MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
C.Foo

Penang 2010 Start the New Decade

Thanks CB. I tried my best as there's always cloud cover nowadays.

Hey Yusoff! Wah... all the WMKP spotting locations have been 'conquered' by bulis? :angry:

Anyway I just returned to SIN permanently. Hope to get a chance to fly over to PEN for some food and spotting soon!

Heard from my PEN contacts that a CX 777-300ER went AOG at PEN recently?

Returned so early?... I thought for a few years... come la station at PEN.. :p

GA is conquered by bulis They have table and big pasar malam (night market) umbrella there. Sometimes they're OK if you snapping there but sometimes not. Bus Stop and MooMoo inaccessible. Left Uncle House and your 'secluded' spot only...

CX 777 went AOG? really?

what time did it arrive ? I was there early this morning for taking the CX flight...didn't see anything...yes the GA is now blocked due to some expansion of the airport

Probably just before 12pm.. i was there at quarter past 12... oh, did I mentioned 'this morning' on my previous post? Ooopssie... :p Inside the terminal it's always cold, plus the cloudy outside. In my head, it was still morning :lol:

I spent a few hours under the approach to Rwy 04 this morning. Usual stream of B734s, A320s and ATRs. Around 10.30 this appeared.

5074694102_02fe376597_z.jpg

IMG_1594, by Janner88, on Flickr

5074096813_ee46280c65_z.jpg

IMG_1600, by Janner88, on Flickr

There was some intersting GA in as well. Will post those later.

Edited by LaurieB

Good to see the PEN thread active again !!! :good:

Nice shot of the P3 Orion of the Royal New Zealand Navy :pardon:

I happy enough to see few RARE pictures where this place used to have really nice airplane photo and happy spotters face before... Keep this thread active guys...

Yusoff, I like your C-17 pictures...Like all these giant a/c...

Spotted this EA500 parked in the GA area at PEN this morning. First time I have seen this type.

5101864902_9d4c37580b_z.jpg

IMG_1754 by Janner88, on Flickr

Spent some time at the approach end of 04. Usual traffic.

5102047562_89bfed0d99_z.jpg

IMG_1765 by Janner88, on Flickr

5101454037_3294b3417f_z.jpg

IMG_1777 by Janner88, on Flickr

Later, moved up to the other end for the FedEx departure.

5101271293_0584d7aa84_z.jpg

IMG_1889 by Janner88, on Flickr

WHAAATTTT!!!!.... :blink: :blink: I didn't see it this morning....! What is it doing here?

It was there when I entered the departure hall around 9.20am, and it left the gate (gate 6) around 9.55am.

Not too sure what it was doing there, but I did see quite a number of ground crews (yellow uniform, KLAS?) gathering at departure hall gate 6 area.

WHAAATTTT!!!!.... :blink: :blink: I didn't see it this morning....! What is it doing here?

Ah!!! Good to see that someone caught it! I was told this afternoon that there was an EK diversion from KUL and was wondering if anyone saw it. Nice shot!

If not mistaken, it was EK0409 from MEL and diverted to PEN, due to heavy rain at KUL...

Even one of our MW-members was on board this bird, hence I know... :pardon:

Wow, EK in PEN! Hopefully they fall in love with the airport and start planning a schedule service there even if as a tag-on from Colombo or something.

Bob & Pieter, thanks for the info. And who's the MW member, if I might ask? :)

MAR, [sarcasm] we wish... :p

and C.Lee, great shot!! thanks!

Errmmm.. wait a sec. If it's just a heavy rain at KUL, why not wait/circle for 10 or 15 minutes rather than a 1 and a half hour plus 'joyride' (to n fro) to PEN. Funny eh?...

Thanks guys. Just happened to be there. Initially I wanted to take the evening flight to SIN but when I was booking my flight, my intuition told me I have to book the morning flight.

Now I know why. :lol:

And who's the MW member, if I might ask? :)

S V Choong from MEL...

S V Choong from MEL...

Yes, Pieter! EK409 was diverted to PEN due to heavy showers in KUL on 24 October 2010. Our flight circulated for around 5 or 6 times before the Captain annouced that we are heading to PEN for a refuel. Once arrived, we remained at our aircraft for half an hour or so before the Captain announced we are heading towards KUL.

Here are some evidence :) Did anyone managed to catch a photo or a glimpse of our flight in PEN?

S-IMG_0681.jpg

S-IMG_0686.jpg

S-IMG_0687.jpg

Did anyone managed to catch a photo or a glimpse of our flight in PEN?

See post #63 ;)

and...............don't forget to adjust your signature... :pardon:

Not too sure what it was doing there, but I did see quite a number of ground crews (yellow uniform, KLAS?) gathering at departure hall gate 6 area.

Yes and they came onboard and conducted visual inspection on us. Surprisingly one or two staff members were wearing CX uniform. I approached one of them and told her about my connecting flight with CX. She told me to speak to the CX staff in KUL once arrived and they should be able to transfer me across to another flight. Fortunately I have factored in a few hours for such error and I didn't miss my CX flight.

However the drama didn't end there during my journey to SHA. Arrived in HKG and it was foggy, visibility was less than 8km. On my flight from SZX to SHA, it was a rainy day in Shanghai and visibility was poor too, as a result we had delayed take off and a longer than usual low flying prepared for landing mode the pilot to locate the airport. I was rather worried and wondered why the pilot didn't opt for diversion!

C.Lee, thanks for the photo, although it didn't display on my screen initially. I can see the photo now. I was on the other side of the a/c, so I couldn't wave at you :) Aircraft was a Boeing 777-300ER registration A6-EBG.

Although I have been to Penang a few times, but I have never used the airport before. This came as a pleasant surprise though.

Edited by S V Choong