MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
zeqa

Royal Brunei to Expand

Having been following BI's development over the past few years, I would say BI is the second worst managed state-owned airlines in SEAsia. When Peter Foster, the kwai lo CEO, came on board on Sept, 2003, BI had a breath of fresh air. His strategic plan can be viewed at http://www.bruneiair.com/news/item.asp?id=43&PagePosition=24. The introduction of the Airbus fleet, retrofitted 767s, Royal Skies, the Sky Lounge, new web site and Internet booking engine are the many major improvements under the leadership of Peter Foster.

And dont forget the abuse by the Royal Family...unpaid cargo bills, planes taken out of scheduled services to accommodate their trips...maybe Foster gave up because of the hidden abuses.

Anyway, maybe BI is never meant to be run as a commercial entity...

Could it mean BI is going to fly to nanyun instead of PEK :rolleyes:

It should be NANYUAN 北京南苑機場 Airport, not NANYUN. Located at the South of Beijing City, Nanyuan Airport is the home of China United Airlines as well as a military airport. The IATA code for this airport is NAY.

Sorry wrong spelling :rolleyes:

It should be NANYUAN 北京南苑機場 Airport, not NANYUN. Located at the South of Beijing City, Nanyuan Airport is the home of China United Airlines as well as a military airport. The IATA code for this airport is NAY.

I actually had few brochuers on the 777 fleet and few IFE mag and muhibah mags MAR 08 how they were talking about the777 coming in. If anybody wants a mag I can sell :rolleyes:

Having been following BI's development over the past few years, I would say BI is the second worst managed state-owned airlines in SEAsia. When Peter Foster, the kwai lo CEO, came on board on Sept, 2003, BI had a breath of fresh air. His strategic plan can be viewed at http://www.bruneiair.com/news/item.asp?id=43&PagePosition=24. The introduction of the Airbus fleet, retrofitted 767s, Royal Skies, the Sky Lounge, new web site and Internet booking engine are the many major improvements under the leadership of Peter Foster.

Everything looked very promising and would give SQ, MH alike a run for money. However, after less than two years in office, Peter Foster abruptly resigned, moving over to Air Astana, which now expands rapidly. Then begins the downward spiral of the airline, destinations such as FRA, SUB, SYD, PVG, TPE and other were all suspended. BI's Skytrax rank dropped from four stars to three. BI suffered from high staff turnover. The B777s deal was off as they are unwilling to pay for refurbishment etc.

Now that they are looking to acquire/ lease B777s again. Fingers crossed, hope that it will happened this time. Brunei doesn't have enough population to support huge number of widebody. 4 or 5 at most. It really need to rely on the transiting pax to support the need, especially the Kangaroo route. Last time they even updated their inflight Entertainment Guide with B777s system even though it was pretty obvious it wouldn't come at all. As for narrowbody, I foresee that the Airbuses will be disposed off in near future to make way for new B737NGs.

Also with them swinging Boeing side again, lets hope they get things done right. BI paid heavily for over expansion last time. Now with MEL, BAH, LAX, FRA, NRT, BJS and Chennai....thats loads of route, although some are resumption of previous destinations

"Routes to Melbourne, Bahrain, Los Angeles, Frankfurt, Narita, Chennai, and Beijing are anticipated to be added from 2011."

Okay seriously... Bahrain, Los Angeles?? Probably in 2020!

RBA needs those B77W as soon as possible because currently they do not own all of those B763s. Most of them were sold, and then leased back. As with the A319/320, lease will expire in 2010 so they are hoping to get an extension until they figure out the replacements.

The previous B777 from UA were cancelled because the bank won't pay for C & D checks, as normally the lease company pays for all the pre-delivery checks.

So hopefully this time with the B77W, all will go well.

Likely expansion next year would be a non-stop to LHR, either SYD or MEL (depends if we can get more slots) and probably HND/NRT.

^^Hello Fauzi, Are you the who also post at airliners.net? I think saw your post with the Brunei flag .Hehehe..

BTW- Is the B787 deal still on for RBA? Didn't the RBA 767 get a major overhaul last year?

Z

Zeqa

Yeah I'm on A.net.

Mr Yang told me personally that the B787s are coming, despite the two year backlog. However, he told me that before LCAL changed their orders for B787, since BI is leasing from LCAL. So I'm not sure if RJ changed their minds or something since they also ordered via LCAL.

As far as I know, non of the BI B767s got a major overhaul, except for RBG because RBG has quite an eventful track record. RBG underwent a technical overhaul, but nothing has changed in the interior.

RBA needs those B77W as soon as possible because currently they do not own all of those B763s.

Can you elaborate on that? I dont quite understand what you meant - what has legal ownership got to do with the urgency to replace the 763s?

RBG in 07 or 08 was supposed to be sold to Air Niugini, but for some reason the deal fell.

Zeqa

Yeah I'm on A.net.

Mr Yang told me personally that the B787s are coming, despite the two year backlog. However, he told me that before LCAL changed their orders for B787, since BI is leasing from LCAL. So I'm not sure if RJ changed their minds or something since they also ordered via LCAL.

As far as I know, non of the BI B767s got a major overhaul, except for RBG because RBG has quite an eventful track record. RBG underwent a technical overhaul, but nothing has changed in the interior.

Zeqa

Yeah I'm on A.net.

That's interesting. I would like to see 787 & also the baby B737NG in RBA colors. The Airbus is ugly :D

So when do we expect to see RBA 777? Soon enough?

I don't know how accurate is Wikipedia- but it states Manchester as RBA next "planned" destination?

The 767- I thought the 767 got a major overhaul. I followed RBG last two years- That was from LHR to BWN as you can my sig pic below- I took pics of RBH which flew me to London and back(2008).Ahh Memories.

Why RBA would want to phase out RBG first? It has the PTV & retrofit interior. I would guess the non-retrofit: RBL & RBK would be the first one to phase out?no?

Z

Edited by zeqa

Well, the way that I understand is that most if not all of the B767s, BI no longer owns them. They were sold, and then BI are leasing them back. I'm not sure if that applies to all of the aircrafts, but I am sure that it applies to at least one of them.

Manchester, will not be a destination in the near future. I don't see it as a viable route for BI. We're only been given rights to fly to Manchester, if we choose to.

I'm not so certain as to why BI wants RBG to go, but RBG is certainly not the first to go. I'm not sure if you guys noticed it, but RBK is no longer in service with the airline. Currently as I know it via ch.aviation, RBK is stored in Dublin, but I couldn't find a photo of it stored there. Can anyone else confirm?

RBK has already left RBA fleet? Sad to hear. I guess the 777 are coming real soon :good:

I've check ch Aviation

http://www.ch-aviation.ch/aircraft.php?search=set&airline=BI&al_op=1

It seems RBK is not even listed

Search results

Entries sorted ascending by type and registration showing 10 airlines per page.

>

Royal Brunei Airlines

Hub: Bandar Seri Begawan | IATA: BI | ICAO: RBA | details

C/N MSN last update model registration remarks former airline former reg. delivered to

2023 0 A319-132 V8-RBP Royal Brunei Airlines

2032 0 A319-132 V8-RBR Royal Brunei Airlines

2135 0 A320-232 V8-RBS Royal Brunei Airlines

2139 0 A320-232 V8-RBT Royal Brunei Airlines

414 25530 B767-33A(ER) V8-RBF Royal Brunei Airlines

442 25532 B767-33A(ER) V8-RBG for Air Niugini Royal Brunei Airlines

477 25534 B767-33A(ER) V8-RBH Royal Brunei Airlines

454 25533 B767-33A(ER) V8-RBJ N67AW Royal Brunei Airlines

521 27189 B767-33A(ER) V8-RBL Royal Brunei Airlines

Edited by zeqa

Well, the way that I understand is that most if not all of the B767s, BI no longer owns them. They were sold, and then BI are leasing them back. I'm not sure if that applies to all of the aircrafts, but I am sure that it applies to at least one of them.

Sale and leaseback is a very normal typical aircraft financing method. Still does not explain why the urgency to get the 77Ws, unless the ops cost+lease rates are cheaper than the opscost+lease rates of the 763, which is unlikely.

The 77W is seen to be too big for BI and with the low ticket prices that BI charges, yields will suffer. And it doesnt have the clout or brandname to start charging higher yiedling ticket prices. BI (operating in a region with big established names like SQ, MH, CX, TG) is not unlike GF amidst the likes of QR, EK and EY.

And dont forget the abuse by the Royal Family...unpaid cargo bills, planes taken out of scheduled services to accommodate their trips...maybe Foster gave up because of the hidden abuses.

Anyway, maybe BI is never meant to be run as a commercial entity...

Oh okies, never knew that this happened. In my knowledge, the Royal Family go global trotting in their B744, A343 and B762. Perhaps we can remember from the old days when they had their four A343s, A310, several G-Vs and B747SP....shuttling between KL, Paris and Singapore carrying their shopping goodies.....miss those old days!!!

I agree with Mushrif. Judging by the expansion plan, RBA is aiming for something big this time round. Let's hope the management get it correct. Perhaps they learn some lessons from Garuda Indonesia?

With the arrival of the new 777 and 787, BI will ended owning no aircraft, after selling or retiring all their B763. Perhaps its a good thing as well as BI doesn't need to burn through so much cash in acquiring the new aircrafts. The arrival of B777s will also mean the re-introduction of F Class, unless BI stripped out 9W's F Class. :drinks:

RBA really need a strong branding campaign to prove its a strong player in the aviation field, not by 'the-only-airline-with-gold taps-in-toilet' branding again. BI tends to shrink as fast as they expand, thats what we have learnt over the past few years. :sorry:

I would like to fly on one of their B763 before they are retired. Sad that RBK is gone, its the only B763 is densest config. compared to other B763 if I am not mistaken. RBL wouldn't stay long as well. I think all of their B763 purchased through AWAS Leasing.

Edited by JuliusWong

Oh okies, never knew that this happened. In my knowledge, the Royal Family go global trotting in their B744, A343 and B762. Perhaps we can remember from the old days when they had their four A343s, A310, several G-Vs and B747SP....shuttling between KL, Paris and Singapore carrying their shopping goodies.....miss those old days!!!

btw, sorry to nit pick but its a 342.

They dont have 343s.

I would like to fly on one of their B763 before they are retired. Sad that RBK is gone, its the only B763 is densest config. compared to other B763 if I am not mistaken. RBL wouldn't stay long as well. I think all of their B763 purchased through AWAS Leasing.

You meant you wanted to check out the gold taps and "throne" WC in ex-F, now-biz toilet? Maybe it had the wow factor when the concept was first introduced in 1986 on the 752, but it wasnt really maintained nor age that well on the 763 over the yrs. In Dec09 - it looked like it was all falling apart, gaudy, not fully functional and very very old fashioned.

Anyway, I still harbour doubts that BI can make the 77W work..economically and make commercial sense. It is very much a forgotten airline in the international scene, limited marketing and tend to scrap the bottom of the barrel with low fares.

Also add the 727 :rolleyes:

They dont have 343s.

You meant you wanted to check out the gold taps and "throne" WC in ex-F, now-biz toilet? Maybe it had the wow factor when the concept was first introduced in 1986 on the 752, but it wasnt really maintained nor age that well on the 763 over the yrs. In Dec09 - it looked like it was all falling apart, gaudy, not fully functional and very very old fashioned.

Anyway, I still harbour doubts that BI can make the 77W work..economically and make commercial sense. It is very much a forgotten airline in the international scene, limited marketing and tend to scrap the bottom of the barrel with low fares.

I think all of their B763 purchased through AWAS Leasing.

It seems quite a good number of their 767s are ex-Ansett Australia's B763 too.

I am going to miss RBA's 767 along with their B757. It was one of the best livery on those birds ever.

They dont have 343s.

Yap, sorry was sleepy when I typed. The 342s...four of them: a lot, WOW!!! Lets not forget the A340-8000 that was ordered but didn't take the delivery.

Oh no!! I haven't seen the gold tape and 'throne' yet, hope they use masking tape to plaster them up before it all falls apart!! It was in B757 as well? I didn't know that. I wonder what will they do with the seats of RBG once they are stripped out. Think it has the old J class. Am I wrong?

Fingers and toes crossed that they will make the B77W work!!! I still think its a bit too much for them. They need A330s at most as the enhanced version can do better than previous ones.

Edited by JuliusWong

It is very much a forgotten airline in the international scene, limited marketing and tend to scrap the bottom of the barrel with low fares.

Yup, under 2.8k for BKI/BWN/LHR/BWN/BKI, taxes all in - and we're talking RM here

And they still can fit more in too

KA/CX is quoting something like twice that BKI/HKG/LHR/HKG/BKI - but largely academic anyway since all four sectors are wait-listed (CNY period) :)

Yup, under 2.8k for BKI/BWN/LHR/BWN/BKI, taxes all in - and we're talking RM here

And they still can fit more in too

KA/CX is quoting something like twice that BKI/HKG/LHR/HKG/BKI - but largely academic anyway since all four sectors are wait-listed (CNY period) :)

WOW!!!RM2.8K for that much!!! :clapping: Its a bargain to die for. Guess scrapping the bottom of the barrel is a true statement to describe RBA now. Its sad that such a cash-loaded airline can ended up like this. I supposed the LHR route is maintained because the landing slot is hard to come by and the close-link between the Royal Family of both countries. Note though I heard LHR flight is always full, maybe again due to the cheap, cheap airfares... :drinks:

Yap, sorry was sleepy when I typed. The 342s...four of them: a lot, WOW!!! Lets not forget the A340-8000 that was ordered but didn't take the delivery.

Oh no!! I haven't seen the gold tape and 'throne' yet, hope they use masking tape to plaster them up before it all falls apart!! It was in B757 as well? I didn't know that. I wonder what will they do with the seats of RBG once they are stripped out. Think it has the old J class. Am I wrong?

Didnt the 4 already include the A340-8000 that was stored for a long time? I believe the other 3 are the present sole 342 V8-BKH, the one that went to Jordan as their royal jet in RJ colours and the third that went to Kingdom Holdings Saudi. Was there another one?

Yes, the gold taps and sink, leather seats all started with the 752. 3-class aircraft, with biz 3-2 seating, and economy in std 3-3 but split into 2 cabins. And TV screens in centre of ceiling. The 752 flew as far as BWN-SIN-DXB-LGW, before the switch to LHR. At that time, 1986, the most luxurious commercial 752 in service.

The hi-dense 763 now no longer have the old J class, as the old F is sold/ marketed as J.

I believe the gold taps / sink started way back since the days of the 737-200. My father took a flight on Royal Brunei in the mid 1970s and told me about the gold fixtures, and brought home a pack of Royal Brunei playing cards. Sadly the cards are gone now :(

I believe the gold taps / sink started way back since the days of the 737-200. My father took a flight on Royal Brunei in the mid 1970s and told me about the gold fixtures, and brought home a pack of Royal Brunei playing cards. Sadly the cards are gone now :(

Nope. The 732s only had the gold touch done up after the 752s came into service, and similar F seats (like those on the 752s) were introduced on the 732s. F was reduced from 12 seats to just 8, within the same cabin footprint, on the 732s.

Don't forget these days BI don't even have any soverniors other than a note pad, pen and folder

Nope. The 732s only had the gold touch done up after the 752s came into service, and similar F seats (like those on the 752s) were introduced on the 732s. F was reduced from 12 seats to just 8, within the same cabin footprint, on the 732s.