MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

Well, 2 A332F are in hangar 5 as per today, with reg. 9M-MUC & -MUD while at the same time 744F 9M-MPR is in hangar 6. I guess MAB gonna keep 2 A332F to keep their cargo ops alive.

Does MUC still have the "Operated by Turkish Airlines" sticker on it?

Sad to hear that one of A332F , 9M-MUC are in process of being deep check and prepared to be deliver to buyer.

I guess we need to bite the bullet one way or the other. Freighter industry is in doldrums for past decade and showing no sign of improvement. MASKargo can't compete with biggies like KE Cargo, CX Cargo or SQ Cargo. Not cost effectively at all, better offload now before the second hand market is flooded with used planes.

Is that the one that spend most of its flying time with Turkish?

I guess we need to bite the bullet one way or the other. Freighter industry is in doldrums for past decade and showing no sign of improvement. MASKargo can't compete with biggies like KE Cargo, CX Cargo or SQ Cargo. Not cost effectively at all, better offload now before the second hand market is flooded with used planes.

Years ago, maskargo was a major player in air freight business.

Years ago, the Malaysia Airlines group was a major player in world airline business. They flew to all continents except Antartica. They also had the biggest number of B737 outside of the USA. MH was really a world-class airline back then.

Of course, things are very different now.

MAS was the largest airline in SEA during the 90s flying to every continent. Those were the glory days. Now it's nothing but a shell of itself. I still think CM managed to completely screw up MAS so that it is effectively eliminated from the Kangaroo route. Again, their North-South connection strategy is flawed. Multiple Chinese carriers are flying directly point to point and even CX is now feeling the strain. How is MH going to get a share with such cut throat competition in a market which has loss faith in MH after the disappearance of MH370, and worse, the shoddy mismanagement of that disaster?

I think his move to EK was either badly timed or very suspicious. I think the latter is more likely.

I'm really struggling to get to terms of the years of mismanagement and abuse of a wonderful airline with highly prized pilots and crew. I think I should just hoping cos it ain't gonna happen now. Sometimes I feel we should just wrap up this operation like Sabrina and Swissair and start again.

Edited by Izanee

There was a time too, where MAS MRO is the best in the region. Even aircraft from far continents came for maintenance here. Nowadays, the capabilities and power for approval are slowly losing.

MH was hardly making any operating profits in those "glory" years, with any net profit coming largely from aircraft disposals. Profitability was of secondary concern then

MH was hardly making any operating profits in those "glory" years, with any net profit coming largely from aircraft disposals. Profitability was of secondary concern then

Don't forget those few quarters of record profitability in midst of the brilliant WAU initiative

"Widespread Asset Unbundling" - as the name implied, even grandma was available if the price is right :D

I think that MASKargo is suffering because of the general downturn in the air freight industry. Many companies, in their bid to slash operating costs, have moved their cargoes from the air to the sea. So MASKargo just need to right size its business to appropriate levels. Co-operating with cargo airlines like Silkway West is another way to reduce costs.

Yep. This.

In those days, PM Mahatir wanted to show off - MH was a project to boost national pride and prestige. His crony, TR, was roped in to execute his grand vision. That probably overstretched MH and was the beginning of the end for MH.

Oh well, we can only bite the bullet or whatever is left........ Ai ya, why you all sidetrack so much lah....come back to main topic......

Coming back to A330-300, PB has mentioned they are looking for more A333. Any reason why he doesn't cut a deal with Airbus to take back the A380 and take some new A333 instead?

Edited by JuliusWong

Oh well, we can only bite the bullet or whatever is left........ Ai ya, why you all sidetrack so much lah....come back to main topic......

Coming back to A330-300, PB has mentioned they are looking for more A333. Any reason why he doesn't cut a deal with Airbus to take back the A380 and take some new A333 instead?

Probably Airbus wouldn't take them. That would not look good on the long-term viability of the A380.

PB isn't just looking for any A330-300, he wants them with PW engines. Most of the available ones either have RR or GE engines.

MAB does not own the A380, so I am not sure if PB is authorised to make deals with Airbus involving part-exchanges for the A380.

During that time, the KUL-SINvv route was operationally, the most profitable route for MH. LHR was further down the list.

Of course this was way before AK and the ME3...

Sad to hear that one of A332F , 9M-MUC are in process of being deep check and prepared to be deliver to buyer.

30074593714_5bb1e16631_c.jpg

I am not so sure if there is a buyer - it now looks like it is in storage.