MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Cornelis Boersma

Spotting in the Caribbean

Goodday guys,

I've been to St. Maarten / TNCM / SXM for a weekend. I'd love to join my SXM Experience with you all!

Flight KLM 0785 AMS-SXM B744: PHBFH

This is how this approach looks from the inside:

On right side you can see the French Airport of SXM for inter-island flights

SXM001.jpg

You can see the airport underneath the wing?

SXM002.jpg

SXM003.jpg

Near hotel you see the pool we've been swimming :)

SXM004.jpg

MAHO BEACH! People down on the beach have been waiting all day for the arrival of KLM 747

SXM005.jpg

Here our arrival on film, yeah I was filming with videocamera and photocamera :D

KLM is posing next to a Norman-Islander

SXM100.jpg

After fast checkin and change of clothes we took place at the worldfamous Maho Beach for KLMs departure to CUR

SXM101.jpg

SXM102.jpg

SXM104.jpg

Traffic during the day mostly excists out of small aircraft doing inter-island flights and business jets

SXM105.jpg

And some heavies come in from The Netherlands & France, USA & Canada

SXM106.jpg

As you have noticed also line-ups can be shot really excellent at this airport. Here some more

SXM107.jpg

SXM108.jpg

And of course... JET BLAST!! Here a MD-80 of Insel Air is departing for CUR

SXM109.jpg

Air France from CDG

SXM006.jpg

Dutch Lady from CUR :yahoo:

SXM110.jpg

Sunset! Nice, but bring anti-mosquito as those small creatures drink your blood nowhere else as fast as here!!

SXM111.jpg

Jetblast caused by MD80 of Insel Air

The next day walking to the airport from Sonesta Hotel, just a 5 minute walk.

SXM114.jpg

While waiting to get boarded for flight to St. Barthelemy heard something go-around, really lots of noise! Then we saw a yeaaahhh! 727 .. 4 minutes later se landed

SXM115.jpg

Too bad weather changed from OK to BAD and landing at SBH wasnt a good sight :( However we did the RWY 10 approach!

SXM200.jpg

SXM201.jpg

You can walk on the runway, no fence or whatsoever, just nothing!!

SXM202.jpg

SXM203.jpg

Most approaches were from oversea so we were lucky to have flown the steep RWY 10 approach

SXM204.jpg

Airport overview

SXM205.jpg

A shot of cockpit from inflight

SXM206.jpg

Takeoff movie: SBH back to SXM

Landing movie at SXM, only "the wrong" runway, but its quite rare to be flown, so I guess we can feel lucky ;)

Then just b4 sunset a few pics from Maho Beach

SXM300.jpg

People just cant read signs, they al stand right behind the runway and want to feel the jetblast.. They are lucky this time its not A340 or B747, but this MD80 causes lots of jetblast as well!! I circled the kid, he was not so lucky this time ending up in Ocean

SXM301.jpg

SXM302.jpg

Some more to follow a.s.a.p.

Edited by Cornelis Boersma

While driving around the island on one of the days we passed the Airport on the French part of Saint Martin, I was to late catching it from the side but this shot still is fine for my collection!

SXM400.jpg

And to finish the tour just a few more from Maho Beach

SXM401.jpg

Aaah before I forget... You remember me mention "This is how this approach looks from the inside" ? Well this is how it looks from The Island!

When this small blue dot appears in the Caribbean sky all people get nervous, the run from the Ocean to there bags looking for camera. The first one to see KLM is shouting AAAAH KLM KLM KLM!! And it just seems like the entire Islands is watching the sky for the blue boy to touch down. After touch down everybody continues with what they were doing

SXM500.jpg

Sh#t!! Water from ocean is coming to close to me, bring camera in dry and safe position before KLM is at my place... RUN RUN!!

SXM501.jpg

J.I.T.

SXM502.jpg

SXM503.jpg

Now stress is gone I finish my beer, and take a few shots of traffic coming in.

This Dash 8 caught together with surfboard displaying all the "interesting" flights. Not all flights are listed!!

SXM504.jpg

KLM taxiing out for takeoff, Air France just came in and backtracking for her gate arrival

SXM505.jpg

Can't you just love her?

SXM506.jpg

Only on Sundays 2 747s arrive. Also one from Paris Orly

SXM507.jpg

I hope you enjoyed!!

UNCLE PIETER AND AUNT MAI : GOODLUCK @ SXM NEXT WEEK! :yahoo:

Hohoho (or should I say WOW), what a fantastic series of pictures and Youtube movies !!! :yahoo: :good:

Really, just LOVE the SBH take-off: what a great sound and spectacular take-off/early turn...indeed, too bad you landed on 28 at SXM and not over Maho Beach...DHT is a great little 'devil', don't you think ? I always enjoy to fly them in East-Malaysia... :pardon:

We're looking forward very much to our day-trip to SXM from SJU; hopefully, we'll also see some great landings/take-offs at SXM !!!

Thanks a lot, bro, for sharing these great pictures and promoting Sint Maarten - Prinses Juliana International Airport... :yahoo:

hye....do all flight from europe to SXM will depart back directly to europe without any transit?.....it looks impossible due to the runway at SXM is a bit short for a direct transatlantic flight to take off...

Thanks you CB for sharing it with us. One word to describe-Paradise where you can enjoy yourself at the seaside while seeing variety types of 'pretty girls' and also drying up your body with those jet blast :lol:

A place where every aviation lover would dream of visiting.. nice stuff there.. love all the wonderful close up back tracking shots.. the light are just spendid.. :yahoo:

hye....do all flight from europe to SXM will depart back directly to europe without any transit?.....it looks impossible due to the runway at SXM is a bit short for a direct transatlantic flight to take off...

KL operates AMS-SXM-CUR-AMS

AF operates CDG-SXM-CDG (without any stop)

Corsair operates ORY-SXM-ORY (without any stop)

Cheers...

Uncle Pieter,from Malaysia to SXM, which airlines (cheap tickets) :p or route will you suggest ??

And also,hows the cost of living at SXM ?

Edited by Li Ren

Thx for comments guys :D

Uncle Pieter,from Malaysia to SXM, which airlines (cheap tickets) :p or route will you suggest ??

And also,hows the cost of living at SXM ?

If you want to fly packed try Corsair from Paris Orly. If you want to fly normal I guess KUL-AMS-SXM or KUL-CDG-SXM is the fastest and only way.. or you want to fly through the USA but that takes much more time to get there

I think the cost of living is a little cheaper then in Europe as I believe all things are free of VAT!

But dont expect it to be cheap. Living standard is much higher then in Malaysia I guess.

Thanks you CB for the info..

Btw,hows the cost of living at SXM ??

Jom, SXM spotting. :p

Amazing photos there... Cornelis! :good:

Do you know what's the cost of flying via US (ie Miami) ... I don't mind the long way round. Hehe...

Thx for very kind words guys :yahoo:

I hope to add a few more pics from SBH & SXM but also from the Island itself later on this week

Amazing photos there... Cornelis! :good:

Do you know what's the cost of flying via US (ie Miami) ... I don't mind the long way round. Hehe...

I think the strech over Pacific must be around the same as what I've found on cheaptickets;) KUL-TPE-LAX and then LAX-MIA-SXM. Just what you'd like more, flying in on AA 738 or flying in on SXM on KL 744!!

I have some friends to visit in NYC n MIA, so i am thinking of doing the round the world thingy. But flying KLM 744 into SXM is tempting. :D

How about SIN-FRA-JFK-MIA-SXM, then SXM-AMS-SIN? :p