MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Ailerwrong

AirAsia - shameful ...

I'm not sure about anyone else here, but when I see a Malaysian flagship carrier in the state that I find AirAsia's aircraft on

, then I think Tony Fernandes needs to spend less time and money on the likes of Man United, Williams F1 and his Lotus project, grab some Windex and get up to his elbows in some maintenance. I challenge anyone who knows anything about flying to say that this article or this article are too far off the mark, and that AA management's attitude is acceptable on the basis of national pride if nothing else. It's bad enough that we're a laughing stock when foreigners see how Malaysian business is conducted here without our safety being second rate. As a Malaysian, I say clean up your act AirAsia! If anyone disagrees, speak up! If you see my point and feel that we should speak up, then go ahead and voice any thoughts too. I'm new to the forum and I'm sorry to start off with a whinge. Malaysian Wings is a really cool forum, and I imagine populated by other Malaysians that are equally dismayed by this as myself.

all i can do is just laugh :) the guy who recorded that vclip; is he a structural engineer or what? c'mon, there are WORST scenarios than that (that is if the videographer has traveled on other airlines who operate old 737s lah). this is like putting a magnifying glass on something that is way beyond your case study. seriously, i ponder if that vid belongs to you or not. and if you're unaware, i shall just enlighten you that the particular a/c in that video is a 737-300, with a HS registration, operating for Thai AirAsia, and their days in that particular airline is just coming to an end soon.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I agree with you Sri Ramani! can only laugh!

Totally tuned out when i got to that bit (of article) where the author started comparing number of flights and employees between SQ and AK, and the total flying hours a pilot can do in Malaysia vs Europe etc... For the love of god, stop comparing apples and oranges! It's a bit like trying to compare laws in different countries, which obviously won't work, if you get what i mean??

Anyway, good stuff. Now I can carry on and catch some sleep. Cheers,

Edited by Tony

WOW!!! I mean WOW!!!! Are u 1 of the writers of the blog? They all sound bitter and seem like they have major discontent against AK. Its good that you try to educate people about safety in flying, but why focus on only 1 airline? I agree with these 2 above. There are many other other things worth doing. I wonder if the person shooting the video purposely took the flight to record all those. Haha.... Peace.... :drinks:

...and that AA management's attitude...

Let's make it clear, it's not American Airlines (AA) we're talking about here... :blink:

I'm amused that several of you find it amusing. Full points, it is a 737-300. And perhaps you are also correct when you say its days are coming to an end. By the look of it, let's hope you're right.

I think it's you who missed the point, because the fact is that this old 737 clunker is still flying today and in case you missed it, that same old clunker is in a trashy, unacceptable state. In so much as it is an ancient relic, the need to maintain it goes double. I'll accept that AirAsia is a no-fills airline, but that shouldn't apply to maintenance. Missing rivets? Rust? Metal fatigue? Sections of wing literally peeling away? Passable? I'd warrant this AirAsia bucket needs a hell of a lot more work than it's evidently getting right now. If that's 'apples & oranges' and we cannot be expected to exhibit the same level of professionalism and care you'd find anywhere else in the world, then it's really little wonder we're widely seen as third-world. I notice nobody touched on the filthy politics either. Personally, neither issue is something I embrace. To quote you, Tony: "It's a bit like trying to compare laws in different countries, which obviously won't work, if you get what i mean??" Yes.

That's what I thought the athour should write AK :rolleyes:

Let's make it clear, it's not American Airlines (AA) we're talking about here... :blink:

Rivet missing, skin bulking, rusty, hey bro look closely...it is on main structure or just on the fairing....

"no step" means that surface is not a fragile surface, it is a movable surface..if u step u might damage the hydraulic system beneath it, not the structure.

go investigate first before throw some bullets...once that 737 land, go and see, discuss with engineers, or maybe you do the NDT on that wing structure, took close pictures, and come with conclusion, not just share with us a shakes video that we doesn't know the origin and date of that video...a youtube video...c'mon...

i know u a smarter than this...by comparing some safety articles, a shakes video, can u make a concrete conclusion that AK is a not safe airlines? c'mon engineers out there? is it a correct way? plus, registered with MW only to create this thread?

B/regards,

Aero Engineer.

Edited by Mohd Idham

I'm not sure about anyone else here, but when I see a Malaysian flagship carrier in the state that I find AirAsia's aircraft on

, then I think Tony Fernandes needs to spend less time and money on the likes of Man United, Williams F1 and his Lotus project, grab some Windex and get up to his elbows in some maintenance. I challenge anyone who knows anything about flying to say that this article or this article are too far off the mark, and that AA management's attitude is acceptable on the basis of national pride if nothing else. It's bad enough that we're a laughing stock when foreigners see how Malaysian business is conducted here without our safety being second rate. As a Malaysian, I say clean up your act AirAsia! If anyone disagrees, speak up! If you see my point and feel that we should speak up, then go ahead and voice any thoughts too. I'm new to the forum and I'm sorry to start off with a whinge. Malaysian Wings is a really cool forum, and I imagine populated by other Malaysians that are equally dismayed by this as myself.

I'm amused that several of you find it amusing. Full points, it is a 737-300. And perhaps you are also correct when you say its days are coming to an end. By the look of it, let's hope you're right.

I think it's you who missed the point, because the fact is that this old 737 clunker is still flying today and in case you missed it, that same old clunker is in a trashy, unacceptable state. In so much as it is an ancient relic, the need to maintain it goes double. I'll accept that AirAsia is a no-fills airline, but that shouldn't apply to maintenance. Missing rivets? Rust? Metal fatigue? Sections of wing literally peeling away? Passable? I'd warrant this AirAsia bucket needs a hell of a lot more work than it's evidently getting right now. If that's 'apples & oranges' and we cannot be expected to exhibit the same level of professionalism and care you'd find anywhere else in the world, then it's really little wonder we're widely seen as third-world. I notice nobody touched on the filthy politics either. Personally, neither issue is something I embrace. To quote you, Tony: "It's a bit like trying to compare laws in different countries, which obviously won't work, if you get what i mean??" Yes.

you sound very eager to create a heated debate.

I'm curious how you came to find "metal fatigue" on AK planes. Perhaps a quick rainflow analysis & coherent optical cross correlation process summarized by miners rule was done before you uploaded your "facts" ?

the most important thing to know is how little you know. After all, a little knowledge is a deadly thing.

@Ailerwrong,

Geez, do you know we still have plenty of 737 classics flying around, and yet haven't fallen out of the skies? Yes they look trashy and old compared to some of the newer machines, but do you really have proof to say they are unacceptable by DCA standards? I'm not even going to touch on politics here. DCA will have to adopt international standards set out by ICAO et al, so don't think about blaming politics here.

As with others, how do you claim an aircraft is sufferring from metal fatigue, simply by flying on it - as a passenger??

AirAsia Horror - The videos they didn't want us to see

Breathtaking AirAsia Mid-Air Mechanical Faults

You 2 you tube titles above shows you have got a issue with the airline and are trying desperately to smear its reputation.

Edited by jadivindra

Quotations are from: http://airasiaannus.blogspot.com/2008/09/air-asia-convice-us-theyre-unsafe.html

We are the Causeway Co-Op. At our core, we are a group primarily made up of Singaporean, Malaysian, Thai and Australian students and university graduates practicing advertising, marketing, law, finance, HR and many other streams.

Okay, given you added "many other streams" which I presume includes engineering (aerospace/structural), I observe that your opinion is simply a laymans opinion with no REAL evidence, so I do ask that our fellow MalaysianWingers not to attack your opinion, but perhaps explain to you that essentially, 'there are two sides to a coin".

Secondly...

We do not instruct our audience not to fly with this airline. BOYCOTT MALAYSIA! That's right, we encourage you to take your tourism dollar anywhere but Malaysia. Let Malaysia know and Air Asia will soon get the message! Alternative airlines are listed here

Let's not get political. If you're not happy with AirAsia or any of its subsidiary airlines - then don't fly. If you want to cross-promote Jetstar Asia and Tiger Airways through some sort of unsubstantiated 5-star rating of on-time performance against AirAsia - knock yourself out. I assume you ("Ailerwrong") are involved with this "Fly Air Asia? Not Me" blog, but if you really wanted to boycott Malaysia as you so proudly announce in your blog, you wouldn't post on our MalaysianWings site - a site that is predominately Malaysian - unless ofcourse you had ill-intentions.

Boohoo to you. Go and grab a tissue for your issue - i'm all out.

Edited by Sandeep G

Hai...nak kena mamat nih :aggressive: ...sorry joke, joke...

but seriously your blog his anything but full of bias...I am satisfied with MH and AK without a doubt...one of the things (apart from the level of service, which i don't really complain) is the aircraft types...MH use older 737 and AK use newer A320...sometimes I am fed up with this Malaysia related bashing as if nothing is good about Malaysia.

Yes, another group of people with personal agendas!

I dare say that although AirAsia has not yet suffered an air crash with loss of life, it will happen sooner or later - that is a statistical certainty. Even Singapore Airlines, highly respected for its professionalism and safety record did not escape that.

This looks like a rather stale story. Currently, the AirAsia group operates only about 16 Boeing 737-300s (all of them by Thai & Indonesia AirAsia) and all of them are scheduled to be phased out by next year.

Finally, the fact that some of their planes are grounded for long periods of time does indicate that safety is taken seriously and planes are not put into service if there are defects that may cause loss of life.

So lets move on, this is a non issue...

Edited by flee

Ailerwrong,

If you have substantiate evidence of any safety violation by AK, you can forward to DCA or equivalent in Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, China, Australia, Britain and EU, at least one of them will investigate else your accusation is just another among thousands of conspiracy or disgruntle websites.

Safe Landing!

:drinks:

Quotations are from: http://airasiaannus.blogspot.com/2008/09/air-asia-convice-us-theyre-unsafe.html

Okay, given you added "many other streams" which I presume includes engineering (aerospace/structural), I observe that your opinion is simply a laymans opinion with no REAL evidence, so I do ask that our fellow MalaysianWingers not to attack your opinion, but perhaps explain to you that essentially, 'there are two sides to a coin".

Well Said Sandeep.

I might also add that I am inclined to believe that this may just be another case of the layman believing that Low Cost Carrier's have different laws pertaining to maintainence and safety compared to Normal Carriers. I think they tend believe that LCC's have it "easier" compared to non- LCC's. Its a common misconception but you should not go around making baseless accusations with no clear cut evidence. Lets leave that to politicans.

I dare say that although AirAsia has not yet suffered an air crash with loss of life, it will happen sooner or later - that is a statistical certainty. Even Singapore Airlines, highly respected for its professionalism and safety record did not escape that.

Okay. Not that's a scary thought :lol:

Well what I'm going to say is that "that's what you get for what you pay"

Personally, I'm not too optimistic on Air Asia's safety (Referring to those old 737s not those new buses), but if you did take a look on other airlines around the world, lots of them have even worse condition aircraft flying at 30,000 feet. Anyone say Adam Air? lol

By the way, I'm new here, and I just knew that my username looks awful but I had no idea who's to contact here to change the username. Any help?

EDIT:

Take a look at this

http://www.faqs.org/shareranks/3783,A-list-of-some-of-the-Safest-Airlines-in-the-World-%282009%29

Title: A list of some of the Safest Airlines in the World (2009)

Take a look at the 3rd position, careful not to spit your blood on the monitor.

Edited by h3csc

that list looks very doubtful. QF sitting on No.1 spot??? :blink:

QF have a fair share of incidents in the past two years but not actual accidents involving fatality which is why QF is still deemed the safest airline in the world.

One question though, how come MH, SQ and CX are not listed :angry:

Edited by Isaac

By the way, I'm new here, and I just knew that my username looks awful but I had no idea who's to contact here to change the username. Any help?

Welcome to MW !!!

Gavin, our Administrator, will be able to do this for you...