MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
KS Ong

KUL 32R in 2010

Today after spending time in Sepang town until about 10.40AM, I decided to go for an early lunch until i remembered Iran Air would be departing at around 11.00AM. Diverted to OH and her departure was delayed to about 11.40AM. Was lucky enough to catch her departure as this is the first in my DB.

EP-IAC-32R-10-07-10.jpg

EP-IAC :good:

Soon after, a van came up with about 9 bullies in the van. Yikes! I knew I was going to be in trouble again this time. They must have been chasing a lot of people today as I saw many of them up on the hill before I left work for home.

After the usual Q&A session, one guy decided to just open my bag while I was still being interrogated by the others. I realised it and resisted. I told them to bring me to the MAB office if they wanted to search through my bag because they've got no rights to touch any of my property! I quickly took out my phone and told them I'm calling a friend who heads a huge department in MAHB. They even claimed that they have seen me up there very often and I don't seem to obey the regulations when it was only my 2nd time getting chased!

After a little threatening, they decided to take it easy on me. After much talking, they said that they've discovered people using scanners. Not being an aviation buff, they said last week they caught 3 people having "walkie-talkies" which could communicate with the tower. One of them, a foreigner was brought to the MAB office in the LCCT and together with the police, they confiscated the scanner and almost put the foreigner behind bars.

Just a note guys, they are going to take things very seriously now from what they narrated to me. If you're caught anywhere around the airport area with a scanner, I have to say that you're only going to be on your own and nobody's going to be able to help you (if their story was true, will check with my friend soon). I got a free drive down the hill in their van after that 20 minute ordeal with them. Uneventful, but that's not going to stop me from going up there again if there's a need to go there.

It looks to me now that we're all terrorists to their eyes. Discouraging or not is for us to decide, but the love for the metal birds will never die! :drinks:

Good catch there Ramani on the newly restored AlpahCharlie. :good:

Hmmmm..... No a good experience of yours to hear. :angry:

A little bit of history which I myself never knew until Chaity highlighted.

On January 15, 2004 an Iran Air Boeing 747SP-86 EP-IAC with 180 passengers and crew onboard suffered hydraulic problems after departure from Beijing Capital International Airport, China. The aircraft returned to the airport, but the nose gear collapsed upon landing. The aircraft was ferried back to Tehran where it was withdrawn from service.Now after 6 years and complex overhaul this giant beauty flies again.Note to her nose… We have another “Persian Gulf” jumbo after EP-IAA

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Iran-Air/Boeing-747SP-86/1671620/&sid=a6917e7a9d2c4818c4b0a58d0442467a

Great shot of the SP, a type not allowed in Europe anymore :(

Thanks for the update, Sri Ramani: even more reason to 'spend' our 6th Anniversary in a neighbouring country !!! :pardon:

I'm just curious if they'll actually confiscate your camera equipments as 'evidence' of trespassing? Looks like its gonna be tough to go spotting around KUL nowadays.

I'm just curious if they'll actually confiscate your camera equipments as 'evidence' of trespassing? Looks like its gonna be tough to go spotting around KUL nowadays.

nobody has that right unless it is from the police. if you give in to their request, they will take advantage.

Including another one more shot from the back of this SP.

EP-IAC-32R-10-07-10-back.jpg

Looks like its gonna be tough to go spotting around KUL nowadays.

I quit.

I quit.

Hopefully not for the 'outside Malaysia' airports: would sincerely miss your inputs of pictures at various sites :(

Seems like worst than I thought. :(

Soon after, a van came up with about 9 bullies in the van. Yikes! I knew I was going to be in trouble again this time. They must have been chasing a lot of people today as I saw many of them up on the hill before I left work for home.

After the usual Q&A session, one guy decided to just open my bag while I was still being interrogated by the others. I realised it and resisted. I told them to bring me to the MAB office if they wanted to search through my bag because they've got no rights to touch any of my property! I quickly took out my phone and told them I'm calling a friend who heads a huge department in MAHB. They even claimed that they have seen me up there very often and I don't seem to obey the regulations when it was only my 2nd time getting chased!

After a little threatening, they decided to take it easy on me. After much talking, they said that they've discovered people using scanners. Not being an aviation buff, they said last week they caught 3 people having "walkie-talkies" which could communicate with the tower. One of them, a foreigner was brought to the MAB office in the LCCT and together with the police, they confiscated the scanner and almost put the foreigner behind bars.

Just a note guys, they are going to take things very seriously now from what they narrated to me. If you're caught anywhere around the airport area with a scanner, I have to say that you're only going to be on your own and nobody's going to be able to help you (if their story was true, will check with my friend soon). I got a free drive down the hill in their van after that 20 minute ordeal with them. Uneventful, but that's not going to stop me from going up there again if there's a need to go there.

It looks to me now that we're all terrorists to their eyes. Discouraging or not is for us to decide, but the love for the metal birds will never die! :drinks:

I think this is a sad development - looks like they are trying to intimidate you. I think that as long as you let them know that you know that you are just photographing beautiful planes and show them your pictures you should be OK. You should not be confrontational.

It looks like Friday is a better day to go to OH and it is best to avoid it on weekends. Maybe spotters should not go alone - the ones who have radio receivers should be off site and they can relay info to the spotter via SMS or phone call...

Yes, since this kind of experience can be expected on a Saturday, it will make it hard for MW's 6th anniversary celebrations to be held in KUL. :(

I quit.

We do not have to fear them, Capt. It is an irritating battle, but thinking back it's not only one person we're battling against (GOF, MAB, PDRM). I am not giving up and that's for sure. Chase me as much as you want, I will still come back for more :rofl:

Anyways, was at lakeside today. With good light, you will always get good photos here. But before you go here, pray for 2 things:

1) Late rotation, and

2) No A10 departures!

Traffic was almost similar to what I caught yesterday morning @ 32L. 9M-MLD took off as I was driving in, missed her by just a breather!

A7-AEG-32R-11-07-10.jpg

A7-AEG

9M-MRC-32R-11-07-10.jpg

Just love to see this bird take off in this angle! 9M-MRC

A9C-LG-32R-11-07-10.jpg

A9C-LG

9M-MPR-32R-11-07-10.jpg

Hello friend, long time no see! 9M-MPR

7O-ADT-32R-11-07-10.jpg

And this is what you get when they take off from A10 (applies to all the AK birds too!). Yemenia, 7O-ADT

9M-MMC-32R-11-07-10.jpg

And you will get some nice late rotation shots when they take off from A7! 9M-MMC.

On my way out, saw a police car parked by the side of the exit from the lakeside road. I just continued driving and never looked back :D

Nice catch there Ramani on a sunny morning. :good:

I could only watch some of those birds from internet radar in the comfort of my home. :p

Hmmmm..... you were attired in an estate worker to pass those Bulis ? :rofl: =@

I quit.

And I thought I am the only ones quitting :p Well at least spotting in malaysia spells an end for me <_>

I read that there is a group overseas where they get the rights to spot all they want but relay any suspicious movements around the airport to the authorities in return. Do you think we could work something out with the authorities here? Get the media to highlight our passion and show the world that its a healthy and beneficial hobby (I think M'Wings was in the papers once right? Correct me if I'm wrong).

nobody has that right unless it is from the police. if you give in to their request, they will take advantage.

But those guys that confronted you are police right?

I read that there is a group overseas where they get the rights to spot all they want but relay any suspicious movements around the airport to the authorities in return. Do you think we could work something out with the authorities here? Get the media to highlight our passion and show the world that its a healthy and beneficial hobby (I think M'Wings was in the papers once right? Correct me if I'm wrong).

For this to happen, I think it will take centuries before they understand we are actually not a THREAT. :rofl:

But those guys that confronted you are police right?

Negative, MAB personnel. If it was the GOF guys or from the PDRM, I would have just kept mum and listened to their lecture and walked off. :D

Unfortunately, these are security personnel, whether MAB, police or military. They are somehow trained to just follow order and NOT to use their brain. Logic will have no bearing on them. They keep us safe, by ensuring no aircraft is blown out of the sky by bottles of mineral water or being shot by Canons during takeofff roll.

Unfortunately, these are security personnel, whether MAB, police or military. They are somehow trained to just follow order and NOT to use their brain. Logic will have no bearing on them. They keep us safe, by ensuring no aircraft is blown out of the sky by bottles of mineral water or being shot by Canons during takeofff roll.

And thats why we should all switch to Nikon! No threat there right? :yahoo:

I bet the guy that gave that order wouldn't admit to it.

Light was good this morning but traffic was so expected. <_>

Change the view point by spotting from far ..... :p

CX 777

cx777w.jpg

MH 747

mh747w.jpg

After 1000, some dark clouds started looming :aggressive:

SQ is sending 773 since yesterday. Good load or less 772 in the fleet now ? :unknw:

9VSYBw.jpg

i can only say one thing. the next time Chaity invites anyone to go spotting, please don't think too much to take off and go. why? because he brings good blue sky + light + specials all the way from SA. SA can stand for Shah Alam or even Star Alliance :rofl:

i can only say one thing. the next time Chaity invites anyone to go spotting, please don't think too much to take off and go. why? because he brings good blue sky + light + specials all the way from SA. SA can stand for Shah Alam or even Star Alliance :rofl:

Ha ha! :lol: I missed that Star Alliance. :pardon:

Since single runway ops on 32L from 1100, I went to the terminal instead of Sepang Town. :rolleyes:

Wrong choice for me ! Anjung Tinjau was CLOSED for some A380 Meeting/Training =@

I was unable to see any aircraft movement in Satellite Building. <_>

I went to the road leading to Ladang at around 1320. Usually, rwy should back to normal at around 1300.

Waited until 1420 but rwy still closed. :finger:

I heard some siren near 32R/14L. I guess they must have some kind of emergency drill. =@

Left for home after that. :angry:

Since single runway ops on 32L from 1100, I went to the terminal instead of Sepang Town. :rolleyes:

Wrong choice for me ! Anjung Tinjau was CLOSED for some A380 Meeting/Training =@

I was unable to see any aircraft movement in Satellite Building. <_<

I went to the road leading to Ladang at around 1320. Usually, rwy should back to normal at around 1300.

I heard some siren near 32R/14L. I guess they must have some kind of emergency drill. =@

Planning to go spotting again next week? I have break on tuesday and wednesday. :yahoo:

I was unable to see any aircraft movement in Satellite Building. <_<

32R was closed from 12-2++ for aircrash exercise..

any pictures of the exercise??

Anjung Tinjau was CLOSED for some A380 Meeting/Training

I saw that too when I was at KLIA on 15 July. In front of one of the rooms en-route to Anjung Tinjau there was a sign which says "A380" only. So I thought they temporarily name one of the meeting room as A380 and not exactly about the aircraft. :p