MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

To be honest, I did see a couple of photos of the interior via FB. But, i will not show the photos. i will just give a hint > think of Qatar Airways business class.

QR has a few types of biz class seats. The ones on the 77Ws are full flats, & very spacious.

FB huh?

This is the J cabin on QR's A330 fleet.

1227897.jpg

1301774.jpg

1221819.jpg

I think by now we can be 100% sure that the seats:

- are NOT fully flat.

- feature a big PTV that is fixed to the seat infront (except for bulkhead seats).

- are configured as 2-2-2.

- are a me-too product. Nothing revolutionary. QR's product above has been around since 2007 (4 years ago).

Care to tell us the colour scheme? Is it dark blue?

No, it is more towards purple, and it does not look like it is made from leather.

I like the fact that all J pax seem glued to 'Tom & Jerry' :lol:

One even watching it in b&w like we used to :D

Edited by BC Tam

I like the fact that all J pax seem glued to 'Tom & Jerry' :lol:

One even watching it in b&w like we used to :D

Even serious, uptight biz folks do loosen up when onboard QR...must be the service.

Based on the pix, amy I say...MH is now mengecewakan harapan..? or musnah harapan??

However, since day 1,I dun think MH will roll out anything revolutionary as what SQ, EK or Etihad had done over the years. MH tends to use 'follow-others' approach as well. TG is also doing the same now. TG's J class looks cramped based on the seat pitch when all are reclined.

Since there aren't many seat manufacturers, once can deduced how some 'follow-others' airlines cabin will look like. Notable ones are EADS Sogerma, B/E Aerospace, Recaro, Thompson Aero Seating, Weber and Koito (will they survive?)...

I am surprised that most SEA's fleet renewal come about the same time. GA, SQ, MH and TG A333 hop on board almost at the same time. The missing pieces: PAL....

Positive response of MH's new J seats by an A.Net industry insider that I would like to share:

Anyway, I think this is the right way to go. The only regional carrier that's fitting flat beds into their 333 fleet is CX, and they HAVE the yields to support that configuration. MH would never have the same sort of yields out of KUL that CX commands out of HKG. Fitting flat-beds would have meant lower density and if that's not matched by a corresponding hike in yields (difficult when you're based at the home base of AirAsia), translates to an ever weaker bottom line - and we have already seen what exuberance does to MH... Matching the regional players - mind you that includes SQ too - is probably safest. Thinking long term sustainability-wise, I reckon this isn't necessarily 'musnah harapan'.

Apart from J seats, I also want to share (but not the photo) hints about the Economy class in the new aircraft. Certainly, there is a USB port in each seat and individual IFE. Quite similar to the new ones on Boeing 738 Sky Interior. I can't say about whether the seat is fabric or...leather.

From company email:

State-of-the-art cabin offering better seat comfort

· 36 seats in Business Class with an angled flat bed cum seat with wider legroom.

· 247 seats in Economy Class. Seats are light weight and thinner providing a wider legroom.

· Each Business and Economy Class seat has access to an A/C power supply.

· USB port to connect pen drives.

Interior

· LED lighting enhances the sense of spaciousness in the cabin and a pleasant travel experience for our customers.

· Bigger compartment bins.

Inflight entertainment

· Audio Video on Demand (AVOD) for all classes and individual inflight entertainment digital LCD screen.

There are also photos of the aircraft landing and taxiing in KUL, but no interior photo as yet.

" Seats are light weight and thinner providing a wider legroom."

I wonder if these seats are similar to the new LH regional seats which does not recline much.....hope not

Why does MH have more J seats then SQ?Is MH carrying more bussiness pax then SQ?Or will most of the seats travel empty? 30 seems to be such a perfect figure.

MH new A333 - 38J + 245Y = 283 seats

SQ new A333 - 30J + 255Y = 285 seats

Seats on TG doesnt look comfortable tho. Hope they have anti slip covers!

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

No flat-bed seats in Business class! I am very disappointed. This was a real opportunity to trump SQ's angled lie-flat seats and highlight the difference with D7's premium cabin. I'm just thinking of all the wonderful advertising possibilities with providing a flat-bed seat in Business...

not surprised at all with MH - forget about forward thinking or innovation - let's just play catch up!

One key question is whether all 6 rows of business class is located between doors 1 & 2 or if the 6th row is located in the second cabin, after door 2 (something like on the 772)

GA A330 J class is flat seat with 74 inch pitch.

1567965.jpg

I was just being alerted by a friend that although you are right about GA featuring a flat bed on their A332 aircrafts, kindly bear in mind that these aircrafts are leased and intended for the airline's long haul sectors like their flights to Europe. Onboard their owned A333s which are mostly deployed to regional routes similar to MH, SQ and TG's A333s are equipped with lie/angled flat beds like this one:

1895878.jpg

GA's A333s even have a higher number of J seats - 42 in total vs MH's 36.

Why does MH have more J seats then SQ?Is MH carrying more bussiness pax then SQ?Or will most of the seats travel empty? 30 seems to be such a perfect figure.

MH new A333 - 38J + 245Y = 283 seats

SQ new A333 - 30J + 255Y = 285 seats

Seats on TG doesnt look comfortable tho. Hope they have anti slip covers!

Surely they have done their research. MH only sell 36 seats, the other 2 are for crew seats (similar to 772, I think). Don't compare with other airline because SQ business class usually way way more pricey than MH, so they can have less seat and make some profits. From my experience, MH business class on 772 always full out of Australia (not sure about ME). As Azizul said, GA has 42 seats, which 4 (or 6) more seats than MH.

I am not trying to argue or flame anyone yea? Much apologies in advance.

SQ's business model are heavily reliant on premium market, therefore, the Suite R class in A380s, better J class in both regional and international flights as well as soon-to-be unveiled upper deck all J class in A380s. The 'pride and prestige' exudes by SQ allows it to charge a premium price in which many people are willing to pay for it.

On the other hand, MH rely on Y class for most of its business. I am not saying that they are not making money from F class and J class, but the number of seats of both classes clearly tells us that they are gunning for more Y class pax only. F class is only available on MH B744 eight seats only. With 38 seats in the new A333 it can be seen that MH is going for "quantity, not quality". Do you get the flow? Kinda oxymoron.... :clapping: <_>

By charging below other airlines, MH hopes that they can make enough money from J class to recover the cost of operation. SQ's principle is opposite like what Johan has stated. They make money even if the J class is not fully packed. J class on most of my flight with SQ were packed to the brim, except maybe the SIN-KUL flight which many alternatives (i.e. LCCs) are available.

MH is shying away from old days. I think the business model will work well for MH. Rather than flying empty F or J class, they can make some money from Y class. It would be even better if they pursue J, Y+ and Y class only. The example from people willing to pay for Hot Seats on AK proves that some of us Malaysians and our international friends are willing to pay a bit more for some extra space and service. I think it would be a even better for its financial bottom line.

On the side note, I think its a trend now that most airlines are now having angled lie flat seats on their regional flights. GA's case is a bit different as their A333s fly some of their longest route. At least the angle is now at less than 10 degrees recline, almost flat bed. :)

Hopefully, when the A380s arrives, MH will have the same J seats but with fully lie flat seats. Hey, we now have PTVs on our A333 which should be in since like n number of years ago.... <_>

Much apologies if I offended anyone. Please do point teach if I made a mistake. :rolleyes:

Edited by JuliusWong

" Seats are light weight and thinner providing a wider legroom."

I wonder if these seats are similar to the new LH regional seats which does not recline much.....hope not

The economy seats on 9M-MTA resembles more towards SQ A330, well, in terms of cushion design. The seat pitch seems to be wider too, judging from the photo that I saw.

SQ's A333 Y cabin:

1882689.jpg

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Just a minor correction:

F class is only available on MH B744 eight seats only.

F on the B744 comes with 12 seats. F on the A380 will feature only 8 seats.

The economy seats on 9M-MTA resembles more towards SQ A330, well, in terms of cushion design. The seat pitch seems to be wider too, judging from the photo that I saw.

What is/are the colour/s of the seats?

The MH A333 is configured for its regional role. It is not easy for MH to balance the cost-benefit and although we all like better cabins, MH has decided not to position itself as a premium carrier as yet. Perhaps the A380 and the next wide body order will feature more upgrades.

The MH A333 is configured for its regional role. It is not easy for MH to balance the cost-benefit and although we all like better cabins, MH has decided not to position itself as a premium carrier as yet. Perhaps the A380 and the next wide body order will feature more upgrades.

Thought MH A33E to serve Australia?