MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

MH 734 Gear Collapsed at KCH

Hello everyone,

We understand that there is a lot of curiosity surrounding the MH2517 B734 gear collapse incident. Investigations are still ongoing but allow me to shed some light on what we know thus far.

This type of incident has never happened before in our 62-year history. The aircraft had undergone routine heavy maintenance check in August 2008 and light maintenance check in July 2009. The aircraft is also checked during every transit and every night.

As a proactive measure, immediately after the incident, we did an E&M check on all the landing gear system for our entire B737 fleet and everything was found to be normal. All the aircraft in our fleet will continue to go through strict checks in accordance to the approved maintenance schedule.

We apologise to our passengers for this incident. Safety of our passengers is paramount, and we are working closely with Boeing's structural experts and the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation to ascertain the cause of the incident.

Regards,

Captain Azharuddin Osman

Director of Operations

Malaysia Airlines

:clapping: Thank you Capt! Let's hope the investigation will go on smoothly and shed some light on what really happened...hopefully we can learn from this incident and help other planes from suffering the same fate. All the best!

I distinctly remember something like this happening to a Fokker F27 also in KCH many years back. A guard near the plane was crushed to death. I believe this was one of the factors that led to MAS upgrading their aging F27 fleet to the later F50's.

I distinctly remember something like this happening to a Fokker F27 also in KCH many years back. A guard near the plane was crushed to death. I believe this was one of the factors that led to MAS upgrading their aging F27 fleet to the later F50's.

Really? That's so sad...hmm...is that why KCH is haunted??? Hahahaha!

Yes , i do recall on that incident of the crush to death involving the F27. I believe it has something to do with the safety pins of the landing gear??, cant remember.. but poor fella being crushed to death :sorry:

looks definitively like a component failure on the mair landing gear assy..sadly it seemed to damage the structure around the torque box in the wing area,so there will be probably need for a serious major repair..just a matter of time anyway..that bird will come back in the sky,no doubts :good:

looks definitively like a component failure on the mair landing gear assy..sadly it seemed to damage the structure around the torque box in the wing area,so there will be probably need for a serious major repair..just a matter of time anyway..that bird will come back in the sky,no doubts :good:

ANy idea on costs of repairs and if it is economically viable to repair given age of plane?

hi all,

my first post here and very new to this forum btw.

I'd experienced the same sort of accident on EK A330-243 in '07 MUC-DXB flight while taxiing for take-off. The plane was bout ~1.5km from RWY26L when it happened and we got delay for bout 24 hours. However, the damage wasnt as bad as MH732 (the wing was still above the ground)- may be cuz the A332 is higher than the 737?.i was carrying an excess baggage of 30kg dat day(but got free-waive by the emirate's staff, so i was thinking i'm definitely going to have to pay for that extra weight now when going through the re-boarding but luckily we were only allowed to take our hand luggage with us :) ). We got free nite stop and during dinner-the airport hotel had the dinner hall ad-hocly prepared just for the paxes and made all of us felt like some sort of crash survivors. One of the pax was a flight engineer (different airline) and he was saying dat he cud understand if the accident had been on BIMAN's a/c but not on EK, all of us would have been cooked 'well-done' if the accident had occurred after V1, the damaged could have been during hard landing, dat sort of thing. And next day before boarding, most of the pax were checking the a/c and making sure it wasnt the same one :) and making fun of the whole thing-EK shouldnt have used racing 'absorbers', did EK just used cellotape etc..

The whole experience was kinda cool to me (except the 'well-done' part) and this sort of thing can happens to any airlines or a/c regardless whether its a 1 star or 5 stars, the only that set the different is the way the airlines manages the whole affair-ensuring the passenger comfort.

got couple of pics of the a/c during disembarking, but dont really know how to attach it in here (the pics are in my drive)

..... However, the damage wasnt as bad as MH732 (the wing was still above the ground.....

Gee, my guess is you won't be around to relate your experience with us here if the wing had ended up below the ground in that incident :D

Warm welcome !

Thanx on the welcome note :). Btw, its good to see dat MH used proper tool(the airbag contraption) to lift/hold the wing. Good for the airline's image i would say. I'd seen some other airlines that just use makeshift device for maintenance/repair work ...technically it would probably work but it does bring a bit of skepticism.

got couple of pics of the a/c during disembarking, but dont really know how to attach it in here (the pics are in my drive)

Welcome on board MW !!! :drinks:

You can open a photobucket account for free and 'copy-paste' your picture-links there to here.

Thanx bro,

got the bucket up and just upload the pics.

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

sorry bout the quality, took it only from my mobile cam. not sure if the pics can provide any info on what had happend, any guess?

Good to see some pics there Madfikri.. what an incident. welcome to Mwings :clapping:

Looks like hydraulic leakage on the right-hand wheel-strut... :mellow:

The MH Rumour Department leaked the following photographs to the public several days ago. I received it in my personal email. It looks like 9M-MMR is quite badly hurt, but I guess the experts know better. Hope for a full recovery soon. The topic, surprisingly, was being discussed in Indoflyer.Net in a much thorough details than here (although some of the forumers there are implying that MH is trying to cover up this incident).

DSCN2113.jpg

IMAGE_349.jpg

afttrunnion.jpg

brokendragbrace.jpg

dragbracerestingonlowerwingsurface.jpg

fwdtrunnion.jpg

lhmlgsideview.jpg

lhmlg.jpg

lhmlhaftview.jpg

rabbitsear.jpg

There were passengers onboard? Wow... That must be an experience....

Probably feel like tayar pancit..the plane being lopsided..

I think they should just write off the aircraft.. it's old and had had quite significant damage.. even if technically can be repaired, passengers may not feel confident to fly..

wow.. very very close up and i dont even know which is whch part hehehe.. good stuff anyway.. 5star :drinks:

The MH Rumour Department leaked the following photographs to the public several days ago. I received it in my personal email.

While the damage is quite bad, put in mind that the photographs don't have proper reference either horizontal or vertical. Looks like the photographer just put his camera up and shoot. Unless one is familiar with the subject, the damage can seem to be far worse than it actually is.

Sign in to follow this