MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Tony, where is your heart?

Tony, where is your heart?

NOV 9 — Dear Tony (if I may, or Dear Datuk Seri Tony Fernandes)

I have been meaning to write to you. I know you love getting notes from your AirAsia customers. You have a blog, several websites, wiki page and even Facebook, all for people to get in touch with you. I decided against writing you a direct email because I think what I have to say is widely shared by other people as well. So if you do reply to me, I can share your reply.

Let me congratulate you on your appointment as F1 boss and a trustee of 1 Malaysia Foundation. Second, congratulations on your titles after such a short career in aviation — I mean less than five years ago you were “call me Tony” then you became Datuk and now Datuk Seri. At the rate you are going, I suspect you will be Tan Sri by the end of next year!

The reason I am writing is because I keep reading how well your airline is doing— it’s making tons of money and ordering a massive number of Airbus planes. You have gone international with AA X, insurance, hotels and goodness what else!

Yet somehow I think you have lost your human touch and are now solely interested in making money, just like the blood-sucking Malaysian elite you joined recently. Yet you keep telling us, in your public interviews anyway, that making money is not your main aim but providing a “service” to the rakyat! How can we, the poor rakyat, not remember that before you descended from the mountain, we had to pay “sky high” prices just to fly. As you say, now “everyone can fly”. So, a big Terima Kasih from me and 28 million other Malaysians!

What I am talking about is your reluctance to use the passenger-bridge in all airports in Malaysia. You put the blame on MAHB’s high charges. I’m sure since yours is a volume business, MAHB will be happy to offer you a special deal since you must be their second biggest customer after MAS. I cannot believe that with the millions you are making, you cannot afford to use the bridge. Or if you are really desperate, I am sure you can add 50 sen to every ticket sold to cover part of the costs.

I say this because I took a flight recently from LCCT to East Malaysia. When we arrived, it was raining heavily. Several mothers with children, and old people, were reluctant to leave the plane. But alias, your crew literally pushed them off since they only have 25 minutes to fly out again. I felt so sorry for one of the old aunties who had to carry two bags (she was trying to save RM10 because of your no-free luggage policy) and there was no one from Air Asia to help her with an umbrella. One mummy with children fared even worse. She was carrying an infant and could not hold the umbrella properly. I asked one of the flight stewardesses to help her but she gave me a dirty look. I guess nobody wanted to be caught in a mini-typhoon. I tried my best my help her but she got soaked because the umbrella was designed for one person only.

I can go on and on, and described the scene at the staircase since we all had to walk up to the “arrival hall”. Let’s just say it was a heart-breaking scene. The old people had to climb up the stairs totally soaked, and I will not be surprised if they came down with pneumonia. One of the children slipped because the staircase was wet.

So, Tony, can you please show us your heart? Now that you travel first or business class, and no longer a member of the working class, can you just do this little favour for the rest of us? I am sure it can be counted as CSR and win you another award

Yours sincerely

James Chin

PS: Please tell your PR man not to be rude. One passenger, Andrew Aeria, wrote about the RM5 fee imposed on people using credit cards to book and your PR man attacked him personally — I quote — “It is unfortunate that the writer (Aeria) appears to have overlooked the positive impact of AirAsia and instead chosen to launch a scurrilous attack on our company for reasons best known to himself.” This is no way to reply to your customers. You can reply to your customers without a personal attack. Does this mean that my letter is also a “scurrilous attack” on AirAsia?

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/opinion/jameschin/42758-tony-where-is-your-heart

What would be a practical solution to the problem highlighted @ LCCT? Having to reassign a group of staff (call it the "storm-team") to meet/greet planes on arrival (or send off planes on departure) when there's a storm, specifically to assist young children, lone mothers and the elderly?

Dear James Chin,

There are other airlines that fly the Malaysian domestic routes, and if you search properly, the price could be comparable. Rather than speaking to a wall, why don't you vote with your feet?

-------------------------------------------

I wish this James Chin is here.

What would be a practical solution to the problem highlighted @ LCCT? Having to reassign a group of staff (call it the "storm-team") to meet/greet planes on arrival (or send off planes on departure) when there's a storm, specifically to assist young children, lone mothers and the elderly?

Yupp, Airasia should comes out with solutions soon.....if it still like to maintain best low cost airlines

Dear James Chin,

There are other airlines that fly the Malaysian domestic routes, and if you search properly, the price could be comparable. Rather than speaking to a wall, why don't you vote with your feet?

:good:

Cost of operating aerobridge is not high but the investment cost. Most legacy airport allocate boarding gate on 2 hours block. Block time for LCCT boarding gate can be reduced to 1 hour. In theory, utilization rate for LCCT aerobridge is almost double.

If MAB is not adamant on the design and procedure, LCCT can be constructed at much cheaper cost without compromising safety and fire protection.

Given the number of pax expect at the new KUL LCCT, a surcharge of RM1 per pax in the airport tax should be sufficient to recover the additional invest cost of aerobridge. If the gomen or MAB wish, aerobridge can be installed at the new KUL LCCT.

:drinks:

Recently, upon arriving at LCCT from Guilin, everybody was stuck inside the plane for 20min due to heavy rain. Couldn't even open the doors! Luckily we were not forcibly ejected! :)

Since AK is operating with one type of aircraft only, ie. A320, i think there is a simpler type of aerobridge needed. I personally find the aerobridge design at JQ's terminal at SYD (Terminal 2) is very efficient with low turnaround time. The height of the aerobridge is fixed, it only moves forward or backward.

Since AK is operating with one type of aircraft only, ie. A320, i think there is a simpler type of aerobridge needed.

AK operates the A320. D7 operates the A330/A340 and will operate the A350. LCCT terminal does not only cater for these airlines only. Other low cost carries may operate other aircraft types. As such MAHB cannot just cater to the needs of a single airline as its terminal is not dedicated like the JQ terminal.

Those who criticise AK should get real. Take a look at yourself first before you condemn AK. I would never take my dad on an AK flight because he needs help that only a full service airline like MH or SQ can offer. And why are those old people and women travelling with children going on flights alone, without any assistance from family members. Surely charity begins with your own home?

As such I do not really think James Chin has a valid complaint here. AirAsia never promised anything. So you should not feel disappointed. Set your expectations right and it will be OK. If you want more, just pay more to another airline and you can have your lousy aerobridge. And sometimes, you might not even need to pay more. So no need to bitch about this issue lah! Customers are free to choose which airline they fly on.

Edited by flee

Those who criticise AK should get real. Take a look at yourself first before you condemn AK. I would never take my dad on an AK flight because he needs help that only a full service airline like MH or SQ can offer. And why are those old people and women travelling with children going on flights alone, without any assistance from family members. Surely charity begins with your own home?

Be thankful that you are fortunate enough to have a choice. The same may not apply to many less fortunate others. Many would take the risk or forego nice extras, simply because they dont have extra cash to spend or ignorant of what's available out there. Ignorant because of lack of exposure - largely due to being less fortunate. Some only get to fly once in five years.

What you are saying is akin to suggesting those motorcyclist are stupid for not buying a car as a mode of transport. When it rains, they tend to get drenched.

Dear James Chin,

More often than not, AK tends to be the cheapest - although quite a few times in a yr, MH or FY trumps AK, but only when the former have their promos etc.

And to the majority of the M'sian travelling public which are not that savvy, to get the cheapest, they will blindly go to AK - only AK, without checking what the competitors are offering.

Edited by Mushrif A

What you are saying is akin to suggesting those motorcyclist are stupid for not buying a car as a mode of transport. When it rains, they tend to get drenched.

Good analogy, bro. In any case, better customer service on the part of AK would go a long way in goodwill. Remember the ambulift saga?

More often than not, AK tends to be the cheapest - although quite a few times in a yr, MH or FY trumps AK, but only when the former have their promos etc.

And to the majority of the M'sian travelling public which are not that savvy, to get the cheapest, they will blindly go to AK - only AK, without checking what the competitors are offering.

Domestically MH tends to be cheaper if booked in advance, but internationally AK generally gives better deals. Firefly not so attractive, save for the SZB start.

It's hard to satisfied every1, even Premier Airline has their own problems...

I was wif AK for 1 yr, due to bad weather, umbrellas might be not enough for everyone, but the ground crews will try their best to offer help for the needed. Furthermore,in heavy downpours, rear Portside door will not be open, the aircraft will try its best by Pilots & Ramps to park closer to the Terminal, this will ease the time of getting wet for every1...

Anyway, it is just my 5 cents of view... :rolleyes:

Edited by aaronhiew

Well, to be fair to AK, for all we know, the captain may have asked for the bridge but was denied for whatever reason.

I flew into Kuching a few months back during a heavy thunderstorm and one AK flight arrived just as we were pushing back. Wind was coming from 070 i think, and it made it very inconvenient to attach the stairs to the forward entry door as rain would just rush in. Really heavy rain with strong winds that evening. The AK captain did request for a bridge, but was denied by the tower, who did try to help, as a few other flights were due to arrive and I think there was one bridge which was inop that day. As I taxied past for departure, they tried hooking the stairs up to the forward service door and thats the last I saw of them.

Edited by Andrew K

Where's your compassion, bro?

I think many miss the point, including James Chin. Why are family members not helping their old folks or the mothers of children and leave them to fly on their own? If they are not willing to help their own relatives fly, the least they could do is pay for a full service carrier air ticket for them so that they get better service.

If you cannot afford to fly MH or SQ, then the alternative is to fly AK. Be thankful that you have a choice these days and there is no point bitching about things like aerobridges. In the days before AK, the alternative is not to fly!

Many of us these days do not lead the lifestyle that our income dictates, and many of us do not realise how lucky we are to be able to fly at lower cost these days. I still remember the days when a return ticket to BKI on MH costs over RM 900 and a return ticket to SIN costs RM 700. But low cost has its compromises and costs have to be cut from somewhere.

People are already unhappy about the RM5 "convenience" charge (mostly Malaysians, I might add - foreigners seem to appreciate that such charges are necessary for the LCCs to survive) that AK/D7 have imposed recently. Would those people who complain about no aerobridges ridicule AK/D7 again if the fare was increased if aerobridges were the standard fare on AK/D7 at LCCT? Would these people who ridicule AK/D7 about not being on time understand that sometimes delays are caused by adverse weather conditions?

Why is profit such a dirty word? Profit is needed so that AK/D7 can pay for its new planes and improve other aspects like the lousy call centre. Does James Chin realise that companies need profit in order to expand and improve its services to its customers? Profit is also needed to pay staff salaries and bonuses. AK/D7 is not a charity and some 8,000 people's jobs depend on the airline not only surviving but also thriving.

Finally, what will happen if AK/D7 die? Airlines will then go back to the old style cartels of the 70's and 80's and high fares will be back. If an LCC as big as AK/D7 cannot survive, there isn't much hope for smaller LCCs, is there?

Edited by flee

It is understandable that the customer would hold the man on top responsible for something his subordinates did or didn't do. Personally I haven't seen any AK staff that is rude, except maybe just one a couple of months back. A couple of years back when AK confine my mum in the departure hall for a 12 hour flight delay the customer service staff assign to handle our grouse was also quite polite, although as I have said many time AK's customer service is really close to non-existence. Contrary to that I have seen MH air steward who told a customer that he refused to help put his bag on the overhead compartment.

Back to the issue it's probably a tall order for the plane to use the aerobridge - the pilot can't request something that in the end AK is not going to pay for it. But what the pilot can do I believe is to request the ground staff, or the air steward/stewardess to pay special attention to the elderly or family traveling to young children. Let those who can handle themselves exit the aircraft first. I am sure some machos would eager to show off their heavy soaked tees. Then only help those who needed them.

There is no standard operation procedure for this level of service. It all depends on a lot of issue, including the professionalism of those they hired.

I think many miss the point, including James Chin. Why are family members not helping their old folks or the mothers of children and leave them to fly on their own? If they are not willing to help their own relatives fly, the least they could do is pay for a full service carrier air ticket for them so that they get better service.

If you cannot afford to fly MH or SQ, then the alternative is to fly AK. Be thankful that you have a choice these days and there is no point bitching about things like aerobridges. In the days before AK, the alternative is not to fly!

Many of us these days do not lead the lifestyle that our income dictates, and many of us do not realise how lucky we are to be able to fly at lower cost these days. I still remember the days when a return ticket to BKI on MH costs over RM 900 and a return ticket to SIN costs RM 700. But low cost has its compromises and costs have to be cut from somewhere.

People are already unhappy about the RM5 "convenience" charge (mostly Malaysians, I might add - foreigners seem to appreciate that such charges are necessary for the LCCs to survive) that AK/D7 have imposed recently. Would those people who complain about no aerobridges ridicule AK/D7 again if the fare was increased if aerobridges were the standard fare on AK/D7 at LCCT? Would these people who ridicule AK/D7 about not being on time understand that sometimes delays are caused by adverse weather conditions?

Why is profit such a dirty word? Profit is needed so that AK/D7 can pay for its new planes and improve other aspects like the lousy call centre. Does James Chin realise that companies need profit in order to expand and improve its services to its customers? Profit is also needed to pay staff salaries and bonuses. AK/D7 is not a charity and some 8,000 people's jobs depend on the airline not only surviving but also thriving.

Finally, what will happen if AK/D7 die? Airlines will then go back to the old style cartels of the 70's and 80's and high fares will be back. If an LCC as big as AK/D7 cannot survive, there isn't much hope for smaller LCCs, is there?

I think you are the one missing the point here, flee. Profit isn't a dirty word. Exploitation is. Especially when your monopoly on the budget segment is government sanctioned. Unless a true open skies policy is implemented and competitors are allowed into the budget segment, don't tell the average Joe Public to take his money elsewhere - and that's simply because he doesn't have the affluence you seem to think everyone has. The maxim of "you get what you pay for" only works when there's competition.

Low-cost doesn't mean low-class, and I think many commentators here have already mentioned that before. It's a shame that there are still so many Malaysians who think low-prices justify crappy service.

Profit isn't a dirty word. Exploitation is. Especially when your monopoly on the budget segment is government sanctioned. Unless a true open skies policy is implemented and competitors are allowed into the budget segment, don't tell the average Joe Public to take his money elsewhere - and that's simply because he doesn't have the affluence you seem to think everyone has. The maxim of "you get what you pay for" only works when there's competition.

Low-cost doesn't mean low-class, and I think many commentators here have already mentioned that before. It's a shame that there are still so many Malaysians who think low-prices justify crappy service.

What about JetStar and Tiger? Aren't they competing with AirAsia? Is it AirAsia's fault that the competition is weak? Maybe AirAsia should close down so that no more complaints are received... Then everyone will go home happy!

No aerobridges doesn't mean low class. President Obama also need to climb stairs to get into Air Force 1. <_>

Perhaps people should read the postings of some people stranded in Padang after the earthquake here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583658

AIR ASIA you have our grattitude and thanks

1. for still flying

2. for not chopping us with high ticket prices

3. for very quick ticket purchasing process

4. for very fast group check-in when much of your flight handling infrastructure was down

5. thanks to your senior managers at the check-in counters who got things going very quickly

6. thanks to one of your flight stewardesses on the flight who provided the passanger in front of me with a hot cup of tea and the famous Air Asia Nasi Lemak when she had not enough money to pay for it (not from CB6 group)..... that was VERY touching

Indeed, the World's Best Low Cost Carrier 2009 ..... congratulations Tony Fernandez..... you have a very good crew on the ground and on your planes

Edited by flee

AK operates the A320. D7 operates the A330/A340 and will operate the A350. LCCT terminal does not only cater for these airlines only. Other low cost carries may operate other aircraft types. As such MAHB cannot just cater to the needs of a single airline as its terminal is not dedicated like the JQ terminal.

As such I do not really think James Chin has a valid complaint here. AirAsia never promised anything. So you should not feel disappointed. Set your expectations right and it will be OK. If you want more, just pay more to another airline and you can have your lousy aerobridge. And sometimes, you might not even need to pay more. So no need to bitch about this issue lah! Customers are free to choose which airline they fly on.

Flee,

You really should look yourself up at the mirror and repeat everything you wrote, and tell me you agree with everything the man in the mirror said.

What about JetStar and Tiger? Aren't they competing with AirAsia? Is it AirAsia's fault that the competition is weak? Maybe AirAsia should close down so that no more complaints are received... Then everyone will go home happy!

No aerobridges doesn't mean low class. President Obama also need to climb stairs to get into Air Force 1. <_<

Perhaps people should read the postings of some people stranded in Padang after the earthquake here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583658

Open skies? Now where's Jetstar or Tiger when I need em to fly from KUL-KCH I wonder...

As for the president, you're completely lost it I think. I'm not even gonna bother on this one. Suffice to say, the president would never have to walk to AF1 drenched.

Many still have the mentality that MAS is very expensive while Air Asia is just cheap, cheap, cheap. Many do not even bother to check out MAS air fares when booking a ticket. What a shame ! Because sometimes MAS really is a lot cheaper than Air Asia :(

The same may not apply to many less fortunate others. Many would take the risk or forego nice extras, simply because they dont have extra cash to spend or ignorant of what's available out there. Ignorant because of lack of exposure - largely due to being less fortunate. Some only get to fly once in five years.

Very well said !

Actually not only during promotion. If you check for MAS tickets between KUL/BKI now for travel in December, you will still be able to find very cheap MAS tickets while AK is just so bloody expensive.

If you guys are flying internationally, always remember to check out SQ, CX, KL and TG. Most of the time these airlines are a lot cheaper than AK.

May be not even the relatives can afford a full service carrier. Could be due to a number of reasons ...

Basically James Chin is calling Tony Fernandes a hypocrite.

Yet somehow I think you have lost your human touch and are now solely interested in making money, just like the blood-sucking Malaysian elite you joined recently. Yet you keep telling us, in your public interviews anyway, that making money is not your main aim but providing a “service” to the rakyat! How can we, the poor rakyat, not remember that before you descended from the mountain, we had to pay “sky high” prices just to fly. As you say, now “everyone can fly”. So, a big Terima Kasih from me and 28 million other Malaysians!

I still remember the days when a return ticket to BKI on MH costs over RM 900 and a return ticket to SIN costs RM 700.

RM699 actually. Then increased to RM711 after 9/11.

People are already unhappy about the RM5 "convenience" charge (mostly Malaysians, I might add - foreigners seem to appreciate that such charges are necessary for the LCCs to survive) that AK/D7 have imposed recently.

Not quite true. I believe FR was the one that pioneered this "convenience fee" several years ago and people in Europe have been bitching about this for years. Tony Fernandes basically copied the whole FR model and bring it to Malaysia.

I still remember that back in 2002 when Tony introduced a whole new concept of travel in this part of the world, many praised him as if he is a genius and he was the only person in the world to come up with such business plan. Many people in Malaysia did not know this kind of business model is nothing new. He copied everything from FR and what he did was to bring it into Malaysia.

Why is profit such a dirty word? Profit is needed so that AK/D7 can pay for its new planes and improve other aspects like the lousy call centre.

Agreed ! But ...

Does James Chin realise that companies need profit in order to expand and improve its services to its customers? Profit is also needed to pay staff salaries and bonuses. AK/D7 is not a charity and some 8,000 people's jobs depend on the airline not only surviving but also thriving.

There is something call corporate social responsibility ;)

Edited by Isaac

People who have benefited from AK promo fare will likely to check fare on AK first and book if they find the fare is reasonable although can be more expensive than MH. Guess this call customers loyalty.

5 star service is associate with 5 star price. Most people has the perception that MH is expensive although MH domestic is cheaper if book months ahead.

:drinks:

He copied everything from FR and what he did was to bring it into Malaysia.

He should have copied Southwest Airlines, the granddaddy of all LCC. They managed to be profitable and maintain high customer satisfaction for a while now.

Regardless of all the grumbles about AK, their website has virtually been overloaded since last night due to the ongoing sale. Early this morning managed to get return tix KL-Haikou at RM89, for Jun '10! I'm a happy puppy. :good:

Regardless of all the grumbles about AK, their website has virtually been overloaded since last night due to the ongoing sale. Early this morning managed to get return tix KL-Haikou at RM89, for Jun '10! I'm a happy puppy. :good:

i bought 7 tix for a friend to BKI in Aug 2010. cost?

RM12 airport tax * 7 = RM84

Supersave RM10 * 5 * 2ways = RM100

Combo Meal RM8 * 6 * 2ways = RM96

Convenience fee? RM0 (pay direct debit laa) = RM0

Total? RM280.

Sign in to follow this