MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Albin And

Emirates Dubai-Melbourne will go via KUL

Not really a great news if it's temporary. So much for that A380 lol. But still good news on the third daily flight!

Just slightly off topic, QR has a direct DOH-MEL route... i wonder if they would consider doing DOH-KUL-MEL soon? Will be interesting to see..

Guest redharahmad

No, EK344/345 is completely canceled.

EK408/409 DXB KUL MEL routing will be maintained from 28MAR10 and onwards. (I did a follow-up post on 04JAN10 http://airlineroute.net/2010/01/04/ek-s10) KUL MEL sector is already open for booking.

Is it open for booking on emirates.com? I've tried booking MEL-KUL-MEL for travel in June but the boooking engine on emirates.com is not showing anything and expedia routes me on EK 404 via SIN with the KUL-SIN sector on MI.

Booking is currently until the end of the winter schedule for the KUL/MEL/KUL. Booking for the summer schedule has yet to be loaded into the system as they are still waiting for the relevant regulatory approval.Once received, booking will be opened online. You might be able to make a booking first at their office. I was also told that to wait a few days more as a very special introduction fare will be on sale to launch the new route!

Edited by Alan B.

I did a dummy booking this morning at www.emirates.com, KUL-MEL-KUL can be booked but the page shown an error just after we select the flight and the fare. I guess they are still waiting for the green light to proceed with the whole thing.

A return ticket in Economy Class is being sold at MYR 2,885 all in (starred price).

The service ex-KUL still isn't bookable.

Yeah I can't seemed to book from Emirates Australia website either. I tried keying in Melbourne as departure airport and I can't see to find KUL as the arrival airport.

Booking your ticket to Melbourne, Isaac? :D

Interesting routing, stopping in KUL despite the fact that 345 can do this route non-stop.

I guess the equivalent would be like if MH would do a KUL-DXB-LHR route to steal passengers away from EK on the DXB-LHR route. Maintain a daily non-stop KUL-LHR, and then offer slightly cheaper tickets for the one-stop route, but then make money on the passengers flying only one sector by charging them >50% of the ticket price of the full route.

wow, maybe you pros know this already but this gave me an idea so I looked up prices for an economy class return KUL-LHR in April:

MH about USD1500

EK: USD1293

Now, interestingly, for KUL-DXB only, Emirates is USD 1252!

DXB-LHR is USD 813

Now lets say MH wants to fill up 200 Y seats. If they sell the 1 stop ticket at USD1250 instead of the USD1500 for non-stop flights (slightly cheaper than EK), and sell only 120 tickets, they would lose revenue of USD250 x 120 = USD30,000.

The other 80 seats would be reserved for the 1 sector pax, and they can charge USD1200 (EK: USD1252) and USD750 (EK: USD813) for the respective sectors. This would be a gain of USD450 per seat x 80 = USD36,000. Already a USD6,000 profit (which I guess would go towards the additional stopover costs, but hey what a way to elbow yourself into a market!)

I think I am beginning to understand Emirate's strategy!

A return ticket in Economy Class is being sold at MYR 2,885 all in (starred price).

I believe the introduction promo fare would be about 20-30% off that price you quoted. So my source said wait a bit longer........

I believe the introduction promo fare would be about 20-30% off that price you quoted. So my source said wait a bit longer........

i am waiting patiently..

Booking is currently until the end of the winter schedule for the KUL/MEL/KUL. Booking for the summer schedule has yet to be loaded into the system as they are still waiting for the relevant regulatory approval.Once received, booking will be opened online. You might be able to make a booking first at their office. I was also told that to wait a few days more as a very special introduction fare will be on sale to launch the new route!

KUL MEL is NOW AVAILABLE TO BOOK including 2010 Summer (beyond 28MAR10), but sale fare is not loaded in the system. Right now the "cheapest" for instance 10JUN10 - 20JUN10 is MYR12091 + tax (in Business).

Just because you can't book it on Emirates website it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or not loaded into the system.

The flight is now bookable at www.emirates.com.

EKKULMEL1.jpg

As mentioned previously, the fares is MYR 2,885 all in for a return seat in Economy Class + 14,000 Skywards Miles!

EKKULMEL2.jpg

For the same itinerary, MH is charging MYR 3,690 while D7 goes for MYR 1,864. So, choose wisely.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

But the flight can only be booked until 28 March 2010 only.

EKKULMEL3.jpg

Some people are suggesting that the service is just for a very short time only.

Two months routing is exceptional for any airline. Likely EK is cater for heavy ex-KUL CNY traffic to MEL and EUR.

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

The EK408/409 flights are now available to book from Emirates Australia website. It now allows one to choose MEL to KUL.

The fares are as low as AUD$594 on certain days and AUD$854 on other days. Why pay to fly with the 5 star full service MH and 5 star low cost carrier D7 when the 4 stars Emirates will suffice? :pardon:

Looks like the DXB - KUL - MEL will be a permanent route and it last for a while at least till 30 November.

Emirates Australia is running an offer for MEL-KUL return for $594 for travelling from 2 February 2010 until 30 November 2010.

http://www.emirates.com/au/english/destinations_offers/special_offers/special_fares/special_fares.aspx?id=535325#535325

Great news for travellers!

Yes it is. Flights can be booked for period even beyond 1 December 2010.

EKKULMEL4.jpg

But I think for those who are after cheaper non-promotional fares, but still want to fly with EK, the SIN-MEL-SIN flights are being sold in the range of MYR 1,700+ all in. Just add in a KUL-SIN-KUL flights and the end result will still be cheaper than the non-stop KUL-MEL-KUL flights. Now there's even more alternatives to fly to MEL with EK from KUL.

A$594 is a bargain, that is just over RM1,800. I hope that EK will come up with similar promotional fare ex-KUL soon.

Also worth mentioning is Emirates' frequent flyer programme - Skywards.Despite its recent 'enhancement', it is still one of the more generous programme around. Even with the heavily discounted fare (A$594) one still get 10,000 Skyward miles. MH promotional fare only gives 30% of actual miles flown, thats roughly 2,400 Enrich miles for a KUL-MEL roundtrip.

Emirates is also one of thefew airlines that does not impose fuel surcharge on tickets. Therefore when redeeming the miles, one just pays the airport taxes and security charges :good:MH fuel surcharge on KUL-MEL currently stands at US$100 each way, that means an Enrich member has to fork out RM680 on fuel surcharge when redeeming his 'free' flights on KUL-MEL-KUL.

Those who based in Australia may find it more attractive as Skywards miles can also be used on Virgin Blue flights. A roundtrip KUL-MEL will clock up enough miles for a free one way flights such as MEL-ADL, MEL-SYD, MEL-HBA, SYD-HBA or SYD-BNE with Virgin Blue. And two roundtrips will give you a freereturn SIN-HKG with United.

EKKULMEL1.jpg

I don't understand something... why do the prices differ so much? even goes up to RM 24,907 ?!!!

Last time I wanted to book KUL-BKK-DME-BKK-DME economy through the Thai Airways website, the price was something like RM 14k, but when I consulted a travel agency, its only RM 3500. Why are airline websites putting up weird prices?

In another case, I wanted to book SVO-AMS oneway by KLM, the price was about 400 euros. But when I selected return SVO-AMS-SVO, the price was cheaper! 350 euros. I booked the return ticket because it was cheaper although I know I was not going to use the return part of the fare.

Can anyone explain why airlines do this??

Just a wild guess here, the one that cost 24K is probably EK flight from KUL to MEL via DXB, so it's KUL-DXB-SIN-MEL vv, hence explained the high fare. The 2K one is direct from MEL to KUL, from 1 feb.

Edited by Seth K

I have finally booked my flights for end of the year travel to KUL with EK. This will be my newborn son's first flight as well, so it looks like it will be EK and an A340-541 for him.

Ticket prices have gone up and I only managed to book it at the price of AUD $724 (rather than $594) per adult. Emirates is also offering a generous 30KG baggage allowance for all adults and 10KG allowance for our infant traveller. :good:

Edited by S V Choong