MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Walter Sim

USAF Thunderbirds Far East Tour

Awful day for an airshow! And I had to sit in the car park for almost 2 hours before being able to get away!

So I started the day resigned to taking ground shots:

Tbirds_091003_05.jpg

Tbirds_091003_01.jpg

Tbirds_091003_00.jpg

As the display started, I was tempted to try my luck:

Tbirds_091003_02.jpg

Tbirds_091003_03.jpg

Tbirds_091003_04.jpg

So thats it folks - Thunderbirds 2009!

Hello & Good Day guys... :)

Here some shots from me on the Air Show day...I have some photos on practice day,,that will be edit & upload later...

Part I - Sukhoi-30 MKM of RMAF 11th Squadron Gong Kedak AFB...

Roll out at 1043LT from the AB

SZB03Oct09_01795_edited-1.jpg

At same time commercial turboprop get busy out from SZB before the airspace close about 2 hours...

At 1057LT low height takeoff and steep turn towards the AB

SZB03Oct09_01817_edited-2.jpg

The best SU30 shot I ever captured on sky

3977664142_29f74c22b6.jpg

Large version

Belly shot

SZB03Oct09_01903_edited-2.jpg

Others pix of SU30 not really nice since weather play big factor yesterday also not interest me on SU30 show this time compare to last time during 50 years celebration.

Dedicated to 1 of your spotters at the tower

SZB03Oct09_01923_edited-2.jpg

Entering taxiway to air base on 1106LT

3977015619_3f20aeff7f.jpg

More less on 15 minutes show by the SU30,,compare 30 min as stated in schedule...

Could be due to weather,,C-17 also not show his power as yesterday.

For large version

Let see the pilots for our latest fighter jet...

SZB03Oct09_01932_edited-1.jpg

But,, B) B) B)

SZB03Oct09_01936_edited-1.jpg

Will continue soon with F16 Thunderbird...

WTF with the finger lah? He's showing it to the VIPs is it? :angry:

Just one from me at the moment. Reached home around midnight and now still a bit dizzy.

TB_5124.jpg

Edited by Waiping

Waiping,

Wah you came all the way for the show! I hope u got their souvenir booklet and some autographs too! :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your shots!

Waiping,you come all the way from BKI for Thunderbirds,hope to see more pics from you.. :good:

Didn't ajak Louis along?? :lol:

Edited by Li Ren

thanks alot for the tips TK!!will show u the results later tonight..really tired from the airshow..was there since 7.30am and left only around 4pm..need to recharge first.. :p

Yes, sifu TK's tips will set you on the right track. Do post your pix and maybe we can learn something from you too. Hope you enjoyed your visit to TUDM Subang! :)

also related to the Thunderbirds show in Subang AFB but more towards the aftermath of the show..

IMG_SAFB.jpg

whenever Bolehlanders gather in a huge numbers, this is the result and it speaks a lot of Bolehlanders attitude...

To be fair, all the dustbins were full! But yes, the rubbish should have been taken home for proper disposal!

at least when dustbin are full... you throw right beside the dustbin, not all around .... boleh!

Was there event dustbin? where! I can't find any! I was holding my plastic back all the way back, including the 2:30 hours jam! Terrible!

Nice pictures from all, and some are simply awesome. Many Malaysian-based internet forum also features lots of photos of the Thunderbirds. However nothing beats MalaysianWings for the extensive coverage by its members, technical know-how and most important of all, the passion for metals that fly.

I wasn't able to attend the official show day on Saturday. So I made sure I make it up on the rehearsal day on Friday.

Here are some photos taken from the Parking Rooftop, MAS Complex B, SZB.

C17 short aerial show

IMG_9164_edit_1copy.jpg

Shortly, the RMAF Su-30 MKM took off to the skies

IMG_9171_edit_1_copy.jpg

The Sukhoi is a very big fighter aircraft, even when compared to the Falcons

IMG_9198_edit_1_copy.jpg

IMG_9194_edit-1copy.jpg

The Thunderbirds F-16 rehearsal

IMG_9231_edit_1_copy_1.jpg

Showing off its afterburning butt

IMG_9394_edit_1_copy.jpg

IMG_9530_edit_1_copy.jpg

Break formation

IMG_9538_edit_1_COPY_1.jpg

More photos to come. Hopefully I'll try to show angles that spotters on the ground missed.

Edited by Fitri Shukri

whoaa..nice pics fitri!!loved the ones with the afterburners..

sad news was,my cars timing belt putus on the way back yesterday..need a major overhaul now so i still cant upload my pics yet..so excited to show u guys but cant! :p

@flee

my pics not as good as fitris but since this is my first time i cant tell you how proud i am!have a few 'surprise' pics to show as well since i was at the front most of the crowd..prepared the list of maneuvers beforehand so i know where the good photo opportunities are...and came REALLY early to make sure i was at the middle of showcentre!so i was quite prepared although some of the shots i planned to take failed due to the speed of the planes..

the weather changed alot so i should have changed my settings as well but not enough knowledge yet..so some pics are not properly colored..will keep learning so i get supershots like u guys!it was a VERY VERY happy day for me..although ended up with me stuck on the PLUS highway.. :p

Waiping,

Wah you came all the way for the show! I hope u got their souvenir booklet and some autographs too! :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your shots!

No lah. Just coincidence only and was there with Taiko Sam. Too bad didn't get the souvenir booklet, just bought some pins for myself.

Sorry for posting garbage. After the airshow and everyone retreated to the hangars, this happened.

IMG_5169_filtered.jpg

didn't realize that there are so many fly passed! haha...

some small contribution by me! before the show.

_DSC0128.jpg

holy sm0k@....

_DSC0163.jpg

drinking waters from US! anyone wan? :p

_DSC0180.jpg

someone attract her attention from my back but she look another way round. wuakaka....

_DSC0146.jpg

busy.......

_DSC0174.jpg

_DSC0184.jpg

preparing for a ground inspection??? or a demo? haha...

_DSC0190.jpg

cheers!

Edited by Samuel Chy

i saw that!!was like a cyclone or something..i had problems finding a rubbish bin too..ended up with a mineral water bottle jutting out of my pocket..

However nothing beats MalaysianWings for the extensive coverage by its members, technical know-how and most important of all, the passion for metals that fly.

I wasn't able to attend the official show day on Saturday. So I made sure I make it up on the rehearsal day on Friday.

Agree 100% with you - now I wonder who has news of their departure. If some of us can cover that, then we will have a complete record! :)

I think that if you were there on Friday, it had the best weather (despite the haze) for photography. Whilst it was a pity you did not make it on Saturday, I think that you will be happy that the rest of the "crew" here have shared their pix with all of us.

It was nice meeting so many of you and to see such great coverage of the USAF Thunderbirds 2009 Far East Tour! :)

sad news was,my cars timing belt putus on the way back yesterday..need a major overhaul now so i still cant upload my pics yet..so excited to show u guys but cant! :p

@flee

my pics not as good as fitris but since this is my first time i cant tell you how proud i am!have a few 'surprise' pics to show as well since i was at the front most of the crowd..prepared the list of maneuvers beforehand so i know where the good photo opportunities are...and came REALLY early to make sure i was at the middle of showcentre!so i was quite prepared although some of the shots i planned to take failed due to the speed of the planes..

the weather changed alot so i should have changed my settings as well but not enough knowledge yet..so some pics are not properly colored..will keep learning so i get supershots like u guys!it was a VERY VERY happy day for me..although ended up with me stuck on the PLUS highway.. :p

Sorry to hear that you had car problems - maybe you can ask the Thunderbirds' technical crew how they manage to keep everything running all these 50+ years of air displays without a single cancellation due to maintenance problems!

Very good to hear you had a great day! Now you will need to study your results and know how to repeat the formula for the successful pix. You also need to analyse the failures and try not to repeat the errors again! :)

Edited by flee

haha..thunderbirds crew must have been sleeping soundly already by then..saw that they were obviously drained by the hot sun.all merah merah muka...btw ill start posting some pics here..and since this is my first time with a DSLR i hope u guys wouldnt mind me posting alot of pics..abit excited at the moment! :p

i took a lot of pictures of the crews since honestly,after seeing the manpower involved in making the show a successful one,i think this guys deserve alot of credits too!

just arrived.9am sharp!was quick to find a front slot to test my new cam!

DSC_0170copy.jpg

interesting communication equipment brought along by the thunderbirds!

DSC_0182.jpg

the crews!they were very friendly and sporting in acknowledging the crowd!

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

this guy ignacio in the desert camouflage..full of energy in entertaining the crowd before the show started..and note the guy beside him!

DSC_0216.jpg

sporting!!makcik beside me was so excited!

DSC_0219.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

makan nasi lemak ayam

DSC_0231.jpg

the planes!

DSC_0238.jpg

samuel,looking for her? :lol:

DSC_0244.jpg

crews sweeping the tarmac for foreign objects

DSC_0249.jpg

DSC_0251-1.jpg

the crowd..

DSC_0230.jpg

"i take ur picture,u take my picture!fast! fast!"

more to come.. :)

Edited by iwan

yup..said "selamat datang" and more surprisingly,even said "insya allah" when asked if the show would go on despite the weather.. :)

more pics,

MkM coming out of nowhere..after the long wait even watching it taxi was exciting!

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

makcik marshall shocked by the size of the MkM!

DSC_0264.jpg

now flying pics..struggled to capture good ones here..almost like im using my phone to capture..comments are much appreciated! :)

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

stopped snapping after awhile and enjoyed the show..sukhoi landed soon after and its time for the THUNDERBIRDS~!!

remote controlled pilots walking sychronizingly to their respective planes..

DSC_0331.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

pilots looked so good and guess who passed by??our very own maj. Azman Jantan (callsign:mantan)..pilot of the MkM.

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

taxiing out..love to see them wave at the crowd!beautiful plane with a beautiful color scheme!

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

and while waiting for the thunderbirds to "run em up!" MkM demanded more attention!

DSC_0383.jpg

pics are still blurred i dont know why.. :(

more pics!!

diamond formation

DSC_0415.jpg

DSC_0415.jpg

simultaneous aileron rolls..

DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0440.jpg

calypso pass

DSC_0443.jpg

this was one of the pictures i wanted most!!the crossover break but my cam couldnt focus in time.. :( :( :(

DSC_0446.jpg

thunderbirds diamond pass in review

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

low speed high alpha pass..

DSC_0464.jpg

one of my favourites!solo pilot overtaking the diamond formation in front of showcentre!

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

didnt edit or crop this pics except the crossover break since im still trying to figure out where i can improve..

Edited by iwan