MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS New 15 A330-300X + 4 A330-200 Freighter

Well, no surprise that AK will be advertising the new A350s leaving MH nothing to promote.

If one goes by past records, AK will not stop at that

It will more like be a "stab 'em and twist the knife, then pour salt on wound" approach instead :p

I think the average passenger will not notice the difference between A333, A350 or 787. Perhaps right now a lot of people want to fly on the A380, but I don't think anyone would go out of their way to choose to fly the 787 over the A333.

Last month I traveled with my wife and her mother on SQ - we got off the 77W in Changi and hopped onto the A333. On the way back we got an older 772 to SIN and I remarked that this is an older plane. It was only then they realized it. Then my wife said the other plane was better. Which other plane, I asked. She goes huh? They are different? She didn't even notice the seat arrangements were different.

A380 would be the exception. Already people here in Switzerland are buzzing about the reports int he newspapers about the new seats and cabins in the A380. What... ? The 77W has been flying here for 3 years now and it has the same seats!

So what if Air Asia advertises their "new A350". MH can also advertise their new "airbus". My wife certainly would not know the difference. If at all, she would notice the different cabins and AirAsia's cramped cabins will not be to her liking.

Oops....perhaps I should say that having a A333s in the skies by then is nothing to promote also..

What do you mean by nothing to promote? Do you actually think that 90% of pax know stuff about airplanes?

To them, its just another aircraft. More then two-third of them cant even tell the difference between one airplane with another. As long as the service is good, comfy seats, good on-board IFE and great fares would be good enough to win pax.

Yes, there will still be plenty of things to promote. Most people only look into the airfare. Some also consider the comfort and frills. Very few will bother about the type of aircraft.

The different planes mean more to the airlines than to customers due to different fuel efficiency, MTOW and what. Naturally most customers couldn't be bothered about these.

Edited by Cheng Long

What are you talking about the average joe will notice the difference for ex. mood lighting, no shades, dimmed windows. etc.. these are avaliable on the 787 not on the 330 and the passenger will notice as probaly SQ will advertise the 787's while MH will advertise anicent technology, even BI has 787's on order. Why is MH is not buying 739's if the 330's are toobig or lease 757's

I think the average passenger will not notice the difference between A333, A350 or 787. Perhaps right now a lot of people want to fly on the A380, but I don't think anyone would go out of their way to choose to fly the 787 over the A333.

Last month I traveled with my wife and her mother on SQ - we got off the 77W in Changi and hopped onto the A333. On the way back we got an older 772 to SIN and I remarked that this is an older plane. It was only then they realized it. Then my wife said the other plane was better. Which other plane, I asked. She goes huh? They are different? She didn't even notice the seat arrangements were different.

A380 would be the exception. Already people here in Switzerland are buzzing about the reports int he newspapers about the new seats and cabins in the A380. What... ? The 77W has been flying here for 3 years now and it has the same seats!

So what if Air Asia advertises their "new A350". MH can also advertise their new "airbus". My wife certainly would not know the difference. If at all, she would notice the different cabins and AirAsia's cramped cabins will not be to her liking.

What do you mean by nothing to promote? Do you actually think that 90% of pax know stuff about airplanes?

To them, its just another aircraft. More then two-third of them cant even tell the difference between one airplane with another. As long as the service is good, comfy seats, good on-board IFE and great fares would be good enough to win pax.

Well, what truly differentiate the B787s with the other aircraft is the larger window and of course not mentioning that there's no window shade better humidity. I am sure passengers can feel the superb comfort on board the B787s with the A333s of which the later was designed in the 90s.

Moving on, AK will be advertising the new A350s when it is delivered to them in few years time. How would MH brand the A330s? IFE isn't something new...besides that, all the premium airlines that operate the A333s has already installed that as well. Betters fares? I don't really think we can expect lower fares in the future as had been mentioned by the new CEO that as capacity is expected to pick up.

Edited by Kenneth T

Moving on, AK will be advertising the new A350s when it is delivered to them in few years time. How would MH brand the A330s? IFE isn't something new...besides that, all the premium airlines that operate the A333s has already installed that as well. Betters fares? I don't really think we can expect lower fares in the future as had been mentioned by the new CEO that as capacity is expected to pick up.

By the time AK gets their A350, MAS will already have a much refreshed fleet, one of the youngest in the region. So I believe MAS will still be attractive. Even with their tired old 737 and A330 now, they are still doing quite OK domestically and regionally.

By that time also, hopefully MAS will have had committed to buying 787/A350, if not they are just digging another hole for themselves.

If we are saying MH is having an aircaft too big or small. Why can't they buy 739er/321 or lease 757/767

The 738 orders , some of it can be turned into 739 orders last i read it here.

for the 757/767 - old tech + recertification for the pilots means more time needs to be invested, and time isnt strong for the MH side.

Azman: suprisingly, i got the A333 when i flew back from singapore earlier this month as SQ118.

The seats are just like the ones they have on the A380. so it was a 2-4-2 arrangement.

Hate the fact that the windows are under my shoulder line though - cant help with airbus planes i guess.

By the time AK gets their A350, MAS will already have a much refreshed fleet, one of the youngest in the region. So I believe MAS will still be attractive. Even with their tired old 737 and A330 now, they are still doing quite OK domestically and regionally.

By that time also, hopefully MAS will have had committed to buying 787/A350, if not they are just digging another hole for themselves.

Well, refreshed fleet with a combination of the new fleets with an cosmetic make up aircraft such as the A333s?

so will they get 350's

Get over it bro, MH will not be getting the 787 no matter now much you theorize, speculate, complain etc. Chill :drinks:

Get over it bro, MH will not be getting the 787 no matter now much you theorize, speculate, complain etc. Chill :drinks:

That's reveals that fleets decision is from MH management or any other reasons rather than costumer focus.

What are you talking about the average joe will notice the difference for ex. mood lighting, no shades, dimmed windows. etc.. these are avaliable on the 787 not on the 330 and the passenger will notice as probaly SQ will advertise the 787's while MH will advertise anicent technology, even BI has 787's on order. Why is MH is not buying 739's if the 330's are toobig or lease 757's

Relax bro, no need to get all worked up over this. I am just telling you from my own personal experience. My wife travels quite a bit too. She does on average 10-20 flights per year. Yet she did not even notice the difference between the old 772 SQ seats and the new 777W / A330 seats, let alone Boeing or Airbus. All she is concerned about during flights is how attentive the service is, if the food is edible, whether there is a nice movie to watch (hardly ever comments on the size of the screen), whether the toilets are clean. She would never take the window seat. In fact very few non-aviation enthusiast I know actually prefer a window seat. In the company I work for, people travel on business quite a lot. What they always talk about is service, how nice the business class seats are, lounges and connection times. There is very little talk about the type of aircraft. Only recently with the A380 coming to Zurich are people talking about aircraft types. But even so, it is A380 vs. the rest.

My point is, Air Asia will say "blah blah blah on our latest generation A350". MH will say "blah blah blah on our brand new airbus". Would average joe know the difference?

But customers will want to fly new like QF/SQ they prefer 380 to 747

My point is, Air Asia will say "blah blah blah on our latest generation A350". MH will say "blah blah blah on our brand new airbus". Would average joe know the difference?

Relax bro, no need to get all worked up over this. I am just telling you from my own personal experience. My wife travels quite a bit too. She does on average 10-20 flights per year. Yet she did not even notice the difference between the old 772 SQ seats and the new 777W / A330 seats, let alone Boeing or Airbus. All she is concerned about during flights is how attentive the service is, if the food is edible, whether there is a nice movie to watch (hardly ever comments on the size of the screen), whether the toilets are clean. She would never take the window seat. In fact very few non-aviation enthusiast I know actually prefer a window seat. In the company I work for, people travel on business quite a lot. What they always talk about is service, how nice the business class seats are, lounges and connection times. There is very little talk about the type of aircraft. Only recently with the A380 coming to Zurich are people talking about aircraft types. But even so, it is A380 vs. the rest.

Well, there are number of differences on the A350s and A330s of which the later was designed in the 90s. I am sure that passengers who has the opportunity to fly the A350s will definitely tell the difference. The A350s technology is as least 20 years newer than the A333s and obviously, passengers can feel the difference when they are on board.

Edited by Kenneth T

Azman is correct in the most logical ways for most non-aviation enthusiast. Apart from us aviation lovers, who'd notice any difference in wide bodies anyway if one is to compare the a330/340/350/772/773/787? They'd not even notice any difference even when we pointed the difference right in front of them. They'd not even be bothered at all just as long as they get adequate form of inflight services, edible food and comfortable from point A to B.

Unless we all have shares in MAS, there's no need to fire up y'all afterburners over these matter. :rofl:

Edited by Ignatius

But customers will want to fly new like QF/SQ they prefer 380 to 747

Yes, I have mentioned a few times already, 380 is an exception. Based on what you are saying, SQ passengers will want to avoid the old 777 even after they have been refurbished?

Well, there are number of differences on the A350s and A330s of which the later was designed in the 90s. I am sure that passengers who has the opportunity to fly the A350s will definitely tell the difference. The A350s technology is as least 20 years newer than the A333s and obviously, passengers can feel the difference when they are on board.

Maybe they can tell the difference, but is it important? Let me put it this way: Average Joe flew the 787 and the flight crew ignored him, they ran out of his choice of food, had to sit at the window because there were no aisle seats left. But he saw a good action movie on the 11 inch screen.

Average Jane got "a WHOLE can of coke!" when she asked for a glass, got her choice of food, no one sat in the seat next to her, and saw a great chick flick on the 6 inch screen. She flew A330. What would Joe and Jane remember from this flight? Would they even remember the size of the IFE screen, or just that they got to watch a nice movie? Next time they fly, would they choose the airline or aircraft? Perhaps Joe might choose the 380 if that route was upgraded because it is a BIG plane, but if it was any other aircraft, I doubt he would want to fly that airline again... unless there is a special offer on...

Actually I am also disappointed that MH is buying "only" A330s. But I also understand that at this point, they have no other choice. A350 and 787 needs so much lead time so would be appropriate for the next round of purchases. That they shouldn't wait too long before ordering is something I totally agree with. From my point of view, you need to balance passenger's comfort with cost-business decisions. These days I find that cabin improvements is not that visible to passengers. It doesn't take anyone long to realize that Y class in 380 is like any other Y class. Well, more frequent fliers will note the quietness of the cabins. Other improvements are barely visible unless you really fly a lot. Is 20 years of tech advancement a lot? Do the average passengers go wow when sitting in a 777 instead of a 767 or 747 for that matter?

If average Joe and Jane may not know the difference between A350, 787, A380, A330, 777, 747, DC-10, A300, 732. Why bother to replace A330 with A33E? :pardon:

:drinks:

Guest redharahmad

If average Joe and Jane may not know the difference between A350, 787, A380, A330, 777, 747, DC-10, A300, 732. Why bother to replace A330 with A33E? :pardon:

Because it will save MAS some money via improved operational efficiency and reliability in the short run? I think the consensus is yes MAS needs the 787/A350 and an order for these birds should come in sooner rather than later for the sake of their longer term strategy/viability.

However, realistically, their current fleet do need urgent replacement and the A333E is probably the only one that can fill that mission profile economically w/o the need to retrain pilots etc.?

Plus, since SQ got their A333 on lease as part of the A380 delays compensation package, perhaps MAS also did get a similarly sweet deal from Airbus? And if (granted it is till an IF) an order for A350/787 does follow suit how different would MAS purchasing these A333E be much different from SQ using the same birds to replace the older 772 while the B787/A350 come online? In fact, MAS would be in a better position than SQ was since they are not introducing a new type of aircraft into the fleet.

Because although the exterior is the same - we still have the smarties seat inside.

Average people will only be bothered to remember two things - whether it was A or B, and how was the service.

The former is just to say that they flew in a plane, but its the software + hardware of the second part is important.

The new A33E's interior will definitely be nautical miles better than what we currently have now in the A332s and A333s.

Also, it has been stated here that no commitments has been made on the replacement for MH's 772s. The 789 and A350-1000 can fill the gap nicely.

And as we are not pry into the boardmeetings of MH, we can only have our boardmeeting here, discussing on what the board meeting is talking about.

Yes, I have mentioned a few times already, 380 is an exception. Based on what you are saying, SQ passengers will want to avoid the old 777 even after they have been refurbished?

Maybe they can tell the difference, but is it important? Let me put it this way: Average Joe flew the 787 and the flight crew ignored him, they ran out of his choice of food, had to sit at the window because there were no aisle seats left. But he saw a good action movie on the 11 inch screen.

Average Jane got "a WHOLE can of coke!" when she asked for a glass, got her choice of food, no one sat in the seat next to her, and saw a great chick flick on the 6 inch screen. She flew A330. What would Joe and Jane remember from this flight? Would they even remember the size of the IFE screen, or just that they got to watch a nice movie? Next time they fly, would they choose the airline or aircraft? Perhaps Joe might choose the 380 if that route was upgraded because it is a BIG plane, but if it was any other aircraft, I doubt he would want to fly that airline again... unless there is a special offer on...

Actually I am also disappointed that MH is buying "only" A330s. But I also understand that at this point, they have no other choice. A350 and 787 needs so much lead time so would be appropriate for the next round of purchases. That they shouldn't wait too long before ordering is something I totally agree with. From my point of view, you need to balance passenger's comfort with cost-business decisions. These days I find that cabin improvements is not that visible to passengers. It doesn't take anyone long to realize that Y class in 380 is like any other Y class. Well, more frequent fliers will note the quietness of the cabins. Other improvements are barely visible unless you really fly a lot. Is 20 years of tech advancement a lot? Do the average passengers go wow when sitting in a 777 instead of a 767 or 747 for that matter?

I love the maturity of your thoughts.. :good: