MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin P K

Engine struck while taxiing

My first flight with MH in a very very long time...and to sum it up, a bit underwhelming. Maybe it's the tired-looking plane, or perhaps it's the rather unfriendly stewardess who never mustered a smile. But I'm not sure if I will switch from SQ to MH despite the Enrich's recent 'enrichment'.

THAT aside, this topic is to discuss the above. As we taxiing towards the gate, suddenly we just stopped and then after 20 minutes, everyone started to realise that the plane had struck something.

4209148982_32d987bf54_b.jpg

9M-MPN is delayed until 2100z (normal departure 1100z), and is parked on E-buffer at AMS; no doubt, 'they' want to check the engine carefully first... :blink:

Eeuww....very expensive mistake...

That one F/O should be monitored closely before...

Don't understand you point. But that seems to be a cart at the wrong place. Btw, FO wouldn't have seen it. Its not like they have a rear view mirror.

Don't understand you point. But that seems to be a cart at the wrong place. Btw, FO wouldn't have seen it. Its not like they have a rear view mirror.

I've checked with my pilot friend who does 747 and confirmed that it's a grave error from the FO, but having said that, due to snow, perhaps the lines are a bit unclear.

9M-MPN still 'wounded' at Schiphol and no activity around the plane (24dec09-1300lt)...

OMG!OMG!..thats what I would have said...if the jumbo taxies strictly on the taxiway centerline and within its sterile area,then that cart is not supposed to be there in the first place!!Probably with a combination of the wintery weather plus dim lighting,makes the cart not very visible?

Presumably they disembark everyone. Did they put you in hotel or worst...ask everyone to wait inside lounge without knowing when they'll depart or what's going on?

The 2nd situation happened to me 15years ago with MH from LHR-KUL. At that time, there were 2 daily flights from LHR. Mine was supposed to depart LHR in the morning. Poor communication and handling from MH ground staff...no announcement and was told to wait and..wait. And they silently moved everyone to the night flight 12hrs later, without giving any support like meals or accommodation.

I've checked with my pilot friend who does 747 and confirmed that it's a grave error from the FO, but having said that, due to snow, perhaps the lines are a bit unclear.

...its politically incorrect and dangerous to blame someone without facts at hand.For your info, AMS for one has one of the tightest spot to park (other than LHR) and has been snowed in for days (so has most part of continental europe)and coupled with enveloping mist during the said period..it is the duty of the ground crew (of the Dutch kind) to ensure the docking path is clear of 'obstacles' ,and bluntly put the carts were not within their borders and thats a fact..having the apron covered in snow wasn't a good enuf reason for the ground crew the assure where the 'protected areas' were before parking their equipment...there were FOUR guys looking out in the cockpit and none saw the 'conflict' ,and you can quote that to ur pilot friend.

Yes, that might be the case if it was stuck during push back. But if it was taxiing to the gate, then the FO should be the one "navigating" the aircraft with the greatest of care!

It's hard to tell who's at fault from the picture. This incident shows that the challenge of handling a plane doesn't end at landing but instead until engine is shutdown.

...its politically incorrect and dangerous to blame someone without facts at hand.For your info, AMS for one has one of the tightest spot to park (other than LHR) and has been snowed in for days (so has most part of continental europe)and coupled with enveloping mist during the said period..it is the duty of the ground crew (of the Dutch kind) to ensure the docking path is clear of 'obstacles' ,and bluntly put the carts were not within their borders and thats a fact..having the apron covered in snow wasn't a good enuf reason for the ground crew the assure where the 'protected areas' were before parking their equipment...there were FOUR guys looking out in the cockpit and none saw the 'conflict' ,and you can quote that to ur pilot friend.

Politically or not, it is STILL the responsibility of the pilot or pilots (whoever's in charge of looking to ensure the path is clear) to ensure the plane is taxi-ed properly, even though ground crew is at fault.

Follow me truck is more for low visibility condition rather than heavy snow.

Hmmm interesting - isn't heavy snow also low visibility? Isn't snow on the apron that is not properly cleared obliterating the apron markings a case of low visibility too?

Interesting read (news + the thread messages).

Agree with Denny and Edwin on their points-

1. Pilots could have at least asked for Follow Me vehicle assistance. Or could it be an ego issue...? :pardon:

2. Pilots decided to proceed with taxiing the aircraft. Doesn't matter if it's low-vis, cart in the wrong spot, ground crew didn't do their job properly or what not. You run into foreign objects whilst the ship is under your command, your fault. B) After accepting those facts, we revisit the situation not to determine who's fault it really was, but rather how the case developed, and how we can avoid the same thing happening in future.

Interesting read (news + the thread messages).

Agree with Denny and Edwin on their points-

1. Pilots could have at least asked for Follow Me vehicle assistance. Or could it be an ego issue...? :pardon:

2. Pilots decided to proceed with taxiing the aircraft. Doesn't matter if it's low-vis, cart in the wrong spot, ground crew didn't do their job properly or what not. You run into foreign objects whilst the ship is under your command, your fault. B) After accepting those facts, we revisit the situation not to determine who's fault it really was, but rather how the case developed, and how we can avoid the same thing happening in future.

Nothing official from the company yet, but I'm sure investigation is in progress.

1. Haven't been to AMS for about a decade, but I don't think AMS is a "follow-me-vehicle" airport. That means if you ask for one, it will take a long time to arrive.

2. Pilots taxi following the taxiline guide. Deviate from it and hit something, then it is definitely the pilot's fault.

3. Hit something while following the taxi line, especially at the beginning of taxi, and you should be asking why the foreign object is at the place it shouldn't be in the first place, and why it wasn't noticed by the ground crew.

Ego? Think again.

it seems like #4 engine? what is the distance from the wingtip? too far deviate from centerline??

or to far placing the carts?

Saw this in The Star paper today. RM50 winner. Congrats Edwin! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The Star

Hehe, yeah, saw it on ebrowse yesterday, was surprised to see it appear.

On second thought, it may not go down well with Malaysia Airlines ... the last thing they need is for it appear on the papers. But at least this will bring the issue up and ensure MH or the Schipol ground staff take extra precaution next time.