MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

None needed maybe if MH purchase JL 787 slots or goes with JAL to buy 787 as JL has purchase power which effect MH could get in skyteam.

Any chance to acquire B77W from JAL ? ;)

I see your point. However, I believe that the reason MH cannot fill up a 772 is because of the lack of daily service, not in spite of. My observation is limited to Zurich though - MH used to fly 4x per week... too many empty seats, so reduce to 3x per week... it got worse, so in the end it was 0x per week.

For business people, as you mentioned, and also from my experience working in a company where we make about 1000 trips per year to asia-pacific, 4x per week is just not good enough and if they can't get a good share of this high margin business, then it is already difficult to make it work overall (2 main reasons why my colleagues don't fly MH was because firstly the low frequency, and secondly, poor connections out of KUL).

For Y pax, a major portion of European passengers are working people and families on holidays. I have a number of friends who could not book MH because they cannot get flights within the dates of their planned time off work. I mean, you get 2-3 weeks off per year and you want to go on holiday, but you can't maximise your holidays due to the flight schedules. One friend who works at a tour agency told me that it was almost impossible to sell MH as part of the package because of frequency. In the end, as I noticed on a lot of MH flights to/from ZRH, it is just full of retirees and university students who have time on their hands...

Look at emirates.. they did not tip toe into ZRH. They went daily.. then double daily.

Yalah, hard to maximize holidays/travel with MAS. From here in Perth, their frequency is just too low and connection is poor. So naturally it's not the preferred carrier for most people.

For those asking why MAS ordered or didn't ordered this aircraft and that aircraft in the past 15 years, please answer this question first.

How many Chairman, CEO and Managing Directors does MAS have within the same period? And MAS being a GLC, how many Prime Ministers we have during the said period?

During Mr 019’s era, he initiated Transformation programs, over stretched, drained MH and those who questioned his practice were transferred. Mr. 019 and his masters decide which aircraft and engine to buy.

After Mr. 019, his cronies were removed and MH chairman became non executive. Although there were change of MD, BCG report, management designations changed from AVP, VP, SVP, EVP to SM, AGM, GM, SGM but the management was still largely inherited from Mr. 019 and MH didn’t buy any aircraft.

Although IJ brought in a few outsiders but business model and mind set remain largely 1980/90’s.

What has change since Mr. 019 left MH? The board approve which aircraft, engine, etc to buy but the decision is made by the N family.

:drinks:

None needed maybe if MH purchase JL 787 slots or goes with JAL to buy 787 as JL has purchase power which effect MH could get in skyteam.

I think that Boeing will probably offer any vacant B787 delivery slots to its existing customers first so that they can reduce the compensation settlements to them. New orders will just go to the back of the queue.

The temperature has gone down.. what happen? :p

Yes, LAN is already a 767 operator and it makes sense to buy more 767's while waiting for the delayed 787. They might have gotten a good price for these aircraft too. They also managed to get earlier delivery slots for some 787s due to cancellations by others. So Boeing is giving priority to existing orders when delivery slots become vacant so as to minimise their compensation payments.

The MH scenario is somewhat similar - it is already operating A330s and it might have gotten a good price for the new and improved A333s that it has ordered due to the compensation that Airbus is giving for the delayed A380s. The new A333s will be able to fill in while MH is waiting for B787/A350 delivery dates to become more definitive.

The MH scenario is somewhat similar - it is already operating A330s and it might have gotten a good price for the new and improved A333s that it has ordered due to the compensation that Airbus is giving for the delayed A380s. The new A333s will be able to fill in while MH is waiting for B787/A350 delivery dates to become more definitive.

Traditionally, MH is unlikely to replace A33E by 2025. On 772 replacement, MH can choose between A350, 77W and Boeing Y3. Unless MH going to operate 5 types of aircraft, it is unlikely it will order 787.

Wat is Boeing Y3? :blink:

Y3 is part of Boeing's Yellowstone project in the future to replace the whole 7x7 lineups.

Per Wikipedia:

Y1->737

Y2 (787)->767, 772

Y3->747, 773

After reading yesterday's piece on The Star, it would appear that the immediate strategy is to deploy the A333s on Asian and Middle East destinations, 772/744 on other long haul destinations and the A380 on the kangaroo runs. It should be interesting to see what MH orders to replace the 744/772 - this should be done in the next 2 or 3 years.

MAS U-turns to buy, not lease A380s from PMB

By Syed Jaymal Zahiid

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 22 — In a major U-turn, Malaysia Airlines (MAS) will take over the purchase of six undelivered Airbus A380s from state-owned Penerbangan Malaysia (PMB) for RM 1.54 billion to save on leasing premiums and flexibility to manage its assets.

The flag carrier plans to also bundle four Boeings for a total of RM3.19 billion from PMB, which was set up under a November 2002 Wide Asset Unbundling (WAU) to take all assets from the debt-ridden airline.

Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund Khazanah Nasional Berhad owns 100 per cent of PMB, and a majority stake in MAS while its managing director Tan Sri Azman Mokhtar was behind the WAU.

MAS, which signed a deal to buy 15 Airbus A330s and 10 options today, plans to partly pay for its acquisitions through a rights issue to raise at least RM2.7 billion by first quarter 2010.

The proposed acquisitions are said to add RM648 million to MAS’s profit and liability over a period of three years primarily from owning the aircraft as opposed to lease deal.

MAS chief executive officer and managing director Tengku Datuk Azmil Zahruddin told a press conference here that owning an aircraft would give a lower lifetime cost than leasing.

“While leasing ensures that we have flexibility with our fleet, we pay premium for this... with this, we have the option either owning the aircraft or doing a sales and leaseback depending on our requirements,” he said.

MAS will pay PMB some RM1.54 billion in cash for novation of the purchase of the A380s. PMB has issued bonds for its purchases and is expected to use the cash to repay bondholders. It sold the MAS headquarters which is now expected to be turned into a hotel and serviced apartment block in Kuala Lumpur’s Golden Triangle business district.

The carrier is expected to receive one A380 every month beginning August 2011 and delivery is expected to be completed by Jan 2012 after a delay of several years.

The A380s, the biggest among the Airbuses, will be deployed to high-density routes such as London, Amsterdam and Sydney as the aircraft would allow them to carry 35 per cent more passengers.

The A330 wide-bodied planes are due to be delivered between 2011 and 2016. MAS already owns six.

As for the bundling of the four Boeing aircraft from PMB, the state airline is planning to make an upfront payment of RM190 million for it and the aircraft will be sold upon them being unencumbered.

The payment is a form of prepayment for the operating lease rentals under the existing lease agreements between PMB and MAS.

MAS has also recently secured US$126 million (RM426 million) under the Japanese Operating Lease (JOL) for seven ATR72-500s aircraft for its Firefly community airline service.

The deal was was named “Aircraft Leasing Deal of the Year - Asia” by Jane Transport Finance for 2009.

from here

Sorry if this had been posted previously, but I missed it completely back in Dec

So, looks like exit plans for the 772's already in place :)

Price transfer between PMB and MH is amazing :pardon:

It is a novation of the S&P agreement with Airbus. MH will still need to pay the balance of the purchase price to Airbus.

It is a novation of the S&P agreement with Airbus. MH will still need to pay the balance of the purchase price to Airbus.

The flag carrier plans to also bundle four Boeings for a total of RM3.19 billion from PMB, which was set up under a November 2002 Wide Asset Unbundling (WAU) to take all assets from the debt-ridden airline.

As for the bundling of the four Boeing aircraft from PMB, the state airline is planning to make an upfront payment of RM190 million for it and the aircraft will be sold upon them being unencumbered.

That would be for two 772s and 744s each. I am not sure how new the aircraft are but MH says that they would be the newest aircraft in the fleet. They are not buying the old junk. Also not disclosed is whether the deal includes spare engines and other spare parts. So it is not easy to value the deal! Maybe, in the interests of transparency, they should have an independent audit. Being a GLC, the MH shareholders are sleeping and won't be too bothered as it is in one hand, out the other. :(

MH sick of operating as a virtual airline ey? :)

Well the WAU is one big con job as PNB (set up with taxpayers' money) was set up to buy aircraft from MH. As the taxpayers already own MH and all its assets, we are paying for it all over again.... And now they are asking the taxpayers to pay again as MH buys planes from PNB! How many times must the taxpayers pay for old planes???

That would be for two 772s and 744s each. I am not sure how new the aircraft are but MH says that they would be the newest aircraft in the fleet.

Well the WAU is one big con job as PNB (set up with taxpayers' money) was set up to buy aircraft from MH. As the taxpayers already own MH and all its assets, we are paying for it all over again.... And now they are asking the taxpayers to pay again as MH buys planes from PNB! How many times must the taxpayers pay for old planes???

I think it should be 9M-MRP, 9M-MRQ and the 2 B744 freighters. Agreed totally on your point about the WAU exercise!

I think it should be 9M-MRP, 9M-MRQ and the 2 B744 freighters. Agreed totally on your point about the WAU exercise!

Done some checking and the 772's are late 2004 aircraft while the B744's were delivered in 2006. Perhaps another reason why MH chose the A333 is that they may be considering adding the A332F to the fleet, after the 742's leave the fleet.

That would be for two 772s and 744s each. I am not sure how new the aircraft are but MH says that they would be the newest aircraft in the fleet. They are not buying the old junk. Also not disclosed is whether the deal includes spare engines and other spare parts. So it is not easy to value the deal! Maybe, in the interests of transparency, they should have an independent audit. Being a GLC, the MH shareholders are sleeping and won't be too bothered as it is in one hand, out the other. :(

Nit picking here, but its P-M-B. PNB is another unrelated institution.

On PMB, the former PM AAB, in deflecting insinuations that taxpayers money was wasted to buy the Gov.'s A319CJ, famously said that "we didnt buy the jet - we just leased it from PMB..."

Malaysia airline so rich meh one day sure no money the close dont like japan airlines........... air asia rocks!

I think they will go for the 777f than the 330 as it won't require a stop. But it would be better to see a 748 in MH colours.