MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

Good that they are now using new aircraft on the Australian routes but those business class seats on the A333 need to be fully flat for MH to be truly competitive in this market!

i recently flew to Delhi in economy, it was FULL! i think the new A330 and A380 is really an advantage to attract pax and compete with another airlines. maybe MH should consider to introduce 2 x A330 to main cities in asia eg. Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Dhaka, Guangzhou, Taipei, Kunming, Seoul, and Dubai.

i recently flew to Delhi in economy, it was FULL! i think the new A330 and A380 is really an advantage to attract pax and compete with another airlines. maybe MH should consider to introduce 2 x A330 to main cities in asia eg. Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Dhaka, Guangzhou, Taipei, Kunming, Seoul, and Dubai.

On many of MH routes, 738 is too small but A33E and 772 are too big for daily service. What MH need is an aircraft type to fit between 738 and A33E to optimize load.

On many of MH routes, 738 is too small but A33E and 772 are too big for daily service. What MH need is an aircraft type to fit between 738 and A33E to optimize load.

767??

Alternatively, MH can increase flight frequencies using the B738. That is what a lot of airlines are doing. Increasing frequencies also provide travellers with more flexible schedules.

but the flight to delhi was 100% occupation, even when i checked 2 weeks from my date of departure, it was only 4 seats left.

the gap between A330 and 738 is not really a problem, MH can combine both fleet, for example for flight to Delhi, MH has 1 daily A330 and 1 daily 738.

Edited by fenandri

MH also carries more Y passengers in 2x 738 flights than than a single A330 (288 vs. 247). I wonder if MH will ever exercise their A330 options for more aircraft.

B737-900ER or Airbus A321?

but the flight to delhi was 100% occupation, even when i checked 2 weeks from my date of departure, it was only 4 seats left.

the gap between A330 and 738 is not really a problem, MH can combine both fleet, for example for flight to Delhi, MH has 1 daily A330 and 1 daily 738.

Even with the increased frequencies, I am finding more and more difficult to book seats on regional MH flights, ie the ones using 738s, as they all seem to be full these days. It would be good, as fenandri suggests, to have a mix of A330 and 783s on routes, with the A330 being used for the popular timings, eg morning flights which are often used by business travelers

I think the A330s during popular timings are being dispatched on routes longer than what a 738 can normally do e.g. MEL, SYD, KIX, PVG, PEK, etc so A330 on regional routes on popular timings are out of the question.

I think the A330s during popular timings are being dispatched on routes longer than what a 738 can normally do e.g. MEL, SYD, KIX, PVG, PEK, etc so A330 on regional routes on popular timings are out of the question.

I suppose its a good problem for MH to have, ie high loadings, but what worries me is that I might have to fly Air Asia if I can't get seats on MH!

yeah hopefully with more A330 coming, they can be dispatched to more regional routes. i know this is OOT since its MH's A380 thread.

and also, i hope MH rethink their fleet plan, using the options to order 737-700 and A330-200HGW. both of them have smaller capacities and longer range, its perfectly suites for routes to karachi, ahmedabad, guillin, hangzhou, fukuoka, nagoya, chengdu, kolkata, bandung, surabaya etc.

Edited by fenandri

and also, i hope MH rethink their fleet plan, using the options to order 737-700 and A330-200HGW. both of them have smaller capacities and longer range, its perfectly suites for routes to karachi, ahmedabad, guillin, hangzhou, fukuoka, nagoya, chengdu, kolkata, bandung, surabaya etc.

I rather hope the Aircraft Trading department think instead of the 737MAX instead. Since the company is be behind the curve in terms of the long haul fleet it should strive to be ahead of the curve for the short haul fleet.

I suppose its a good problem for MH to have, ie high loadings, but what worries me is that I might have to fly Air Asia if I can't get seats on MH!

LCCT is really in a bad condition right now, except for the air conditioner which still works very good. but what makes me scared, is when KLIA2 will overshadow KLIA.

10 yrs ago, KLIA was pretty spectacular. but right now, its nothing compare to Delhi, Suvarnabhumi, T3 Changi. The temperature in the terminal is hot, AC was working, but still hot on sunny days, Toilet is dirrty, and what about with this trashy kampong lamp thing they put all over the terminal? the rainforest walk is also not being maintained seriously, some of the sofa around the TV corner are already in a bad condition. the maintenance is sucks.

even delhi airport has a much better prayer room than KLIA, that is embarassing.

Edited by fenandri

LCCT is really in a bad condition right now, except for the air conditioner which still works very good. but what makes me scared, is when KLIA2 will overshadow KLIA.

10 yrs ago, KLIA was pretty spectacular. but right now, its nothing compare to Delhi, Suvarnabhumi, T3 Changi. The temperature in the terminal is hot, AC was working, but still hot on sunny days, Toilet is dirrty, and what about with this trashy kampong lamp thing they put all over the terminal? the rainforest walk is also not being maintained seriously, some of the sofa around the TV corner are already in a bad condition. the maintenance is sucks.

even delhi airport has a much better prayer room than KLIA, that is embarassing.

It's very typical of Malaysia. All the major buildings look good on day one, but maintenance schedule seems like an alien concept in this country.

A330-300 review KUL-BNE vv Sep-Oct 2013, J Class

There have been heaps of reviews since these aircraft were launched in April 2011, with Brisbane as its first launch destination.

We flew with MH shortly after the launch, and did two return trips in 2011, but were left wondering "what if" - so much more potential, so much more that could be done.

Come 2012, I decided to give D7 a try in their PremiumXL, and the seats were every bit as good as those on the B772 and B744 (old) aircraft that MH are retiring (aka BE Aerospace 171-degree recline seats).

Thought I'd give MH another go in 2013, as there was a special fare in conjunction with Hari Raya Adilfitri, making the price more in-line with that of D7. Was this being optimistic with a Five-Star Airline with Six-Star Hospitality?

KUL-BNE MH135 26-Sep-2013

• Check-in facilities: I thought these had been revamped about 2-3 years ago, they look different again at KLIA. Indifferent check-in staff at Business counter, never greeted nor acknowledged us as passengers. It was all "matter of fact-ish", neither warmth nor sincerity. Look at monitor, scowl at monitor, look at passport, look at paperwork, don't look and smile at passengers. C'mon, we're not "Medusa" - a look and smile at us isn't going to turn you into stone!

• Golden Lounge (Satellite), Business: While the seats have been updated, it seems a whole lot more densely seated. No more table service for their congee/noodles - unlike previously, the staff would ask where you were seated and bring you the dish when ready. What was worst was their housekeeping - the aluminium window ledge for their panoramic windows had dust bunnies, debris and dead leaves (!). Does anyone do any inspection of the standard of cleaning, or do the cleaning staff just do as they please? Carpet also very dirty - I know it's always busy in there, but you can always use a mechanical carpet sweeper to give a little touch-up during the day, and a thorough clean at night.

• Aircraft: While the general condition of the J cabin was quite good, what had deteriorated was the standard of housekeeping. I always make it a policy to check the armrests, seat control panel etc., so after the wet towels were handed out and I'd wiped my hands, I always "test" those panels. Ugh! Dirty, dirty, dirty! Especially the grey leather armrest - a whole layer of grey grime just came away. Maybe the laundry staff will think a coal miner cleaned his face on the wet towel! All it needed was a mild leather-friendly detergent and protectant spray - a good wipe and elbow grease - to get it clean. And this was seat 1A (not that I was any kind of VIP), but you'd think this seat that is usually reserved for "Datuk-Datin" would be immaculately clean. The airplane toilet had grime near the mini flower vase (next to the toiletries), and on closer inspection, was the slimy-mouldy type near the mounting on the wall panel. Yucks!

• Brunch: I thought I'd try their book-the-chef, opting for the "Lamb Shank". While it was quite tender, it wasn't cooked with wine for reasons that the food has to be Halal - completely understand and agree with that. But in its place, it needed to have more herbs and flavourings added, as food often tastes bland in the air, compared to sea level. Sure, the rosemary sprig looked nice lying on top as a garnish, but I'd rather have the flavour in the sauce!! Dessert was some kind of stodgy pudding - took two bites and that was it, not nice!

• Seat Comfort: Two years of "bums on seats" didn't seem to soften up those cushions! The Recaro seats were as firm as ever, and the feeling you're giving yourself a "wedgie" still hasn't gone away, thanks to the steeply raked flat-bed. Thanks to my own earplugs and the fact I only had three hours sleep the night before, I did have a good daytime snooze.

KUL-BNE MH134 8-Oct-2013

• Check-in facilities: BNE staff accepted four of the five items between us (total of 81 kg), but the oversized box had to be brought over to the oversize baggage drop. MH staff didn't stick a priority tag, so I had to go back and get one and stick it on the box myself. Amazed at the attitude of the fellow manning the oversized baggage, as to whether a priority tag would speed baggage collection, he seemed to think these meant nothing so shrugged his shoulders. Then the check-in agent forgot to give us the lounge passes and express customs passes, and had to come running after us.

• QANTAS Lounge: The food has improved quite a bit since I can't remember when - once the BNE Golden Lounge closed and one was shunted to the Qantas lounge, it seemed like "slim pickings" and "dieters delight". At least the offerings were edible and the soup was hot.

• Aircraft: After our experience on the outbound to Brisbane flight, I knew the plane would probably be still just as dirty. I managed to get the attention of one of the stewardesses, showed her the clean wet towel, then lightly wiped the armrest. Black!! Ditto for the side walls - there were marks/stains on the wall panel, that came off merely with a gentle wipe, no detergent needed. This clearly showed that the housekeeping was simply careless. Lifting up the velcro-attached seat pan cushion, there was all kinds of debris down there including toothpicks, crumbs, serviettes, wrappers - it seemed like one day an expert could do an "archeological dig" and just discover what kinds of foods were served in the plane. All the crevices and gaps on the seat had dust or crumbs, and looked as if hadn't been cleaned since the plane was delivered. Yes, those nooks and crannies are not easily accessible, but if the passenger can see through the gap, then it must be cleaned somehow.

• Breakfast: I thought I'd try their "Trio Grill" (Mixed Grill), but it turned out tough and dry. I'm sure the meat purchased was fine, but somewhere between initial cooking and reheating, something had gone rather wrong. Very disappointing for another "Chef On Call" meal (I called that the "Chef On Leave" meal, where untrained kitchen staff just bashed it together).

• Seat Comfort: An overnight flight is where a non total lie-flat seat really doesn't cut the mustard - a totally wasted opportunity to bring the airline up to date and deliver better J seats than their previous B772 and B744 aircraft. So, the revamp in 2005 (marketed as "An Experience Redefined") and 2011 (for the new A333) results in the same type of seat, except for the seat manufacturer. Six years down the track and no better? What were they thinking?!

• Cabin Crew: The crew were very mechanical and went through the motions without any emotion. We are always polite passengers and treat cabin crew like we would like to be treated, so when we say "Thank you", shouldn't the crew say something in return? No, nothing, on a number of occasions, when they took dishes away. Ditto when serving. Hint: here's some phrases you can use: "Here's the .... hope you enjoy it" or, "Did you enjoy that? Is there something else I can get you?". No, they were silent, seemingly unwilling and unhappy to be there. There was no spark, nor initiative, nor warmth, nor sincerity from the heart (that supposed last bastion of MH hospitality) on that flight - I got the distinct vibe that once MH lost the "Best Cabin Crew" status, they gave up and weren't going to try to regain that award. Nor did I sense any fighting spirit and earnestness to regain that award. And at this rate, are they likely to ever see that award again...

Overall feeling? Supposed to be a five-star airline? All I can say is one can only hang on to one's laurels for a period, coast on built-up goodwill, then the rest is based on current performance. Don't be surprised to see a downgrade, given the product and service.

Postscript: Was sent a survey from the "VP Products and Services, Commercial Division" post-flight asking about 6-star Hospitality. Firstly, the survey wasn't open for responses from SurveyMonkey, so that fell down at the first hurdle. After asking MH to re-open the survey, I got some kind of mealy-mouthed response why the survey wasn't active, something to do with the selection of names blah, blah, blah. None of the questions were even the Net Promoter Score type, the sort that tells you whether your customers are going to recommend your product and as a predictor of future growth. Really surprised that they don't use this type of questionnaire, so all I can surmise is maybe they want to do a survey, but don't really want the customers to tell them what they REALLY think, just the sort of answers that they'd like to see so they get their performance bonus!

Well MAS will grow for a bit, but once the novelty of joining one world has worn off and especially with the s#1t services on board, people will start using other carriers like QR or CX, even go with SQ, TG and EK again

Well MAS will grow for a bit, but once the novelty of joining one world has worn off and especially with the s#1t services on board, people will start using other carriers like QR or CX, even go with SQ, TG and EK again

Yes, they have gone a long long way from their "Best Cabin Crew" days... :(

MH really needs to expand their Asia Pacific network if they are to take full advantage of oneworld.

Evening all,

I didn't know where to put this question, thought this might be closest to find an answer....

Does anyone know what the current situation of 9M-MTO is at the moment. It has not visited Australia or seemed to have flown for quite some time. Is it in storage or Withdrawn from use?

Evening all,

I didn't know where to put this question, thought this might be closest to find an answer....

Does anyone know what the current situation of 9M-MTO is at the moment. It has not visited Australia or seemed to have flown for quite some time. Is it in storage or Withdrawn from use?

Perhaps current situation of 9M-MNC as well...

Evening all,

9M-MTO back in service to what looks like to cover some of the extra services that Australia are getting for the summer. Melbourne and Sydney back to 3 daily on certain dates.

It's been going on for awhile now. 9M-MUC had a small "Operated by Turkish Airlines" sticker near the door.

It's been going on for awhile now. 9M-MUC had a small "Operated by Turkish Airlines" sticker near the door.

Looks like it is on long term lease to them. TK are also taking factory fresh builds of the A332F from Airbus.