MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

There's a video on Youtube showing IFE on MH 738s. I think it's quite quick to browse through the channel, but to load the movie, there's a split second delay. I heard SQ new Krisworld is also troublesome, has to reboot a few times.

SQ's Krisworld sometimes must be rebooted which will affect a whole row of seats and takes almost half an hour sometimes. Would say it has affected 10-20% of my flights. Combination of that and lack of new movies to watch means that I now usually read a book and for my next trip, movies on my iPad2.

That's why I think the culture of not paying attention to details is well ingrained in MH.

I believe theyre merely in transition between 'newbrand' and 'oldbrand'. There's bound to be transition period in all rebranding exercises (see DL NW, UA CO, AC, JL, etc etc etc) where during this period, some will have old brand and some will have new.

This is nothing new. Sure, they can probably accelerate some of the rebranding to be more uniformed accross the board but you and me both don't know the exact transition roadmap (unless of course, youre part of MH or formerly)

Well, that's your opinion, albeit an incorrect one if you know the whole story.

This lack of attention to details is not something that need a genius to point it out. This issue is like a cancer that has been plaguing MH for years. Point blank, lack of attention to details is obvious in so many subjects which relate to MH - the website, Enrich et al. We have mega threads ranting about them in this forum.

We understand MH apologists' point of views but we are talking about very tiny and petty matters here that MH seems to can not get them right.

This lack of attention to details is not something that need a genius to point it out. This issue is like a cancer that has been plaguing MH for years. Point blank, lack of attention to details is obvious in so many subjects which relate to MH - the website, Enrich et al. We have mega threads ranting about it in this forum.

We understand MH apologists' point of views but we are talking about very tiny and petty matters here that MH seems to can not get them right.

Well, like I said, you don't know the whole story. My advice is just wait and see.

Agreed. its tiny and petty.

I believe theyre merely in transition between 'newbrand' and 'oldbrand'. There's bound to be transition period in all rebranding exercises (see DL NW, UA CO, AC, JL, etc etc etc) where during this period, some will have old brand and some will have new.

does it make sense? not to the untrained eye, but each reprinting of article and repainting of aircraft brings about extra cost and downtime and for some aircraft (the ones going back to lessor) its better to leave as is until you have to paint the lady all white for lease return. Same goes with safety cards and brochures. do in stages, and soon itll all come about.

This is nothing new. Sure, they can probably accelerate some of the rebranding to be more uniformed accross the board but you and me both don't know the exact transition roadmap (unless of course, youre part of MH or formerly) :)

my 2 cents...

I'm quite aware of the transition between old and new. But my examples are specific where new things need to be (& have been) produced. Examples are the advertisements in the print media where you have the new plane and its cabin products, but old typeface. New A330 safety card produced specifically for the -MT series with a new design - but with old typeface. And, these are just some of examples where they are the many tips of the iceberg where MH's culture is never pay attention to details.

This lack of attention to details is not something that need a genius to point it out. This issue is like a cancer that has been plaguing MH for years. Point blank, lack of attention to details is obvious in so many subjects which relate to MH - the website, Enrich et al. We have mega threads ranting about them in this forum.

I can give you a list of annoying things that from a customer's point of view just shows a lack of focus by MH on the details which do affect the customer (and they dont cost much money to rectify, if at all). But this will be OT and not necessarily have anything to do with -MTA. The ineptitude is the culture and probably takes a generation to get rid of. SOme smarty pants will say, why dont you complain to MH? Been there, done that. Either it ends up as a frustrating experience where nobody will take any action or even react to it (maybe nobody cares?) or even if they do, it gets repeated once again as it's never part of the corporate DNA to focus on the finer details.

Well, like I said, you don't know the whole story. My advice is just wait and see.

Since you made 2 attempts to show that you knew the whole story, why don't you share it with us here. No point arguing without supporting it with facts and figures. Setakat claim 'I know it because I know it' macam tu siapa2 pun boleh buat.

Agreed. its tiny and petty.

Which leads to the concern among us customers that even if benda yang tiny and petty macam tu pun can not get it right, benda yang major major lagilah hancur dan melingkup.

Since you made 2 attempts to show that you knew the whole story, why don't you share it with us here. No point arguing without supporting it with facts and figures. Setakat claim 'I know it because I know it' macam tu siapa2 pun boleh buat.

I'm not sure if what I know could cross the line towards confidential info but what I can tell you is that there are heated discussions on this issue. MH staff aren't all lazy bums you know. But when you're fighting with one hand tied behind your back, the challenge to win will be harder. If it wasn't for confidentiality I'd spill the beans, but I value my job. You can snort all you want.

But I can tell you this, if you think MH's this lumbering giant who can't fail thanks to government intervention, you're wrong. If you think AK's an underdog being blocked by the big guys, you're wrong.

This is now way OT.

Which leads to the concern among us customers that even if benda yang tiny and petty macam tu pun can not get it right, benda yang major major lagilah hancur dan melingkup.

Your attack on Suhaimi is rather juvenile. He's merely trying to hint to you that there's more to it rather than just surface level discrepancies that you nitpickers find with all your god given time. But rather than respect his pov, you belittle his knowledge and try to corner him into giving out confidential info. Nobody owes you an explanation here.

If you think petty things are a sign of major things 'hancur and melingkup', I'm sorry to hear that. rather naive of you to think so, given all your knowledge in other aviation threads. we can sit down here and discuss how SQ have some branding discrepancies during their 'small brand livery' to 'large brand livery' and how some images with small livery are still in use today (look thru the website) OR we can also discuss how UA logo are still in mixed usage today (in some star alliance a/c) rather than a full transition to the CO globe. Theres more examples everywhere, can go all day baby.

But those, like you said, are petty and small. Would they indicate that the company is doomed and hancur,melingkup? You're entitled to your opinion but its pretty disappointing that someone with your knowledge generalizes merely with minor and petty indications. Sometimes, there's more to it than just your assumptions and internet research you know...

OT. Lets end this, as it truly is, petty and small. Sorry if my 2 cents have been offensive :drinks:

Your attack on Suhaimi is rather juvenile. He's merely trying to hint to you that there's more to it rather than just surface level discrepancies that you nitpickers find with all your god given time. But rather than respect his pov, you belittle his knowledge and try to corner him into giving out confidential info. Nobody owes you an explanation here.

If you think petty things are a sign of major things 'hancur and melingkup', I'm sorry to hear that. rather naive of you to think so, given all your knowledge in other aviation threads.

But those, like you said, are petty and small. Would they indicate that the company is doomed and hancur,melingkup? You're entitled to your opinion but its pretty disappointing that someone with your knowledge generalizes merely with minor and petty indications. Sometimes, there's more to it than just your assumptions and internet research you know.

There are a lot of MH (and FY) employees being a member of this forum. The majority of them especially those who make their positions in the company known to everyone rather keep tight with the code of silence that the company imposes to them. There are also a few who might be a little bit adventurous and have been leaking confidential infos to this forum through the MH Rumour Department. However, so far I encountered 2 members who seemed to be working with the company because of their remark of 'I know it because I know it' while trying to explain their point. I mean no disrespect but if you are going to make such remark, might as well you just keep it to yourself because it has 0 input value into the discussion rather than (in my opinion) a weak attempt to gain a little personal attention. No body owes me an explanation anyway so why bother.

I am being quite honest when addressing the point of petty things are a sign of major things 'hancur and melingkup'. Keeping the petty things aside, when seeing MH as a business organisation, outstanding events that come into my mind are the Tajuddin Ramli scandal, the record billion Ringgit loss, the asset unbundling exercise, PMB with vague financial disclosures, the business turnaround plans, profits derived from sales of PPEs (and at present derivatives) and not from operation, late business decision makings, purchase of aircrafts (A380) not because of solid business plan but rather for prestige, flying to unprofitable destinations for (again) prestige, foreign CON-sultans rejected by other airlines in the West but landed a plum job with MH, the 3 million Ringgit painting scandal, the Chairman's freeloading-London-3 times a week-tapau-Dom Perignon scandal et al. I mean, the negative outweights the positive and those are reported events that signify hancur and melingkup that happened within MH in the past that stick in the mind of customers like me.

You made a remark about my knowledge twice, but I hope you are aware that my comments are made based on my growing knowledge and experience. I went from the typical yuppy who would 'Yay, MH is the best in the world', '5 star going beyond expectation', flying MH every other week circa 2003/4 to my current state where I have not been a revenue MH passenger since 8 December 2008 and divest from Enrich to 3 other foreign FFPs.

My main point with the remark of petty thing hancur melingkup is simply that typical customers do not know what is happening inside the airline. So it will benefit the airline tremendously if it can perfects the petty and tiny things that are apparent to the passengers as it will translate into a certain positive imagery of the airline as a whole from the customers' point of view.

There are a lot of MH (and FY) employees being a member of this forum. The majority of them especially those who make their positions in the company known to everyone rather keep tight with the code of silence that the company imposes to them. There are also a few who might be a little bit adventurous and have been leaking confidential infos to this forum through the MH Rumour Department. However, so far I encountered 2 members who seemed to be working with the company because of their remark of 'I know it because I know it' while trying to explain their point. I mean no disrespect but if you are going to make such remark, might as well you just keep it to yourself because it has 0 input value into the discussion rather than (in my opinion) a weak attempt to gain a little personal attention. No body owes me an explanation anyway so why bother.

I am being quite honest when addressing the point of petty things are a sign of major things 'hancur and melingkup'. Keeping the petty things aside, when seeing MH as a business organisation, outstanding events that come into my mind are the Tajuddin Ramli scandal, the record billion Ringgit loss, the asset unbundling exercise, PMB with vague financial disclosures, the business turnaround plans, profits derived from sales of PPEs (and at present derivatives) and not from operation, late business decision makings, purchase of aircrafts (A380) not because of solid business plan but rather for prestige, flying to unprofitable destinations for (again) prestige, foreign CON-sultans rejected by other airlines in the West but landed a plum job with MH, the 3 million Ringgit painting scandal, the Chairman's freeloading-London-3 times a week-tapau-Dom Perignon scandal et al. I mean, the negative outweights the positive and those are reported events that signify hancur and melingkup that happened within MH in the past that stick in the mind of customers like me.

You made a remark about my knowledge twice, but I hope you are aware that my comments are made based on my growing knowledge and experience. I went from the typical yuppy who would 'Yay, MH is the best in the world', '5 star going beyond expectation', flying MH every other week circa 2003/4 to my current state where I have not been a revenue MH passenger since 8 December 2008 and divest from Enrich to 3 other foreign FFPs.

My main point with the remark of petty thing hancur melingkup is simply that typical customers do not know what is happening inside the airline. So it will benefit the airline tremendously if it can perfects the petty and tiny things that are apparent to the passengers as it will translate into a certain positive imagery of the airline as a whole from the customers' point of view.

I fully agree with this.

Edited by jadivindra

As much as I would like to explain, my name is out in the open. Is the name of the members of your Rumour Department out in the open? All I'm saying is don't simply assume things, always have the benefit of the doubt especially if you don't have the bigger picture. I don't need personal attention from anyone here.

But now you know that it's not easy to get things done, especially with your hands tied behind your back by the Government who meddles in things they don't know. If a simple change of typeface on the logo requires top approval from PM, think it's easy to get approval? Just because it's on the airplane doesn't mean it's already approved. Just because the safety card on the A333 uses the old typeface doesn't mean they don't care about branding.

I'm not saying MH is immune from criticism, but the way many people here nitpick borders on insulting. Especially when they don't know the full story.

But now you know that it's not easy to get things done, especially with your hands tied behind your back by the Government who meddles in things they don't know. If a simple change of typeface on the logo requires top approval from PM, think it's easy to get approval? Just because it's on the airplane doesn't mean it's already approved. Just because the safety card on the A333 uses the old typeface doesn't mean they don't care about branding.

I'm not saying MH is immune from criticism, but the way many people here nitpick borders on insulting. Especially when they don't know the full story.

Suhaimi, I understand what your trying to say and so does everyone, but I think what people are trying to get at is the response time. Its sickening to have to wait so long just for things to get done. I understand when you say you need to get this approval and that approval from the Government etc but it comes to a point where people just start to get fed up with poor and stupid decisions. A look at the new C class on the A330 for example, they had all the time in the world to deliver something that would make the people go WOW but instead the Y class was the one that more or less got the WOW factor. Just trying to share a different point of view on the matter. That's about it. Didn't mean to offend anyone. :drinks:

Your bitterness towards MAS's legacy issues are baffling :) since most of the issues you mentioned (TR, WAU) are well and behind MAS at the moment, but i digress :)

Yes, you don't have to remind us of your growing 'knowledge and experience' MAR. i think anyone here who reads your news clippings and airport statistics clips from the internet knows exactly of your 'knowledge and experience'. I'm just saying, be more respectful to others, even though you claim they offer 0 value to you with their comments. Sometimes, all they want to do is to hint to you that you're widely off mark. not everything is what it seems you know...

Unless of course, youre very confident that youre never off mark in which case..salut! :drinks:

OT again....sigh

OT:

Frankly, I do not think that all this flaming is really getting us anywhere. We all have our viewpoints about MH and it just shows how many problems there are in that organisation.

To me, MH is not there yet. It has taken many steps backward in the TR era and is still suffering from his actions. A lesser (non GLC) entity would have gone bankrupt.

Looking forward, lets hope that the MH management is serious about achieving their target to be Asia's No 1. But looking at how they currently compare to SQ now, they are still some distance behind. MH should not just be looking at SQ though - there are many up and coming airlines (esp. those from China and India) that may overtake MH in the meantime. So MH must focus on its business segment and not bother about mixing it with LCCs like the AirAsia Group airlines.

Back on topic:

MH seriously needs to address its needs for the next 10 to 15 years. A decision on the next generation of wide bodies is needed soon. The A380 deliveries will mark the beginning of its new aircraft fleet (the current B738 and A333 deliveries replace aircraft that should have been retired years ago) featuring the latest developments in aircraft technologies. MH needs to follow the A380 with the latest gen aircraft. As such, orders for A350/B787 should be finalised this year so that deliveries can begin ASAP, before their existing fleet turn into museum pieces.

Edited by flee

MH seriously needs to address its needs for the next 10 to 15 years. A decision on the next generation of wide bodies is needed soon. The A380 deliveries will mark the beginning of its new aircraft fleet (the current B738 and A333 deliveries replace aircraft that should have been retired years ago) featuring the latest developments in aircraft technologies. MH needs to follow the A380 with the latest gen aircraft. As such, orders for A350/B787 should be finalised this year so that deliveries can begin ASAP, before their existing fleet turn into museum pieces.

Flee, evaluations for the next gen aircraft purchase are actually underway. But they're doing their due diligence very carefully. As you probably know, the 787 in its current form would not meet its performance guarantee. The A350 has yet to fly so no concrete data is available. To rush the purchase just because everyone else is buying it is not good business practice (A380 anyone?). You make a mistake here and it's going to cost you in the long run.

Here's the link about the 787 not meeting its guaranteed specs

So MH must focus on its business segment and not bother about mixing it with LCCs like the AirAsia Group airlines.

That's where FY comes in.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

787-8 will be overweight and the issue will only be resolved in frame 20 and beyond (IIRC) and A350 hasn't gone in shape just yet. MH may also learn from A380 delays to order newly built aircraft. I like to see MH ordering 77W, but maybe it's too big to replace 772-ER.

You make a mistake here and it's going to cost you in the long run.

Agree with you in a way, but, also learning from the A380 experience, there is no harm in ordering early and changing it later. If there are delays you will get some form of compensation, and if you want to delay your deliveries to a later date, plenty of other airlines would love to take your slot. If there is a delay or performance misses, all your competitors will also suffer the same, so there is no difference.

If you don't order at all, you will end up further and further back in the queue. So in the long run, I think it costs nothing to join the queue, but you tend to lose more if you just loiter around and not join the queue until it is very very late.

Flee, evaluations for the next gen aircraft purchase are actually underway. But they're doing their due diligence very carefully. As you probably know, the 787 in its current form would not meet its performance guarantee. The A350 has yet to fly so no concrete data is available. To rush the purchase just because everyone else is buying it is not good business practice (A380 anyone?). You make a mistake here and it's going to cost you in the long run.

Even if 787 and A350 is delayed and not meeting initial design target will still be more efficient than current models e.g. 77W, A33E. Is there alternative for MH?

A look at the new C class on the A330 for example, they had all the time in the world to deliver something that would make the people go WOW but instead the Y class was the one that more or less got the WOW factor.

Still I wonder, what do you expect from a regional C class? You can see I travel regularly on business and as a business class passenger, I cannot think of anything more that I want from the cabin. SQ A330 and 772s new C Class is nice, but nothing wow, and certainly a downgrade from their A380 /77W. Swiss A330 has an innovative cabin with up to 5 across, but not really wow.

I would rather see better ground handling, better flight schedules, better lounges, etc. Virgin executives told me once that they have very little real estate in the air to work with so they concentrate on improving things on the ground. The benefit to the passenger is much higher while costing much less.

I believe we criticized heavily when MH keep deferring the delivery of their A380.

Besides, I think some other well-renown airlines also didn't jump on to the new airframe bandwagon immediately after launch, yet they can be successful.

I believe we criticized heavily when MH keep deferring the delivery of their A380.

Besides, I think some other well-renown airlines also didn't jump on to the new airframe bandwagon immediately after launch, yet they can be successful.

CX comes to mind :D

Agree with you in a way, but, also learning from the A380 experience, there is no harm in ordering early and changing it later. If there are delays you will get some form of compensation, and if you want to delay your deliveries to a later date, plenty of other airlines would love to take your slot. If there is a delay or performance misses, all your competitors will also suffer the same, so there is no difference.

If you don't order at all, you will end up further and further back in the queue. So in the long run, I think it costs nothing to join the queue, but you tend to lose more if you just loiter around and not join the queue until it is very very late.

Absolutely - it is not very nice for MH to be flying antiquated aircraft when its Asian competitors (afterall, it is aiming to be Asia's No 1) are all upgrading to more modern aircraft. MH is suffering on its domestic routes because the economics of the B734 is not competitive against those who operate the B738/A320.

As for the new A333's that are being delivered, MH may be wary of the fact that they should not outshine those on the A380. Although new aircraft like A380/B787 may be delayed or may not meet performance guarantees, there is always a pull factor that attracts passengers. Just look at SQ's A380 flights - almost always full! We don't hear about SQ complaining about their A380's performance at all.

So MH really needs to buckle up and operate more like a commercial enterprise. Remember, if they do their job well, it will be very difficult for the govt. to interfere. It is when you do badly that the politicians will come and dig in with their grubby hands and meddle!

Just look at SQ's A380 flights - almost always full! We don't hear about SQ complaining about their A380's performance at all.

I beg to differ. SQ spent heavily on 'first to fly' campaign and the subsequent multiple delays cost them quite dearly both in terms of reputation and also in terms of advertising spend. Also, word on the scene is that SQ's early msn A380s have failed to meet performance/fuel burn figures earlier promised. Not to mentioned a number of groundings and AOGs due to mechanical problems.

Having worked on the early msn aircraft for a major manufacturer, i also can testify that at least till msn25-50, mechanical/design issues will still be in effect. Design optimization ensures that the subsequent models are better, solving early issues found by the launch customer. In my particular baby, only msn80 is considered mature.

But yes, i agree with you, new a/c does provide the pull factor. But you'd be surprised, sometimes a retrofitted/newly painted aircraft is passed on as 'new aircraft' by maybe 70% of the flying pax. the rest of the 30% detailed nitpickers like us, hard to please unless supremely new lah :drinks:

OT.

Alot of constructive criticism both in this thread and many others. I wonder if anyone from MH particularly those in management actually read all this and put it in use.