MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

I think it means that MH will send their newest aircraft to those places in India, not the old A330's.

New from the MH Rumour Department:

MH and Pratt & Whitney will be signing purchase of PW4170 Advantage70 engines for 17 new A330s (15 A333 + 2 A332F) on this Thursday (15 July 2010). Tengku Azmil will be signing for MH and Richard Fair, Senior VP Global Customer Services for P&W.

I would have thought that they would do it at Farnborough to milk maximum publicity. Still it is good to see MH finalising the procurement of new aircraft for their fleet renewal.

I think it means that MH will send their newest aircraft to those places in India, not the old A330's.

The most appropriate way to deploy these new and "exciting" birds should be to places with the highest potential yield returns and with the most challenging routes for such size capacity first before deploying to other routes, regardless India, China , Australia etc.

Perhaps DXB may be a good move to regain some grounds from EK.

Edited by Ruiz Razy

New from the MH Rumour Department:

MH and Pratt & Whitney will be signing purchase of PW4170 Advantage70 engines for 17 new A330s (15 A333 + 2 A332F) on this Thursday (15 July 2010). Tengku Azmil will be signing for MH and Richard Fair, Senior VP Global Customer Services for P&W.

The MH Rumour Department just confirmed that the signing ceremony is now postponed indefinitely. No new date is given to us.

Maybe they want to do it at Farnborough after all.

The MH Rumour Department just confirmed that the signing ceremony is now postponed indefinitely. No new date is given to us.

Maybe they want to do it at Farnborough after all.

No wonder I don't see any signing ceremony news from business section of local newspaper on Friday...

I question in my mind, pardon me if it not-make-sense question...

who is the owner of these engines?it is belong to MAS or PMB?

Or someone slapped down an irresistable counter offer and the deal with PW gets reviewed  :p

Read somewhere (probably from John Newhouse's Boeing versus Airbus) that back in the mid-90s, SQ opted RR for their 777s, even though they were a major PW customer. Rumour has it that PW offered SQ a rather substantial discount for the engines, only to lose out to RR, who may have offered SQ the engines virtually for free.

Maybe someone at GE or RR is using the same approach?

I expect that Bussiness class seats will become a norm in the near future. Swissair has the same seats, I believe. Many airlines have stripped away their first class and make their Bussiness class looks like First. Yea!

KUALA LUMPUR, July 19 – Malaysia Airlines (MAS) has picked Pratt & Whitney to supply 34 engines worth RM2.2 billion (US$680 million) for its 17 new Airbus aircraft.

The 15 passenger and two freighters will be powered by PW4170 Advantage70™ engines, said MAS in a statement today.

MAS has ordered 25 A330-300 and four A330-200F aircraft worth RM14.5 billion at list price which includes engine cost.

The aircraft, to be delivered from 2011 to 2015, will serve the growing markets of South Asia, China, North Asia, Australia and Middle East. The airline has also ordered 55 B737-800s and 6 A380s.

The latest version of A330-300 will offer MAS greater levels of economic efficiency, with lower fuel burn and maintenance costs.

The PW4170 Advantage70™ engines contribute to this performance, making the aircraft one of the quietest, most fuel-efficient and environmentally-friendly planes flying today, said MAS.

The new aircraft will feature a restyled and high comfort cabin. In Malaysia Airlines’ layout, this will feature six abreast seating in business class, with flat bed seats and eight abreast in economy, with all seats fitted with the latest in-flight entertainment systems.

New cabin wall panels with smoother contours will provide more space while larger overhead bins are optimised for roller bags. State-of-the-art adjustable LED (light-emitting diode) lighting can be pre-programmed to offer different settings for mood lighting, it said.

The airline’s current fleet of 9 A330-300s and 3 A330-200s are equipped with PW4168 engines while its 10 passenger B747-400 aircraft and 2 B747-400F freighters are powered by PW4056 engines.

MAS and Pratt & Whitney signed a memorandum of understanding in December 2009 to set up a joint-venture facility for engine nacelle repair in Malaysia.

The new facility will become part of the Pratt & Whitney Global Service Partner network. – Bernama

Will MH actually offer flat-beds in business or is it, as normal, the press going wild with their imagination and mixing up lie-flats with flat beds?

I'm hoping that it will be real flat beds, but knowing MH...it will be actually run-of-the-mill me-too lie-flats but announced as flat beds.

Alitalia's new Business Class on A330:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/runway-girl/2010/07/photos-alitalia-is-magnifica-w.html

Safe to expect something similar or even better for MH?

Dont you already know MH by now? MH will not come out with a benchmark product, but a me-too a few-years-late product.

As per its press release on the engine-choice, business will be 2-2-2. It says "flat beds" although I'm inclined to be believe that this is an abuse of the term and will actually be lie-flats.

Not 1-2-1 ala Etihad or Alitalia.

2-2-2 with flat beds will probably be just four rows between door 1 and 2 on the A330, but could add more rows if staggered layout 1-2-1 like Etihad et al. I doubt MH will have a low density configuration on its new 330s, which goes against its leisure-focused, business interested mantra.

Musnah Harapan!

In the earlier press release, MH mentioned that the new A333 will have 283 seats. I came out with the following assumption:

Interesting fact. Thats mean there will be a reduction of 11 seats from MH's current A333s. The specs:

MH's current A333s - 44J, 250Y = 294 seats

MH's new A333s - xxJ, xxY = 283 seats

Based on the number of seats, I bet MH's configuration for the new A333s would be somewhat identical to SQ's new A333s. SQ's new A333s seat (30J + 255Y) = 285 passengers, just 2 seats more than MH's.

A330.jpg

SQ's new Regional Business Class seats are configured 2-2-2 and they are LIE flat [172 degrees?] (not fully flat).

biz_A330_hero.jpg

The new medium-haul Business Class cabin on the A330-300, consists of seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Upholstered in premium leather and ergonomically designed, you will arrive at your destination feeling rejuvenated.

The inclined-flat seat (with a gentle 8-degree incline) also features an advanced seat control panel that allows you to personalize your seating preferences with ease. An adjustable headrest and lumbar support provides you with a more comfortable rest. Each seat has a fixed back shell that offers enhanced privacy. For even greater privacy, you may use the discrete personal screens between the seats.

A host of amenities is also available to you at your seat – from a centralized all-in-one business panel with in-seat power supply to an impressive 15.4-inch widescreen LCD screen. Stowage areas have also been thoughtfully designed to accommodate your personal items within easy reach, including water bottle, laptop and portable media devices stowage areas and coat hook.

Though MH might not choose the same exact seat, the configurations (seat number, arrangement) would be somewhat identical.

In the earlier press release, MH mentioned that the new A333 will have 283 seats. I came out with the following assumption:

A330.jpg

SQ's new Regional Business Class seats are configured 2-2-2 and they are LIE flat [172 degrees?] (not fully flat).

biz_A330_hero.jpg

The new medium-haul Business Class cabin on the A330-300, consists of seats in a 2-2-2 configuration. Upholstered in premium leather and ergonomically designed, you will arrive at your destination feeling rejuvenated.

The inclined-flat seat (with a gentle 8-degree incline) also features an advanced seat control panel that allows you to personalize your seating preferences with ease. An adjustable headrest and lumbar support provides you with a more comfortable rest. Each seat has a fixed back shell that offers enhanced privacy. For even greater privacy, you may use the discrete personal screens between the seats.

A host of amenities is also available to you at your seat – from a centralized all-in-one business panel with in-seat power supply to an impressive 15.4-inch widescreen LCD screen. Stowage areas have also been thoughtfully designed to accommodate your personal items within easy reach, including water bottle, laptop and portable media devices stowage areas and coat hook.

Though MH might not choose the same exact seat, the configurations (seat number, arrangement) would be somewhat identical.

I would agree with you on this. I think MH's newer A333 will be somewhat similar to SQ's and the seats are not flat bed but lie flat seats (172 degree) since it's for regional flights.

While I haven't really researched on TG, PR and VN, looks like South East Asian airlines are utilizing and designing their A333s for premium regional travels.

GA's A333 used to have 294 seats, just like MH but they have all now been retrofitted. GA's retrofitted A333 now carries only 257 pax (42J 215Y) - a significant reduction for much more comfort.

Their J seats in the A333 are also lie-flats, featuring 15.4-inch widescreen LCD and all the others available on SQ's regional J.

Do you have any info on whether MH will refurbished their older A333 or will they be returned to lessors?

Do you have any info on whether MH will refurbished their older A333 or will they be returned to lessors?

I believe these 15 new A333s will completely replaced the existing 11 A333s and 3 A332s.

I believe these 15 new A333s will completely replaced the existing 11 A333s and 3 A332s.

At least that's a start. MH's current A330-300 fleet is so old!!! Goodbye cradle seats in Business, goodbye big screen at the front of the cabin in Economy. Hello lie-flat (or possibly even flat-beds) seats in Business and PTV in in Economy! For once, with PTV on the 737-800, MH's international product will be consistent throughout the fleet.

Perhaps keeping some say 3 -5 of existing 333s for the next five years may be worth considering for short and high density flights such as SIN, PEN , KCH and BKI from KUL. Furthermore, if KBR expanded, it can seasonally be used for the last 1840 flight out from KUL / Last flight to KUL as that particular flight is the most sought after esp. during festive seasons and weekends. Similarly for TGG / LGK and maybe AOR.

Furthermore, this type may also be usefull for Charter Operations to China, India and Australia when the need arises.

However, product improvements is essentially needed. The very least is to have similar products as 738's for both classes and it does not necessary have lie flat seats for Club.

One of the biggest advantages is that this move may not require extensive CAPEX and the newer frames can be focussed in other needed markets. Once the replacement for 777 comes in ( hopefully those sexy dreamliners) , these "Antique" 333's can easily be replaced with the exisitng 777s or the newer 333s by then.

This is something that is worth considering.

Perhaps keeping some say 3 -5 of existing 333s for the next five years may be worth considering for short and high density flights such as SIN, PEN , KCH and BKI from KUL. Furthermore, if KBR expanded, it can seasonally be used for the last 1840 flight out from KUL / Last flight to KUL as that particular flight is the most sought after esp. during festive seasons and weekends. Similarly for TGG / LGK and maybe AOR.

To deploy the old A333 on domestic routes during peak period only will be a good run for money but aircraft utilization rate will be low. However, given the low resale value of A333 and maintenance is proportion to aircraft utilization, this proposition may be viable and profitable :good:

:drinks:

To deploy the old A333 on domestic routes during peak period only will be a good run for money but aircraft utilization rate will be low. However, given the low resale value of A333 and maintenance is proportion to aircraft utilization, this proposition may be viable and profitable :good:

:drinks:

Ummm another support here. Excellent!

Back to serious business, Crew training and deployment would be another added savings here; as they can be rotated within the same 333s and 380s. Furthermore, O&M ( including spares) would most likely be similar.

Similarly, some 744s may also be worth keeping for freight businesses as well.

I also like that idea of keeping some of the "newest" old 333 for seasonal demands. They'll probably only need 2 or 3 at the most. I wonder what will happen to the old 333. Are they too old to be sold off?

All 9 MH/PMB owned A333s (9M-MKA - 9M-MKJ) were built in 1995, which means they are 15 years old in 2010. The sole leased A333 from ILFC (9M-MKS) was built in 1996, while the 3 leased ex Sabena A332s were built in 1999.

All 9 MH/PMB owned A333s (9M-MKA - 9M-MKJ) were built in 1995, which means they are 15 years old in 2010. The sole leased A333 from ILFC (9M-MKS) was built in 1996, while the 3 leased ex Sabena A332s were built in 1999.

Gosh. They really are old! I wonder if they'll be able to sell any oof them off.

FYI, An aircraft frame can be used up to 20 - 25 years before being "recycled" into frying pans, containers,...etc. This is of course subject to flying hours numbers as well. In case of MH, their 732s and F27 were used since 1972 and 1968 respectively and were disposed around 1992 and 1989, that's 20 years. Similarly, MH 742 were active since 1982!, though it may be stored right now, but it can still be used. In fact, MSA 731's were used way up to the 1990's , equivalent to 25 years!

In this case,say the youngest of the antique 333s were delivered in late 1995 or early 1996 ( 9M-MKJ); that translates to it can be used up to 2015 - 2016. That's an extra 2 - 3 years; assuming MH intents to keep for up to 20 years.

Alternatively , the newer 332s may be another option and can be kept way up to 2020 if need be.

Finally, the Leased arrangements may work in their favour as the rates for these aircraft may decrease gradually and there would not be any Asset Devaluation inmplications to P/L of MH.

I suspect that the leased A333's will be terminated as MH transforms to a 33-67 owned vs leased fleet. The only reason why they might want to retain some of the newer A333s (those with fewer cycles) is for expansion of services. However, until they make a decision on the B772 replacements (by the end of the year), it would be hard to tell.

Are all the current 333 leased? If so, it'll be easy to get rid of them then. :yahoo: