?

This is getting to be a disease! Pilots aren't what they used to be! :angry:

Aeroflot A320 takes off from Oslo taxiway

Norwegian investigators have opened an inquiry after an Aeroflot Airbus A320 bound for Moscow Sheremetyevo took off from a taxiway at Oslo Gardermoen yesterday.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/02/26/338869/aeroflot-a320-takes-off-from-oslo-taxiway.html

Dont the 737 that they flew has anything about runway disagree thingy that trigger warning of some sort?

RAAS. I think MH is the only operator to install the system on their B734. Annoying most of the time, but very useful to prevent those sort of incidences.

This is getting to be a disease! Pilots aren't what they used to be! :angry:

Thanks to deregulation, privatization and finally today the low-cost airlines, flying is now cheaper than it used to be. And it is showing.

first of all, is it true story or just only urban legend? is there official report about this event?

then;

Well what about CRM issues? let we imagine, one of pilots made mistake, so what is doing another one? as far as I know one the base rule of CRM , pilots must be check eachother about threat of posible mistakes. Do I wrong?

On the other hand, a few months ago Egypt air took of from wrong runways in AMS (is it correct Pieter?). Crowded airports and needed new runways, then adding more adding taxiways. SO this is becomes trouble in busy airport becouse of, the most of sections are out of visibility becouse runway and taxiway are too far away from tower. Looongggg looonnnnnggggg taxies maybe boring to pilots and they should be lost concentrations. One of my friends who is flying with B734, said that some day "I don't like shiphol, it seems like a small city with streets, it takes at least 30~40 minutes to reach the farest runway!we are taking extra taxi fuel in here!"

But I don't think so they can't be cause of like as mistakes! there are a lot of "sign" for corrected you are in runway or not!;

- signboxes

- markings

- lights

- soil and width

How they missed all of them?

Could be tower givess takeoff permission from taxiway? (it is a minor possibility but who knows it could be ! :) )

Other than lighting, it is easy to tell a taxiway from a runway, right! The zebra crossings and white boxes... Hard to fathom what was going on...

Any follow up of this incident?

There are many factors which contribute to incidents. Perhaps these guys are lucky incident did not turn to accident.

There are many factors which can lead pilots to make mistakes in the flight deck. Technical problems, cabin calls, ATC calls, distractions etc etc.... Yes, two man crew concept to cross check each other. Easier said than done sometimes, like the glamourous Tenerife KLM B747 Captain. Other factor being it is very easy to sell and buy ideas/suggestions from the guy on the other seat. Also once both crew are go minded, it takes a lot for any one of them to realised something is wrong and get the plane from being sucked further into a deep endless black hole.

Sign in to follow this