MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Albin And

Emirates Dubai-Melbourne will go via KUL

Dont know if someone has posted it yet, if not, here it is!

One of the now nonstop flights from Dubai to Melbourne will from 01 february 2010 make stops in Kuala Lumpur.

It is a daily flight, EK408/409 and is operated by an Airbus A345.

Schedule will be

EK408 DXB0225 – 1320KUL1450 – 0125+1MEL 345 D

EK409 MEL0310 – 08000930 – 1230DXB 345 D

This means that it will be more serious competition for MH. There will be 3 operators on this route, EK, MH and D7, do you think there is a market for all these 3?

Information was taken from http://airlineroute.net/2009/12/31/ek-kulmel/#more-16200 where it also says some more things.

Happy new year! :drinks:

Tons of airlines do the same run (kangaroo to eUrope via Sin) and they all are sucessful. the idea is to let loose and then all airlines will fiy into KUL like Changi.. There are billions of travellers in the world. so no need to worry if only 3 airlines operate one route.

Many airlines may follow suit like BA to save cost.

I hope they will do the same on their run to Auckland ,hence via KUL using A380

Edited by jadivindra

Yup, it was once believed domestic flights across the South China Sea can only ever be sustained by one Taiko ;)

Now Sai-lou (younger brother) has outgrown elder brother

Perhaps time is ripe to introduce more siblings unto the scene ? :)

That is a piece of great news for Melburnians, such as myself. :good:

Does anyone know whether this flight will be proceeding to Auckland after Melbourne? I used to fly on EK406 and EK407, both flights were direct from DXB to AKL stopping in MEL both directions using the A345.

What a great news that is ! And the flight is going to be operated using 345, a type i have never been on. The timings of the flights aren't very good though.

The schedule is online on www.emirates.com but booking is still not possible, quite weird since the service is going to start in about 2 months. No mention about this piece of news in A.Net too at present time. I agree with Isaac that the flight timings are not quite good, arrival in Tullamarine at 01:25 and departure to KUL at 03:10. MEL is a no curfew airport, isn't it?

This news is indeed very good. Now travellers have the option of 3 carriers plying the KUL-MEL vv sectors:

• MH 11 weekly (another 3 weekly service is via CGK)
  • D7 14 weekly
  • and now EK 7 weekly

The aircraft type that EK choosed for this service is interesting and for premium passengers, now they can fly aboard EK's famous private suite equipped inside the A345s - more lavish than what the other 2 Malaysian carriers offer. Now let see if MH or D7 will reduce their frequencies in view of this new entrant. EK is very good in flooding a route with capacity. The direct impact would definitely be reduction of fares by other competitors.

I hope they will do the same on their run to Auckland ,hence via KUL using A380.

The current routing of EK's A380 that does the AKL sector is DXB-SYD-AKL vv. A stopover in KUL would definitely make the flight become more unattractive.

Beautiful, I smell EK A380 at KUL somedays!

I was told by an EK insider that that there have been many talks that KUL might get the A380s earlier than anyone expected. Fingers crossed guys!

As mentioned in the linked webpage in the thread starter, KUL is now (from 1 February 2010) will be served by EK with 3 daily flights (!!!) from DXB. I think that's just amazing. I mean MH is still with their 5 weekly (3 non stop, 2 one stop in KHI) service using the ancient A333s LOL!

EK 408/409 A345 3 class

EK 346/347 B77W both 2 class and 3 class

EK 342/343 B77W and B773 3 class

EK 409, with arrival time into DXB at 12:30 from KUL will also provide better connecting time to a whole loads of other EK flights (at least for me to JED - no more arrival at 05:00 and waiting for almost half a day for the 16:30 departure into JED). Also an intesting fact to me is that from 1 February 2010, there will be 2 daily flights into KUL from DXB that depart only 1 hour apart. EK 408 departs at 02:25, while EK 346 departs at 03:10 everyday. Their loads into KUL must be very healthy to be able to offer such services.

The schedule is online on www.emirates.com but booking is still not possible, quite weird since the service is going to start in about 2 months. No mention about this piece of news in A.Net too at present time. I agree with Isaac that the flight timings are not quite good, arrival in Tullamarine at 01:25 and departure to KUL at 03:10. MEL is a no curfew airport, isn't it?

Yup, MEL is a curfew-free airport.

Guess MAHB offering carrot seems to work... Emirates looking for extra pocket money

EK allowed to pick up passengers from KUL to MEL?

SV, only the 406/407 will continue out of MEL for AKL. The current direct EK408/409 is a fairly quick turnaround, straight back to DXB

Thanks Liam. Will they keep the existing DXB-SIN-MEL route that is served by the 777-300?

Emm arrive at KUL/WMKK everyday on 1320 and 0800 (local time I believe??) and depart 1450 and 0930 is a good news for KUL spotters to shot this 2nd operator using A345 in KUL. :yahoo:

Only 32R-14L can make it possible for spotter today. :sorry:

Wishing KLIA may get more good news similar to this in year 2010...

OK... I contacted Emirates here in Australia. They said flights are bookable from Melbourne - KL (so they have fifth freedom rights it seems). Asked them for a dummy booking fare price, they said $854.41 return from Melbourne - KL. It should be all in but the operator didn't seem to have any idea what I was on about.

She said flights seemed to be wait listed a fair bit in July / August but fares from Malaysia at the moment are full fare at $3940RM. I don't know if taxes are included or not.

Hope this helps.

Alex.

This is good news indeed! I am not keen on flying their B777's but with this new daily flight now I have the opportunity to avoid them altogether, i.e. A380 on LHR - DXB and then A345 on DXB - KUL. :)

My doubt is how long they are going to keep the A345 servicing this route, as it can be easily replaced by the 777's...

Edited by H C Chai

Looking forward to EK promotion fare to MEL.

The only protected route left for MH is KUL/SYD. Pressure is mounting on MH, MH need to buckle up!

:drinks:

Edited by KK Lee

How about KUL-AKL vv if talking australia/new zealand. Also intresting EK has 5th rights oz-nz and even BI has them as well.

Looking forward to EK promotion fare to MEL.

The only protected route left for MH is KUL/SYD. Pressure is mounting on MH, MH need to buckle up!

:drinks:

What a great news that is ! And the flight is going to be operated using 345, a type i have never been on. The timings of the flights aren't very good though.

Agreed. It is okay for me personally, but not for my family with a baby... Arriving at 1:25 midnight... Or departing at 3:10am is just a bit too much for a baby to handle really. SQ is still the best option for me, personally!

Great news for KUL !! However the flight will only operate the route for the months of Feb and March 2010.

From March 29th, the flight will be the 3rd flight into KUL on some days using a B77W.

Great news for KUL !! However the flight will only operate the route for the months of Feb and March 2010.

From March 29th, the flight will be the 3rd flight into KUL on some days using a B77W.

So its just temporary,only for 2 months?