MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Tom/PER

Air Asia ETOPS A320's

Hi Folks,

Just got back from a Kuching visit and ont he KL-KCH sector I was fortunate to have 9M-AHV which i'm told at the time was less than a week into service.

Attached are some pics but my questions is how does a ETOPS A320 differ to an non ETOPS bird? The cabin appeared to be the same as the other AK A320's i've flown on (AFY, AFZ and AHE).

dscn1315t.jpg

dscn1316h.jpg

dscn1331g.jpg

lucky!

hope to have a new aircraft and ETOPS aircraft next week

JHB-KUL AK5271.....

Great stuff here Tom, glad to have met you for lunch. Seems like the cabin were no different from the rest of the fleet. I hope someone here could shed some light into the etops configuration that AirAsia has, how it differs from the rest of the non-etops. :drinks:

AHV arrived with its ETOPS modifcation already carried out in TLS and yet to be certified. so far, AFB, AFC and AHU are all ETOPS certified already. basically there won't be much changes, except for a few critical modifications (engine firex system amongst the others, still yet to know more, but will share when i do). otherwise it is more to the monitoring of the engine performance (oil quantity intake, oil quantity used per flight, etc) and mainly affects the maintenance crew approval system.

if you have the patience, you could read up CAP513 issed by the CAA (i think it's google-able) and it pretty much stresses in detail about the requirements.

Edited by Sri Ramani K.

AHX was delivered to AK yesterday and is on its ferry flight back to KUL. Is this going to be ETOPs capable as well?

hey guys..

our ETOPS aircraft are all fitted with slide rafts...

so far AFB,AFC n AHU are Etops...AHV n AHW still waiting for certifation approval from DCA..

AHW is an ETOPS a/c with modification done, but company didn't apply for it to be ETOPS certified.

AHX was delivered to AK yesterday and is on its ferry flight back to KUL. Is this going to be ETOPs capable as well?

AHX arrived this morning and AHY will be arriving later today (i believe). again, mods already done in TLS, but up to company to get it certified as an ETOPS a/c or not.

ETOPS certified aircraft have stricker requirement to carry out in term of maintenance and operation compared to non etops.

I guess AK has decided to have the planes ETOPS capable but only certify them when they have routes that require them. This way, there will be no down time modifying them retrospectively.

4 new planes for the AirAsia group in a week! As well as the two mentioned above, Thai AirAsia took delivery of HS-ABM on the 19th and -ABN on the 22nd

hey guys is 9M-AFC still ETOPS certified? saw 1 pix(taken on Feb 2012) just now and noticed that the 'ETOPS sticker' on the right hand side has been removed, any idea?

hey guys is 9M-AFC still ETOPS certified? saw 1 pix(taken on Feb 2012) just now and noticed that the 'ETOPS sticker' on the right hand side has been removed, any idea?

Saw the aircraft on 14/5 in Singapore. The 'ETOPS sticker' on the right side of the aircraft (near the cockpit) is still there.

ETOPScertification for AK A320s essentially the main thing is the additional fire protection system for the aircraft and for its cargo hold.

Just wonder, are all AK's A320s ETOP rated?

Not very accurate is a very kind remark. ETOPS is about Crew, Maiintenance, Communications and finally aircraft. For an aircraft to be certified ETOPS, systems must have a certain amount of redundancy built in. Crew must be trained in Operations in ETOPS Environment. A/C - Ground monitoring must be in place. Maintenance for ETOPS aircraft is also of a hiigher level than the norm, and MELs must be revised. DCA will also need to be in the picture before such operations commences.

As for the passenger, I do not know the significant or the reason for excitement flying in an ETOPS aircraft.

Flying in an ETOPS certified aircraft is like riding in a Volvo, there is extra safety margin? ;)

ETOPS certified passengers. :p

Just wonder, are all AK's A320s ETOP rated?

I don't think all are. But I think each airline in the AirAsia Group has a few, like this FD A320, seen at SIN:

839306.jpg

Sign in to follow this